As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I won't be pre ordering because I don't care about the pre order bonuses and that I never intended to pre order and that is a choice I made and I am happy with it.

The cognitive dissonance is astounding. You're happy with your choice to not get pre-order bonuses because you don't care about the pre-order bonuses and yet you admit that you intend to pirate them anyway because you don't like pre-order hype (which suggests that you care about it). This is enough to logic bomb an AI.
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    You don't know how to explain it because you are wrong, pretty simple.

Yes, they do it for no reason beyond annoying you. Drop it.
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Speaking of DLC stuff, I gotta say; either my ability has improved or the Return to Ostagar/bonus stuff from Leliana's Song, Golems of Angarak, and Witch Hunt) gear is just that badass, because I just straight-up won last fight in the Denerim Malificar house without any trouble. The last time I played through (without the DLC stuff), I had to resort to all sorts of poison and traps and stuff I don't normally bother with.

Felt good to kill those blood mages.

People actually use poisons and traps? Hell, the only thing I use herbalism for is making rank 1 potions.

I managed to win that fight by giving Alistair KD immunity, luring them all out into the hall, and having Wynne and my PC blast the shit out of them with Blizzard and a shitton other AoEs while Dog stuns them. It still took me three or four times to win.

The problem with that strategy is that it cutscenes your entire group into the room with the blood mages, so you can't set up outside the room and lure them into a bottleneck as easily. Plus, I've been tending to do it before I get the big AoE spells my last couple playthroughs (Morrigan has... Cone of Cold. That's it). I think the last time I tried I was level 8, and this time I was level 10. On the level 8 attempt, I needed to lace the corridor with traps, use poisons, and the whole deal to win that one, and it took several attempts. This time it took two attempts, first time because I actually thought that I had to resort to that trickery; the second time I just straight up beat them down with my superior equipment.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Z0re wrote: »
    I think we should talk about Varric now.

Something I'm curious about is crossbow mechanics, and how they've changed from Origins. Hopefully crossbows won't utterly suck anymore, but more importantly can Varric use normal bows? Are crossbows distinct loot still? Will Hawke be able to use those sweet crossbows? Why the hell didn't more people ask these questions during the live chat instead of wasting them on "Will we have choices?"

Varric can only use his one crossbow (he calls it Bianca), but it levels up with him, so that's okay. I don't know that they've said if there are other crossbows that Hawke and Sebastian can use, but I don't see why not.

Huh, I must have missed this somewhere. I wonder if other items besides it and the pre-order sword will level with you?

Z0re on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    eEK! wrote: »
    Z0re wrote: »
    I think we should talk about Varric now.

Something I'm curious about is crossbow mechanics, and how they've changed from Origins. Hopefully crossbows won't utterly suck anymore, but more importantly can Varric use normal bows? Are crossbows distinct loot still? Will Hawke be able to use those sweet crossbows? Why the hell didn't more people ask these questions during the live chat instead of wasting them on "Will we have choices?"

Varric can only use his one crossbow (he calls it Bianca), but it levels up with him, so that's okay. I don't know that they've said if there are other crossbows that Hawke and Sebastian can use, but I don't see why not.

It seems like they are trying to give each character more individuality though weapons and armor (as opposed to Origins) so I'd guess Sebastien won't be able to use crossbows.
    Nah, if there are crossbows, I'd be willing to bet that he'll be able to use them. They'll likely function exactly like normal bows, after all, and you can change everyone except Varric's weapon within that class of weapons (so Isabella can equip various daggers but not bows, Aveline can equip swords/maces/axes and shields but not two-handed weapons, etc).

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love the resemblance between Lady Hawke and Mama Hawke. Hopefully all the presets are that good.

I did hear that Bethany's skin tone and some of her other features are based off of Hawke's, which means you in essence alter Bethany's (and maybe Carver's and Hawke's Mom) by altering Hawke's appearance, which is kind of cool.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well...I think they did that because they learned their lesson in DAO...even if it was hilarious.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well...I think they did that because they learned their lesson in DAO...even if it was hilarious.

Yes, the Couslands adopted an old diaper-wearing man into their family. It's been established.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So the Couslands aren't altered based on how your character looks? Huh, guess I got lucky, cause I actually thought "Cool, that guy actually looks like my dude's brother!" D:

Question: is Witch Hunt worth playing? I heard it's so-so, but since my character actually went looking after Morrigan in Origin's ending, I thought I could give it a try.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Even people that like Morrigan are disappointed by Witch Hunt 90% of the time.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Varric can only use his one crossbow (he calls it Bianca)

Whoa, what? ... Ugh, that kind of annoys me. Couldn't they have just given all crossbows a similar framework and flipout blade, or whatever Bianca has?

Also the 1:1 dex:crit chance sounds pretty amazing.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Maz- wrote: »
    Question: is Witch Hunt worth playing? I heard it's so-so, but since my character actually went looking after Morrigan in Origin's ending, I thought I could give it a try.

Witch Hunt is okay if it's not the final word on the Warden's story. If it is the final word, it's going to be anticlimactic BS for most people.

As a DLC by itself, it's just fine.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Varric can only use his one crossbow (he calls it Bianca)

Whoa, what? ... Ugh, that kind of annoys me. Couldn't they have just given all crossbows a similar framework and flipout blade, or whatever Bianca has?

Also the 1:1 dex:crit chance sounds pretty amazing.

No, because that's his crossbow. Just like your party has ownership of their clothes and doesn't swap it out for anything you find lying around on someone you just bludgeoned to death, he doesn't want to give up the use of his crossbow for some several hundred year old thing you found in a box.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like that with Varric. He, by allrights should keep using Bianca. I know Sten never used Asala even though it was his frickin' SOUL. I always had another 2-hander at that point that was way better.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Hand over Vera, Jayne. Here's a gun with +1 DEX and a dragon on it."

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Even people that like Morrigan are disappointed by Witch Hunt 90% of the time.

Well, it's only fair that we get to disapprove of HER for once.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No, because that's his crossbow. Just like your party has ownership of their clothes and doesn't swap it out for anything you find lying around on someone you just bludgeoned to death, he doesn't want to give up the use of his crossbow for some several hundred year old thing you found in a box.
    What if the several hundred year old thing is made out of pure awesomium?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What if Bianca is?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Well played.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What if Bianca is?

There is always a better crossbow.

Couscous on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    What if Bianca is?

But there isn't because Bianca levels up with him.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Well played.

Thank you.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Narrowing the spectrum of items you can collect and equip is fine with me, as long as they don't do something crazy like simplify it to retardation like Mass Effect 2.

This system they're going is very similar to Planescape: Torment, so going by the transitive theory it can't be bad.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pancake wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    What if Bianca is?

But there isn't because Bianca levels up with him.

It would be pretty awesome if Bianca just keeps getting loaded up with more and more little gadgets and better looking parts as the game goes on, until it looks like some steampunk contraption.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It already kinda looks like a Steampunk contraption.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Or maybe he can use something other than a crossbow because crossbows suck.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well, he's an Archer Rogue so he has to use bows of some sort, and Bianca is at least as good as anything else.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    I hate crossbows as much as I hate siege weapons being shown being used in a regular battle. Except as a one off shot at the beginning of a fight, it makes no sense outside of an organized military and every medieval flavored setting seems required to have them in some bastardized form as advanced steampunk technology.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You know what else doesn't make sense? Four people killing hundreds of dudes. But it's cool so it doesn't matter if it makes sense in the real world because it's not the real world.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You know what else doesn't make sense? Four people killing hundreds of dudes. But it's cool so it doesn't matter if it makes sense in the real world because it's not the real world.

Well, there have been real people who have killed hundreds of dudes.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It makes sense when those four guys have insane amounts of potions.

Or to be serious, when those four guys are highly skilled, trained, and experienced and are fighting a bunch of stupid monsters, cheaper mercenaries, and the occasional actually decent fighter.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Couscous, stop channeling Spoit. Crossbows were wickedly powerful, and one of the reasons why knights started to lose power. Hell, even the Vatican tried to ban them once or thrice.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, just beat Awakening on my God-Warrior-Mage-King(Hell, my blade got as much screen time in the epilogue as my companions). It was fun, got me in the mood for DA2, but now I am wondering.

Has Bioware discussed the save import things that is going in to DA2? I have pretty much not looked at anything for DA2, so sorry if this gets brought up often.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Most of said real people's dude-kills were not in melee combat, assisted by people who warp reality with their brains.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Did they do backflips and dual wield and shout so loud that their opponents were sent flying backwards?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Couscous, stop channeling Spoit. Crossbows were wickedly powerful, and one of the reasons why knights started to lose power. Hell, even the Vatican tried to ban them once or thrice.

They are only useful when you have a bunch of other people with crossbows backing you up. Three shots per minute compared to ten shots per minute with a bow leaves an obvious victor in a fight between a small group of people.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It doesn't matter it's not the real world stop being a pedantic goose.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am uncomfortable with unrealistic weapons and armor in my magical dragon rpg

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Longbows are also cooler looking, especially compared to many of the steampunkish abominations used in various media.

Couscous on
  • Options
    NineNine Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Actually Varric's crossbow looks similar to a chinese repeating crossbow. Those could fire 10 shots or more without reloading.

Nine on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Crossbows have more power per shot. Both would be useless compared to someone who can hurl the rutting elements of nature out of his/her fingertips.

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Has Bioware discussed the save import things that is going in to DA2? I have pretty much not looked at anything for DA2, so sorry if this gets brought up often.

The extent hasn't been revealed yet, though, going from what we saw in Mass Effect 2, we can reasonably expect that the game remembers all of our major decisions throughout the expansion and DLC. At the very least, this will include the fate of the Warden and the rulers of Ferelden and Orzamarr, and probably some background reference to recurring companions.

At the very most (and what I'm hoping for) is that there are a lot of little changes depending on playing the first game. I want to have the potential to see:

Sophia Dryden / Avernus
    Honnleath demon
    Connor (possessed or not)
    Starfang (it vanished from my damn inventory, it better have gone to DA2!)
    Vigilence
    Jowan (slippery bastard)
    The Silver Order
    Branka or her golems
    The Blackstone Irregulars' leader (father or son)
    The Amaranthine Smugglers
    K. or D. from the Denerim underworld
    News of Vigil's Keep's status
    The results of the Libertarians' conclave
    Sten and his special sword

Those are the main things I want. Hearing about the dwarf girl who became a mage might be cool, too.

Dracomicron on