As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Got Your Parkour, in my FPS! [Brink]

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    here we go again

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    haha

you play multi games on 360

welcome to the majority of the video game playing population enjoy your stay

T4CT on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The majority of the video game playing population makes fun of people for playing multi games on the 360

tact said it

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    tact fact

T4CT on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    I propose that winning the reactor level on the resistance side in solo play is impossible.

I've managed it on easy by playing medic and focusing on keeping the spies/soldiers alive.

Some maps have pretty big balance issues though.

101 on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I meant that more as a general console joke.

Me being a PC hound and all.

Weaver on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    T4CT wrote: »
    This game doesn't have goddamn single player it has multiplayer with bots these are not the same things

it's part of the reason why I couldn't ever justify telling someone to pay $60 for the 360 version of it

especially when the lag still happens a plenty and their "solution" for the problem was to cut the amount of people you can have a match from 8 to 4

so basically if your house is ever burning down, Splash Damage is going to cut your house right down the middle and hope that the other half doesn't catch fire too

what we have now is a stop-gap solution, they are still working on it

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    101 wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    I propose that winning the reactor level on the resistance side in solo play is impossible.

I've managed it on easy by playing medic and focusing on keeping the spies/soldiers alive.

Some maps have pretty big balance issues though.

I won it last night on my second attempt. I was playing co-op, it runs better than multi, but there was only one other guy.

The aquarium level, the one with Sec going into CCity to get the virus, and the final not-what-if Resistance level do have some serious balance issues.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    welp

Reactor map, playing as Resistance, managed to hack the controls and now we're in the final stretch

Security is holed up pretty tight in the circle around the Reactor, but the other Resistance guys are pushing them pretty well on one front

the other is well secured by two engineers with turrets and mines

I was operative, killed a Sec who tried to take one of the command posts, camouflaged as him

went to the back where the engineers are, went around them, then turned around and sprayed them with my SMG

went inside, saw a whole bunch of sec together, so I switched to the Rocksteadi and grenade launched them

Switched quickly back to the SMG, sprayed the one's knocked out on the floor, and killed the lone Sec still standing

and that's how I won Brink

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Am I the only one that started as sec?!

On the level where the first part is to fix the crane, second part is to hack.... something. Gotten the hack to 70% before being overrun, the sec bots are pure retarded on this part of the map and tend to single-file into waiting death.

My points are mostly in engi, don't have my rank 3 unlocks yet but MAN this is tough. I should really stop soloing already :p

Cythraul on
    Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    also I figured out what was causing my massive slowdown

CPU cores were overheating

my solution:

A) Remove computer tower's panel

B) Stick a round floor fan near now-exposed computer innards

C) Turn fan on

D) Play a smooth game of Brink, as God intended

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cythraul wrote: »
    Am I the only one that started as sec?!

On the level where the first part is to fix the crane, second part is to hack.... something. Gotten the hack to 70% before being overrun, the sec bots are pure retarded on this part of the map and tend to single-file into waiting death.

My points are mostly in engi, don't have my rank 3 unlocks yet but MAN this is tough. I should really stop soloing already :p

My solution for this problem was the following:

1: Go heavy, get the machine gun you can ADS with, and a good secondary, maybe the kriss or whatever with grip + drum mag
    2: Go engineer, buff your weapon, plant a turret and completely lock down the missile area. I used the side room (The one that is more towards the sec spawn) on the same level as the missile itself. Plant a turret near the door that has direct LOS to the hack site and a mine behind the other doorway (So no asshole comes from behind the turret)
    3: Keep the operatives alive as long as you can and when they die protect the hack box.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cythraul wrote: »
    Up til now I've been playing Brink as normal, just remembered I downloaded that Brink config utility to let the game use more than a single core, interested in seeing how the game runs now but I wanna wait for this one torrent I have downloading. X-com for PSP, so close to being done!!

Yo this stuff is against the rules to post about.

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    Yo this stuff is against the rules to post about.

My bad, removed

Cythraul on
    Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I actually played against people! I used the old skool setting. It was kind of a grinder though, on Aquarium. Andi t was 3 v 3, so there wasn't really anything to do. I gave out weapon buffs and kevlar, built a turret, planted a mine near the objective... and captured a command post I didn't even know existed.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So i finished all the challenges and campaign missions.

I like this game. It's fun and weird, and certainly not for everyone, but I like it.

Also, I played online, and it wasn't laggy/freezing at all. So, yeah.

I'm having trouble deciding between Medium and Light, though. I don't use the crazy parkour stuff as much as I'd like, but I like having the option just in case, but I also like not being wet paper.

Skullo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I haven't quite figured out how to wall-jump reliably under fire, but I can pull it off some times.

I wish there was some way to get some pictures of my characters. I tried using my ancient cellphone, but I didn't work very well.

An update on updates:
    Xbox 360

We’ve been hard at work investigating the lag issues some players of the Xbox 360 version of Brink have reported. We’ve now completed modifications to improve network performance and will be rolling these out in a title update for the game.

This update has been submitted to Microsoft, and we expect it to be available next week.

This title update is also going to fix an isolated freezing issue reported by some German players who should no longer experience that problem once the update has been installed.

Details on PC and PS3 after the break…

PC

A game update for the PC version of Brink is in final testing and we’re planning to release it early next week. This update contains a host of fixes and improvements including the following:

We’ve identified the cause of sound dropping out on certain maps when playing networked games for a prolonged amount of time. This will no longer occur.

Graphical performance has been improved, especially when using Ambient Occlusion. We’ve worked closely with both AMD and NVIDIA, and you should see performance and stability improvements in future driver revisions from both parties.

The server browser is tweaked in this update, as well; among other things, a new filter allows you to display only servers with a certain number of players on them, and full servers will no longer be filtered out completely.

There are some smaller fixes for minor issues including your character’s voice occasionally resetting when deleting another character, and a memory leak when alt-tabbing out of the game.

Finally, the dedicated server is set to get an update at the same time as the main game, which will result in improved CPU performance. We’ve protected certain cvars that previously allowed server admins to accidentally break objectives involving NPCs.

The full changelog will be released alongside the update, so keep an eye out for that.

PlayStation 3

With PSN back online, we’re able to resume multiplayer testing on the PlayStation 3. We’re preparing to bring the changes in the upcoming Xbox 360 title update to the PlayStation 3 version of Brink quickly and we expect to have it out next week. Stay tuned!

In the Meantime…

Until these updates roll out, here’s what you can do to improve your multiplayer experience if you encounter problems:
    Check your opponent’s network connection / ping:
    One player with very low bandwidth connections can have a negative impact on the overall network performance of the game for the team.
    You are able to view other player’s connection quality easily by viewing the scoreboard and determining if this is the likely cause of lag.
    To view other player’s connection quality, press Start during a match and select the Scoreboard option to display all other players
    Other human player bandwidth values are shown on the right hand side of their name as a traffic light value. Anyone that is showing orange or red means they have a bad connection and could potentially be causing the match to become disrupted…

Note: You can also view the opposing team scoreboard since the problem may be with a player on the opposite team. To do this press R1 for PS3 or RB for XBOX 360 while on the scoreboard
    Should you see more players showing RED than GREEN on their status, you should exit this game, return to the main menu and join another game on a new connection.
    The matchmaking system will place you in a more suitable game

Finally, if you have the German Xbox 360 version of Brink and are experiencing freezing issues, you can use the following workaround until the title update is released:
    Turn the Dialogue Volume down completely. You can do this from the main menu or by pressing Start during a match and selecting:
    Optionen > Audio > Lautstärke der Dialoge
    Move the dialogue volume slider all the way to the left

That’s it for this blog update. More will be coming your way, and in the meantime, we’ll see you online!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    are you dorks playing this or what?

it seemed really cool but if the thread is below the TF2 thread this fast I dunno if I want to spend $50 on it

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah what happened

you guys were like post post post post nevermind

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm still playing.

I respeced my original guy to be a heavy engy/medic and I made a new light dude as operative/soldier and I really like both of them.

I'm enjoying my light's weapon loadout - the semi auto sinper rifle with red dot sight and supressor and the pistol that looks like the Nerf Maverick.

Both super powerful with a single hit, both nice and accurate at range, and when I'm up and in close, the offhand knife you get with pistols is starting to be one of my favourite kill methods.

#pipe on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I tried to play this

it feels so clumsy and not like any other shooter, which could be a good thing

but everything seems just a little off.

I'm sure if I spent more time with it, it would grow on me as it seems to have quite a bit of depth. But I couldn't get it to hook me. Not to mention some of the technical issues, though I try not to let those doom a game for me.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I still play.

I just got busy as hell.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Finals just happened for a bunch of people, so that might be it.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I still play for a few hours a day.

on ps3

with mostly bots, and the occasional self-buffing stranger. Once in while, I get into a game with actual people, and that is either awesome or super-frustrating.

Weapons are getting a tweak soon, according to fishbus at SA.

This game is fun. It takes a while to familiarize yourself with it.

The PSN store is still down, so I still don't have my Psycho Pack pre-order items.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The problem I saw with this game when I was playing was that if you get yourself with a group of friends you actually can't lose.

They won't be able to complete the first objective.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I had a harddive failure and just haven't gotten around getting back into the game.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    maybe I should give it another try, since bad company 2 has become cheater-land

can't find enough servers streaming pb-bans that have a decent ping. such a pain in the ass

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    maybe I should give it another try, since bad company 2 has become cheater-land

can't find enough servers streaming pb-bans that have a decent ping. such a pain in the ass

The game gets better and there are more things to do the longer you play it. Brink sort of holds your hand until about rank 2. Once you unlock the light body size, you can find a whole new aspect of the game.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Gonna sit down this weekend and see if I can get through the single player. Anyone have tips for starting out, like weapon types to use or anything like that

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Here's a tip: don't do single player. Your allies are retarded chimps and the enemies are super-focussed autistic combat savants.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Do multiplayer where everyone is a retarded chimp.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Here's a tip: don't do single player. Your allies are retarded chimps and the enemies are super-focussed autistic combat savants.

nah I kind of disagree

single player basically forces you to do the main objectives yourself, and while you're at it you get an understanding of all of the classes.
    Unless you're determined to minmax yourself as a pure medic or whatever, it's actually really useful to have an understanding of what each class is capable of.

Also it's really not that bad. Put it on easy and punch through the single player in a day or two and you'll have earned a ton of XP and generally have a much better understanding of the game before you jump into public games.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    is there a fix for the text being all jacked up

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm suddenly reminded why I stopped buying online shooters on the PC.

I just don't have the reflexes or the patience to compete with some of these people.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ever since I started using it, I've been getting better and better with the Ritchie

731px-1.jpg

With a light character, jumping and sliding around, running full speed at a dude, shooting a guy once in the belly and slashing with the offhand knife.

Feels so damn cool.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Still love the Nerf Maverick being added as a real gun.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    it is a really solid gun IMHO

#pipe on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I want to use a nerf maverick, but the belgo just performs so much better

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I just always get a lot more damage done with one powerful hit than a whole clip of peashooter rounds.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't really see the resemblance between the Ritchie and the Nerf Maverick.

The Ritchie sure is fun though! Too bad I am terrible with it!

DouglasDanger on