As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Falkland Islands: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Tell Argentina to STFU

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Wow he is fucking insane and stupid. His argument, after much much tl;dr boils down to "Well the UK and Argentina were in talks about this once so that means Argentina must have a decent claim."

Uhm, no. They were secret talks, and when the Falklanders found out about them they died, never to return again.

But he conveniently leaves that out.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Wow he is fucking insane and stupid. His argument, after much much tl;dr boils down to "Well the UK and Argentina were in talks about this once so that means Argentina must have a decent claim."

Uhm, no. They were secret talks, and when the Falklanders found out about them they died, never to return again.

But he conveniently leaves that out.

But, colonialism, dude. COLONIALISM.

That's the kind of archaic attitude that created things like the United States and Canada and Mexico and Belize, and Nicaragua, and Guatemala and El Salvador and Panama and Cuba and Haiti and the Dominican Republic and Jamaicia and the Bahamas and Colombia and Costa Rica and Venezuala and Ecuador and Brazil and Suriname and Guyana and French Guiana and Chile and Uruguay and Boliva and Paraguay and ARGENTINA.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    So, the famous and esteemed diplomat has once again weighed into the debate:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/23/sean-penn-falklands-malvinas-diplomacy-interrupted
    Sean Penn wrote:
    God save the Queen.
    That little snark makes me want to slap seven kinds of shit out of the man, and I'm not even British.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The recognition that the diplomatic process of the 1970s gives to some of the legitimacy of Argentinian claims should not be dispelled or denied by the great United Kingdom through the exploitation of a more recent past, or for the greed of superpowers desperate to control the natural resources of the world.

This sentence doesn't make any sense in context of what's actually going on (it's also poorly formed and needlessly verbose).

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Sean Penn may be the single most self righteous prick in Hollywood. Given the competition, that's fucking impressive.

Utter cockmonger.

• Options
    The recognition that the diplomatic process of the 1970s gives to some of the legitimacy of Argentinian claims should not be dispelled or denied by the great United Kingdom through the exploitation of a more recent past, or for the greed of superpowers desperate to control the natural resources of the world.

This sentence doesn't make any sense in context of what's actually going on (it's also poorly formed and needlessly verbose).

And yet that is his entire argument. Everything else was hot air.

His entire defense of Argentina's non-existent claim to the Falklands is "The U.K. were trying to divest themselves of the problematic little place, secretly, so as not to piss off the British people living there, but then they got caught and had to stop."

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Sean Penn may be the single most self righteous prick in Hollywood. Given the competition, that's fucking impressive.

Utter cockmonger.

Oh but he's made some crap movies. That qualifies him to get involved in international diplomacy by any rational measure right?

Come to think of it who the fuck is Sean Penn anyway? I've vaguely heard of his name but I can't name a single thing he's been in except for the one time I saw him make a cameo appearance on two and a half men with Elvis Costello.

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    What I really want to know is what Angelina Jolie thinks about this.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »

Utter cockmonger.

Oh but he's made some crap movies. That qualifies him to get involved in international diplomacy by any rational measure right?

Come to think of it who the fuck is Sean Penn anyway? I've vaguely heard of his name but I can't name a single thing he's been in except for the one time I saw him make a cameo appearance on two and a half men with Elvis Costello.

He's been in some pretty good movies. Honestly, he is a good actor.

• Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    He's a, pretty funny (IMO), stoner surfer stereotype in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, an oscar-winning lead role in Mystic River, and another oscar-winning lead role in Milk. The dude's got acting chops, but whenever he opens his mouth about foreign issues he becomes the smuggest douchebag - in this case completely uninformed.

And even then him becoming some bizarre spokesperson for Argentina is especially baffling. Like with previous things you could easily hand-wave it away as generic ivory tower hollywood talk, but in this situation the only response is "what in the hell?!" I mean is some good ol fashioned anglo-bashing really worth publicly making an ass out of yourself? Really, if he had not had a history of doing this kind of thing, I would have thought he was trying to go for his boldest, most experimental, character yet.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    He's a pretty good actor and a decent director as well. Also, he once beat up Madonna, so as well as being a prick he's a wife-beating prick.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    He's a, pretty funny (IMO), stoner surfer stereotype in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, an oscar-winning lead role in Mystic River, and another oscar-winning lead role in Milk. The dude's got acting chops, but whenever he opens his mouth about foreign issues he becomes the smuggest douchebag - in this case completely uninformed.

And even then him becoming some bizarre spokesperson for Argentina is especially baffling. Like with previous things you could easily hand-wave it away as generic ivory tower hollywood talk, but in this situation the only response is "what in the hell?!" I mean is some good ol fashioned anglo-bashing really worth publicly making an ass out of yourself? Really, if he had not had a history of doing this kind of thing, I would have thought he was trying to go for his boldest, most experimental, character yet.

I'll have to take your word for it. I've never even heard of those movies let alone seen them.

I just boggle at the mindset it must take to not realize, even slightly, how much of a douche he's making himself look. Or even just have the simple epiphany "hey I'm an actor/director, not a historian or diplomat. Do I maybe not know as much about this as the people who disagree with me?".

Casual on
  • Options
    Actors say crazy, stupid things all the time. Look at some of the doofus nonsense they came out with about Roman Polanski.

• Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    Finally something good from a comments section.

"Sean Penn's home state has belonged to the US for 13 years less than the Falkland Islands have been continuously British."

This is good, but California became a US state in 1850 so really it's 17 years.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    He's one of the people that did not go full retard, and won an Oscar for it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Finally something good from a comments section.

"Sean Penn's home state has belonged to the US for 13 years less than the Falkland Islands have been continuously British."

This is good, but California became a US state in 1850 so really it's 17 years.

Mex-American war started in 1846, and we controlled CA by the end of that year(well Jan 12 of 1847).
    All the major fighting was over by the end of 47.
    The treaty official ceding the territory was 48.

Pick your date.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    It's mildly amusing to observe that, by sticking his anglophobic little nose into what was none of his business, Mr Penn has, by inflaming public opinion, in all probability made it less likely that there will ever be any "negotiations" and the sovereignty of the Falklands.

• Options
    I guess it's hard for anyone outside the ivory tower of fame to understand how living like that makes you think you know everything about everything. I just think it's dumb Sean Penn thinks his opinion on global politics is worth a damn just because he's made a few films. Alright as an individual he's entitled to his uneducated opinion as much as anyone else, but it sure would be nice if he'd keep it and his god complex off my screen.

• Options
    I guess it's hard for anyone outside the ivory tower of fame to understand how living like that makes you think you know everything about everything. I just think it's dumb Sean Penn thinks his opinion on global politics is worth a damn just because he's made a few films. Alright as an individual he's entitled to his uneducated opinion as much as anyone else, but it sure would be nice if he'd keep it and his god complex off my screen.

It's a variation of white/class guilt I think.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The only difference between actors and normal folk is that when actors have stupid, uninformed opinions, they have ready access to ways to publicize those opinions.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The only difference between actors and normal folk is that when actors have stupid, uninformed opinions, they have ready access to ways to publicize those opinions.

Well, so do we. Right now I'm sitting in Scotland while several thousand miles away you're reading my stupid, uninformed opinions. :P

I guess the main difference is that in Sean Penns case there's a bunch of people who may care about his opinion for all the wrong reasons.

• Options

Well, so do we. Right now I'm sitting in Scotland while several thousand miles away you're reading my stupid, uninformed opinions. :P

I guess the main difference is that in Sean Penns case there's a bunch of people who may care about his opinion for all the wrong reasons.

Frankly, I think Scots have more right to talk about the Falklands than Sean Fucking Penn who probably couldn't point to the islands on a map before he had his love in with Kirchner.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    You think he could find "Scotchland" either?

World's best janitor
  • Options
    lu tze wrote: »
    You think he could find "Scotchland" either?

Not if he was standing in the middle of the Royal Mile.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Shame. I was going to suggest he take his material to Late ‘n’ Live... they'd love him there.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/23/sean-penn-falklands-malvinas-diplomacy-interrupted
    Sean Penn wrote:
    God save the Queen.
    That little snark makes me want to slap seven kinds of shit out of the man, and I'm not even British.

This is the douche who went to new Orleans with a film crew and a rifle to save people and had his boat sink. He's a clown and should be ignored.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    Sean Penn wrote:
    God save the Queen.

This is the douche who went to new Orleans with a film crew and a rifle to save people and had his boat sink. He's a clown and should be ignored.

Best part is that even if his boat sank, he still wouldn't have been able to save anyone because his boat was already full of people- in this case the film crew he brought with him.

penn_boating.jpeg.jpg

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I find it funny that Sean Penn is used as a punching bag by Fox as a stand in for all liberals, when most of us can't stand him.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Yes, sorry. Let me extend what I said - they have ready access to ways to publicize those opinions, and their opinions will be quickly picked up and disseminated among all sorts of news outlets.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Am I the only one that actually has some sympathy for the Argentinean claim here?

Well, it's pretty likely. I mean, what claim? "Our country is an unstable mess with a fascist party that is culturally stuck in the 1940s, and we estimate that the United Kingdom will not protect it's interests, so we're launching an invasion of their territory in an attempt to spur-on support for our crumbling authority," is not a 'claim' to sovereignty - it's a perverted act of imperialist hubris.

As much as I hate Thatcher, I can't really fault her for the campaign led by the Anaya initiative.

Argentina is welcome to move into the 21st century alongside the rest of the rational world. When they do that, and become interested in engaging with people diplomatically rather than militarily, maybe we can start talking about negotiations, trade agreements and shared sovereignty*.

*By 'Argentina', I'm strictly referring to their government. I have no doubt that the overwhelming majority of the public in Argentina do not share the interests of the dictatorship.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the AV Club's Sean Penn headline:
    Sean Penn has some more thoughts on the Falklands, thankfully

Turns out you can convey sarcasm purely through text.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    If only we could distill that sentence into an emoticon or punctuation mark.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Oh no! That's horrible! Oh... you were talking about the talks.
    Seriously, that's how I read it at first. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Am I the only one that actually has some sympathy for the Argentinean claim here?

Well, it's pretty likely. I mean, what claim? "Our country is an unstable mess with a fascist party that is culturally stuck in the 1940s, and we estimate that the United Kingdom will not protect it's interests, so we're launching an invasion of their territory in an attempt to spur-on support for our crumbling authority," is not a 'claim' to sovereignty - it's a perverted act of imperialist hubris.

As much as I hate Thatcher, I can't really fault her for the campaign led by the Anaya initiative.

Argentina is welcome to move into the 21st century alongside the rest of the rational world. When they do that, and become interested in engaging with people diplomatically rather than militarily, maybe we can start talking about negotiations, trade agreements and shared sovereignty*.

*By 'Argentina', I'm strictly referring to their government. I have no doubt that the overwhelming majority of the public in Argentina do not share the interests of the dictatorship.
    Err. Which dictatorship?

-This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

I'm not sure if it really is the "overwhelming majority," but nonetheless, thank you for qualifying that. Some of the stuff on this thread is surprisingly hurtful. :(
    Calixtus wrote: »
    Err. Which dictatorship?

You're right that it's not a dictatorship, but Argentinean politics have been corrupt as fuck for a long, long time. I haven't been back for too long to really know what's happening politically these days, but I'm sure you'll have to hunt around a bit to find anyone who thinks the current or recent governments were elected fairly.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    HeraldS wrote: »

Best part is that even if his boat sank, he still wouldn't have been able to save anyone because his boat was already full of people- in this case the film crew he brought with him.

penn_boating.jpeg.jpg

Dude, I'm pretty sure that is a Photoshop. And a bad one at that.

Oakey on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    He's one of the people that did not go full retard, and won an Oscar for it.

His I Am Sam oscar bait role is a textbook case of why you shouldn't go full retard. Its is the ur-example of why you should never go full retard.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    It is a photoshop, but that is basically what happened to Penn in New Orleans. He turned up in a small boat, with a photographer, but had to get help bailing it out.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    I know, here's a better picture;

54517871.jpg

Strike a pose...

• Options
    Wow, so with all the millions at his disposal he managed to ship a grand total of 4 litres of fresh water to the stricken occupants of New Orleans.

And that somehow wasn't a cynical photo op?

World's best janitor
This discussion has been closed.