As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3] 2014 - Games games and more games!

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if the Smash Bros tourney will be viewable anyway live on the Wii U? I'd love to watch on the living room TV...

And are they seriously having it hosted by Geoff Keighley? Isn't he the guy that always treats Reggie like crud during interviews?

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Does anyone know if the Smash Bros tourney will be viewable anyway live on the Wii U? I'd love to watch on the living room TV...

And are they seriously having it hosted by Geoff Keighley? Isn't he the guy that always treats Reggie like crud during interviews?

Twitch and Youtube work on the Wii U, so yeah. I'm gonna watch it like that too.

Keighley hosting it bugs me as well, but hopefully we'll just see him at the start and the end of it.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    The last time Reggie and Keighley were together I'm pretty sure Reggie was ready to choke him. Didn't he even say this was the last time they would do anything with him?

Keighley is very well known for being tough on Nintendo and going at Reggie, which is the only time I've ever seen him try to be "tough".

Everyone else he tends to tow the line and basically advertise for them.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Quical wrote: »
    Just finished the press conferences. Ubisoft's was GREAT but so much swearing!
    Microsoft was fine?
    Sony knocked it out of the park for the first half and then got boring. No last guardian so i guess that game really is dead. There is NO WAY that it isn't ready to show now. I'm sorry but if it's STILL not ready then your studio has FUCKED. UP.
    Batman's city looks like a convoluted mess that I have no interest in playing in. Everything else looked pretty cool. Little big planet 3 looked way too early in development for a game that's releasing in November, is it being made by media molecule?

Roll on Nintendo!

Or they are a Japanese company and decided to save some of their big names for the Tokyo Game Show in order to hype the game in their home country. Its certainly reasonable that they'd want to save some big name reveals for the biggest show in their home country.
    No you don't pass up the chance to show the game that your fans are literally begging for at the biggest show on the planet in favor of showing it at a smaller show. The Last Guardian does not exist.

Which is why they are probably saving it for the Tokyo Game Show. TGS allows general admission into the show. This allows the general public to get in and get their hands on the game, and causes TGS to have a far higher attendance than E3 does. The TGS is basically E3 and PAX wrapped up into one show.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    They didn't hold off on The Last Guardian to show it off at TGS.

They didn't show it because it is either way too early to show off anything substantial or because the game doesn't exist.

Maz- on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

It's not just Reggie. He also treated Angry Joe like crud. He's like that to anyone who's not actively putting dollar bills in his G-string.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »

Twitch and Youtube work on the Wii U, so yeah. I'm gonna watch it like that too.

Keighley hosting it bugs me as well, but hopefully we'll just see him at the start and the end of it.
    I hadn't even thought about the web versions...I knew live content generally doesn't work in youtube apps (like on my roku). I'll give the web sites a shot instead, thanks!

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »

I hadn't even thought about the web versions...I knew live content generally doesn't work in youtube apps (like on my roku). I'll give the web sites a shot instead, thanks!

Oh, I don't know about Youtube then. Twitch should definitely work though.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I'm really interested in hearing about the behind-the-scenes business side of this Grim Fandango deal. The game has always been the sort of IP that was widely accepted as untouchable; I believe Tim Schafer has pretty much been saying as much for the past 10 years when people ask him to do something with it. It sounds like yet another miracle sprung forth from the sale of Star Wars/Lucas Arts, but I wonder how the ball got rolling, who approached whom, who I have to send thank you letters to over at Disney, etc.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm really interested in hearing about the behind-the-scenes business side of this Grim Fandango deal. The game has always been the sort of IP that was widely accepted as untouchable; I believe Tim Schafer has pretty much been saying as much for the past 10 years when people ask him to do something with it. It sounds like yet another miracle sprung forth from the sale of Star Wars/Lucas Arts, but I wonder how the ball got rolling, who approached whom, who I have to send thank you letters to over at Disney, etc.

Walt is cryogenically frozen, right?

I heard they thaw him out for 3 days a year to deal with tricky situations like this.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    The fact that Keighly and the people on his show seemed to think that Microsoft did an amazing job and Sony's was meh proves that they are dumb.

I mean, Microsoft did a GOOD job, but not better than Sony.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Well, Disney is all about getting money from their IP by licensing it out to approved partners. Lucasarts had their own internal studios and were reticent to retread some their past as they tried to "refocus" on Star Wars etc.
    Disney buying Lucasarts is a great scenario, as if there's money to be made, they will not hesitate to revive any of the franchises. I'm guessing this is where the change came about, as there may have been some salty execs at Lucasarts that had a big "if Tim Schaefer then NO" sign in their office.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    The fact that Keighly and the people on his show seemed to think that Microsoft did an amazing job and Sony's was meh proves that they are dumb.

It's all just opinions. If you liked Microsoft's games better, then you'll think Microsoft did a better job since that's all they did. Sony had a stupendously boring middle act, but showed more games I was personally interested in, so to me they had a better show, but Microsoft had a strong showing as well.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Haven't been able to keep up with all this as its been going on outside of dropping into this thread to see you guys react to everything. A Platinum exclusive for the XB1 makes me sad, because that is not the next gen system that I own. I can't say right now if its enough to get me to buy a XB1, but it does get my attention.

The Wonderful 101 was enough for me to buy a Wii U, but I was going to get a Wii U eventually anyway. If Platinums game turns out to be pretty spectacular, it combined with Phantom Dust, and a Kinectless bundle will probably move the XB1 from a "not necessary" box to a "eventually" box.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    E3 starts today for me. Neither MS or Sony's conferences contained much of interest to me, so here's hoping Nintendo can knock it out of the park.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Still firmly in the Sony corner, but dang did Microsoft have a good show. Gamesgamesgames is what I want from an E3 conference, and the boring middle act of Sony's was. Eh.

Order: Gears of Werewolves showed stuff I didn't know it had, way more interested in it now. No Man's Sky so pretty. MGSV WHOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Also Entwined.

That whole "it's available now, go get it" thing they pulled was smooth. It is my dream for the Half Life 3 announcement to include a similar "HL2:Episode Three is available now go go go!" thing.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Keighley is entitled to his own opinion - but I just have a hard time understanding him as a host of a Nintendo event. I mean, the guy comes off as a bit of an arrogant jerk whenever I've watched him, and he seems to embody the type of gamer that really just doesn't like the majority of Nintendo's offerings. Is he going to crap on Nintendo this morning only to pretend to sing their praises this evening? I think I would have found someone else.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    All I know is we're getting another star wars battlefront and that means I can play a shooter again

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Haven't been able to keep up with all this as its been going on outside of dropping into this thread to see you guys react to everything. A Platinum exclusive for the XB1 makes me sad, because that is not the next gen system that I own. I can't say right now if its enough to get me to buy a XB1, but it does get my attention.

The Wonderful 101 was enough for me to buy a Wii U, but I was going to get a Wii U eventually anyway. If Platinums game turns out to be pretty spectacular, it combined with Phantom Dust, and a Kinectless bundle will probably move the XB1 from a "not necessary" box to a "eventually" box.

Yeah, Microsoft, for the first time in forever, actually had some stuff I was remotely interested in. Of course, what I have little faith in is that these games will STAY exclusive. I'm holding out on Scaleborn being ported to PC a year after release.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    What's Shaolin Monks 2 Netherrealm

• Options
    Oh I would love it if Scaleborn lost its exclusivity before the XB1 has another price drop, then I won't have to buy one at all.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That Rainbow 6 video was pretty cool, but I really hate these fake ass "conversations between the players" that Ubisoft keeps jamming in their trailers. It's just so lame and phoney. They did the same thing on that one Division trailer.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I hope Zelda U is a side-scroller.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Watch Nintendo's Zelda U announcement be one piece of concept art of the new sidekick that will inanely follow Link around this time.

• Options
    Watch Nintendo's Zelda U announcement be one piece of concept art of the new sidekick that will inanely follow Link around this time.

In 2D.

• Options
    Ha, that's what they should do: Remake Zelda, Zelda II, and ALttP and add a fairy companion to each one.

The beginning of the Nintendo conference should be no one on stage and suddenly "Hey, Listen!" on the screen.

• Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    I avoid these discussions, because there's usually the spectre of fanboyism looming over them, so I'll just disclaim that I don't own a next gen console, liked my solitary 360 very much and disliked my few PS3 experiences.

Sony just manages to excite me about games, since last E3. In general, neither conference hooked me, but Sony's The Order, Bloodborne and MGS, amongst other things, maybe, at least had style. Order and Bloodborne sort of had this by now derivative moody style, but had interesting things to pull that around. Sunset Overdrive I really hoped I could like, the animation and voice acting were spot on, but the gameplay lost me entirely. But overall, I like the... "vibe" Sony had more (sans TV lull, but I skipped through most of it), Microsoft really made me feel how rote it was and how they were tiptoeing across eggshells. None of which is any reason that should inform your purchasing decision.

All told, though, this E3 was just... your inchoate next gen E3. Almost nothing concrete, and certainly nothing concrete which is also new. I learned that both consoles will be able to keep you busy as a gamer. ... That's like saying that water'll quench your thirst, though.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm really hoping for something in the way of Twilight Princess in design, that just looks absolutely stunning, and a large overworld where "large" doesn't mean annoyingly vast empty spaces that I get bored riding back and forth across.

Viskod on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2014
    I'm really hoping for something in the way of Twilight Princess in design, that just looks absolutely stunning, and a large overworld where "large" doesn't mean annoyingly vast empty spaces that I get bored riding back and forth across.

That may be way outside the scope of what Nintendo can do.

It isn't to say that Nintendo lacks AAA capabilities, but large overworlds with lots of stuff to do generally involves staffing hundreds of worker bees and developers for a single project... Something Ubi and Rockstar are known to do, but not really how I think of Nintendo's dev cycle.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah the overworld is really a means to get to the next dungeon.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Unless we're talking about Skyward Sword, where the overworld was densely packed with stuff to do and almost like a dungeon itself.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

It's all just opinions. If you liked Microsoft's games better, then you'll think Microsoft did a better job since that's all they did. Sony had a stupendously boring middle act, but showed more games I was personally interested in, so to me they had a better show, but Microsoft had a strong showing as well.

Agreed, though their opinions may be taking into account MS's disastrous showing at last year's E3, which was pretty much the polar opposite of yesterday's showing. In that context it was a pretty amazing show - a complete reversal of their boilerplate conference, eschewing the typical sports, Kinectathon and television-centric content that usually chokes up 80% of their time. This was just a rapid-fire display of games, games, games, which I thought was fantastic.

But that said, Sony's was absolutely the show-stealer of the day because they managed to match MS for the number of games but then added a number of reveals like PS TV and more PS Now details and a megaton like Grim Fandango. On the downside they did go into a bit of a long-winded 'here's how great we are' shpiel with the new President of SCEA, but I suppose that's to be expected.

Overall though, great showings from both companies.

• Options

That's the problem.

• Options
    Do we have a list of "shit that was announced" built yet? I remember being excited by stuff at the MS and Sony conference but I'll be damned if I remember what... Haha.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So i watched sony's last night, skimmed through the highlights of microsofts presentation. For the most part dont give a shit about EA's (No dead space 4...not interested).

Sony's presentation was great, but it kinda was planned poorly. It started out great but got really slow at the end. I think they would have kept the energy up more if they interspaced the cool shit with the non-gaming bits.

A little dissapointed we didnt see anything from TLG, but looked at logically: 1) The game exists even if just as a tech demo that we have seen images from. 2) since we know so little about it, its kind of hard to really feel cheated...Yes its team ico and maybe thats enough to generate hype but it will probably get made in time. 3) MS had some nice looking stuff, but at this point thats all it is. So far a lot of the 'blockbuster' games (Like watchdogs) have garnered only average to slightly above average reviews. Nintendo has more 9/10 games in its stable right now then Xbox and PS4 combined so dispite even that being a low number MS and sony are almost in the same position as nintendos Wii U was in terms of games at this point in there life. (Xbox even less so since its had 2 price drops already).

looking forward to the nintendo stuff. When are they going to have there online conference?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    BpuSLgXCIAYMK2L.jpg:large

Dreadnought by Yager. F2P.

• Options

That's the problem.

Agreed. I think they can easily fix the overworld without too much effort (in my opinion). They have plenty of time.

• Options
    Maybe it's an unfair bias on my part, but "Free 2 Play" basically means "I Won't Play."

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    As a PS4 owner:

Sunset Overdrive and Crackdown are like "DAMMIT! I wish I had that!"
    DMC+Dragons by Platinum is "Stay Still My Heart! Hide the wallet! I can't afford a One yet! Must stay strong! Must stay strong! Must stay strong! Must not give in! FFFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this hurts!"

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    At risk of sounding like a fanboy:

SonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySonySony

Sony.

But seriously, I own all three so I want all three to succeed.

This discussion has been closed.