Options

"I should go", said this [Mass Effect] thread - find the new one.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    the whispers > the kid

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    What also annoys me is that you never tell people about this fucked up dream you're having, even the person who you've supposedly been in love with for like a decade. Like, I've known my girlfriend for a year and I'll tell her some random fucked up dream I had last week. The fact that you never talk about how much all this stuff is weighting on you makes it really hard to connect with any of the relationships in the game, because I don't feel like Shepard is being him/herself with them
    Surely Shepard is not going to reveal that s/he's having erotic dreams about the child s/he was secretly spying on during confinement. Gotta keep the creepiness under wraps.

• Options
    Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    I still maintain having the Virmire Dead Person instead of the kid complete with them yelling at you about your failures instead of spooky fire fade out would've been way better.

if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Options
    Except I don't at all regret letting the Space Nazi die.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    If you let her die on Virmire, how can you shoot her later?

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
  • Options
    dspimonidspimoni Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Starkid should have looked like Conrad Verner. That would have been the best twist ending ever.

dspimoni on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I forget that Ashley or Kaidan are even in ME3 because Ashley bugged out from my game and vanished after I invited her back after the citadel coup and I still haven't done another playthrough because I don't like ME3 enough

its no great loss though because the bit on mars with them has them both being insufferable fucking children so I didn't really want either of them on my ship anyway

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    TychoCelchuuu did you catch in me3
    the side question where you head to the elcor home world for the diplomat to pick people up and when you hand it in

Shepard asks

How many people did you save?

Not.
    Enough.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Botznoy wrote: »
    TychoCelchuuu did you catch in me3
    the side question where you head to the elcor home world for the diplomat to pick people up and when you hand it in

Shepard asks

How many people did you save?

Not.
    Enough.
    Yes, and maybe that would have mattered to me if literally every planet weren't being destroyed by Reapers constantly. Honestly if the game wants to make death matter to me it has to find some way other than "constantly tell the player people are dying even though the player has no choices that can actually change how many civilians die so really it feels like the number of civilians who die has been predetermined before I even play the game so why bother?"

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Because if Shepard doesn't do anything then literally everyone dies?

That and even renegade Shepard doesn't strike me as someone who would sit idly when he's given a job that might help the grand scheme of things.

• Options
    Everybody dies if you don't do anything, sure, but it's not like the Reaper invasion is a legitimate threat that is progressing across the galaxy and you have to race against time to stop it. You can spend 60% of your time in Mass Effect 3 flying around the galaxy firing probes at people and stealing their priceless artifacts and the Reapers won't kill a single person that they wouldn't have killed if you focused entirely on progressing the plot enough for the game to let you legitimately try to stop the Reapers instead of doing pointless diplomacy in an effort to get all the galaxy's ships in one place so the Reapers can annihilate them more efficiently. Even Mass Effect 2 did it better: if you dicked around too much before the end game, some people would die (although your dicking around would be what saved your squad members, assuming the dicking was loyalty quests, so that was stupid too).

• Options
    Yeah, but as people have said before time limits in a game genre that encourages full completion runs are dick moves.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Too much realism in games is not a good thing. Punitive time limits suck.

I'm reminded of the UFC fighting game on the brobox. It's so realistic they managed to map everything a fighter does to the controller!

The end result is a control scheme that is so ultracomplex I gave up on the game after investing hours in it and still not being able to do anything other than getting pinned down and beat to a pulp. Compare that to the unrealistic fighting controls of just about any popular fighting game. Unrealistic but fun.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Just finished my insanity game, selected blue ending this time. Watched the credits roll past and no insanity achievement. Reading on this I either need to go back to the last save which means I play the messy crap and a half hour of movie bullshit, or replay the entire game without doing any multiplayer.

Hah, those pesky scamps Bioware and their software bugs.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Time limits suck but Mass Effect 3 did a really shitty job of making you feel the tension of the reaper attacks.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    What I was hoping for in ME3 was a wider scale version of the Suicide Mission.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Yeah, but as people have said before time limits in a game genre that encourages full completion runs are dick moves.
    Yes. I agree.
    I'm not talking about realism, I'm talking about why I didn't give a shit when I got told for the 800th time that a bunch of civilians died.
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Time limits suck but Mass Effect 3 did a really shitty job of making you feel the tension of the reaper attacks.
    That's exactly my point. However you want to make something like "the Reapers are killing literally everyone" feel like it's actually happening, Mass Effect 3 didn't. I suggested time limits not because I think they are fun but because I think they work. This might mean that the only way to make the Reapers feel scary is to make the game shit. That's totally fine with me - I think they bit off far too much to chew for the Mass Effect trilogy and one of the key reasons I don't like the overarching plot is because "Space Cthulhus have come to kill everyone" just isn't doable for a studio with BioWare's skillset and game design pedigree. It can work in a game like X-COM. I'm not sure it can work in a game like Mass Effect. Mass Effect's gameplay elements are set up for telling different stories than the one BioWare tried to tell.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I generally don't have a difficult time accepting the video game conceit that urgent things are happening urgently (even though I can spend as much time as I want picking daisies with no consequence), but I agree with the sentiment as far as ME3 is concerned. People dying and dying and still more dying allows too much fatigue to set in. The entire set up was flawed from the start.

Still there are some incredibly great personal moments (Mordin, anything that Garrus does, Bakara, etc.) which is where Bioware really shines after all. They should make their Mass Effect games on the ME2 model: A series of character vignettes loosely tied together by a "lets get the bad dudes" plot.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Ideally ME3's campaign would have being presented as a Star Map with the Reapers spreading out from Earth and killing systems. Shepard mostly spends his time going to planets and setting up desperate last stands and evacuations as his side-quests as well as dealing with other pressing matters such as Grissom Academy.

Ocassionally campaign missions pop up in the form of major missions that Shepard must embark on immediately. Based on how well Shepard has done with manning resistance in the sector the situation in the mission changes.

Would even tie in well to multi-player having those multiple sectors of readiness. Would have being cool IMO.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Yes. I agree.
    I'm not talking about realism, I'm talking about why I didn't give a shit when I got told for the 800th time that a bunch of civilians died.
    That's exactly my point. However you want to make something like "the Reapers are killing literally everyone" feel like it's actually happening, Mass Effect 3 didn't. I suggested time limits not because I think they are fun but because I think they work. This might mean that the only way to make the Reapers feel scary is to make the game shit. That's totally fine with me - I think they bit off far too much to chew for the Mass Effect trilogy and one of the key reasons I don't like the overarching plot is because "Space Cthulhus have come to kill everyone" just isn't doable for a studio with BioWare's skillset and game design pedigree. It can work in a game like X-COM. I'm not sure it can work in a game like Mass Effect. Mass Effect's gameplay elements are set up for telling different stories than the one BioWare tried to tell.

so what exactly is the criticism here, that they didn't make a shitty game?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Yes. I agree.

so what exactly is the criticism here, that they didn't make a shitty game?

That the mechanics do a poor job of portraying the themes presented.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I don't remember playing any game with an "oh no urgency!"-plot that actually felt very urgent. Urgency can be portrayed within a single mission/stage, though.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    I don't remember playing any game with an "oh no urgency!"-plot that actually felt very urgent. Urgency can be portrayed within a single mission/stage, though.

FTL does it to a degree.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    X-COM, FTL, almost any roguelike, Atom Zombie Smasher, Jagged Alliance 2 depending on how your campaign is going.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Ideally ME3's campaign would have being presented as a Star Map with the Reapers spreading out from Earth and killing systems.
    Well, in a step towards that, as the game progressed, more systems had the little Reaper icon hovering over them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    X-COM, FTL, almost any roguelike, Atom Zombie Smasher, Jagged Alliance 2 depending on how your campaign is going.

Oh, yeah, X-COM. Not sure about most roguelikes, though.

Edit: Persona 3/4 can feel urgent, but the feeling is "I'll miss a date!", rather than "Monsters are coming!"

PLA on
  • Options

Oh, yeah, X-COM. Not sure about most roguelikes, though.

Edit: Persona 3/4 can feel urgent, but the feeling is "I'll miss a date!", rather than "Monsters are coming!"
    Mass Effect 3 doesn't even make "I'll miss a date" feel urgent. Traynor promises to meet you for lunch but she forgets because she gets wrapped up in that space game tournament, but Shepard can meet 7 people for lunch first and then meet Traynor and she'll still have forgotten.

I'm not saying the alternative is better - time limited quests would be a pain in the ass. And there would be no point - why add tension to whether or not you can meet Traynor for lunch? Nobody gives a shit. But the game is trying to make me care about the Reaper invasion, so there should be some tension there if they want the story to work. But there is no tension, and the story doesn't work.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    So I just restarted the game, having never beat it because I got sucked into the multiplayer. I bought every piece of story dlc. You fine fellas mind telling me the order and roughly when I should do each piece? Thanks.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Omega and Leviathan you can do whenever. Do Citadel after Rannoch, although I've been advised to leave the party until after beating the game so that's what I've done.

• Options
    Basically what Tycho said. If you absolutely don't want to wait, though, then the earliest you should do the party is after Horizon.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Basically what Tycho said. If you absolutely don't want to wait, though, then the earliest you should do the party is after Horizon.

Cool, thanks. I've got no problems waiting until beating the game. Actually really excited about this run through. Been wanting to revisit this game for...well round about a year now.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Even Mass Effect 2 did it better: if you dicked around too much before the end game, some people would die (although your dicking around would be what saved your squad members, assuming the dicking was loyalty quests, so that was stupid too).

All the key plot missions before the point of no return weren't available until some event happened or information was acquired by others, and then you automatically commenced that mission, so it's not like there was something more effective you could be doing in the meantime. The one point where you can choose at your leisure whether or not to take the quest is the one that punishes you for delaying.

FTL does it to a degree.

Only in the final stage.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Don't bother with the Firewalker stuff, it's awful.

That's what they said about Mass Effect 1's Jello Car. And it was amazing!
    Even Mass Effect 2 did it better: if you dicked around too much before the end game, some people would die (although your dicking around would be what saved your squad members, assuming the dicking was loyalty quests, so that was stupid too).

Wait, what?! D: I've done loyalty quests for all the squad members in the base game and was planning on getting the DLC squaddie and doing the Cerberus Network stuff and maybe doing a bunch of mining and upgrading all the things before going after that transmitter. But now there's actually a time limit? Noooo.

Frem on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the firewalker stuff, except for the geth combat mission

On insanity that suuuuucks

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the firewalker stuff, except for the geth combat mission

On insanity that suuuuucks

Long range sniping removed the difficulty. Didn't make fighting the geth fun, but it kept me sane.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    ME1: slow, wobbly tank that can jump short heights, one big cannon that actually does damage

combat method: stay away, shoot, jump, shoot, repeat

ME2: fast, lithe tank that can jump super high, spammable homing missiles

combat method: stay away, shoot, jump, shoot, repeat

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Your idea of Mako combat is rather odd, best way to use that thing was RAMMING SPEED.
    Plus, you know, actually having something resembling armor.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Frem wrote: »
    Don't bother with the Firewalker stuff, it's awful.

That's what they said about Mass Effect 1's Jello Car. And it was amazing!

Wait, what?! D: I've done loyalty quests for all the squad members in the base game and was planning on getting the DLC squaddie and doing the Cerberus Network stuff and maybe doing a bunch of mining and upgrading all the things before going after that transmitter. But now there's actually a time limit? Noooo.
    There's only a time limit
    After getting Legion and the crew is kidnapped. Before you do the IFF mission you have as much time as you like.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Basically, when you hit a point in the plot where the game pulls a bullshit excuse to do some weird stuff, then after that, the time limit is on.