Options

The Avengers! or why a Justice League film can't succeed!

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I was definitely one of the people who laughed in the theater, followed by a fist pump at

"Puny god."

Hulk's had four words of dialogue in the entirety of his appearance in this universe, but they've always been the best.

WRONG
    he has seven
    He does? I just remember "HULK SMASH" and "Puny god."
    in the incredible hulk, right after he hulks out for the very first time in the factory he says "leave me alone"

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    JMan711 wrote: »
    576394_3140988448482_1378050174_32288327_1989479110_n.jpg

Wouldn't the real comparison have to be The Avengers VS a theoretical Justice League movie?

Green Lantern called.

I'd pass on the message, but it was mostly just sobbing incoherently.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Also, big spoiler for the movie
    but they plant plenty of seeds for the "Coulson not actually dead" concept.

Coulson straight up says "They need something to rally behind" then the paramedics rush in.

Fury tosses down the cards covered in blood and says they were in his pocket, but they were actually from his locker.

Fury repeats the line about them needing something to rally behind.

So yeah it could easily be all a big hoax to get the kids to play together.
    fury also says he's dead when the medic team is on the way

he decides to use coulson's death as their rallying moment

occam's razor yo

No you're wrong about that and this is the thing that makes me most suspicious
    Fury doesn't say he's dead before the EMT's get there. The EMT's arrive and it cuts to him informing the Avengers. It appears(though its arguable) that the calling scene is a direct continuation of the scene. Fury then says that "The EMT's called him". That seems like a slightly strange thing for someone who just watched the character die to say. Not super unusual but for some reason I find it strange. If it is a continuation though he's saying it as the EMT's arrive.

So yeah.

God I love "Lost my one good eye"

From that story awhile ago I love that the Actors seem to have had quite a bit of influence in the script.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Coulson straight up says "They need something to rally behind" then the paramedics rush in.

Fury tosses down the cards covered in blood and says they were in his pocket, but they were actually from his locker.

occam's razor yo

Fury doesn't say he's dead before the EMT's get there. The EMT's arrive and it cuts to him informing the Avengers. It appears(though its arguable) that the calling scene is a direct continuation of the scene. Fury then says that "The EMT's called him". That seems like a slightly strange thing for someone who just watched the character die to say. Not super unusual but for some reason I find it strange. If it is a continuation though he's saying it as the EMT's arrive.

So yeah.

From that story awhile ago I love that the Actors seem to have had quite a bit of influence in the script.
    It wasn't improvised like the Iron Man films were. First they'd do some takes from the script, Whedon would talk to the actors to get their impressions then he'd write the scene with a few variations and they'd shoot them all the best being kept for the film. What's amazing is the original script didn't hold up during filming. Whedon had to constantly write new material for the actors. I think hate helped is that the plot had specific beats Whedon and Marvel agreed upon, so they always knew the plan to avoid the film going to places they hadn't expected.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I was definitely one of the people who laughed in the theater, followed by a fist pump at

"Puny god."

Hulk's had four words of dialogue in the entirety of his appearance in this universe, but they've always been the best.
    Four words?
    Incredible Hulk
    "Leave me alone"
    "HULK SMASH"
    "Betty.."
    Avengers
    "Puny God"[/spoiler[

• Options

"Puny god."

Four words?
    Incredible Hulk
    "Leave me alone"
    "HULK SMASH"
    "Betty.."
    Avengers
    "Puny God"[/spoiler[

Does "Your Life" count?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    moocow wrote: »
    I have a tangentially related story!

Just saw Avengers tonight.
    My step-mother was one of those odd people who thought it was HILARIOUS when Hulk picked up Loki and slammed him around on the ground. Like, the theater erupted in laughter. I told her that I thought it was disturbing that everyone was laughing at a dude getting savagely beaten.

I mean, yeah, beat the shit out of Loki, he pretty much deserves it, but I don't see how it was as side-splittingly funny as the rest of the theater did. She related our conversation about that to her brother when we got home, and he told me, with anger in his voice, that I "read too much liberal bullshit."

Then he started talking about how that's what the american people want to do all these dictators. The man watches way too much Fox News.

Please tell me you aren't serious.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

occam's razor yo

So yeah.

Actually
    Fury doesn't say "The EMTs called him"

the line is "The EMTs called it in"

which is a common expression for saying they called the official time of death

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

"Puny god."

Four words?
    Incredible Hulk
    "Leave me alone"
    "HULK SMASH"
    "Betty.."
    Avengers
    "Puny God"[/spoiler[

FINE I WAS WRONG

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »

occam's razor yo

So yeah.

Actually
    Fury doesn't say "The EMTs called him"

the line is "The EMTs called it in"

which is a common expression for saying they called the official time of death

Both are.

At least I've seen it both way in movies.
    But if someone died in front of me I'd have just said he was dead. That I've seen him die.

Just seems weird is all. Like, he appears to die before the EMT's even get there.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Wouldn't the real comparison have to be The Avengers VS a theoretical Justice League movie?

Green Lantern called.

I'd pass on the message, but it was mostly just sobbing incoherently.

I fully expect Justice league movie. Its going to be literally a pile of shit make no sense and basically be the batman superman movie but Warner brothers has no option but to do it now.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular

My step-mother was one of those odd people who thought it was HILARIOUS when Hulk picked up Loki and slammed him around on the ground. Like, the theater erupted in laughter. I told her that I thought it was disturbing that everyone was laughing at a dude getting savagely beaten.

I mean, yeah, beat the shit out of Loki, he pretty much deserves it, but I don't see how it was as side-splittingly funny as the rest of the theater did. She related our conversation about that to her brother when we got home, and he told me, with anger in his voice, that I "read too much liberal bullshit."

Then he started talking about how that's what the american people want to do all these dictators. The man watches way too much Fox News.

[/quote]

the whole theater laughed really really hard and i did too because we all understood that we were not watching documentary film footage

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

"Puny god."

EDIT: FUCK YOU TLB

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    It pretty much has to be(About the JL movie). Press releases regarding their plans already show they have no idea why the Marvel method worked and are making some big ass mistakes while they are at it.

Like they have already said that the plan is to start with a JL movie and spin people off from that. They say that their characters are just more well known then Marvel and don't need in episodes. They arn't even wrong about the first part. What they arn't getting is that Avengers saves a lot of really important running time by not having to explain the characters. They are just there. Because you know they are already.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    That scene was completely hilarious and was supposed to be completely hilarious. Anyone who didn't laugh at it has no sense of humor.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    well, they don't need to explain batman or superman.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »
    well, they don't need to explain batman or superman.

Yeah I said that. They are right about that but were still talking about loading in even more to a movie that is bound to be over stuffed as it is.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

the fact that that movie will never exist just kind of hammers the point home further

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

"Puny god."

EDIT: FUCK YOU TLB

GG

DON'T FUCK WITH ME WHEN IT COMES TO HULK TALK

HULK TALK IS MY MOTHERFUCKING JAM

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    How well known DC characters are vs Marvel characters seems like something it would be hard to actually quantify

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I think its pretty unquestionable that Superman and Batman are the most well known comic characters.

However when you factor that Marvel couldn't use their most well known characters and DC could literal use two of those characters I think it is clear who has the advantage.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'd wager the only well known ones from either universe would be the ones that have had successful films or TV shows

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Wonder Woman, The Flash, Aquaman, and Green Lantern are really well known

Unfortunately, Flash and Aquaman are known for being useless

Green Lantern is known for a shitty movie

and Wonder Woman is known for a pretty sweet theme song

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'd honestly put Hulk up with those other three.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Wonder Woman, The Flash, Aquaman, and Green Lantern are really well known

Unfortunately, Flash and Aquaman are known for being useless

Green Lantern is known for a shitty movie

and Wonder Woman is known for a pretty sweet theme song

Who thinks Flash is useless?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    FLASH RUNS FAST

HOW USEFUL IS RUNNING FAST

(this is everyone who doesn't read a comic)

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I think its pretty unquestionable that Superman and Batman are the most well known comic characters.

However when you factor that Marvel couldn't use their most well known characters and DC could literal use two of those characters I think it is clear who has the advantage.

In my experience, it's Spidey, Supes, and Batman. Then you drop off a lot to...

Hmm. Math is probably way different now, with the Avengers. I mean, the top three are still the top three, but beyond that, Iron Man and Cap are probably way ahead of where they were.

• Options
    HOW EVERYONE FORGET ABOUT HULK

HULK THOUGHT EVERYONE KNOW WHO HULK IS

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I'd honestly put Hulk up with those other three.

Which leaves Marvel with the Hulk, a God from another dimension, a war profiteer, and symbol of American patriotism.

Without the movie that is.

If GL had a good showing(like they expected) then they'd have the instant audience from Superman and Batman and Green Lantern.

Wonder Woman is pretty popular and I've never seen people complain much about Flash.

To bad that the build up movies served several other purposes.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    when are they gonna take another crack at Howard The Duck

or is he just ruined forever

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    The Hulk is actually very well known and should be right up there with Batman and Spider-Man and Superman

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I liked the Howard The Duck movie

I don't care who knows

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    yup, TLB's right

again

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The Hulk is actually very well known and should be right up there with Batman and Spider-Man and Superman

He always seems the tiniest step down in notoriety.

Like if there's a name a superhero game, you ask someone who doesn't know comics at all for one, you get Batman, Superman, or Spider-Man. Ask for four, they get to the Hulk.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Batman has always been tops for me. I dressed up as him growing up tons of times. Loved the Burton films as a kid, and now as a 23 year old I love the Nolan films.

• Options
    I'm not arguing. I'm just saying that when it comes to Avengers vs JL characters the JL characters have the advantage when it comes to how well known they are.

I mean they had the Hulk.

That's it!

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Well, just about everyone knows Batman and Superman's origin, and most people understand the whole Wonder Woman thing (she had a tv show). The bigger problem with doing movies based on a lot of the other DC characters is that their origin stories are...well, kind of weak. I mean, I've read a lot of comics and to the best of my knowledge, Flash's origin is "hit by lightning, goes fast." There's no real need for a defining story for guys like the Flash.

I mean, it's down to the core difference between how Marvel does things and how DC does things, at a very generalized level. DC's always emphasized how their characters are iconic (which is why there are waaaaaaaaaay more legacy characters in DC than Marvel), which helps them stick in the public's consciousness for as long as they have. Marvel does more work emphasizing how their characters have flaws and personalities that are as important as their powers are in defining them, which makes it a little tougher to get people up to speed on who everyone is and what they're about.

And I know, that's an incredible generalization, and it's not true for everything, but it's why I think DC could probably get away with just kicking everything off with a Justice League movie. Hell, I mean, a lot of DC's characters might only work if they get lumped in with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman right at the start. I mean, Hawkman/Hawkgirl? That shit is weird. And Martian Manhunter's origin would work really well as part of the plot of a big team movie like Justice League anyways.

But given DC's track record in movies, I don't have a whole lot of faith in their ability to pull it off. Outside of Nolan's Batman movies, they've shown a remarkable inability to translate what makes their characters so enduring in comics and cartoons and translate that to a movie. It's really disheartening.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

the whole theater laughed really really hard and i did too because we all understood that we were not watching documentary film footage
    Waitwot?

Blake T on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    How would they even structure a Justice League film?

Like who would they have be the villain and such?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
This discussion has been closed.