Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PLANETSIDE II] - Stupid Sexy Vanu [~LAUNCH IN 1 DAY~]

13468996

Posts

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think i've ever seen anything announcing the game itself was free, but yeah $30 is kind of ridiculous at this point for the game, but then again it is soe, and they never make anything free.
    Oddly enough, their handling of EQ2's expansions is far better than the competition's. If you buy the latest expansion you get all the old ones for free. If you create a new account (doesn't require you to buy the game, just pay 15 bucks to subscribe) you get all except the last expansion for free.

    On the other hand, WoW will run you $120 bucks (130 if you're not getting the Battle Chest) just to catch up with Cata.

  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't believe the base game, BC, and Wrath cost 40 dollars each anymore.

    @nealcm @faynor
    nerdgasmic.gif1420 6068 6113 - XBL Atomoclassic
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When I said catch up I mean including.

    I believe the prices off the Battle.net store were 20 for vanilla, 30 for BC, 40 for Wrath and 40 for Cata, and you could save 10 bucks if you bought the first however many in the battle chest.
    Boxed off Amazon (which is a bit of a pain, because we're Europeans playing on US servers) it'd be 30 for the Chest, 30 for Wrath and 26 for Cata. So, $86, still a great deal more expensive than what it'd cost to catch up to EQ2, and a great deal more expensive to catch to up Everything Except Latest Expansion.

    [edit] Apparently you get 20% off if you buy them all in one go. A 'steal' at $88US.

  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i'm feeling the itch pretty badly, i looked up my character on planetside's website, its been 3 years. next week i will be back in the saddle :shock:

  • Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Yaaaaaa so I resubbed.

    Went all cloaker with reaver cert on my rank 13. Let's see if this is still fun!

    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Which server/faction are you guys with on ps1?

    e:
    Guess there is only the one server now, I have a 5 vanu and 5 TR guy.

    hobbessig.png
  • Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User
    edited February 2011
    I'm 13 nc. Don't hate me I haven't played since like two weeks out of beta.

    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seaborn111 wrote: »
    I'm 13 nc. Don't hate me I haven't played since like two weeks out of beta.

    Scool, I can make a NC, level 5 is like out of training.

    My name will be Morkath.

    e:
    Or I could not play vanu or NC since apparently those characters are locked from entering the game for 12 hours? wtf is this bullshit?

    hobbessig.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Morkath wrote: »
    Seaborn111 wrote: »
    I'm 13 nc. Don't hate me I haven't played since like two weeks out of beta.

    Scool, I can make a NC, level 5 is like out of training.

    My name will be Morkath.

    e:
    Or I could not play vanu or NC since apparently those characters are locked from entering the game for 12 hours? wtf is this bullshit?

    Well, so you don't teamhop to spy on people or some such bullshit.

    Pony_Sig.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    when i sub next week it will be my 18 vanu, so thats how i'm going to be rolling

  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User
    edited February 2011
    On my 15 Vanu right now, desperately hoarding NC weapons.

    Any sufficiently advanced friendship is indistinguishable from magic.
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok my vanu guy is named "Morkath-M", due to the name change bullshit when they condensed all the servers. You would think it would keep the name of the character higher than level 1, but eh.

    hobbessig.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    3 things they have to fix for PS2;

    Exp; it is rediculous to do 90% of the damage to something, essentially "tank" it, and then someone else gets the killing blow and you get no xp.

    Weapon disparity; They cannot have the unbalanced between faction crap there is now. I am looking at you lasher, stop being a useless piece of shit. "Oooh look at me, I do 1 point of damage to anything within a foot of the projectile, who cares if I do like 10% the damage of the other two HA guns!"

    Infantry movement speed; They need to give infantry a way of getting around faster, like the MAX run mode.

    hobbessig.png
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User
    edited February 2011
    The BEP and weapon disparity are really huge problems, yeah. For the speed thing once you hit 6 you can slot the Surge implant for a sprint function. Agiles are damn near impossible to hit if they surge past you.

    Any sufficiently advanced friendship is indistinguishable from magic.
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Morkath wrote: »
    Infantry movement speed; They need to give infantry a way of getting around faster, like the MAX run mode.

    Or like a vehicle? Not sure what you are proposing there. I think the design should keep infantry reliant on vehicle transport, preferably the APC type things or Galaxy's.

    iyjXwV5uPHHfO.jpg
    Steam (Ansatz) || Planetside 2 - Vanu (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    Infantry movement speed; They need to give infantry a way of getting around faster, like the MAX run mode.

    Or like a vehicle? Not sure what you are proposing there. I think the design should keep infantry reliant on vehicle transport, preferably the APC type things or Galaxy's.

    Yeah, I think it'd work out better with vehicles being the main way to get around. The tough part is encouraging the use of multi-passenger ones over solo ones (i.e. teamwork over disposable Mosquitos).

    Nice to see they still haven't figured out how to balance the Lasher, or at least ignore the players whining about it. I remember it going from decent to way overpowered to decent to average when I was playing.

    (You should be able to rename your character by using a command like /rename or something like that, but there might have been a period of time that you had to do it within. Can only do it once, and on a character that was tagged with the suffix after the merger. At least, when they merged the servers for each coast they offered something like that.)

    steam_sig.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Enig wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    Infantry movement speed; They need to give infantry a way of getting around faster, like the MAX run mode.

    Or like a vehicle? Not sure what you are proposing there. I think the design should keep infantry reliant on vehicle transport, preferably the APC type things or Galaxy's.

    Yeah, I think it'd work out better with vehicles being the main way to get around. The tough part is encouraging the use of multi-passenger ones over solo ones (i.e. teamwork over disposable Mosquitos).

    Nice to see they still haven't figured out how to balance the Lasher, or at least ignore the players whining about it. I remember it going from decent to way overpowered to decent to average when I was playing.

    (You should be able to rename your character by using a command like /rename or something like that, but there might have been a period of time that you had to do it within. Can only do it once, and on a character that was tagged with the suffix after the merger. At least, when they merged the servers for each coast they offered something like that.)

    Yeah this is the real problem, I don't mind needing a vehicle to get around, but all the high level old players just use their single seaters, and I don't have enough cert points yet to get a vehicle along with my guns and armor.

    hobbessig.png
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Morkath wrote: »
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Enig wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    Infantry movement speed; They need to give infantry a way of getting around faster, like the MAX run mode.

    Or like a vehicle? Not sure what you are proposing there. I think the design should keep infantry reliant on vehicle transport, preferably the APC type things or Galaxy's.

    Yeah, I think it'd work out better with vehicles being the main way to get around. The tough part is encouraging the use of multi-passenger ones over solo ones (i.e. teamwork over disposable Mosquitos).

    Nice to see they still haven't figured out how to balance the Lasher, or at least ignore the players whining about it. I remember it going from decent to way overpowered to decent to average when I was playing.

    (You should be able to rename your character by using a command like /rename or something like that, but there might have been a period of time that you had to do it within. Can only do it once, and on a character that was tagged with the suffix after the merger. At least, when they merged the servers for each coast they offered something like that.)

    Yeah this is the real problem, I don't mind needing a vehicle to get around, but all the high level old players just use their single seaters, and I don't have enough cert points yet to get a vehicle along with my guns and armor.

    Play an infiltrator. They only certs you need are the suit and hacking, more or less. Get your stab on.

    0liDg.png
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Think one of the issues is that while there's a lot of nice open space in between bases/towers that you can have huge battles on, there isn't really any incentives to have battles there (or ways to sustain them for long, in terms of being able to respawn or get vehicles.)

    Respawning can be solved by both sides bringing AMSes and hiding them, but most of the time things revolve around the bases or towers. Which, if you're on assault and you don't have an AMS up (or have the tower, if you're fighting over a base), are (as established) pretty far from your spawn at your base. Hence the need for vehicles.

    Ideally there'd be a way to have the best of both worlds: require teamwork in vehicles but without shafting players who can't get a vehicle/get a spot in a vehicle. No idea how that would work, though - first thought would be to have smaller tower-like things (field outposts, in a sense) scattered in the space in between things where you could spawn at and fight over. Basically, have more places where there might be action so the action isn't too far away.

    There are pretty big issues with that idea, though.

    Alternatively (and more practical-ish): huge incentives for fielding a multi-seat vehicle. The current system of "driver drives, gunner guns" for tanks works a hell of a lot better than Battlefield's system where a driver can operate the whole thing solo, but there needs to be more reason to do that instead of just going alone.


    Spoiler for unrelated:
    Spoiler:

    Man, I feel like resubbing for a bit. Problem is I'm in Asia now, so I've no idea how latency would be like or if there'd even be anyone playing while I can :(

    steam_sig.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    just fyi if you play vanu i'm coming back this week, my 18 vanu is kitted out for vehicle combat and when i'm not blowing shit up with yoshua you too can be my gunner and get mad exp for shooting mans while i drive about like a crazy person.

    note) if you do not find it hilarious to drive through a minefield i recommend not riding with me.

    just whisper me, my name is kooleagle

  • Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User
    edited February 2011
    i seriously just realized the phantasm existed.

    My cloaker is now a flying cloaker. Had this aircraft existed when i was subbed in the past, i'd have shit my pants constantly waiting for a 5 passenger aircraft to suddenly pop from the ether and shoot me in the face.


    Now that i play a cloaker, this vehicle has brought me great joy; I am the one popping from the ether and stabbing people in the face.

    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so does the planetside players website suck for anyone else? I can't look up my vanu character without it timing out, and when I try to login to the station it times out, all other internets activity seems to be working fine for me.

  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User
    edited February 2011
    The planetside players site is pretty much entirely broken probably due to not being maintained at all ever.

    Ayulin, with regards to the transportation problem what they should do is make the ATV cert (Fury/Basilisk/Wraith) inherent for every character. It's a fast way to get around that doesn't really give you an overwhelming offensive advantage, and can be used with reinforced armor.

    Also I would seriously NOT recommend playing infiltrator on a new character. Pretty much everyone these days uses darklight vision so you'll spend 10 minutes carefully clearing mines and crouchwalking past spitfires to be instagibbed by some asshole. Once you hit 6 and can use Sensor Shield it becomes slightly more viable but still largely impractical. The best low-level usage of stealth armor is to follow another guy around and help him take out people who think they have a 1v1 fight, or use a phantasm to bring people up towers and such.

    Any sufficiently advanced friendship is indistinguishable from magic.
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    yeah newbie stealth doesn't go over too well, whenever I pullmy tank over for repair my darklight goes on and stays on

    I also absolutely love chugging along in my tank and then hit a speedbump and get a kill, so satisfying.

    like i said before, if you are new and need to level, gunning in my tank will get you a good amount of bep

  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My vanu guy is like a bubble from 8 now. I have been rocking advanced targetting since I usually roll with a lancer.

    My current loadout is lancer/lasher, but I am probably gonna drop the lasher to use the 4points elsewhere.

    hobbessig.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so yeah i just resubbed, whisper my vanu character if you want to play tanks with me, ingame name is kooleagle

  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you are still on in like 2 hours when I get home from work I will.

    hobbessig.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    well i played a little bit last night, no roadkill which made me a sad panda, also the next hit was on oshur, which does not allow magriders, so that kind of sucked

  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User
    edited March 2011
    The nice thing about Oshur is the TR have to actually try and the NC usually don't even go there.

    Any sufficiently advanced friendship is indistinguishable from magic.
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I snuck up on two guys last night, and pulled out my vanu AR; *VWHOOOOOMP* *They turn and kill me*.

    I get a whisper from the guy that killed me, "Man that gun is LOUD when you pulled it out, I wouldn't have known you were there otherwise"

    SOOOONNNYYYY

    hobbessig.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Morkath wrote: »
    I snuck up on two guys last night, and pulled out my vanu AR; *VWHOOOOOMP* *They turn and kill me*.

    I get a whisper from the guy that killed me, "Man that gun is LOUD when you pulled it out, I wouldn't have known you were there otherwise"

    SOOOONNNYYYY

    personally my favorite infiltration tactic is to put boomers underneath people when they aren't paying attention, or just in random spots that are hard to see

  • Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CE also makes a bunch of noise when you take it out, as well as the placing of it.

    My favourite weapon was the punisher, especially when infis wanted to try and be 'sneaky'. Hear infi, launch plasma nade, right click, fill the living christmas tree with bullets. Rinse, repeat. You don't even need darklight to do it.

  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    well i played for a couple of hours last night with yoshua, things were going great on ishundar during a 3 way fight, nc and vanu pushed tr out but then it started going downhill, i ran over at least 3 people but eventually the pop shifted to 80% nc and 19% vanu, at that point it felt like we were the only vanu there so we called it :(

  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gah, you're all making me want to play this now and I can't do two mmo's at the same time. Especially since Rift just released.

    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Gah, you're all making me want to play this now and I can't do two mmo's at the same time. Especially since Rift just released.

    I feel your pain. But I have to make it work, Planetside needs an update/sequel.

    steam_sig.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so i learned i still suck at any ground assaults, i have a separate character for it and run around with a lasher, but i definitely got my ass kicked a lot.

    this 72 hour all vehicles available thing is kind of annoying too, i don't want the enemy to be rolling around in magriders :(

  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Planetside-MMOFPS-EverQuest-MMORPG-SOE,11783.html

    (thanks be to reddit)

    e: article is from December, so the info might be inaccurate

    mrsatansig.png
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That and a few models are the only info we have at the moment. It is pretty odd.

    iyjXwV5uPHHfO.jpg
    Steam (Ansatz) || Planetside 2 - Vanu (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    That and a few models are the only things actually made for the game. They'll announce that the beta begins next august.

    Edited for what's probably going to happen. There's no way it can be in any playable state because SOE would never pull devs from its EQ cash cows.

    Any sufficiently advanced friendship is indistinguishable from magic.
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah pretty much, they put out a few teaser models which is pretty much all they have done

13468996
This discussion has been closed.