As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Avengers! or why a Justice League film can't succeed!

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Shit, I honestly can't think of a good threat for a Justice League movie that isn't basically an alien invasion. Maybe "the center" from the New Frontier animated movie: only taken out in a far less crappy fashion?

How does the Justice League have no Villains?

I'm told darksied doesn't count and everybody else people have mentioned are personal arches teaming up.

What the hell has the Justice League been doing?

I'm gonna go through the cartoon synopsis's.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    How would they even structure a Justice League film?

Like who would they have be the villain and such?

They have an extensive rogues gallery to choose from.

Help us out Harry.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Shit, I honestly can't think of a good threat for a Justice League movie that isn't basically an alien invasion. Maybe "the center" from the New Frontier animated movie: only taken out in a far less crappy fashion?

I'm told darksied doesn't count and everybody else people have mentioned are personal arches teaming up.

Amos Fortune.

He sucks even more than you think.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    I might argue about Captain America being a cultural icon. I don't think i've met a single person who didn't read the comics who had any idea who he was before the movie came out.

You could also say this with Thor and especially Iron Man pre-movie release.
    I'm not sure who you are talking to. You seem to be saying that Cap isn't a cultural icon and implying that someone said he was. Or are you saying the opposite?

Well, if you're saying it the original way nobody said he was.

I read a post a few pages earlier talking about his relevancy throughout the decades in the public eye knowledge.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I may have said something along those lines. I guess what I meant was more that he used to be a big deal waaaaay back, but he's faded to the background of the pop culture landscape

but I mean, it made the newspaper when marvel killed him off a few years back, and that was well before the movie, which, to me, means he's a bit more known than say, ghost rider

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Just came back from seeing this.
    Good lord there was a lot of cringe-inducing one-liners, but otherwise the cast was used very well. Highlights for me were Iron Man using Cap's shield to attack multiple enemies (just when I thought I couldn't be any happier than when Cap shield-tosses), Banner morphing into Hulk and seamlessly punching out that snake-thing and Hawkeye's arrrow exploding in Loki's face (which lead to me bursting out in laughter).

And of course it was Coulson that was going to die, dang it.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Amos Fortune.

He sucks even more than you think.

Poor guy doesn't even have a wiki photo.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Darkseid seems the most likely

I'd go with Starro though

Do you think they would be blatant enough to use an extraterrestrial threat? I'm not sure. I'm really asking.

Injustice League? Of course then you need to explain six or so more characters and nobody knows who the hell the Cheeta girl is or why that Gorilla is talking.

They'd have to set it up like Marvel did with solo films first then all the villains get together to take on the League.
    Melding wrote: »
    well, there was that delightful the flash tv show so, flahs is covered. aquaman was on an episode of smallville, whatever we got this thing down people. we don't need no origins.

Aquaman had a few episodes.
    WHat they need to do is stop going with the trends never taking any risks. Superman looks like it's going to be terribly grim dark and Green Lantern seemed written to avoid any sort of personality or originality.

They need to be proud of there characters and try to show audiences what is cool about them. Something they are running out of time for. Superhero movies wont always be so hot and when things pass it's gonna be tougher to get new properties out there.

While they twiddle there thumbs and try their best to avoid representing the characters Marvel has been establishing it's studio as a guaranteed fun time. If Marvel maintains their quality until Avengers 2 releases people might starting going to their movies in the same way that people go to Pixar movies.

As in "I don't know what its about but its made by Pixar so I know it will be good".

Well said, Night.
    a world's finest movie would be a much easier proposition than a justice league movie, yeah, and would still probably make $texas

Agreed. That'd set up a new Superman and Batman perfectly for a League film. Also good for them learning how to do good films with more than one leading super-hero.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Good lord there was a lot of cringe-inducing one-liners, but otherwise the cast was used very well. Highlights for me were Iron Man using Cap's shield to attack multiple enemies (just when I thought I couldn't be any happier than when Cap shield-tosses), Banner morphing into Hulk and seamlessly punching out that snake-thing and Hawkeye's arrrow exploding in Loki's face (which lead to me bursting out in laughter).

What one-liners didn't you like? I got almost universally positive reactions to most of the witty stuff in the 2 screenings I've seen

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    "I have a plan: attack" comes to mind.

• Options
    Also I still can never keep straight what the hell Wonder Woman's origin is

• Options
    Yeah I liked that one.

Also as I look through the JL series season 1 I've found that the closest thing to a JL movie villain might be Aquaman.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I may have said something along those lines. I guess what I meant was more that he used to be a big deal waaaaay back, but he's faded to the background of the pop culture landscape

but I mean, it made the newspaper when marvel killed him off a few years back, and that was well before the movie, which, to me, means he's a bit more known than say, ghost rider

Didn't they bring him back from the dead?

Why would they do that?

• Options
    "I have a plan: attack" comes to mind.

Okay yeah that one was kinda weak

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

In one of his many sexual adventures Zues had sex with the Amazon Queen. Hera has grown weary of Zues's sexing and has begun killing his spawn so the Queen hides their affair claiming that she had forged her daughter out of clay and wished for her to come to life. Them being Greek myth's they totally buy it.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Why would they do that?

To put him in charge of SHIELD and give him a bitching costume. The real question is why the killed him in the first place.

The way they did it was so bad.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I would definitely prefer World's Finest to Justice League

like even keeping it in the Nolanverse would be fine, accentuate just how powerful Superman is

if only Man of Steel wasn't doomed to be awful by its director

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Why would they do that?

To put him in charge of SHIELD and give him a bitching costume. They real question is why the killed him in the first place.

Totally called it when they announced his "death" a few years back.

They're all "OH NO HE'S DEAD FOR REAL" and i'm all "yeah whatevah, you just want to make some extra cash"

And BOOM! Here we are

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Well, just about everyone knows Batman and Superman's origin, and most people understand the whole Wonder Woman thing (she had a tv show). The bigger problem with doing movies based on a lot of the other DC characters is that their origin stories are...well, kind of weak. I mean, I've read a lot of comics and to the best of my knowledge, Flash's origin is "hit by lightning, goes fast." There's no real need for a defining story for guys like the Flash.

I mean, it's down to the core difference between how Marvel does things and how DC does things, at a very generalized level. DC's always emphasized how their characters are iconic (which is why there are waaaaaaaaaay more legacy characters in DC than Marvel), which helps them stick in the public's consciousness for as long as they have. Marvel does more work emphasizing how their characters have flaws and personalities that are as important as their powers are in defining them, which makes it a little tougher to get people up to speed on who everyone is and what they're about.

And I know, that's an incredible generalization, and it's not true for everything, but it's why I think DC could probably get away with just kicking everything off with a Justice League movie. Hell, I mean, a lot of DC's characters might only work if they get lumped in with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman right at the start. I mean, Hawkman/Hawkgirl? That shit is weird. And Martian Manhunter's origin would work really well as part of the plot of a big team movie like Justice League anyways.

But given DC's track record in movies, I don't have a whole lot of faith in their ability to pull it off. Outside of Nolan's Batman movies, they've shown a remarkable inability to translate what makes their characters so enduring in comics and cartoons and translate that to a movie. It's really disheartening.

They can update the concepts. Choose the best material and dump the rest. Marvel's got that down to a science. The Justice League & Young Justice cartoons did, as well. WB's animated division is great place for them to start in how to execute their characters into forms the public will like.

You're underestimating how inaccurate Marvel's science is. They're not that far ahead of DC in that regard. Even in the films they're pretty vague with the science and do impossible stuff all the damn time. Only they ground it better in the real world. Movie! Stark has a magic cosmic cube in his chest yet no-one bats an eye at it. Cap somehow survives being in a coma for 70 years buried in ice with his limbs intact and hasn't aged a day. Hawkeye has archery skills Olympic archers would kill for, and Marvel didn't bother explaining how he got them either.

J'onn J'onz could be WB's Thor in the right hands. He's a very interesting character with a thin mythos so they could either connect him to other established super-villains or make new things up for him to their heart's content.

There's absolutely no reason WB can't make the iconic super-heroes relatable or use new characters that are suited for the modern era (Jaime Reyes, Kate Spencer, Helena Bertinelli etc).

To compete with Avengers WB has access to Teen Titans. They don't need to set up solo films for them with Wolfman & Perez's roster.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    I don't agree with that. I think Snyder could make an ok film.

However he needs someone to balance his fail.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

What one-liners didn't you like? I got almost universally positive reactions to most of the witty stuff in the 2 screenings I've seen
    In compiling this list I realised I should have said dialogue and not just one-liners, but off the top of my head: World keeps spinning, Hawk in his nest, drop the hammer and attack plan like Etch said. Also the argument between Stark and Cap was still annoying because Cap's movie established that Roger's personality was an important part of why the project was successful.

We have a Hulk was still great.

PS Zonugal your OP is wonderful

• Options

Help us out Harry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Justice_League_enemies

Not your fault. DC keeps altering her origin every few decades & different media. I like Perez's version. The recent animated film did a good job on her origin.

• Options

Help us out Harry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Justice_League_enemies

Not your fault. DC keeps altering her origin every few decades & different media. I like Perez's version. The recent animated film did a good job on her origin.

I'm not looking through those. There are a ton of them there and most of them will be to obscure/character-focused/stupid.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Why would they do that?

To put him in charge of SHIELD and give him a bitching costume. The real question is why the killed him in the first place.

Technically, they didn't kill him. Time bullets.

And the reason? To give Bucky a shot at the spotlight. People complained about Cap's death, but then the Bucky issues?

Apparently pretty good.

So a few months switched to over a year of Cap dead, and bringing him back felt even more awkward.

• Options
    Bucky's Cap was cool.

I was bummed to see him go.

I wouldn't have cared that Steve came back if he had actually stopped being Cap.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Why would they do that?

Technically he never died.
    It was a time bullet. Very confusing.
    -Tal wrote: »

like even keeping it in the Nolanverse would be fine, accentuate just how powerful Superman is

I'm fine with a World's Finest film setting up a new Batman that's closer to being sci-fi than a noir vigilante.

Brubaker planned it form the start. It was to set up Bucky being the new Captain America.

• Options
    there's nothing wrong with just giving people amazing abilities

why does Hawkeye have such unreal aim? because he's Hawkeye, that's his thing, that's why he's part of the team

Just like Batman is a super genius who knows all the kung fu and never gets tired

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Why would they do that?

Technically he never died.
    It was a time bullet. Very confusing.

I'm fine with a World's Finest film setting up a new Batman that's closer to being sci-fi than a noir vigilante.

Brubaker planned it form the start. It was to set up Bucky being the new Captain America.

Man, he says that but I really don't believe it. The whole thing just seemed really messy.

You want to do a character death fake out you do it like when Batman "died".

Quire.jpg
  • Options

In compiling this list I realised I should have said dialogue and not just one-liners, but off the top of my head: World keeps spinning, Hawk in his nest, drop the hammer and attack plan like Etch said. Also the argument between Stark and Cap was still annoying because Cap's movie established that Roger's personality was an important part of why the project was successful.

We have a Hulk was still great.

PS Zonugal your OP is wonderful

Wait I'm confused about the bolded. Could you elaborate as to your issues with it?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    why are people saying Man of Steel is going to suck

• Options
    superman-man-of-steel-set-photo-costume-henry-cavill-01-371x600.jpg

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    well all of Snyder's past films have sucked

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Shorty wrote: »
    why are people saying Man of Steel is going to suck

because people don't like snyder and a couple pictures from the set are all the proof in the world that he has no idea what he's doing.

edit: i'm not one of those people. i'm looking forward to my giant s logo'd superman punching the world in to oblivion.

Angry on
  • Options

fair enough

• Options
    When I see that movie I will have to try really hard not to yell out NICE COCK SUPES

• Options
    I love how not wearing red underwear actually accentuates his crotch more

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    well all of Snyder's past films have sucked

Well I don't know that anybody here feels like defending 300 it does have its fans and Watchmen was a very faithful adaption.

Also while his last movie sucked I respect what he tried to do with it. You see him talking in interviews and he actually had a good idea for a movie. Something pretty deep and interesting.

But the guy had no idea how to realize his vision.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Wow

Wow

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

fair enough

Also you have no idea how much I hate that Zod is in this fucking movie.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Perez's orgin is the current one for WW?

Something I know I have looked up is Vandal Savage I really don't remeber anything about him nor hearing anything about him until recently but then I know comics retcon all the time

This discussion has been closed.