Options

[Painting Miniatures] The War of Art 2: Brushes covered in paint edition

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Wash gold with purple. I shit you not.

Also you used a bit from Celestine. Anything related to her can choke to death on a mountain of cocks.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    With purple, you say? Hmmm...

Sounds like someone's butthurt.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the feedback, @Dayspring. Everyone else, you suck.

I washed with gryphonne sepia on the gold, at least once, usually 2-3 times. Should I go darker?

I think there is some confusion - from the pictures it didn't look washed because how uniform the gold looks. Typically, after I wash something, i'll go back and pick out the higher parts of the model, leaving the wash in the recesses. Usually it's just the base color of the metal prior to washing (but I usally get more fancy). This can be much more readily discernable with metallics, because of the hue and how they really reflect light.

For example, look at this model:

1B21AAC6-41E2-486D-8F7A-6EC5D7545B98-7944-00000EF326215615_zpsce4aaea4.jpg

Look at the shield - the spear, the smoke/exhaust stacks, and the armored part above the head (neck?). Notice it appears darker, and then around the edges brighter -and that's any edge - the blade of the spear, the tubular parts of the smoke stacks, the hard edges of the shield and the rivets. That's just highlighting the models back with base metallics. It's easier for the human eye to differentiate the depth when you present a line along an edge, rather than leave it one color (washed or otherwise).

So if you take that model you have with the winged fancy thing on his back (feathers are easy to highlight), go back over it with your base metal you painted it with. Take care to stay out of the crevasses - maybe just hit the bottom half of each feather with your base color. Go slow, make sure it's watered down a wee bit, and see how that looks.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Also, Gryphonne Sepia is a very yellow-ish wash, and for gold that's not going to darken it that much to give it depth. I'd definitely consider washing with something darker, Devlin Mud or Ogrun Flesh.

• Options
    Also, Gryphonne Sepia is a very yellow-ish wash, and for gold that's not going to darken it that much to give it depth. I'd definitely consider washing with something darker, Devlin Mud or Ogrun Flesh.

R.I.P. Devlan Mud - Army Painter Strong Tone will also substiutue nicely for a good gold wash (it's a little bit darker than Devlan though). I also recommend Secret Weapon Armor Wash - I use the hell out of it for all my metallics. Love it. P3 Armor wash is also decent!

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    With purple, you say? Hmmm...

Sounds like someone's butthurt.

Celestine kicked his puppy when he was a child.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    @3lwop0 - With the gold I was using the wash primarily to make the gold darker, which is why I didn't highlight it. I wanted a more subdued look, but you're right, I should still be doing something to bring out the edges.

@tzeentchling - Devlan mud was too dark, I can't remember how Ogryn Flesh affected it, I'll take another look with that. I remember using all 3 and thinking Gryphonne got it the closest to the gold/bronze look I was going for.

My aim was to make the gold look like it was dulling down and becoming more of a brass color.

How did the two faces turn out? The standard bearer was really half-assed, but I actually tried on the mace.

How about the freehand banner?

• Options
    I thought the freehand on the banner was really clean - well done! The mace wielders face looks very space-marine dogged and chiseled well done again! You do create a bigger contrast between shadow/recess and highlight - but there ain't nothin' wrong with that man.

Faces are tough man. Over black primer, it can be nuts to go from a bright pink hue to several layers without looking chalky. I used to base coat a thicker pink hue, like Tallarn Flesh, wash it, and then go over it with a few other flesh tones to bring out the highlights. It always came out chalky.

If you have the means, I suggest VMC: Glaze Medium. I wish I had known about it when I started hobbying.I started useing Vallejo Model Glaze Medium to dillute my flesh tones with, and the chalkiness went away, or at least, you gotta work hard to mess it up. I use a 1:1 ratio, and it's been crazy good ever since.

• Options
    Because I'm artistically challenged, I don't ever do any mixing, except on things I'll only ever paint once (Like the leaves on the EC, I mixed green and white when the thread told me to highlight them).

I do a lot of thin paints over black when doing white/flesh. Generally do like you said and start with a darker shade, then use a lighter shade on top. Still get chalkiness now and then, but I'm only painting up to a table top standard.

The bottom freehand I used a pencil and kinda made a frame to paint into, the top I tried to just wing it and it didn't turn out nearly as well. Being smaller and doing gold on red also were factors.

I work with GW paints, watered down out of the pot and it works alright. I'll never be as good as most of the guys in this thread, which is fine by me, I'm happy with what I achieved here, I just wanna be able to do it faster. Just takes practice and knowing exactly how to achieve the colors you want. You can see the difference in the robe shading between models as I took time off between models and forgot exactly what I did to achieve the shading I got on each one.

I found that using dwarf flesh as a base and elf flesh as a highlight was wayyyyy too drastic of a difference, do you do 1:1 mixes for skin highlights?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    For you I'd say paint whatever Tallarn Flesh is called now, wash with flesh wash, layer the base flesh color again and maybe add a little bone for the final highlight.

Though if I were painting the flesh on you "totally not chaos-tainted, we swear for reals" templars I would skip warm flesh paints entirely and go dheneb stone -> layer 1:1 dheneb stone:white -> highlight white -> slather on flesh wash

• Options
    Each to thier own man - you paint just fine. Heck of a lot better than when I started out hobbying, that's for sure.

For the gold on red, sometimes it's ideal to base a darker color underneath the gold to help it blend into the red (and give the gold a solid base). Most folks use a darker brown. Draw the symbol out with base brown, gold over the brown - worth a shot one day if you wanna try it and see if you like it.

Whoo, yeah, Dwarf to Elf is a big jump flesh tone wise. Using the colors you listed and keeping it simple - typically what I would do is base Dwarf - Hit it with some Fleshwash, let it dry, and then go over it again with dwarf flesh, but staying out of the recesses (eyes, chin, nose, cheeks, brow, ears, etc.,). Then I’ll mix up something a shade brighter - in your case, a simple 1:1 Dwarf/Elf mix, add about 50% water, and then paint only the prominent parts of the face. To wit, the nose, cheeks, usually the tops of the ears, the brow, and the most prominent part of the chin are what you look for, maybe the scars if they’re raised scars. If you're feeling saucy, maybe dab some white on the eyes; hit it with a micron pen (.5). That's it. Keep it watered down so it's not chalky looking, and use multiple thin coats if it's clear one ain't hackin' it. Just be patient and let the layers dry. That's it, easy peasy.

• Options
    Here, use this guy as an example:

ebeae6ed34ffd97fd13f915c07420a4a_zps371d7d0f.jpg

The cheek creases, the area around the eyes (like a racoon almost), the divet in the chin - those areas were left the origional washed color. Everything else I took up with a little fancier version of what I just wrote. Since most space marines are bald, this ain't the best example, but hopefully it conveys the idea.

I phoned in the hair on this guy. I just couldn't handle his flowing locks, feathered and lethal.

• Options
    How do you take pictures that are so close you can see the eyes? I have a macro setting on my camera, but it just won't focus when I try to get that up close.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Take the picture from further away and crop it, or get a SLR and an actual macro lens. Lenses have a minimum physical distance that they can focus from.

• Options
    Yeah. I'll have to stick to the camera already paid for. Unfortunately. Guess I'll just have to keep making do. lol

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    More often than not you want to avoid washing something with the same color.

I frequently use purple wash on green areas.

• Options
    How do you take pictures that are so close you can see the eyes? I have a macro setting on my camera, but it just won't focus when I try to get that up close.

Believe it or not, I use my iPad mini. I shit you not.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    More often than not you want to avoid washing something with the same color.

I frequently use purple wash on green areas.

Also good? Blue wash on red.

• Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    2731f84a-ab3d-4fe9-a276-8203f7b0912b.jpg
    6287c106-6858-4bdc-9690-d6342362cc8e.jpg8ab6ac73-0c74-4ec0-9354-245c599ca8ec.jpg18924ff3-1dda-4da1-bf3a-3554b7886953.jpgfe9463f3-514b-4baf-a7e1-c321135853e2.jpgd91d4ca8-2638-4ad0-bcd7-d571622f2058.jpg

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    there are some really freaking awesome Infinity models, out there and your paint job does that one alot of justice.!

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Oof, that's awesome! The colouring and details are fantastic, but looks like it needs a hit of matte. I love infinity because of models and paintjobs like that. I hate infinity because of some of it's other models though.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    re: washing, I've been washing the red cloaks on Tox's Sternguard with purple.
    I will not admit how much of this is due to artistic choice and how much of it is my primal desire to use the colour purple on everything i paint, ever.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Yeah, I use purple wash on reds too. Gives nice shading.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Sup brohams.

Somehow part of the post was eaten by the interwebs and only the pictures got through. Been a while since I've posted here. Been a while since I've done anything related to miniature painting really. These threads were always nice to keep me motivated, so now that I have the time for it I'm going to be painting and posting.

That there Ariadna SAS was my first attempt at not using washes or metallics, I'm very happy with the result.

@McGibs - I did a double coat of Vallejo Matte Varnish, brush on. It only gets that bit of shine when you point a bright light at it from about 15cm, can't really notice it on the table.

And I used to wash the red on my Orkz with purple too.

Bonus pic
    fotografia3-1.jpg

Just need to slap on some decals and these gents are ready to pound some 15mm comunists

It Burns on
  • Options
    One of the first minis I ever painted was a figure I used for D&D back in the early 90's. He was a knight with a shield, and he looked like one of those classic knights with the flat-topped helm. I did him in a quartered yellow and purple scheme and to this day I love that look. I painted a Marienberger warband for Mordheim in the same scheme. Well, mostly painted them. I still have three figures left to go. I should post them someday.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    @It Burns Is that Beachhead? I really want the answer to be yes.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    That's a dude from Infinity.

Link

Now I'm thinking I should have painted him orange...
    DSC04593.jpg

It Burns on
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    That's a weird beachhead repaint...Orange... so strange. I was thinking more like this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Beachhead_G.I._Joe.png

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Orange is stealthiest

• Options
    Ah yes, the Space Marine doctrine of camouflage: "They see us coming and shit their pants."

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Hnnng, I shout paint my Tohaa.

• Options
    I'm bored at work, so I'm thinking about painting my stormtalon. I won't be starting on it soon, since I'd liek to finish a bike squad and two tac squads, not to mention these never-ending terminators I've been on forever. Forever. Getting thru these five models is going to induce celebratory events.

Anyone here who has painted a stormtalon, how did you do the frame of the window. I can't imagine my hand is steady enough not to get paint all over the actual window panes. And it seems too tiny to tape up.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Why would it be too tiny to tape?
    You might want some narrower than normal masking tape (Tamiya makes the one I use) but that's optional really, as long as you have a sufficiently sharp knife to cut the tape to fit. I like a #10A scalpel blade, myself.
    Just press the tape into the recesses with the back of the blade then gently cut down into the crease. The sharper the blade the less pressure will be needed so the easier it is to do without screwing up and scratching the "glass" panels.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Anyone here who has painted a stormtalon, how did you do the frame of the window. I can't imagine my hand is steady enough not to get paint all over the actual window panes. And it seems too tiny to tape up.

Actually, Tamiya makes 10mm masking tape. I use it for my 15mm Flames of War stuff, but in a pinch it would do fine on a cockpit. You can also use regular painters tape and an exacto knife - 28mm isn't as unforgiving as a 15mm model.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    You'd think they'd attempt to get everyone who pledged the first time their stuff before launching into a second...

According to their Kickstarter update they just did finish sending out consumer orders! If they're running a second one then I assume this must have worked out as profitable. I was mildly worried they'd cock up the maths and bankrupt themselves.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    3lwap0 wrote: »

Actually, Tamiya makes 10mm masking tape. I use it for my 15mm Flames of War stuff, but in a pinch it would do fine on a cockpit. You can also use regular painters tape and an exacto knife - 28mm isn't as unforgiving as a 15mm model.

Nothing is too small to tape when you have 0.4mm Masking Tape.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    are you fucking kidding me

• Options
    It's what this guy uses.

md-Humor%252C.jpg

• Options
    Chrysis wrote: »

Nothing is too small to tape when you have 0.4mm Masking Tape.

How does someone use that? You'd need the hands of a 4 year old, and dexterity of Liberace.

• Options
    LeperLeper Registered User regular
    How does someone use that? You'd need the hands of a 4 year old, and dexterity of Liberace.
    I so want to make a joke about the reverse, but I think it belong in the Cards Against Humanity thread.

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
This discussion has been closed.