As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3] 2014 - Games games and more games!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Maybe it's an unfair bias on my part, but "Free 2 Play" basically means "I Won't Play."

There are good versions of F2P.

League of Legends. DOTA2. Planetside 2.

...and that's about it.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Loadout is a great Free to Play game and if you have a PS4 you should play it when it comes out.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I wish I could understand what people see in Sunset Overdrive.

It looks pretty, but it also looks so booooooooooooooooooring

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    BpuSLgXCIAYMK2L.jpg:large

Dreadnought by Yager. F2P.

Holy shit, it's Yager by Yager!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Sony won the minute that the name "Hidetaka Miyazaki" showed up on the screen.
    No Man's Sky and everything else were just icing on the cake.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    As a PS4 owner:

Sunset Overdrive and Crackdown are like "DAMMIT! I wish I had that!"
    DMC+Dragons by Platinum is "Stay Still My Heart! Hide the wallet! I can't afford a One yet! Must stay strong! Must stay strong! Must stay strong! Must not give in! FFFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this hurts!"

fortunately for you only Sunset Overdrive is due out this year. Scalebound is next year, and i wouldn't be surprised if Crackdown is a 2016 title(was there a date in the trailer? i can't remember). so still some time to save up for that Xbone.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Especially in a post-Saints Row 4 world, it's hard to get excited about 'move anywhere quickly and easily while shooting wacky guns at wacky monsters'. For those who dig it though, I hope it's fun for you.

• Options

Zombies: Check
    Traps: Check
    Fast Paced: Check
    Co-op: Check

That's all I need to get hyped! :)

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Kinda confused at bloodborn introduction being completely a CGI introduction when the leaked gameplay videos have been out a few weeks now. I want it sure, but if i hadnt seen the leaked stuff, I think i would have been kinda meh about the intro.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Maybe it's an unfair bias on my part, but "Free 2 Play" basically means "I Won't Play."

...and that's about it.

I was exaggerating a bit. I did play Kingdom of Loathing for a long time.

I also spent a lot of money on Kingdom of Loathing, far more than on many other games, which kind of leads me to why I avoid them. Nothing bad to say about KoL, though. I loved it and would still love it if I had the time to invest in maintaining competitive.

That said, and I don't begrudge anyone their hobby, but all I ever hear about LoL is angst. Utter, self-destructive hatred for either themselves or others. Or sometimes both.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Is it strange that I have no desire or interest in The Last Guardian?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I haven't bought a next gen system, mainly because I was waiting for this E3, to see more of what the future would bring. That said, I was always leaning towards the PS4 (I'm one of those weirdos that enjoys my ps3 more than my 360).

After the conferences, I'm cemented on getting a PS4. I really, really want to play Sunset Overdrive (that game just looks like goofy fun and really reminds me of JSR) and Phantom Dust, but Sony just has so many different games and styles. Sure a lot of them are timed exclusives or multi platforms, but they seem to be the lead this gen, so they'll be slightly better.

Also, slightly subjective, but I feel like MS throws indies out because that's what they think people want while Sony seems to believe more in those games. Probably just shows how strong their messaging has been.

• Options

I literally had no idea who that guy was. I see that he worked on Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2 so I guess that makes sense as to why I haven't heard from him.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »
    BpuSLgXCIAYMK2L.jpg:large

Dreadnought by Yager. F2P.

Holy shit, it's Yager by Yager!

Yager II would be one of my dream sequels. I take Dreadnought gladly though.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Yeah the overworld is really a means to get to the next dungeon.

That's the problem.

Agreed. I think they can easily fix the overworld without too much effort (in my opinion). They have plenty of time.

Easily. It doesn't have to be huge or vast it just needs to have a ton of stuff to do, if you don't particularly want to head to the next dungeon but just run around awhile.

It needs to be a veritable playground for all the toys you get in the dungeons. Using the items to get through a dungeon is fun, but I always enjoyed using them in different ways to find hidden places in the overworld and traverse old areas in new ways to get to new places.

For example,

They can still have a big pretty Hyrule Field to ride Epona through, it doesn't have to be crammed with rock formations and ruins and stuff.

They could easily counter a wide open field with a couple of places you use items to get into a network of caves underneath their big expansive field, and down there is where you could have your item playground for that area that you can traverse a little further the more items you have, and more items lets you access this area from different points in the field, so you're not always going through the same way and just running a few feet further down the same path again each time you get a new item.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

...and that's about it.

I like Marvel Heroes as well - entirely F2P unless you really want other characters or more storage.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    PS vita tv in us?

Day. GOD. DAMNED. ONE.

So many jrpgs.......

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    I wish I could understand what people see in Sunset Overdrive Metal Gear Solid 5.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    PS vita tv in us?

Day. GOD. DAMNED. ONE.

So many jrpgs.......

You just want to touch witches don't you....

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Quical wrote: »
    Just finished the press conferences. Ubisoft's was GREAT but so much swearing!
    Microsoft was fine?
    Sony knocked it out of the park for the first half and then got boring. No last guardian so i guess that game really is dead. There is NO WAY that it isn't ready to show now. I'm sorry but if it's STILL not ready then your studio has FUCKED. UP.
    Batman's city looks like a convoluted mess that I have no interest in playing in. Everything else looked pretty cool. Little big planet 3 looked way too early in development for a game that's releasing in November, is it being made by media molecule?

Roll on Nintendo!

Or they are a Japanese company and decided to save some of their big names for the Tokyo Game Show in order to hype the game in their home country. Its certainly reasonable that they'd want to save some big name reveals for the biggest show in their home country.

Any one else remember that hoopla about some publisher, I think it was Ubi, who signed a deal with some Developer Guy, where Ubi got to keep the IP as long as a game (based on that IP) *was in development'. And if they stopped development, the IP would be handed over to the Developer Guy.

And since Ubi
    a) didn't want to loose an IP they may (or may not) do something with some day, and
    b) didn't want the competition to get the IP,
    Ubi made sure that technically a game was in development ... but not really.
    (Not that they'd throw an entire dev. studio at the game. More like a R&D team.)

Or did I dream that?

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Quical wrote: »
    Just finished the press conferences. Ubisoft's was GREAT but so much swearing!
    Microsoft was fine?
    Sony knocked it out of the park for the first half and then got boring. No last guardian so i guess that game really is dead. There is NO WAY that it isn't ready to show now. I'm sorry but if it's STILL not ready then your studio has FUCKED. UP.
    Batman's city looks like a convoluted mess that I have no interest in playing in. Everything else looked pretty cool. Little big planet 3 looked way too early in development for a game that's releasing in November, is it being made by media molecule?

Roll on Nintendo!

Or they are a Japanese company and decided to save some of their big names for the Tokyo Game Show in order to hype the game in their home country. Its certainly reasonable that they'd want to save some big name reveals for the biggest show in their home country.

Any one else remember that hoopla about some publisher, I think it was Ubi, who signed a deal with some Developer Guy, where Ubi got to keep the IP as long as a game (based on that IP) *was in development'. And if they stopped development, the IP would be handed over to the Developer Guy.

And since Ubi
    a) didn't want to loose an IP they may (or may not) do something with some day, and
    b) didn't want the competition to get the IP,
    Ubi made sure that technically a game was in development ... but not really.
    (Not that they'd throw an entire dev. studio at the game. More like a R&D team.)

Or did I dream that?

Nope, happened to Patrice.

• Options
    edited June 2014

I literally had no idea who that guy was. I see that he worked on Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2 so I guess that makes sense as to why I haven't heard from him.

He is THE MAN behind Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. He didn't work on Dark Souls 2.... that was an entirely different team.

The Project Beast leaks basically showed it was Demon's Souls + Guns.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    azith28 wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    PS vita tv in us?

Day. GOD. DAMNED. ONE.

So many jrpgs.......

You just want to touch witches don't you....

Disgaea 3 and 4. Wait..... dragon crown? Dragon crown?!?!?!

(i didnt dont own a vita or a ps3/4) this is a cheap way for me to dabble!

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Vita TV is also suppose to work as a streaming device for all the usual services right?

Might be worth it (I already got a Vita)

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Vita TV is also suppose to work as a streaming device for all the usual services right?

yeah thats kinda the point.

• Options
    I wish I could understand what people see in Sunset Overdrive Metal Gear Solid 5.

yeah, Ground Zeros did nothing for me and i feel like Kojima's more creative flourishes work better when he's restrained. the MGS series just seems to be getting bigger and bigger, and weirder and weirder and not in a fun way.

hopefully after this one he'll finally be allowed to work on something new.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Loadout is a great Free to Play game and if you have a PS4 you should play it when it comes out.

I'm definitely going to play the shit outta Loadout on PS4! I just hope it comes out soon.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Wait, I missed that PS Vita TV for the US?

This is the thing what will like, let me play my Vita games on my TV?

Like I can play Persona 4 Golden on my TV? I would buy it just for that, and nothing else.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Wraith260 wrote: »

yeah, Ground Zeros did nothing for me and i feel like Kojima's more creative flourishes work better when he's restrained. the MGS series just seems to be getting bigger and bigger, and weirder and weirder and not in a fun way.

he's are heading face first into the same wall final fantasy hit.

just because "you can" does not make it fun or good.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Wait, I missed that PS Vita TV for the US?

This is the thing what will like, let me play my Vita games on my TV?

Like I can play Persona 4 Golden on my TV? I would buy it just for that, and nothing else.

Yes I will drop $99 so fast if this is the case.

• Options

It's literally a Vita, except it hooks to your TV instead. And it should work with all Vita games that don't have a heavy Touch component (games have to get patched to work with it if they require Touch controls).

For $99 you get most of the Vita library (Full games and TONS AND TONS of Indies, the most this side of Steam) + 90% of the PSP library (everything on the PSN and that's compatible) + 90% of the PS1 Classics on the PSN store + all the Streaming services that are on Vita + Remote Play to PS4/PS3 + Playstation Now.

It's a fucking steal. I'll be getting one and I already own a Vita... just for that TV + PS4 controller play.

• Options

Never. He's basically Big Boss and one day he will be cloned and his clones will make Metal Gear Solid games and one clone will make them exclusively for Xbox and the other clone will make them exclusively for PS4 and the less popular clone will cry and try to defeat the more popular clone on the open market and will fail and eventually maybe we'll get Metal Gear Ac!d 3 even though that was non-canon and had nothing to do with Kojima but still I fucking want that game OK?

• Options

It's literally a Vita, except it hooks to your TV instead. And it should work with all Vita games that don't have a heavy Touch component (games have to get patched to work with it if they require Touch controls).

For $99 you get most of the Vita library (Full games and TONS AND TONS of Indies, the most this side of Steam) + 90% of the PSP library (everything on the PSN and that's compatible) + 90% of the PS1 Classics on the PSN store + all the Streaming services that are on Vita + Remote Play to PS4/PS3 + Playstation Now.

It's a fucking steal. I'll be getting one and I already own a Vita... just for that TV + PS4 controller play.

Just a word of caution: Xenobores of Gore said that his friend has one and I guess it's not 100% compatible with what the Vita handheld can play?

Not sure I understand that but OK.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Seriously.

If you cant look at the pstv and go 'god damn that at the very least is a poop ton of value for your doller' - you are a butt. You suffer from buttz disorder.

A fully featured fast roku is $99. So i could have an also fast streaming device AND all that other stuff for the same d'oh? hell yes sony.

mojojoeo on
  • Options

Never. He's basically Big Boss and one day he will be cloned and his clones will make Metal Gear Solid games and one clone will make them exclusively for Xbox and the other clone will make them exclusively for PS4 and the less popular clone will cry and try to defeat the more popular clone on the open market and will fail and eventually maybe we'll get Metal Gear Ac!d 3 even though that was non-canon and had nothing to do with Kojima but still I fucking want that game OK?

does that mean we'll get a weird fake out of a MGS game and a MGS game on rocket skates?

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited June 2014

Just a word of caution: Xenobores of Gore said that his friend has one and I guess it's not 100% compatible with what the Vita handheld can play?

It's primarily games that require the touch screen, microphone, and/or gyroscope that won't work. There may be others though, I'm not sure.

Is there a complete list of incompatible games somewhere?

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    Emperor_Z wrote: »

It's primarily games that require the touch screen, microphone, and/or gyroscope that won't work. There may be others though, I'm not sure.

hopefully they can patch in DS4 compatibility to take care of those issues.

• Options

It's because a lot of games have Touch controls for stuff. Games based around Touch or Gyro controls won't play on the Playstation TV/Vita TV. Other games that only have minimal touch controls have to get patched. Games were touch controls are just alternate menu controls will work fine out of the box. Remember that the Vita's front screen is touch (pretty much EVERY vita game at least uses it as an option for menus and some use it for gameplay components) besides having the back touch pad (which only some games use) and gyro (again, which only some games use, and usually as an alternate aiming method for scoped shooting).

The reason why it took so long was most likely to get the compatibility list of Vita games up.

• Options
    Emperor_Z wrote: »

hopefully they can patch in DS4 compatibility to take care of those issues.

Hopefully yes.

• Options
    I think I'm crazy, because I can't picture wanting to play a lot of the Vita games on my tv.

I been playing a lot of PixelJunk Shooter on my Vita and love it more than I did on my PS3. It's just so easy to lay in bed and get a level or two before bed.

Still, $99 bucks for a capable streaming device is a good buy.

This discussion has been closed.