As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Avengers! or why a Justice League film can't succeed!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    when are they gonna take another crack at Howard The Duck

or is he just ruined forever

Disney is not a fan of Howard. Its obviously not a problem now but they always had problems with people thinking he was a Disney mascot.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Now that you mention cartoons, they could just take the Justice League cartoon and Disney it up, give them a full-length movie.

That was good stuff.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I was going to visit iron man when I go to 'merica.

He's still real right?

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    bill bixby is why everyone knows who the hulk is

everyone knows who spider-man is because everyone in the last fifty years has grown up watching spider-man cartoons

kids who grew up in the nineties know who the x-men are because of that cartoon and arcades

and captain america is a part of pop culture, though it pretty much took the captain america movie to convince everyone that he wasn't a jingoistic war relic

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well, just about everyone knows Batman and Superman's origin, and most people understand the whole Wonder Woman thing (she had a tv show). The bigger problem with doing movies based on a lot of the other DC characters is that their origin stories are...well, kind of weak. I mean, I've read a lot of comics and to the best of my knowledge, Flash's origin is "hit by lightning, goes fast." There's no real need for a defining story for guys like the Flash.

Lightning and chemicals.

That's how science works.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    How would they even structure a Justice League film?

Like who would they have be the villain and such?

Darkseid seems the most likely

I'd go with Starro though

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    fuck starro and darkseid

despero

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Unless it's Marvel science, because then it's "somethingsomethingRADIATIONsomethingsomething".

• Options
    fuck starro and darkseid

despero

I thought about him too, yeah

but come on a giant starfish monster

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I support giant starfish monsters

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

I dunno. But there are like nine different versions and reboots of their origin story to draw from, if not more. New Frontier might be a good place to draw from, at least in terms of the overall plot.

• Options
    is it wrong that I would like a film based off Kraven's Last Hunt

would that even work

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    darkseid might be a bit much for an origin movie but I'm having trouble thinking of more extraterrestrial DC threats because DC cosmic stuff does not resonate with me at all

• Options

would that even work

that seems like a prime candidate for one of those animated direct to dvd films they've done

• Options
    darkseid might be a bit much for an origin movie but I'm having trouble thinking of more extraterrestrial DC threats because DC cosmic stuff does not resonate with me at all

what about Prometheus

halle berry could show up at the end and kick him in the nuts

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Well, just about everyone knows Batman and Superman's origin, and most people understand the whole Wonder Woman thing (she had a tv show). The bigger problem with doing movies based on a lot of the other DC characters is that their origin stories are...well, kind of weak. I mean, I've read a lot of comics and to the best of my knowledge, Flash's origin is "hit by lightning, goes fast." There's no real need for a defining story for guys like the Flash.

I mean, it's down to the core difference between how Marvel does things and how DC does things, at a very generalized level. DC's always emphasized how their characters are iconic (which is why there are waaaaaaaaaay more legacy characters in DC than Marvel), which helps them stick in the public's consciousness for as long as they have. Marvel does more work emphasizing how their characters have flaws and personalities that are as important as their powers are in defining them, which makes it a little tougher to get people up to speed on who everyone is and what they're about.

And I know, that's an incredible generalization, and it's not true for everything, but it's why I think DC could probably get away with just kicking everything off with a Justice League movie. Hell, I mean, a lot of DC's characters might only work if they get lumped in with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman right at the start. I mean, Hawkman/Hawkgirl? That shit is weird. And Martian Manhunter's origin would work really well as part of the plot of a big team movie like Justice League anyways.

But given DC's track record in movies, I don't have a whole lot of faith in their ability to pull it off. Outside of Nolan's Batman movies, they've shown a remarkable inability to translate what makes their characters so enduring in comics and cartoons and translate that to a movie. It's really disheartening.

We've seen what The Avengers had to do to make this work. They had to do a simple story and plot it very strictly with things moving forward at a brisk case.

The JL movie would have to do all that but would have to at least make token effort into explaining these characters.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    fuck it, throw the anti-monitor at them

crisis on infinite dc movie universes

ryan reynolds is the first against the wall followed by george clooney

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    i have a hatred of starro that stems from reading dc comics in the mid to late 2000s where every three months he was the villain in something else again

also i keep waiting for misty to call him back and send out psyduck every time i see him

also also keith david voicing a three eyed alien dictator is amazing to me forever

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Blackest Night

zombies and superheroes, together on film for the first time

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

who's to say they wouldn't do a legion of doom sort of thing?

• Options

Do you think they would be blatant enough to use an extraterrestrial threat? I'm not sure. I'm really asking.

Injustice League? Of course then you need to explain six or so more characters and nobody knows who the hell the Cheeta girl is or why that Gorilla is talking.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    when are they gonna take another crack at Howard The Duck

or is he just ruined forever

Disney is not a fan of Howard. Its obviously not a problem now but they always had problems with people thinking he was a Disney mascot.

I don't care about another Howard movie

what I want is a Howard/Donald crossover comic

• Options

would that even work

that seems like a prime candidate for one of those animated direct to dvd films they've done

I'd take it

as long as it wasn't awful

the marvel ones seem to be about 50/50 on that score

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Blackest Night

zombies and superheroes, together on film for the first time

That would be a fucking nightmare.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    well, there was that delightful the flash tv show so, flahs is covered. aquaman was on an episode of smallville, whatever we got this thing down people. we don't need no origins.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

it's hard enough to make a movie with multiple heroes, let alone multiple antagonists as well

I don't see that working too well

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

well then you'd have to spend half the movie establishing who all those villains were, unless you want the legion of doom to be luthor, zod, the joker and the rest of batman's rogues gallery

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I want a Green Arrow movie.

And god help me if they make it "dark" or "gritty".

Just a goofy, ultra-liberal millionaire who has a thing for Robin Hood and gets a kick out of making novelty arrowheads that conceal boxing gloves and whatnot.

• Options
    No, fuck that. I want a Green Arrow/Green Lantern TV show set in the 70s where the duo drives from town to town seeing America and righting wrongs!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I fully expect Justice league movie. Its going to be literally a pile of shit make no sense and basically be the batman superman movie but Warner brothers has no option but to do it now.

They always have an option. They simply don't have the brains or experience to make a good Justice League movie right now.
    FLASH RUNS FAST

HOW USEFUL IS RUNNING FAST

(this is everyone who doesn't read a comic)

Read Waid's Flash run, Morrison's JLA and watch Justice League & Justice League Unlimited. Flash is among the top most powerful Leaguers with a diverse range of abilities thanks to his speed and the Speed Force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_(comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Force

I'd honestly put Hulk up with those other three.

Which leaves Marvel with the Hulk, a God from another dimension, a war profiteer, and symbol of American patriotism.

Without the movie that is.

If GL had a good showing(like they expected) then they'd have the instant audience from Superman and Batman and Green Lantern.

Wonder Woman is pretty popular and I've never seen people complain much about Flash.

To bad that the build up movies served several other purposes.

The public know WW exists, just not about the character's personality, powers or mythos. The Justice League gave the current generation a leg up, and the animated film, but Linda Carter's version still remains a cultural icon. WB needs to get the public acquainted with her which is why a movie franchise is important. They won't give her an animated series or animated films to do it. Nor have they done well enough to put her in other popular media like Smallville, which upped Green Arrow's credibility considerably.

Without X-men or Spider-man it's forced Marvel into putting the lesser properties in the spotlight which they've succeeded and WB needs to take lessons in duplicating (excluding their animated series), they also need to stop being so skiddish and embarrassed by DC. They have their own Marvel at their fingertips they may as well use it properly.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    too bad you get teen angst green arrow on the cw

• Options

But Oliver Queen didn't get stranded on that island until he was an adult! He was never a teenage super-heroooooaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhh!!!

They really ought to just focus on a World's Finest movie instead of Justice League.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    so is loki this amazing in the comics or what

C86Gj.jpg

sp_0601_10_m4.jpg?width=200

• Options
    I fully expect Justice league movie. Its going to be literally a pile of shit make no sense and basically be the batman superman movie but Warner brothers has no option but to do it now.

They always have an option. They simply don't have the brains or experience to make a good Justice League movie right now.
    FLASH RUNS FAST

HOW USEFUL IS RUNNING FAST

(this is everyone who doesn't read a comic)

Read Waid's Flash run, Morrison's JLA and watch Justice League & Justice League Unlimited. Flash is among the top most powerful Leaguers with a diverse range of abilities thanks to his speed and the Speed Force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_(comics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Force

I'd honestly put Hulk up with those other three.

Which leaves Marvel with the Hulk, a God from another dimension, a war profiteer, and symbol of American patriotism.

Without the movie that is.

If GL had a good showing(like they expected) then they'd have the instant audience from Superman and Batman and Green Lantern.

Wonder Woman is pretty popular and I've never seen people complain much about Flash.

To bad that the build up movies served several other purposes.

The public know WW exists, just not about the character's personality, powers or mythos. The Justice League gave the current generation a leg up, and the animated film, but Linda Carter's version still remains a cultural icon. WB needs to get the public acquainted with her which is why a movie franchise is important. They won't give her an animated series or animated films to do it. Nor have they done well enough to put her in other popular media like Smallville, which upped Green Arrow's credibility considerably.

Without X-men or Spider-man it's forced Marvel into putting the lesser properties in the spotlight which they've succeeded and WB needs to take lessons in duplicating (excluding their animated series), they also need to stop being so skiddish and embarrassed by DC. They have their own Marvel at their fingertips they may as well use it properly.

WHat they need to do is stop going with the trends never taking any risks. Superman looks like it's going to be terribly grim dark and Green Lantern seemed written to avoid any sort of personality or originality.

They need to be proud of there characters and try to show audiences what is cool about them. Something they are running out of time for. Superhero movies wont always be so hot and when things pass it's gonna be tougher to get new properties out there.

While they twiddle there thumbs and try their best to avoid representing the characters Marvel has been establishing it's studio as a guaranteed fun time. If Marvel maintains their quality until Avengers 2 releases people might starting going to their movies in the same way that people go to Pixar movies.

As in "I don't know what its about but its made by Pixar so I know it will be good".

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Shit, I honestly can't think of a good threat for a Justice League movie that isn't basically an alien invasion. Maybe "the center" from the New Frontier animated movie: only taken out in a far less crappy fashion?

• Options
    A live-action-but-visually-stylized New Frontier movie might be pretty awesome but we'll never get it.

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »

But Oliver Queen didn't get stranded on that island until he was an adult! He was never a teenage super-heroooooaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhh!!!

They really ought to just focus on a World's Finest movie instead of Justice League.

a world's finest movie would be a much easier proposition than a justice league movie, yeah, and would still probably make $texas

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I might argue about Captain America being a cultural icon. I don't think i've met a single person who didn't read the comics who had any idea who he was before the movie came out.

You could also say this with Thor and especially Iron Man pre-movie release.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Godfather wrote: »
    I might argue about Captain America being a cultural icon. I don't think i've met a single person who didn't read the comics who had any idea who he was before the movie came out.

You could also say this with Thor and especially Iron Man pre-movie release.
    I'm not sure who you are talking to. You seem to be saying that Cap isn't a cultural icon and implying that someone said he was. Or are you saying the opposite?

Well, if you're saying it the original way nobody said he was.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

They have an extensive rogues gallery to choose from.

This discussion has been closed.