As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Got Your Parkour, in my FPS! [Brink]

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PSN IS BACK
    DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE IT FOR PS3?

I had a couple good connection games that I just did awful in! The first Sec map is a goddamned grinder, damn. I think the only way to do it is a three prong attack, which is sort of impossible with two bots and five other people who don't have head sets!

And I had an OK game on Resort. I held down the computer room with my shotgun. :)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just gotta say

the grenade launcher attachment

so killer

so effective

so boss

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Just gotta say

so killer

so effective

so boss

i saw a loading screen tip that mentions grips are mostly for hip fire. Great for SMGs, maybe not needed for rifles.
    so maybe I will add a grenade launcher to my Euston instead of a grip

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just gotta say

so killer

so effective

so boss

i saw a loading screen tip that mentions grips are mostly for hip fire. Great for SMGs, maybe not needed for rifles.
    so maybe I will add a grenade launcher to my Euston instead of a grip

Grenade launcher pretty much guarantees you can win a one on one fight with even the most buffed heavies by firing the nade and downing him (Grenades fired from launchers explode on impact rather than after 30 seconds) and then bursting him to death while he's lying on the ground..

Also when you see a cluster of enemies you can kill a lot of them with the same combo of grenade + rifle bursts.

Love that launcher.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    only problem with the launcer is that grenade buffs soldiers can get won't work with it

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wren wrote: »
    only problem with the launcher is that grenade buffs soldiers can get won't work with it

yeah, that is kind of a bummer

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    hey, did anyone actually take the grenade shooting skill

because that seems really tough and gimmicky

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Doesn't the underslung grenade launcher work with them though? It's still using your frag grenades, unlike the normal launcher.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    the skills specifically state they do not work with the underslung launcher

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It says "Grenade Launcher," which doesn't specify the underslung grenade launcher.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't even played this game and I don't get how you could be confused about skills that are labeled as not working with "grenade launcher" maybe working with the underslung grenade launcher. I assume it doesn't say they don't work with "most grenade launchers".

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Does not apply to grenade launchers, only standard hand tossed grenades.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    RedZeroRedZero Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So just had my first match with the "invisible enemies" glitch. That was frustrating, to say the least.

RedZero on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    I haven't even played this game and I don't get how you could be confused about skills that are labeled as not working with "grenade launcher" maybe working with the underslung grenade launcher. I assume it doesn't say they don't work with "most grenade launchers".

Because the standard grenade launcher uses its own ammunition, while the underslung launcher is just a different delivery system for your own stock of grenades.
    However, upon further research, it appears that Wren is correct; grenade upgrades apply only to thrown grenades.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    grenade upgrades not applying to grenades? what a country!

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    The WorseThe Worse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've heard it also applies to grenades thrown by the other team I haven't confirmed that someone do that for me.

The Worse on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    arg this first map for Sec
    why does noone ever have a mic
    the anti-troll/anti-music through the headset friends-only VOIP thing makes coordinating things impossible

and it doesn't dawn on people, even after 7 minutes of getting ground the hell up by sentry guns and buffed heavies with MGs, to go to the right and flank

or think to buff the guy trying to flank
    i could do it with my soldier, if someone would give me adrenalin or kevlar or a health boost or a weapon buff

all of those would be ideal, but I'll be happy with just one!

(or am I missing something)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Voice has to be enabled by admins on PC, iirc.

And you have to select a game mode with it enabled on consoles.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Brink update to fix connection problems
    Update (5/15): With PSN back up, the configuration change for Brink is being rolled out tonight and will be available worldwide soon. Want to know if you’ve gotten the update? Look for “Big Teams” in the public match settings (see screenshot above).

Original Post: We have been working on updates for Brink to address the lag issue that some people have reported they were experiencing.

In the meantime, we have made a configuration change for 360 users (which will be available to the PS3, once PSN is up) that alters the number of human players when matchmaking for “Campaign” and most ‘Freeplay’ modes to eight total human players. This new configuration will allow those connecting to and hosting matches (particularly those with lower upstream bandwidth) to more reliably find and connect to quality hosts via the match-making process – resulting in less lag and more fun. This change is being rolled out today and will be available worldwide.

For players who haven’t been experienced lag, we’ll still support 8v8 on all maps via a new ‘Big Teams’ configuration in Freeplay, and through custom settings in Private matches. There is no download required for this update and it will be available automatically the next time you log in to play Brink and launch either campaign or standard Freeplay matches. This should allow players new to the Ark as well as veterans to find quality matches suitable to their preferred play style.

We are also releasing an incremental update for PC players via Steam that addresses AI, GPU, and server issues. See the full release notes on Steam. Many of these fixes are being included in the full update for the 360 and PS3 versions.

We would like to thank you for supporting Brink and for your continued feedback. To show our appreciation for your support of Brink, we will be making the first DLC for Brink available for free when it is released. This DLC is planned for June and will offer additional maps and new content for players. We’ll continue to provide announcements about the next title update, as well as the first DLC release as that information becomes available.

- Splash Damage & Bethesda

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That came out a few days ago. I even posted about it.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    derp derp

it is coming out tonight for us lowly ps3 fellas

also, thanks for the tip about voip

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No problem. I like having voice chat, so I made sure to figure it out as soon as I got the game.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, anyone want to get their Brink on?

Steam name: Caulk_Bite

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    you buttlords I bought this game who wants to play it in like, half an hour after it finishes downloading?

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yes.

yes I will play.

I can only play until about 9:30 eastern, but that should still be good

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    also, the challenges to unlock shit are different than I thought they'd be. I figured it'd be like CoD type challenges, instead of "here's a separate area with different modes you can use". I mean, yeah it helps to get you used to the controls I guess, it just seems odd.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    also, the challenges to unlock shit are different than I thought they'd be. I figured it'd be like CoD type challenges, instead of "here's a separate area with different modes you can use". I mean, yeah it helps to get you used to the controls I guess, it just seems odd.

They struck me as being more like tutorials then challenges as they offered a good base to learn some of the basics of the game.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I just finished a session of Brink in which I tried thrown grenades, the Lobster Launcher, and the underslung

I am beginning to doubt the legitimacy of Wren's claims, as the underslung-launched grenades had quite large explosions, that appeared identical to the ones from my thrown grenades, but not the same as my medic buddy's

And yet I keep going back to the Lobster, simply because with Molotovs, Flashbangs, upgraded recharge, and the Lobster there never has to be a time when I am not launching grenades

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wish I was that parkour pro.

Huntera on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    so, I was having fun on a PA server till I got booted. Not really sure why.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game does not feel very good

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I felt the same way, but it grows on you.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so, I was having fun on a PA server till I got booted. Not really sure why.

Server seems jacked up

It still seems to think we're all connected

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I felt the same way, but it grows on you.

pretty much

the customization has held my interest so far, and I honestly like it better now then when I first started playing it

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    leveling characters is stupid.

once it's ok. needing to level at least 2 different characters to 20 to get all 4 classes mostly maxed is retarded. oh hey, we really need a decent engi on this map, darn, i'm on my soldier/ops character.

Angry on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Meh, not like you need more than what the basic class skill gives you to do objectives.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, exactly. I kind of feel that's the point. They want to promote people sticking to specific classes, but if you absolutely need to swap out, while you'll have a slight disadvantage, you can.

Darric on
  • Options
    SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I dislike that you can't switch body types on the fly. Sometimes being a light guy doesn't cut it when everyone else is a heavy and shooting you down.

SenorTacos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SenorTacos wrote: »
    I dislike that you can't switch body types on the fly. Sometimes being a light guy doesn't cut it when everyone else is a heavy and shooting you down.

I don't know. I experimented with light body type today for a little bit. Once I get a better feel of the game, and find some people to play with, I think I could be competent as a light, and I am sort of mediocre at videogames. I want to try out a bear rifle. ;-) I plan to swap the COGA for one of the red dot sights. Make the Barnett into a dangerous game gun, able to be used in closer quarters.

It is something bots do all the time once you get to rank 3

I wish the Lobster was red and that Lights could use it. It has what, maybe five or six moving parts? It can't be that heavy.

I tried out an SMG + Ritchie (revolver) combo earlier, that could also work.

I think the PSN player base will improve. We've only been playing online for a day. I made friends with a few guys today, but of course no one had a headset on!

DouglasDanger on