Options

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN NEW ONE!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    What the hell took so long?

Better late than never, I guess.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Sul wrote: »
    I… have not been paying enough attention to Mario, it seems.

Me, watching trailer: "The hammer came ba… boomerang Mario?"

Not to mention Goomba Mario.

Geez, Nintendo. Racist much?

My first thought when I saw that part of the trailer was "Is that... is that Kuribo's Head?"

People in the Mushroom Kingdom use every part of the goomba.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I can't believe this took them seven years

That they were content to sit around and let companies like Nyko eat their lunch

But yeah, better late than never I suppose

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Only black!

But my Golden Zelda controller!

meh, eneloop works fine for me anyway; $40 for the base and battery is pretty steep, that's like 8 eneloops.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Sul wrote: »
    I… have not been paying enough attention to Mario, it seems.

Me, watching trailer: "The hammer came ba… boomerang Mario?"

Not to mention Goomba Mario.

Geez, Nintendo. Racist much?

My first thought when I saw that part of the trailer was "Is that... is that Kuribo's Head?"

It looks like there is a Kurbio's Skate as well.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Is there a way to make the YouTube application not dim while I'm watching videos other than occasionally touching the gamepad screen?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Any quick opinions on this Seagate 2tb external usb 3.0 hdd?

It's a really nice price on newegg right now ($70 after discount), and I thought it might be nice to grab for the wiiu.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Is there a way to make the YouTube application not dim while I'm watching videos other than occasionally touching the gamepad screen?
    I don't think you have to touch the screen, just bump the pad. It's sensitive to motion.

But yeah, yet another reason I dislike the app. And yet, earlier today one video "was not available on my device" in the browser, but worked in the app, so ugh.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PacoPaco Registered User regular
    Any quick opinions on this Seagate 2tb external usb 3.0 hdd?

It's a really nice price on newegg right now ($70 after discount), and I thought it might be nice to grab for the wiiu.

I can't comment on the quality of that drive directly, but as long as it's externally powered (which it appears it is) it should be fine.

Is the Wii U USB 3.0 though? I was under the impression it was 2.0 only.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VGAddictVGAddict Registered User regular
    Could the Wii U cause Nintendo to go third party next gen?

• Options
    edited October 2013
    VGAddict wrote: »

really.jpg

Did you sign up just to ask that?

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I don't see them giving up the home console market that easily. But at the same time, I really wouldn't mind one bit. I've mentioned before that I've completely indifferent to their hardware, and pretty much only buy it to play their games.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    And I've mentioned before that I buy a PC to play 360/PS3 games, so I'm pretty tolerant of how things are now.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    They've in the past said that the day they can't support making their own systems is the day they stop making games, so don't exactly start hoping for them to become a 3rd-party developer.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Enlong wrote: »
    They've in the past said that the day they can't support making their own systems is the day they stop making games, so don't exactly start hoping for them to become a 3rd-party developer.

Eh, I think it's probably an empty statement. If they were ever in a position where their hardware sales went to shit, with little to no hope of turning around, but there was still significant interest in their various IPs, I highly doubt they would just call it quits.

"Sorry everyone, I know there's still plenty of money to be made from our popular franchises, but we have to hold true to some off-hand comments we made in a couple of interviews some years back. So everyone clear out your desks."

Edit: I doubt we'd see Nintendo get to that point anytime soon.

Dirty on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Worst case scenario right now would be that Nintendo drops the home console market and just focuses on the handhelds.

But even that sounds a bit far-fetched.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    It is my dying wish to see a Super Mario Universe trailer with a PlayStation 5 logo at the end

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    It is my dying wish to see a Super Mario Universe trailer with a PlayStation 5 logo at the end

640-x-2704.jpg
    mzl.gcqpwrzd.480x480-75.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular

This thought makes me irrationally angry on some kind of deep, spiritual level.

Now a joint venture with Sega? The Super Genesis Entertainment System!

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    If it ever goes like that then they WILL drop out and just do handheld. WiiU has its woes, but the Nintendo 3DS is kicking ass and taking names.
    Next gen I imagine they'll do a home-console style handheld which is both in one. Hooks up to the TV when you're at home. We've discussed that before though.
    Everyone seems to act like home consoles are the only thing that matter, but handhelds could easily keep nintendo afloat.
    PLUS another thing people forget is that nintendo has huuuuuuge bank. Big big bank. They could flounder for the next two gens and still be fine financially.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    JDetanJDetan Registered User regular
    VGAddict wrote: »

No it won't, never ask that again, this whole discussion is old hat.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Nintendo's systems will never need to sell as many units as the other consoles, because they spend way less to make them on less expensive hardware, and they will forever and always be able to get by on first party titles alone. If you're not somebody who is married to Nintendo system exclusives like Mario, Zelda, etc. then you really shouldn't even bother buying Nintendo consoles.

I bought a Wii for only a few games, like Xenoblade Chronicles, and I bought a Wii U basically only for maybe one or two mario games, zelda, the new xenoblade game, and probably bayonetta 2. The Wii U was cheap as hell compared to what I've spent on consoles before, so it wasn't even a hard purchase.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Nintendo's systems will never need to sell as many units as the other consoles, because they spend way less to make them on less expensive hardware, and they will forever and always be able to get by on first party titles alone.

I think that model is fine as long as they can consistently provide quality first party titles on a regular basis. Wii U's first year is where that whole plan completely fell apart. Their failure to deliver titles would have been ok had the release lineup been bolstered by third party titles but they've completely screwed the pooch there too. I'm one of those people who was "married to Nintendo" as you put it, but they managed to erode my patience and the majority of my purchases this year have been for PS3. They won't have enough fans to support their own games if they keep that up for too long.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Hey WiiU thread, I have a hard drive question.

I've been using a Western Digital My Passport Essential external HDD that I had lying around with my Wii U. It is connected to and powered by a single USB port. I hadn't had any issue, but over the last few weeks I've had the WiiU hard-lock while playing Lego City a couple of times, always when saving (maybe happens during 1% of saves), and moreso, always when doing several quick saves in a row (so most often when buying unlocks in the police station).

I know Nintendo recommends an external drive that is powered separately from USB, but I really don't have the $ to invest in one now. I was wondering if a using a Y-cable to connect to 2 USB ports on the Wii U would help any, assuming power consumption of the hard drive was the issue. Any experience with this?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I've heard good reports about the Y cable. They're pretty cheap so I say go for it.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    My Wii U hard locked like crazy using a Y cable. Just get yourself a nice powered HDD and save yourself the headache.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    True, worst case I am only out 5 bucks. Thanks!

I am really loving finding all the extras in Lego City, for some reason lego games are some of the only ones I bother to 100%. I am closing in on 90% complete, so it shouldn't be much longer. Then I need to figure what to move onto next. I should probably put Skyward Sword in and get that finished up ...

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Hey WiiU thread, I have a hard drive question.

I've been using a Western Digital My Passport Essential external HDD that I had lying around with my Wii U. It is connected to and powered by a single USB port. I hadn't had any issue, but over the last few weeks I've had the WiiU hard-lock while playing Lego City a couple of times, always when saving (maybe happens during 1% of saves), and moreso, always when doing several quick saves in a row (so most often when buying unlocks in the police station).

I know Nintendo recommends an external drive that is powered separately from USB, but I really don't have the $ to invest in one now. I was wondering if a using a Y-cable to connect to 2 USB ports on the Wii U would help any, assuming power consumption of the hard drive was the issue. Any experience with this?

I have been using a Y cable with mine with no problems at all. No hardlocks or issues at all. It takes it a bit to warm on the initial start up but I think that is normal. Never had any issues with locking up on save or any other time. Plus they are dirt cheap.

• Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    I use a Y cable too. I'm still so pissed that this is even an issue considering that every laptop and tower I've ever owned since 2001 can power a portable enclosure through one port. I really hope this gets fixed in some later hardware revision.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I use a Y cable too. I'm still so pissed that this is even an issue considering that every laptop and tower I've ever owned since 2001 can power a portable enclosure through one port. I really hope this gets fixed in some later hardware revision.

Depending on the drive one can be enough. I never tried with mine but I have heard of a few drives that operate flawlessly. So it should be patchable at some point once the Wii U situation gets stable enough for them to care about something that minor.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    As someone who buys Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, I'd be fine with the WiiU getting Gamecube levels of success

However, game prices have only gone up 10 dollars since then, and Nintendo has acknowledged that HD development has been more time consuming (and by extension, more expensive) than expected, so I'm not sure if a Gamecube-level success if sustainable

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

That must have been an incredibly quick deal - it's not showing up anywhere on their site now.

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    Shows up at $18 now.

• Options
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Shows up at $18 now.

Yeah, they sold out shortly after I posted.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    So I decided to take advantage of the sale and get Rayman Legends. The platforming, level design, and music are all great but the murphy levels can go fuck themselves, they just kill all the fun the previous levels built up.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    So I decided to take advantage of the sale and get Rayman Legends. The platforming, level design, and music are all great but the murphy levels can go fuck themselves, they just kill all the fun the previous levels built up.

Are you playing it single player or coop? If the former, I could see where it might be an issue, but I have only played it coop so far with my daughter playing as Murphy and so far this is one of the most fun games I've ever played.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah the murphy ones are so great as a coop thing

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      I enjoy the Murfy levels since they're a nice change of pace.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    This discussion has been closed.