Baidol wrote: »
    SLyM wrote: »
    INANTP wrote:
    i dunno, bedlam's "fuck the world i got day 1'd" board is pretty good

I want to see this board.

@Bedlam @I needed a name to post.

Give.
    Ok So my real power was to set up a proboard. It would involve anonymous contact with double dead people. And those DD could vote and I could pick one each day and it would affect the real vote. So I made a story around it.

The proboard is called Purgatory's Diner. You go there and your waitress, Charon, takes your sin order. She gives it to the chef and he serves up your sins in the form of a meal. The idea was from DR Mcninja where after several courses you get to move on to either heaven or hell. Also it was advised that you tip your waitress a silver coin. Oh also while you eat you are allowed to air your griveneces of another player which ties into the real power.

http://purgatorysdiner.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general

When I was the first DD I figured that I would roll with it and just have some fun roleplay with other DD people, since the power would be moot. I set up some back and forth between me and my charecter and asked INANTP to give out the link to all DD people (if I was still alive it would only work for the 4 people I picked on day 1). When he didnt give the link to Reg I figured I couldnt give it out myself becuase then people would know for sure it was me. So I gave up :(

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    @I needed a name to post. I'm pretty sure you were told how silly the "neutral on a proboard" VC was last time you used it. Why? See Rawk in the majora game

Never used it before. You're probably thinking of MrTLicious, who gave it to kime in his time travel phalla. I was interested in seeing it operate in a more faction-based game rather than the traditional mafia game, where it functionally makes the neutral who has it just an unmasoned mafia that they don't have any reason to trust.

And yes, it was meant to be very hard.

I think that because there's a whole wide variety of hosts with their own ideas on what does and doesn't work, ideas that maybe can work aren't iterated on and thus we never see them get to a point where they work, or a game where they fit. This is the third game where I've had someone need the names of every player to win, and not only did it work in this game it changed how the landscape of the game played out. If I had just given up on the role after facetious said "bah! this sucks!", Saber, Alegis, and REG would not have had the game experience this week that they did - for better or worse.
    From what @obifett said, and reading their proboard, I'm not sure that's better :P

Also, what did @bedlam think about it?
    I knew it would be hard, damn near impossible in fact. But the first person to contact me was saber and since they needed something and I needed somthing I offered them a trade. When they refused I got irritated and let them know that part two involved them not living (despite me not having anyway to kill them outside the vote). And they retaliated and murdered me.

I am absolutly over the moon when it comes to unique rolls and wincons so I went with it and this is what I got. Also INANTP games tend to have a ton of flavor which I always appreciate. So yeah, Ive got some new grudges. To the point of letting my old grudges go like a caged bird in the wild.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So this was kinda fun.
    And Rend, I hate you.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    Hey, INANTP, do you remember the game where the guy pretended to need people to post once in green, like, just change the color of their text, and it didn't happen?

Yeah that was me, it was really hard to convince people to post in forest green. Not a bad cover though.

Also for the record I posted a cat day 2.

Looks like my distrust of the info brokers got my faction killed... oops.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I felt bad for Bedlam and I totally did not like the power everyone gave the information brokers!

Day 1 TRV and I started talking (as we are want to do) and I learned about his veer vote changing powers! I also learned that REG was giving him a target name. That is when I got really suspicious of the whole thing. I seer'd TRV in the real night 1.

Day 2 Langly and I started talking about the veer, I had guarded him the night before because I knew he would be a target (Langly WITH INFORMATION? Dead.) That ended up not being the best idea for me but oh well! From there I learned Langly didn't like the ways the brokers were acting (well Saber was ok, I guess) and I had a big thing about wanting to reveal TRV's stuff everytime it got mentioned but I promised and so I kept my mouth shut.

Day 3 I seer'd Saber and learned he was village. I took no part in talking to anyone at this point, TRV was my puppet and I the ventriloquist. Langly and I had made a veer deal to work to level together and I was guarding Langly, saber and eventually myself (JDARKSUN) of the course of the game, that didn't work out because no one attacked us again.

Day 4 I think I died? My seer target as Anialos. Because of his fervent agreement with Langly about Kime. I was suspicious of SLyM, Cayrus, Obifett Anialos and Lucedes the most :P

Day 5 I was going to guard Lucedes but then everyone went and voted for them, and I was like "hey, nothing to lose" So I went out and told everyone not to vote for them. It didn't work.

Oh and was I right about how Kime worked? I was pretty happy with my thoughts on that.

I WAS A NIGHT ELF!

(I had fun this game even though I was pretty confused and not really sure what to do most of the time)

(Also I think that maybe keeping the reveal of the dead until both versions were killed was a mistake, am I wrong in that?)

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »
    (Also I think that maybe keeping the reveal of the dead until both versions were killed was a mistake, am I wrong in that?)

I figured that arguing for double-tapping people in both worlds to get guaranteed information vs trying to play more for your Veer win condition would be an interesting dialogue and debate to have between players. I wanted to engender that sort of conflict between people who were more interested in one game than the other.

In practice, people did not care that much about the traditional mafia game at the start, so that dialogue never occurred.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Well that sucks, having more vigs around would of helped me.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Yeah retaba, I was worried about reg, not saber. Saber and I were working closely together.

Also I kept trying to find targets for you to guard, but I really did think that we and saber were huge targets.

• Options
    Lucedes wrote: »
    i basically beat SLyM up and stole his lunch money for that name.

We had agreed on the proboards to give his name in return for guard info the previous day.

• Options
    Retaba wrote: »

I figured that arguing for double-tapping people in both worlds to get guaranteed information vs trying to play more for your Veer win condition would be an interesting dialogue and debate to have between players. I wanted to engender that sort of conflict between people who were more interested in one game than the other.

In practice, people did not care that much about the traditional mafia game at the start, so that dialogue never occurred.

Well they wanted to kill me when I was seered, I am just very convincing!

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    i basically beat SLyM up and stole his lunch money for that name.

I only gave it to you because I had already gotten what I wanted from Saber.

I think the mafia needed a little something more than 2 kills when everyone was super-durable and it went from what amounted to like 40% mafia turning into 20% mafia on the final day.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i noticed a lot of roleblocks and guards in this game. it seemed really hard to kill anyone.

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Anialos wrote: »
    Also a shoutout to @Smoove Operator and @Langly for being the best neutral buddies a hacker could hope to have.

Condolences to the family of @Capfalcon for the error in his deletion while hunting down the baddies.

Oh, and @jdarksun. IT WAS ME, BRING THE GRUDGE!
    Aw. Why'd you do it?

Nobody I had a grudge on was playing and the only other people to veer vote me Day 1 were either too obvious or working with me by the end of the day. I have to admit I found your reaction hilarious, but I would do the same if I lost such a cool role.

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting INANTP.
    I assume this was original source material, which makes you crazy good!

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    REG and Saber wound up working against that role (inadvertently) anyway, what with spreading out the veer votes.

@TheRoadVirus Warrants a grudge way more for his idiotic vote on me.

What'd I do this time?

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    So this was kinda fun.
    And Rend, I hate you.

Why? I wasn't the one who killed you!
    I didn't even order the kill!

• Options
    When was the last time Langly was village?

Arabian nights mini

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    Oh and fake obi is grudged forever

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    REG and Saber wound up working against that role (inadvertently) anyway, what with spreading out the veer votes.

@TheRoadVirus Warrants a grudge way more for his idiotic vote on me.

What'd I do this time?
    You killed me for no reason!

When did I do that? Were you one of the people I threw the votes onto?
    If so, it was nothing personal. I didn't know who was in what faction, and I had to get all of the votes from one faction onto a member of another one in order to win

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    M.D. wrote: »
    Oh and fake obi is grudged forever

I only did that initially to complete my VEER wincon. The sweepstakes thing for drugs would have been perfect had RENDDEAL.COM stuck around for more than a day.

After I claimed neutral, though, I was kinda stuck so I kept playing as a neutral.

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    I'm sorry for killing you Retaba. I thought you sounded mafia since you were defending Langly. And I used my first kill on Langly, but apparently so did everyone else.

My veer power to prevent people from attacking me I invariably used on people that died that night.

Thanks for running this INANTP!

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    lol, that's worse. Not killed by an act of will, but carelessness.

I was guided by the infomongers. They had the info necessary to get me the win, so I listened to them

• Options
    lol, that's worse. Not killed by an act of will, but carelessness.

I was guided by the infomongers. They had the info necessary to get me the win, so I listened to them

Now you're changing your story. Did you vote me because Saber told you to, or because you forgot to switch to kime/t_a?

I thought we were talking about the veer?
    I had absolutely no idea that my ONE vote on you would kill you. I apologize for that. Kime and T_A were ahead of you so I didn't bother to change my vote. I thought you were the person I killed the night I won in the veer. My mistake

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I don't have the link handy anymore, that post was mostly a joke.

Bedlam did intend to continue using his role's proboard as a place for the permadead to chat and shoot the shit without revealing that the person running it was also dead.

....I decided not to hand the link out when the second dead was REG Rysk.

Probably a good call there

@bedlam - <3 ???

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    @I needed a name to post. I'm pretty sure you were told how silly the "neutral on a proboard" VC was last time you used it. Why? See Rawk in the majora game

Never used it before. You're probably thinking of MrTLicious, who gave it to kime in his time travel phalla. I was interested in seeing it operate in a more faction-based game rather than the traditional mafia game, where it functionally makes the neutral who has it just an unmasoned mafia that they don't have any reason to trust.

And yes, it was meant to be very hard.

I think that because there's a whole wide variety of hosts with their own ideas on what does and doesn't work, ideas that maybe can work aren't iterated on and thus we never see them get to a point where they work, or a game where they fit. This is the third game where I've had someone need the names of every player to win, and not only did it work in this game it changed how the landscape of the game played out. If I had just given up on the role after facetious said "bah! this sucks!", Saber, Alegis, and REG would not have had the game experience this week that they did - for better or worse.
    From what @obifett said, and reading their proboard, I'm not sure that's better :P

Also, what did @bedlam think about it?
    I knew it would be hard, damn near impossible in fact. But the first person to contact me was saber and since they needed something and I needed somthing I offered them a trade. When they refused I got irritated and let them know that part two involved them not living (despite me not having anyway to kill them outside the vote). And they retaliated and murdered me.

I am absolutly over the moon when it comes to unique rolls and wincons so I went with it and this is what I got. Also INANTP games tend to have a ton of flavor which I always appreciate. So yeah, Ive got some new grudges. To the point of letting my old grudges go like a caged bird in the wild.

@Bedlam As has been said before, threats are not always the best method for getting help. And the amount you "explained" to me or what was conveyed to me was nothing. You threatened to have me killed in some way (or other members of our faction) and I had the capability to make you go away in the veer. Thanks to TRV I was trying to set up a "WE HAVE THE POWER" environment from me while Saber took the nicer road. That would hopefully discourage people from their distrust in one of the two scenarios. But the whole "Rysk is mafia because INFORMATION BROKER" was just utterly terrible.

The reason we ended up backing White Nights was because most of (if not all of) their members contacted us. They became a variable we could manage, And All Of Us didn't want to be managed. You guys didn't know, but you had lost the first member of your faction on the day vw died, so I wanted to go for a WN member originally, but realized that AAOU wasn't cooperating so it may be better to create a scenario where they needed us to win and would begin cooperating.

Honestly, with my Veer power I was way better off dead to the team since the seer powers came from Alegis/Saber. The emergence of Warcraft 6 on the last few days terrified me; in my head I'm seeing all the Unaligned roles being part of a third group we didn't know existed and not being able to win. Super awesome work to Saber and Alegis for that one. I double win!

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

@Langly?

I've had hardly any time online since moving and starting my summer job, what did you want me to see? :P

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    @REG Rysk You want to talk about threats? Your group told me point blank that I was to give you all my information or else I would be killed and you would recieve it that way. I offered a deal, Help me out and I will help you out in return. You wanted everything from me and to give me nothing.

Thats not going to work with me ever. Ive given over my powers to factions in games before only to get screwed. Theres no way your offer would ever make sense since there are multiple proboards I had to get on, so waiting for everyone to get their wincons and leave the game and win by default would never have worked, since once you achieved victory the veer game would have ended. (as I understand it)

YOu can rationalize it all you want but you fucked me. You gloated about fucking me. And then you freaked out and flipped a table towards the end of day 2.

Congrats on your win, you played a short game. I play a long one. I will find a way to repay you. How is that for a threat?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    facetious wrote: »

@facetious?

I've had hardly any time online since moving and starting my summer job, what did you want me to see? :P

Saber and his two faction members just were the first to complete the win con you had initially in brass phalla

Langly on
  • Options
    Oh the first brass?

Because Peccavi had it in the train brass game.

• Options
    @MrTLicious

Ignore the summons. I am creating a portal :D

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    facetious wrote: »

@facetious?

Saber and his two faction members just were the first to complete the win con you had initially in brass phalla

Oh.

Well.

:x

Edit: That's still not the correct emoticon.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    @REG Rysk You want to talk about threats? Your group told me point blank that I was to give you all my information or else I would be killed and you would recieve it that way. I offered a deal, Help me out and I will help you out in return. You wanted everything from me and to give me nothing.

Thats not going to work with me ever. Ive given over my powers to factions in games before only to get screwed. Theres no way your offer would ever make sense since there are multiple proboards I had to get on, so waiting for everyone to get their wincons and leave the game and win by default would never have worked, since once you achieved victory the veer game would have ended. (as I understand it)

YOu can rationalize it all you want but you fucked me. You gloated about fucking me. And then you freaked out and flipped a table towards the end of day 2.

Congrats on your win, you played a short game. I play a long one. I will find a way to repay you. How is that for a threat?

@Bedlam - not sure what conversation that was, because it wasn't with me. I gloated over killing you because you were being a goose and trying to threaten my group and their win condition and I had the capability to make it happen.

Aside from that, my argument against letting you into our proboards was because all the information we held was a form of leverage, when a third party enters that scenario we lose it. I was just not prepared for that to be the case so I denied you that until the time we were ready to post our list. And you are wrong, we never ended the Veer in any form. We just win when we post the list.

So awesome for you man. You're making shit up and acting tough again kind of like how you acted to me in this game and are pretending it's my fault. Try reading the italics with a sarcastic tone, I hope that gets my point across. Look forward to your "revenge" for whatever you think it's worth. It's deserved for my having you killed. But remember, I only did that in the Veer; I didn't do jack shit to you otherwise.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    nah

I agree with bedlam

You three were incredibly goose-ish to anyone who wouldn't give you exactly what you wanted right when you wanted it. You guys threatened and tried to forcefully coerce a lot (not all) of the players in the game to give you what you wanted without giving anything in return. I even pointed out that neither REG nor Alegis helped with my VEER wincon the first day (all it needed was a simple post), so why would I help with your VEER wincon for nothing? I got absolutely no logical response besides: "give us your info or else we might get mean".

And when people didn't immediately give into your demands, oh man. Like in my case it took a couple hours and some discussion for me to come around, but I eventually did help you guys. Then post-game I look at your proboards and you guys called me a "douche" and said I was being "obstinate" during that time. Really?

Not cool. You three were royal geese this game.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Even if that's all true, this is a game about talking to people and making them do what you want.
    I mean if they have enough influence to be hyper-aggressive, your options are to either give in or fight it with your own influence.

You can't fault them for playing that way, phalla isn't about being nice to people. That's like getting mad at someone in Risk who's more powerful than you and refuses not to take you over to increase his own territory.

Also, re: in thread win conditions: I almost never agree to do those unless I've talked to the person first, because I generally don't trust anyone with whom I have not spoken directly. So that's why I didn't endorse renddeal.com (which I am incredibly sad I didn't...!) or post a cat (also disappointed!)

• Options
    Look forward to seeing you all in a future phalla!

Hope I didn't piss off too many people.

• Options
    Rend

Its still a game you are playing with people and they should still be treated like fellow players. When I play Risk I don't go around threatening fellow players if they don't help me win the game. I also don't whisper to other players how much a douche someone is being because they are still thinking about and/or debating with me about the merits of helping me.

Sportsmanship should still exist inside of phalla.

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    When I play Risk I don't go around threatening fellow players if they don't help me win the game.

Then you're playing it wrong. :P

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    Rend

Its still a game you are playing with people and they should still be treated like fellow players. When I play Risk I don't go around threatening fellow players if they don't help me win the game. I also don't whisper to other players how much a douche someone is being because they are still thinking about and/or debating with me about the merits of helping me.

Yes, it should. Plainly and simply.

But in phalla, threatening fellow players unless they agree to help you win is kind of a legitimate strategy, and while "douche" is a pretty caustic word, when the primary mechanic of a game is talking to someone, words like "obstinate" etc. are pretty much it.

What I mean to say is we adopt a new persona whenever we enter a new game. Getting mad at someone is certainly something you can do, but don't stay mad after the game!

• Options
    Rend wrote: »
    Rend

Yes, it should. Plainly and simply.

But in phalla, threatening fellow players unless they agree to help you win is kind of a legitimate strategy, and while "douche" is a pretty caustic word, when the primary mechanic of a game is talking to someone, words like "obstinate" etc. are pretty much it.

What I mean to say is we adopt a new persona whenever we enter a new game. Getting mad at someone is certainly something you can do, but don't stay mad after the game!

I understand the whole new persona thing in each new game.
    Sounds good to me.

And while we are talking about phalla philosophy let me just state that, in my mind, the level of someone's betrayal in one game has no bearing on my trust in them in the next. Generally, people play to their role and some roles require more betrayal than others. I don't fault people for the way they play in one game, especially if their situation and/or role required them to play in such a way that they were dishonest AS LONG AS it contributes directly to their wincon.

It is a game after all. :)

TLDR: For me, everyone starts at a neutral level of trust/distrust in a phalla. If I allowed trust to carry over from one game to the next, I think of that as a weakness to be exploited. Same with allowing distrust to carry over from one game to the next, as I could be preventing a useful ally from working with me.

The problem I have is people being downright mean or rude in a game. Especially calling me, like you said, "caustic" names when all I was doing was negotiating the price of my cooperation. You can bet this is gonna carry over to the next game. I have no desire to play with people who don't treat others the way they would want to be treated during a game.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    From what I understand, it's not so much that they were leveraging someone else's kill for some reason or another, it was the gloating over "catching more flies with honey" when they were the ones swinging the their big stick around everyone

steam_sig.png