Options

Skyrim: Now with realistic horse vaginas! Dragonborn DLC out 12/4.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I thought nobody liked half-elves

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Bretons have the wimpiest shout voice

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    if bretons came from nords and altmer how come we still have nords and altmer

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    daedric influence

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    the "half-elves" are doing the best job of fighting off the thalmor

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    the "half-elves" are doing the best job of fighting off the thalmor

I think you mean the Redguard.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    well sure but I don't think the elves are really trying that hard against hammerfell since they don't even have a tower

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    well sure but I don't think the elves are really trying that hard against hammerfell since they don't even have a tower

They took over half of Hammerfell before they were pushed back!

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Argonians bestgonians

• Options
    well there's not really a lot of gonian competition, is there

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    has anyone tried this Requiem mod that overhauls skyrim in a bunch of ways

it seems cool as heck and would maybe get me to play this again cause it adds a lot of fun stuff i miss (mostly spells spells own)

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19281

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Pharezon wrote: »

They took over half of Hammerfell before they were pushed back!

alternatively

they only took over half of Hammerfell before they were pushed back

and not even pushed back so much as getting into a stalemate and the Dominion figuring they already got a pretty good treaty so who cares about hammerfell

the redguards ultimately got a rawer deal than the Dominion from the war

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Bretons have the wimpiest shout voice

Sad thing is that breton voices in skyrim are still an improvement over what they sounded like in previous games. Morrowind, especially...all breton males sounded like fussy algebra teachers.

I just always had the feeling that any breton warrior in full plate was wearing a cardigan and khakis underneath, biding his time to break out the slide rule and start lecturing about imaginary numbers.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    skyrim web comics

c11hG.jpg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    I am becoming increasingly tempted to boot up skyrim even though dragonborn is almost upon us
    and I don't wanna ruin that by peeking at my christmas presents early

so I think I'm going to try to release the pressure by copying dubh and trying to get into daggerfall

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    smof wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Dunmer is the most correct option for Skyrim because

I think the Dunmer race could use a break.

Kwarma's delish

mmmmm

tasty eggs

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    august wrote: »

I've been following that for awhile now, it's good to see them making progress like this.

Yeah I managed to get it up and running on Ubuntu although it took me a half an hour to figure out where to put the files (my fault, I was trying to run openmw directly instead of the launcher) and the wiki is misleading about what files you need (all of Data Files not just the .esms) and I had to go to the forums to figure out how to turn clipping on, but it's pretty damn awesome. There's no animations or combat or quests yet but you can totally run around Vvanderfall and listen to mx_explore_1.mp3. Their weekly progress bulletins are pretty awesome and encouraging, and since they set up a ppa it means I'll get their updates automatically.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    So, does anyone know if there is a decent Spell Timer UI mod out? I can't seem to find one via google or Nexus/Workshop, but I see a lot of threads on skyrim forums requesting them

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Busy day in Winterhold!

I finally haul my ass out there to start at the College, stop into the Frozen Hearth to check things out
    Come outside and there's a vampire attack going on

Once that's dealt with I head over to the girl at the bridge to the College, but in the middle of the conversation she turns around and runs off
    I turn around to see three big motherfuckers standing there looking like they want to have some hard words with me
    After much flailing around (my level 8 mage being a bit of a spaz) I pull a note off one of the bodies indicating they'd been hired by the apprentice blacksmith lady in Windhelm

I guess I lifted an ingot from her or something
    Touchy sort, that girl

• Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    What a bitch. You should probably set her on fire for that.

You know, to let her know that you're actually a nice fellow and there was probably just a misunderstanding or something.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    So.

It has come to my attention that people are trying to get into Daggerfall. As much as I enjoy the game I do not know this is a good thing. There are so many idiosyncrasies it's not even funny.

It IS however, fucking amazing, despite all of its very massive, very glaring flaws. So, without further ado, the MECHMANTIS GUIDE TO MAKING A CHARACTER THAT WILL MORE THAN LIKELY GET OUT OF THE STARTING DUNGEON

All races are viable, but there are absolutely NO stat changes between them because of a bug. This is a theme in the game. Get used to it. Races with innate resistances or immunities are easiest to play for obvious reasons.

So how do you change your initial stat spread, you ask? CUSTOM. CLASSES. This, here, is where you can either make, or break the game for yourself. Or you could play one of the default classes which is potentially stupider than doing such in Oblivion.

Take, for instance, the Acrobat.
    Acrobats practice the thieving arts, and use their remarkable physical skills to aid them. They are very quick, agile, and nimble.

Traits: Athleticism, Adrenaline Rush, leather armor only, no shields, no axes. Max gain of 8 HP/level.

Primary Skills:
    Jumping
    Dodging
    Running
    Major Skills:
    Climbing
    Hand-to-Hand
    Stealth
    Minor Skills:
    Pickpocket
    Critical Strike
    Backstabbing
    Short Blade
    Archery
    Swimming

I don't know the stat spread but holy god that skill spread is atrocious. You will be levelling all the time forever, you have ONE combat skill at the very least NEAR Primary which while it's good if you're able to LAST that long, you won't, because you're only packing 4-8 HP per level. Dogshit.

Or maybe you wanna play a Healer?
    Healers use their magic to treat injuries and cure illnesses. Their function is primarily defensive in nature.

Traits: 1.75x intelligence in spell points, rapid healing, leather or chain armor only, no long blades, no axes, no kite/tower shield. Max gain of 8 HP per level.

Starting Spells: Heal, Slowfall, Lock, Bouyancy

Primary Skills
    Restoration
    Medical
    Dodging

Major Skills
    Thaumaturgy
    Mysticism
    Alteration

Minor Skills
    Illusion
    Streetwise
    Etiquette
    Short Blade
    Hand-to-Hand
    Blunt Weapon

Have fun doing anything useful! Sure you can heal yourself. And lock doors. BUT YOU'RE JUST GOING TO GET MURDERED. Sure you have three weapon skills. But they're in Minor. And skills are still percent. And let me tell you if you're rocking a 15% weapon skill or something and you are in a fight that is anything close to equal you are going to be missing almost every single strike.

These are some of the worst, admittedly. But there's certainly stupid shit everywhere! Knight has Etiquette as Primary, back before Etiquette and Streetwise were combined into Speechcraft and it doesn't even do much of anything useful. I'm all for thematic picks, guys, but only if they have some actual bearing on gameplay.

So what do we do instead? We forge our own. One actually designed for the perils of the world instead of some utopia where all the non-combat options in Daggerfall got added in. So scroll on down to Custom when the game says "DO YOU WANT TO PICK A CLASS" because Custom is civilization.

DF_Custom_Class_Creation.jpg

Welcome to the Class Maker. On the left, you have your statistics, on the far right you have some fairly self explanatory buttons, (Except for reputation, which changes the way factions look at you early game, don't bother touching it for gameplay purposes, awesome for flavor stuff), in the middle you have your skillset.

In the middle right there is the very important SKILL DAGGER. This tells you how "powerful" your character is. More "powerful" characters level slower, WAY slower. "Weaker" characters level faster. You cannot have your Skill Dagger go into either of the red zones, so there are some limits here. HP Per Level, and any Special Advantages or Disadvantages will move that Dagger around.

And first things first? Your stat spread. They all have to add up to 400 at the end of the day. I'm going to rate them on rough level of importance, but keep in mind plusses or minuses come every ten stat points:

Strength: Pretty good! Hit harder, carry more loot (and gold since it has weight!)
    Intelligence: Potentially GODLY if you're playing a high magic character. Otherwise not that useful.
    Willpower: Ehhhhhhh... it won't hurt to take some points from it. I usually take 10 from it for other more, useful stats.
    Agility: Very nice. You hit more often, they hit more often. But I usually take 5 or so from it, to fuel other things. It's easy enough to get the stats to bring it back up to par or more with a few levels.
    Endurance: Very nice. More HP per level, which is particularly good. Also increases your healing rate while resting but that's... not overly important.
    Personality: Functionally useless, but I guess it does have an effect on some things. Another free 10-15 points. Or 20, if you're bold like me.
    Speed: THIS IS THE STAT OF KINGS. You do EVERYTHING FASTER. MUCH FASTER. At 100 you're rocking 2-3 attacks per. second.
    Luck: THIS IS THE STAT OF LESSER KINGS. This affects loot drops Heavily. The earlier you can get your hands on a Daedric weapon, the better off you'll be.

Now to Skills.

My general setup usually goes something like this:

Primary:
    Weapon Skill (usually Long Blade)
    Restoration or Destruction (Or for a stealth focused character, Stealth)
    Critical Strike (Or Backstab if stealthing it up)

Major:
    Restoration or Destruction (whichever didn't get picked)
    Dodging
    Short Blade (for the Ebony Dagger)

Minor:
    Running
    Climbing
    Swimming
    Mysticism
    Mercantile
    Wild Pick. Usually another school of magic, Stealth (if a non-stealther), or Jumping

This setup gives me a good bunch of combat skills, utility, and will allow me to pretty much join any guild under the sun. Also gives you access to your magicka bar, even if with only three schools. But Mysticism is basically mandatory. Or at least having an item enchanted with TELEPORT/MARK/RECALL WHATEVER IT'S CALLED is, because otherwise you will be lost in dungeons that you WILL get lost in, I guarantee it.

Special Advantages/Disadvantages are where the powergaming and flavor come in. If you ask me about a certain setup I'll grade it, but otherwise go nuts.

MANUALLY CHOOSING YOUR CHARACTER'S BACKGROUND IS IMPORTANT IN THAT YOU NEED AN EBONY DAGGER, PERIOD, DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS. If you see a button labelled "Ebony Dagger" you click that. Period. Always. It is unbelievably helpful early on.

• Options
    oh hey I forgot to link DaggerfallSetup up there

whoops

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular

smof wrote: »
    Argonians bestgonians

More like Argpwnians.

• Options
    Oh just a note there are some other VILE AND HIDDEN TECHNIQUES but they're easy enough to find online

or just learn on your own!

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I just made my own class

decent health, inherent health regen

but absolutely shit magic use

and I only wear chain

my primary weapon skill is blunt, and I went with all the acrobat movement skills, as well as stealth, critical strike, and backstab

so, I spend most of time smacking things and backpedaling

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Finally cracked and got skyrim on the PC after owning it since release on the xbox. Managed to get it at GMG for $22.50 combining the half off sale they are running with this code: Y56GQ-JV8C8-HLPNL

Now I have to figure out how well my aging computer runs it and what mods I want to install.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    I just made my own class

and I only wear chain

my primary weapon skill is blunt, and I went with all the acrobat movement skills, as well as stealth, critical strike, and backstab

Don't backpedal, DANCE.

Move forward, HIT, move back. Move forward, HIT move back. It's like backpedaling constantly but with the added bonus of more than likely dodging enemy counter attacks!

• Options
    1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3...

• Options
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    I just made my own class

and I only wear chain

Don't backpedal, DANCE.

Move forward, HIT, move back. Move forward, HIT move back. It's like backpedaling constantly but with the added bonus of more than likely dodging enemy counter attacks!

well, I was doing that on my first day of playing

but mostly because I had no idea what I was doing

I'll switch back to it, then

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Mech, you really need to stop making me want to play games I ought not to play. Bad enough I'm sorta getting back into Morrowind and Skyrim ('cause fuck Oblivion, except for Shivering Isles). Now I have the urge to play Daggerfall.

• Options
    picking places at random to go because why not
    I ended up at a temple of arkay and decided to ask if they needed any help, because arkay is cool

so they send me to take care of a haunted house
    I go to this house and there is a wraith in there! it says something about how it built this house and how it should be allowed to stay but fuck you ghost I am on direct orders from the god of death sorta I am going to hit you with my sword

I strike down the wraith and notice a man cowering in the corner of the room- he must be the house's owner
    I walk over and try to talk to him

"Hahahaha!" he laughs. "you, talk to me?"

yeah, this is an elder scrolls game alright

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Daggerfall looks like a game I am going to stay very far away from

• Options
    two things I have noticed about daggerfall very immediately

1. at this time in the elder scrolls games development, the style is still very much conventional cheesecakey fantasy
    2. enemies make terrifying noises

I just had some mage lady enemy wearing only a hood, a vest that barely covered her breasts, and a loincloth snarl at me

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    There will probably never be another game quite like Daggerfall

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    OH GOD STOP THE PRESSES

STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES

Under no circumstance ever, period, should you EVER take Critical Weakness to Disease.

You will get the Plague in the starter dungeon from the MANY rats, and you will die.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    picking places at random to go because why not
    I ended up at a temple of arkay and decided to ask if they needed any help, because arkay is cool

so they send me to take care of a haunted house
    I go to this house and there is a wraith in there! it says something about how it built this house and how it should be allowed to stay but fuck you ghost I am on direct orders from the god of death sorta I am going to hit you with my sword

I strike down the wraith and notice a man cowering in the corner of the room- he must be the house's owner
    I walk over and try to talk to him

"Hahahaha!" he laughs. "you, talk to me?"

yeah, this is an elder scrolls game alright

Try going to the attic.

You'll learn pretty quick where the game places quest NPCs and items.

• Options
    OH GOD STOP THE PRESSES

STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES

Under no circumstance ever, period, should you EVER take Critical Weakness to Disease.

You will get the Plague in the starter dungeon from the MANY rats, and you will die.

wait why would you be able to choose weakness to disease

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    OH GOD STOP THE PRESSES

STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES

wait why would you be able to choose weakness to disease

Because Daggerfall is a game of giving you all the choices.

maybe you want to play a leper or something I don't know

EDIT: Also so you can then pick something along the lines of "Absorb magic all the time" which means as long as your magicka isn't topped out you just don't take damage from magic

because you absorb it
    hint don't use the all the time one, it costs more for no benefit. you only really fight enemy spellcasters in the dark so use the "Absorb magicka in the darkness" variety

MechMantis on
  • Options
    In... the dark?

• Options
    In dungeons, indoors, or at night, whenever there isn't a pesky sun around.

This discussion has been closed.