As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] atop a Skyscraper

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    I am a butt and am sleeping even though it's DRX's last few hours in Scotland, maybe I should wake up and go spend time with him and stop him from playing with my laptop doot doot doooo <3

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Ak47 bullets travel in such a way that when they hit the body, they don't just go through you, the spin, back over front, thus making your meaty parts ground beef.

The images are truly terrifing if I wasnt on my phone and trying to sleep.

theres a reason that gun is so popular even today

...that reason being there are like a billion of them out there and they are pretty much immune to abuse.

that but the round also carries a lot of punch

i am basing this opinion on a documentary i watched about the worlds greatest weapons where they covered the AK-47 in detail and compared it to modern rifles

the nuts and bolts is like you said it's dependable as anything, the round carries more kinetic energy than most but the accuracy sucks compared to most

but yeah people don’t make 100 million of something unless it’s pretty good

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »
    The firearm death rate (per capita) according to Echo's link, is roughly 200 times higher there than here.

Thats... suboptimal.

10 times what it is in Sweden.

Which, really, tells me that it's flawed data because it's gathered in different ways from different countries.

There was an article a bit back about how Sweden, in statistics, has a whole lot more cases of rape than other European countries.

That's all about how the data is gathered. An abusive relationship of two people where one gets raped daily? 365 cases of rape in the statistics. Other countries may or may not count the same way.

lies, damn lies and statistics

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Blegh, I need to figure out a way to talk to the shy girl I have a crush on.

But I am also shy and super self-conscious and i have all these issues and shit...

open your mouth and make noises at her

that is normally how talking works

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Ak47 bullets travel in such a way that when they hit the body, they don't just go through you, the spin, back over front, thus making your meaty parts ground beef.

...that reason being there are like a billion of them out there and they are pretty much immune to abuse.

i am basing this opinion on a documentary i watched about the worlds greatest weapons where they covered the AK-47 in detail and compared it to modern rifles

the nuts and bolts is like you said it's dependable as anything, the round carries more kinetic energy than most but the accuracy sucks compared to most

to be fair, accuracy isn't a high priority for a significant subset of people who use AK-47s either

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Whenever someone labels a ticket in our system as a "fire" (production stoppage..meaning it is affecting multiple people or entire departments) but then the content of the ticket is "Need Google Earth on my computer"

I lower the urgency to 1 and tell my coworkers to do anything other than that person until there is no other work left to do because fuck them.

The worst part is that it actually is probably a legit ticket. And I could probably fix it pretty quickly. But I can't do shit if I can't get the info I need from the user. Though I will admit some of this is due to sub par training for the first level guys who take the calls on exactly what questions to ask.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    4UInZ5z.jpg

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Ok, I went back to the code blog and some of the posts are good. This is what I want:
    In episode 3 of series 2 of Airwolf, computer expert Dr. Karen Hanson has to deal with a “Logic Bomb” in Airwolf. This is first depicted by a screen full of hexadecimal numbers.

Subsequently she is seen listing with the LIST command an Apple BASIC program that produces a screen full of… random hexadecimal numbers.

tumblr_mz562fbyxC1tognpro2_1280.png

Debugging note: notice that the screen of hexadecimal does not contain the digit F at any point. This is because the code used to generate the random hexadecimal contains a bug. The INT(RND(1) * 15) + 1 will produce an integer from 1 to 15 and can never output 16 and hence the F from the string A$ is never chosen.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

to be fair, accuracy isn't a high priority for a significant subset of people who use AK-47s either

it really isn't

when it was designed the idea was a bunch of soviet troops would spill out the back of an APC, hit full auto and spray a wall of lead at the target

that's what the gun was designed for, you don't need pin point accuracy for that

it's a typical soviet zerg rush gun

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular

Counter point
    mcdonalds_billions.png

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

But I am also shy and super self-conscious and i have all these issues...

Step 1: Just talk to her.
    Step 2: Oh no she wasn't looking at you and only caught the last two words.
    Step 3: Oh no wait you opened with a joke and gave a little laugh NOW YOU HAVE TO DO THE JOKE AND THE LAUGH AGAIN.
    Step 4: Quick, turn it into a cough and pretend you said nothing.
    Step 5: She's not buying it. Run.
    Step 6: Die alone.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I really hate how unpredictable vyvanse is for me. Some days it works fine. Other days it makes me jittery as fuck.

I had the same problem.

You're thinking 5.56.

The AK47 fires 7.62, which generally doesn't tumble.

It has more to do with penetration if I understand things correctly. You just kind of fire and don't worry about being accurate.

Once you hit that caliber of weaponry people start getting a little chunky from time to time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

But I am also shy and super self-conscious and i have all these issues and shit...

It's the sorts of noises I should make that I'm unsure of.

Should I go with simian "ook-ooks" or more mechanical "wheep-brrrr-doot-doot-doots?"

• Options
    edited January 2014
    BSoB wrote: »

Counter point
    mcdonalds_billions.png

always an exception to the rule

besides

i have on certain occasions enjoyed a big mac >.>

Casual on
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Whenever someone labels a ticket in our system as a "fire" (production stoppage..meaning it is affecting multiple people or entire departments) but then the content of the ticket is "Need Google Earth on my computer"

I lower the urgency to 1 and tell my coworkers to do anything other than that person until there is no other work left to do because fuck them.

That's also my response to e-mails with the 'High Importance' exclamation point.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

Well, according to CW shows, you guys should show up at the same place. Then you'll shuffle your feet at each other and kind of briefly look up shyly and smile once and awhile. You may say some awkward phrases and laugh. But then.. the moment comes when you finally make real eye contact. You'll stare deeply into each other's eyes and and immediately Imagine Dragons will start playing in the background. Then the camera will pan back as you start tearing each other's clothes off as the chorus reaches its height. RADIOACTIVE RADIOACTIVE.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    4UInZ5z.jpg
    I still find the fixation on swords funny.

Like, if you're going to declare the supremacy of any given medieval or other ancient weapon, why not the spear?

Holy shit people GoPro spearfights now? That is goddamn cool.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »

Counter point
    mcdonalds_billions.png

always an exception to the rule

besides

i have on certain occasions enjoyed a big mac >.>

Were you drunk?

This may also explain Russians and AK-47s.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I really hate how unpredictable vyvanse is for me. Some days it works fine. Other days it makes me jittery as fuck.

I had the same problem.

You're thinking 5.56.

It has more to do with penetration if I understand things correctly. You just kind of fire and don't worry about being accurate.

Once you hit that caliber of weaponry people start getting a little chunky from time to time.

7.62 is pretty scary in person, but not practical for a military since it's bigger, heavier, and you can carry less of it. Modern automatics were developed on the observation from WW2 that the winner of a given firefight was whoever could put more rounds in the general direction of the enemy, since pin-point shooting is out of the question in a big firefight and it's all about suppression mostly.

This has led to divergent ideas though, since the US's problem with firearms has been that they're unwilling to abandon marksmanship as a quality, but tighter tolerances mean it's way less forgiving of dirt and you know, the various things which happen in an actual war.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2014

It's the sorts of noises I should make that I'm unsure of.

Should I go with simian "ook-ooks" or more mechanical "wheep-brrrr-doot-doot-doots?"

Do your best R2-D2 impression. Then progress to C-3PO. Then Data. Then Kirk.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I had the same problem.

You're thinking 5.56.

Yea take a look at what happens to a person when hit with a .50 cal round.

It's not pretty.

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »

Well, according to CW shows, you guys should show up at the same place. Then you'll shuffle your feet at each other and kind of briefly look up shyly and smile once and awhile. You may say some awkward phrases and laugh. But then.. the moment comes when you finally make real eye contact. You'll stare deeply into each other's eyes and and immediately Imagine Dragons will start playing in the background. Then the camera will pan back as you start tearing each other's clothes off as the chorus reaches its height. RADIOACTIVE RADIOACTIVE.

I hate this world.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I dunno, I should probably give up on this because we basically have 0 in common, aside that we both go to the same university and have all our classes together. I can't even tell if she likes me or not, and I suspect she doesn't really like me as more than a casual acquaintance.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I have edited your post to remove the part where you talk yourself out of doing the thing you want.

You should follow my example!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh

That sounds like good news and progress forward.

• Options
    edited January 2014

You're thinking 5.56.

Once you hit that caliber of weaponry people start getting a little chunky from time to time. [/quote]
    7.62 is pretty scary in person, but not practical for a military since it's bigger, heavier, and you can carry less of it. Modern automatics were developed on the observation from WW2 that the winner of a given firefight was whoever could put more rounds in the general direction of the enemy, since pin-point shooting is out of the question in a big firefight and it's all about suppression mostly.

This has led to divergent ideas though, since the US's problem with firearms has been that they're unwilling to abandon marksmanship as a quality, but tighter tolerances mean it's way less forgiving of dirt and you know, the various things which happen in an actual war.

It's a bit of a classic argument. Do you want to go for a few highly trained specialist or a larger number of less disciplined troops.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    For the last month I've been constantly having that "remember something stupid you did and immediately start planning suicide to avoid shame" thing. It is really annoying. Less of that bullshit please, life.

Clearly I need to drink more heavily and destroy my last vestiges of memory

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

I had the same problem.

You're thinking 5.56.

man that was the problem with the SA80

fantastic gun on paper, super accurate and shorter than an M4

just don't take it any place there's sand
    or dirt
    or water

just don't take it outside really and you'll be fine

• Options
    I dunno, I should probably give up on this because we basically have 0 in common, aside that we both go to the same university and have all our classes together. I can't even tell if she likes me or not, and I suspect she doesn't really like me as more than a casual acquaintance.

You haven't even talked to her. There's nothing to give up on. This lengthy trek up the mountainside you're thinking of quitting is the perilous climb to the peak of saying hi.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

That's a strange definition of zero.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

The biggest secret to success is treating them like a person.

Because they are.

Introduce yourself, ask their name, ask about them, move on if it appears it's awkward. It helps to know a little bit about them before you do a cold introduction in a public setting though. Knowing their routine or likes/dislikes so you can suggest a thing to get to know them better, even as a friend.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Omg my quote trees

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    How do you know that you have nothing in common if you've never talked to her? Heck, if those classes include electives and/or major requirements, then you've got some evidence that you're both interested in some of the same stuff.You have no grounds for that suspicion, dude. Just do itTM.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Ugh, have to go to a meeting later to discuss ways to stop the Chinese terrorist threat (Plagiarizing).
    I'm going to recommend thermonuclear war.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Perhaps I could interest you in this clone of yourself.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Have you tried being drunk.

Because that's worked wonders for me.

irt: dating the ladies

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »

You haven't even talked to her. There's nothing to give up on. This lengthy trek up the mountainside you're thinking of quitting is the perilous climb to the peak of saying hi.

I talk to her! Nearly every day! But conversations don't last very long or get very in-depth...

It's usually just "Hey, how are you today, did anything nice during the week-end?"

I asked if she wanted to grab a coffee some time back and she said no and, like, the impression I got is that she's probably not super into me.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    For the last month I've been constantly having that "remember something stupid you did and immediately start planning suicide to avoid shame" thing. It is really annoying. Less of that bullshit please, life.

Clearly I need to drink more heavily and destroy my last vestiges of memory

Read an article once about a woman that, whenever she remembered something, also re-experienced all the emotions she originally felt. Those emotions never faded with time like they do for others.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    For the last month I've been constantly having that "remember something stupid you did and immediately start planning suicide to avoid shame" thing.

Just remembering apropos of nothing at all that you once did that and have no more right to live on God's green Earth than a weasel can be a disorienting experience.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

most modern rifle bullets are designed to tumble and fragment. this isn't just an AK-47 thing

then again it's not something that people should really wring their hands about because most gun crime in the US is committed with handguns

on the other hand most modern handgun bullets (hollow point) are designed to expand (diameter) on impact and then subsequently shred tissue so i dont know what to tell you

919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.