As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Huzzah, just had every Geth turn invincible to me during wave 10. Not only that but I was invincible too and could not pick up ammo. I could still complete the hack but had no way of clearing the Geth out afterwards. My team members all snuffed it so all in all that was just super strange.

There can be only one!

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So...ending theory...
    Indoctrination theory seemed a bit "optimistic" at first. But pulling what the Rachni queen said and merging that with the otherwise pointless dream sequences in ME3. There seems to be almost no chance Shep wasn't fighting off indoctrination the whole time. Now, whether or not the ending sequence reflected that is a bit more of a stretch. But oily shadows? Whispers? The rachni queen describes Sheps dreams exactly.

The ending choice reflecting the choice to fight of indoctrination is...reaching a bit. But given the three options, we have destroy the reapers (what shep came there to do), control the reapers (what the indoctrinated illusive man AND the indoctrinated prothean splinter group tried to do), or merge with the reapers (which is what saren wanted, AND what the reapers were essentially trying the whole time).

As a player, if you stop for a moment and think about your choices, it seems obvious which one is the right bet. I mean, shep even says "wait wasnt that what the illusive man wanted?" Then the child is just like "oh yeah, but he couldnt do it, but YOU totally could." Like...what?

Then merging with synthetics cuts into the core of everything that made this cycle special and have a chance, their differences. Not to mention you spent ME2 shutting down a human reaper hybrid. I forgot about everything Saren said, but it also matches up perfectly.

When you put everything said about Indoctrination next to the events that unfold in ME3, it seems relatively obvious that at the very least, he was supposed to be fighting it off during the game. Whether the ending was intended as a final battle for that control is a bit less assured. But the dream sequences align perfectly with the Rachni queen.

One thing that the video didnt note: In the video its implied "set backs" and "stress" and "pressure" help move the process forward. Right before Shep is lifted up, he seems very stressed. He was just relaxing and now he has to safe the universe...again. He says "what else do you need me to do?" So that could be the trigger to one last conflict against indoctrination.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I really need to get this soldier to 20 so that I can try out another class in multiplayer. Yes, I know I could just roll a new guy right now, but I'm weird and want to finish this one before moving on. Multiplayer has, however, taught me that concussive shot on soldiers is freaking great. I used to spam adrenaline rush, but now even in single player my go-to power is concussive shot.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    But being that I'm mostly playing with full PuGs so I can't count on back up if I go Krogan charging into the wrong group of enemies on silver. Bronze tho? Immortal Steam Roller of Laughing Goodness.

Yeah, I'm lucky to have a decent group of friends to play with that back one another up. We're mindful to pick builds that compliment the group and such. I tried a few pugs and had quite the mix of success and failure. But it was interesting seeing internet group mentality addressing levels and problems in a completely different way than my isolated group did. "Oh, you guys hold down the fort from HERE?! Huh. We thought this place sucked and go THERE. But everybody on the net goes here? Oh."

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Hewn wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Meh. I would say melee is always good for Krogan Sentinel.

That's what I do. I put my defenses on max, not the melee. Wear tech armor all the time and use the Black Widow. I'm usually the last to die, have that nice rifle, and if guys get close can handle myself with a punch. Pretty nice balance, and consistently a top scorer, but it feels kind of odd never using powers.

I feel it lacks the punch of an adept on gold, though. One of the best combos I've seen is an Asari adept with the Widow. That guy was an animal on gold and I want to try it out.

I wish i had done this on my Krogan Sentinal. Melee is total lolz when your one hitting everything in the world, but that krogan charge sure is wonky. Like I said earlier, need to learn to head butt.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    The funny thing is, I bet the fan conspiracy theory ends up being used just like the one for Saw did, because unless they make some significant changes it's either that
    or it was all just dream.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Also, milk ducks what is your GT? I wanted to put you on my friends list.

It's just milk ducks, the same as it is on the forums.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I played with a pubbie last night that was an adept. Level 12. Only power he used was shockwave. And he had no concept of distance. Literally he would wiff by miles.... and just keep throwing then as soons a s cooldowns were over. Maddening!

Hey, I resemble that remark! Except I'll also miss with powers other than shockwave.

no i mean from sniper rifles distance tossing out shockwave. You cant seriously do that often right?

Oh, God no. I'm bad, but not that bad. Usually I'll throw out a singularity that hits about 30 degrees to the right and 10 meters up from where the long target is.

I just wish I was better at triggering those explosions and bursts. Probably should have gone with the wide effect for shockwave to make up for my asstastic aiming skills.

Yeah well distance aiming without tracking on biotics is tricky. Also shockwave in close is a rough one to negotiate as you may want to lead the target but the game auto corrects you....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    The funny thing is, I bet the fan conspiracy theory ends up being used just like the one for Saw did, because unless they make some significant changes it's either that
    or it was all just dream.

We're just waiting for the kick.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    But it was interesting seeing internet group mentality addressing levels and problems in a completely different way than my isolated group did. "Oh, you guys hold down the fort from HERE?! Huh. We thought this place sucked and go THERE. But everybody on the net goes here? Oh."

I notice that a lot too. "Wait, where are you guys running to? That's just dumb" "Oh wait, this isn't so bad." Guess its just another one of those playstyle things that really can be 6 in one, half dozen on certain maps. But you're insane if you don't hold Firebase White just outside the hallway above the ladder... just sayin' ;)

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    So yeah, last night I ran into the bug again where my shockwave wouldn't detonate my warp. The warp definitely wasn't the problem, because the vanguard in the match could still detonate it. Shockwave though? Suddenly useless after about 6-7 waves of biotic explosiony goodness. SADFACE.

• Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    So...ending theory...
    Indoctrination theory seemed a bit "optimistic" at first. But pulling what the Rachni queen said and merging that with the otherwise pointless dream sequences in ME3. There seems to be almost no chance Shep wasn't fighting off indoctrination the whole time. Now, whether or not the ending sequence reflected that is a bit more of a stretch. But oily shadows? Whispers? The rachni queen describes Sheps dreams exactly.

The ending choice reflecting the choice to fight of indoctrination is...reaching a bit. But given the three options, we have destroy the reapers (what shep came there to do), control the reapers (what the indoctrinated illusive man AND the indoctrinated prothean splinter group tried to do), or merge with the reapers (which is what saren wanted, AND what the reapers were essentially trying the whole time).

As a player, if you stop for a moment and think about your choices, it seems obvious which one is the right bet. I mean, shep even says "wait wasnt that what the illusive man wanted?" Then the child is just like "oh yeah, but he couldnt do it, but YOU totally could." Like...what?

Then merging with synthetics cuts into the core of everything that made this cycle special and have a chance, their differences. Not to mention you spent ME2 shutting down a human reaper hybrid. I forgot about everything Saren said, but it also matches up perfectly.

When you put everything said about Indoctrination next to the events that unfold in ME3, it seems relatively obvious that at the very least, he was supposed to be fighting it off during the game. Whether the ending was intended as a final battle for that control is a bit less assured. But the dream sequences align perfectly with the Rachni queen.

One thing that the video didnt note: In the video its implied "set backs" and "stress" and "pressure" help move the process forward. Right before Shep is lifted up, he seems very stressed. He was just relaxing and now he has to safe the universe...again. He says "what else do you need me to do?" So that could be the trigger to one last conflict against indoctrination.
    Also the fact sheps eyes become Saren and TIM's eyes with every ending but destroy. Thats a biggie.

But whateves.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I just hate in a game where your three pubs get to a semi-open area with 2-3 entrances and they will ALL stare tunnel vision down one way and commit all their firepower while I hide behind a crate and watch the other entrance and then all three of them at the same time bail from where they are and come over to where I am and start firing and things slowly start leaking in from where they were.

This happens in all these types of games, though. L4D, KF, etc.

• Options
    Though I will say, I don't think all the "clues" for this theory to come true were carefully laid down by Bioware and I don't think it was their intent at all for it to be read that way. They're just happy coincidences.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I've found that I really like a 2x2 cover strategy. Teams of two covering long areas where the enemy is spawing at the other end. For everything but reapers, 2 guys can quickly take down most enemy groups on silver no problemo. So when I see 1 pug guy running off to flank by himself, I'll usually follow to make sure he doesn't just get overwelmed.

The one thing that really really irks me is that people don't seem to understand how the enemies will spawn. They will usually spawn furthest away from the greatest concentration of players. So if you have 2 at the two back corners of the map, the mobs will spawn in the two front spawn points. Usually. This is what makes Firebase white so easy to defend. But its easy if you don’t understand the system to all bunch up in a tidy little corner and suddenly guys are spawning closer to you or flanking you through that side that no one is covering.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Ray Muzyka posted a response about the ending, basically saying we appreciate your feedback(but neener neener, reviewers gave us perfect scores, nevermind those scores are probably not based on finishing the game) and in April we will make DLC to actually answer questions about what happened in the ending:

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/

Full text in spoiler.
    As co-founder and GM of BioWare, I’m very proud of the ME3 team; I personally believe Mass Effect 3 is the best work we’ve yet created. So, it’s incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the game’s endings were not up to their expectations. Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics – but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility.

I believe passionately that games are an art form, and that the power of our medium flows from our audience, who are deeply involved in how the story unfolds, and who have the uncontested right to provide constructive criticism. At the same time, I also believe in and support the artistic choices made by the development team. The team and I have been thinking hard about how to best address the comments on ME3’s endings from players, while still maintaining the artistic integrity of the game.

Mass Effect 3 concludes a trilogy with so much player control and ownership of the story that it was hard for us to predict the range of emotions players would feel when they finished playing through it. The journey you undertake in Mass Effect provokes an intense range of highly personal emotions in the player; even so, the passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that has genuinely surprised us. This is an issue we care about deeply, and we will respond to it in a fair and timely way. We’re already working hard to do that.

To that end, since the game launched, the team has been poring over everything they can find about reactions to the game – industry press, forums, Facebook, and Twitter, just to name a few. The Mass Effect team, like other teams across the BioWare Label within EA, consists of passionate people who work hard for the love of creating experiences that excite and delight our fans. I’m honored to work with them because they have the courage and strength to respond to constructive feedback.

Building on their research, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April. We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

The reaction to the release of Mass Effect 3 has been unprecedented. On one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded; we care about this feedback, and we’re planning to directly address it. However, most folks appear to agree that the game as a whole is exceptional, with more than 75 critics giving it a perfect review score and a review average in the mid-90s. Net, I’m proud of the team, but we can and must always strive to do better.

Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example – has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary.

If you are a Mass Effect fan and have input for the team – we respect your opinion and want to hear it. We’re committed to address your constructive feedback as best we can. In return, I’d ask that you help us do that by supporting what I truly believe is the best game BioWare has yet crafted. I urge you to do your own research: play the game, finish it and tell us what you think. Tell your friends if you feel it’s a good game as a whole. Trust that we are doing our damndest, as always, to address your feedback. As artists, we care about our fans deeply and we appreciate your support.

Thank you for your feedback – we are listening.

Ray

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Bioware = Damage Control Mode Engaged.

We'll see what comes out of it.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I love how "however of course most folks love our awesome game" actually just refers to high reviews by critics. That has never been worth anything in this industry, in terms of whether or not your game is awful.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    This Ray person and Casey just rub me the wrong way.
    instead of manning up and taking the criticism there's deflection and "look at what people that didn't buy our game and are likely paid to say what we want anyway said!".

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Klyka wrote: »
    Bioware = Damage Control Mode Engaged.

We'll see what comes out of it.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. That is a definite sign people are being heard.

They keep down playing the amount of people discontented.... but then why make multiple(hudson made one earlier) statements like this?

• Options
    Also Net, means Yet.

They didnt even spell/grammer check it. Lols.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Ray Muzyka posted a response about the ending, basically saying we appreciate your feedback(but neener neener, reviewers gave us perfect scores, nevermind those scores are probably not based on finishing the game) and in April we will make DLC to actually answer questions about what happened in the ending:
    That's not what it "basically" says at all.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Eh, maybe not ALL the clues. But I dont see how someone can read the rachni queen dialog from ME1 and see
    the dreams from ME3
    and not walk away convinced that
    shep was fighting off indoctrination during 3. And that bioware at least intended that much.

And if you get to that logical step. Why wouldn't it have been addressed in game? Why not have it involved in the plot? Unless it was purposely hidden to merge the story into the game.
    Its a game where we, the player make all the big choices. Why WOULDNT we be the driving force behind whether or not shep could be indoctrinated? You cant come out and tell us, or we would all make the "nope, not indoctrinated choice." So you'd have to hide it behind the scenes. You can question their decision to not come out and tell us. And maybe its a DLC ploy. But I can also see the artistic desire to let the player figure it out themselves.

Normally in "theories" you find some pretty big holes. But this one has some major support and it makes sense of stuff that otherwise seemed glaring. ME3 went from "meh but acceptable ending" for me to "yeah probably one of the best endings of anything ever" because I am buying into that theory.

I'd also like to point to what I considered a major flaw in the marketing for this thing. It all revolved around "take back earth." Even though, early on we were all under the impression ME3 would be the finale. The marketing didnt really point to that. There wasn't a "final battle!" type campaign.

In fact, the box of the game has a quote that says "if you arent a fan, nows the time to join." That doesn't scream finale to me.

I didnt read a ton of magazine articles or anything about ME3 before it came out. Is there a lot of more recent quotes stating this is the finale? Where exactly did we get that impression?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

New DLC I can understand, but new games?
    Regardless of the ending chosen, Galactic civilization as we knew it for the last three games is over. What can the new game be about?
    Discussing it with a friend, we decided that the Quarian and Turian fleets around Earth would have to team up (since the Lifeships are the only ships set up to grow appropriate foods, and the Quarians are at least used to living in ships), which sounds like a decent TV show pitch. A rag-tag fleet traveling the galaxy in search of a shining planet known as... Rannoch.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Asari seem to speak english somehow if thats true though. I always thought theres was a translator of some sort.
    Least I thought.

Could be space magggiccccccccc.

It's been heavily implied that asari have been telepathically screwing with everybody's heads for a very long time now. c.f. ME2 bachelor party. They might not need to learn English for us to understand them.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    This Ray person and Casey just rub me the wrong way.
    instead of manning up and taking the criticism there's deflection and "look at what people that didn't buy our game and are likely paid to say what we want anyway said!".

It's the PR/management speak. That's simply what it looks like.

You see, all this fan outrage isn't a problem, it isn't a difficulty, it's an opportunity.

• Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    But it was interesting seeing internet group mentality addressing levels and problems in a completely different way than my isolated group did. "Oh, you guys hold down the fort from HERE?! Huh. We thought this place sucked and go THERE. But everybody on the net goes here? Oh."

I notice that a lot too. "Wait, where are you guys running to? That's just dumb" "Oh wait, this isn't so bad." Guess its just another one of those playstyle things that really can be 6 in one, half dozen on certain maps. But you're insane if you don't hold Firebase White just outside the hallway above the ladder... just sayin' ;)

I absolutely love holding down Firebase White with 2 Biotics up top next to the ladder, and myself (Human Engineer) /w an Infiltrator sniper just below. I have good line of sight into the building, as well as the landing pad. It's not the best place for an escape route, but if the team up top keeps the landing pad clear you wont ever need it.

Recipe for easy wins!

Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Options
    Also Net, means Yet.

They didnt even spell/grammer check it. Lols.
    No, he means "net" in the sense of "overall", or "bottom line".

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    klemming wrote: »
    This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

Regardless of the ending chosen, Galactic civilization as we knew it for the last three games is over. What can the new game be about?
    Discussing it with a friend, we decided that the Quarian and Turian fleets around Earth would have to team up (since the Lifeships are the only ships set up to grow appropriate foods, and the Quarians are at least used to living in ships), which sounds like a decent TV show pitch. A rag-tag fleet traveling the galaxy in search of a shining planet known as... Rannoch.

I would pay good money for smaller stories in the same universe as a prequel or even sequel. Gimme Mass effect:blue sun chronicles where you are a Merc just making thier way in a crazy galaxy. Gimmie mass effect: citidel nights where you play as a detective on the citidel.

They fleshed out a hell of a universe, I wanna play more on that playground.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Ray Muzyka posted a response about the ending, basically saying we appreciate your feedback(but neener neener, reviewers gave us perfect scores, nevermind those scores are probably not based on finishing the game)
    Ray Muzyka wrote:
    ...it’s incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the game’s endings were not up to their expectations. Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics – but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility.
    First paragraph bro.

Edit:
    ...and in April we will make DLC to actually answer questions about what happened in the ending:
    Also not what was said.
    Ray Muzyka wrote:
    Building on their research [on "everything they can find about reactions to the game"], Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April.
    So, next month, we'll hear what/if Casey et al plans to do about fan reaction to the ending.

/for jdarksun *tap tap* Is this thing on?
    Thanks for RTFA. Seems like a reasonable response.

And according to just the sample of folks on this board. Most people did love thier awesome game. Just not the last 5 minutes. The two major plot point endings alone made the game worth all 40 hours I played it.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Whelp if it does end up being pay for dlc ill just watch the new stuff on youtube thank you very much.

And we were all having such a nice MP discussion...

• Options
    Well...
    If they end up going with indoctrination theory, either because its true, or because its a good way for them to get out. Then the final decision would have just been in shep's mind. And we wouldnt actually have destroyed the relays, all synthetics, merged everyone or anything like that.

Frankly that's more evidence to support the theory.

Because the ME3 ending effectively killed their universe. Which just seems like a silly choice no matter what. You cant make any more ME based on any of the endings. Honestly, that was the first thing that struck me as odd about the endings. I was like "wait, why would they make a scenario where they can't make more games?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Well, Ray doesn't get it. We're not complaining about the good parts that are universally acclaimed. We're complaining about the ending, which is shit.

• Options
    There will be more Mass Effect games without a doubt, but this is supposed to be the end of Shepard's story.

“After this, Commander Shepard’s story is complete. Even if there are more games in the Mass Effect universe, he/she definitely won’t be in them?” He (Producer Michael Gamble) laconically replied, “Correct.”

And in the ending
    I really think the only time you're supposed to feel like you're being controlled/indoctrinated is when TIM is doing it to you. And the game is pretty explicit in showing and telling you that. I think it the indoctrination theory makes more sense, but I really, really, really don't think it's what Bioware carefully planned and pretty much all of the evidence for it is both reaching and coincidences. Now, if I was the writer, I'd jump all over that because it makes so much more sense than the Star Child and the actual endings.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    I love how "however of course most folks love our awesome game" actually just refers to high reviews by critics. That has never been worth anything in this industry, in terms of whether or not your game is awful.

But 98% of this game was exceptional. The guy can't just say "we read a lot of forum posts and people do admit that everything before the ending was pretty great." Like it or not, the only tangible evidence he can offer is review scores.

But still, most of the game was great. It's not like that's an objectively true or false statement, but I think the majority of this thread would agree: everything leading up to the ending was a pretty damned good game.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Eh, maybe not ALL the clues. But I dont see how someone can read the rachni queen dialog from ME1 and see
    the dreams from ME3
    and not walk away convinced that
    shep was fighting off indoctrination during 3. And that bioware at least intended that much.

And if you get to that logical step. Why wouldn't it have been addressed in game? Why not have it involved in the plot? Unless it was purposely hidden to merge the story into the game.
    Its a game where we, the player make all the big choices. Why WOULDNT we be the driving force behind whether or not shep could be indoctrinated? You cant come out and tell us, or we would all make the "nope, not indoctrinated choice." So you'd have to hide it behind the scenes. You can question their decision to not come out and tell us. And maybe its a DLC ploy. But I can also see the artistic desire to let the player figure it out themselves.

Normally in "theories" you find some pretty big holes. But this one has some major support and it makes sense of stuff that otherwise seemed glaring. ME3 went from "meh but acceptable ending" for me to "yeah probably one of the best endings of anything ever" because I am buying into that theory.

I'd also like to point to what I considered a major flaw in the marketing for this thing. It all revolved around "take back earth." Even though, early on we were all under the impression ME3 would be the finale. The marketing didnt really point to that. There wasn't a "final battle!" type campaign.

In fact, the box of the game has a quote that says "if you arent a fan, nows the time to join." That doesn't scream finale to me.

I didnt read a ton of magazine articles or anything about ME3 before it came out. Is there a lot of more recent quotes stating this is the finale? Where exactly did we get that impression?

You honestly think Bioware remembers what they wrote in some dialogue years ago?
    You're grasping at straws buddy.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

well the idea of an MMO had been thrown around a few years back shortly after me2's release.

Aside from that ..
    Thing is, with all that reaper/relay debris lying around I would guess that the civilisations will build their own gates and take it from there.
    Earth as the new seat of galactic power. Due to vast depopulation by reapers galaxy largely unpoliced outside of major trade hubs.
    economic prosperity and opportunity going hand in hand with large lawless frontiers.

There's loads you could do with that.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    On a related note, I understand why some people think there's
    an indoctrination effect at the end... what I don't get is why that would be a good thing. Taken literally the ending is bad, but with Indoctrination Theory there's no ending at all... Shepard takes a laser to the face and that's the last we see of reality. End credits.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »

But 98% of this game was exceptional. The guy can't just say "we read a lot of forum posts and people do admit that everything before the ending was pretty great." Like it or not, the only tangible evidence he can offer is review scores.

But still, most of the game was great. It's not like that's an objectively true or false statement, but I think the majority of this thread would agree: everything leading up to the ending was a pretty damned good game.

Yeah, I would respond with something like what Tenek already posted shortly before you made this post.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Tenek wrote: »
    Well, Ray doesn't get it. We're not complaining about the good parts that are universally acclaimed. We're complaining about the ending, which is shit.
    Good thing then that he specifically said that they are working on ways to address these concerns, eh?

Currently Playing:
This discussion has been closed.