As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3] 2014 - Games games and more games!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I wanna stay up for Konami but uggggggh 3 hoursssssss...

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really some people would stop diving the stage to defend poor Nintendo and think for more than two seconds. Companies are not expecting the Wii U to outsell the combined sales of their competitors: they are comparing the sales of the PS4 and One to where the Wii U was at the same point in its lifespan, and the result is a little skull & crossbones yelling DO NOT WASTE MONEY HERE.

When a console has been flatlining for most of its life, you do not think that's a good bucket to throw money in. You wait and see if it'll get out of the gutter.

Now you might say "But Rorus, it won't get out of the gutter without third party support!" Well, it's not Ubisoft's responsibility to save floundering hardware. They want to make money, and Nintendo did not create hardware that created such an evironment for that. Enjoy the trickle of first party titles and hope Nintendo wises up with the next generation. If the Wii U bounces back then it'll be a pleasant surprise.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I really some people would stop diving the stage to defend poor Nintendo and think for more than two seconds. Companies are not expecting the Wii U to outsell the combined sales of their competitors: they are comparing the sales of the PS4 and One to where the Wii U was at the same point in its lifespan, and the result is a little skull & crossbones yelling DO NOT WASTE MONEY HERE.

When a console has been flatlining for most of its life, you do not think that's a good bucket to throw money in. You wait and see if it'll get out of the gutter.

Now you might say "But Rorus, it won't get out of the gutter without third party support!" Well, it's not Ubisoft's responsibility to save floundering hardware. They want to make money, and Nintendo did not create hardware that created such an evironment for that. Enjoy the trickle of first party titles and hope Nintendo wises up with the next generation. If the Wii U bounces back then it'll be a pleasant surprise.

The game in question is already finished though, so it likely wouldn't be all that expensive to release it at this point.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Just finished the press conferences. Ubisoft's was GREAT but so much swearing!
    Microsoft was fine?
    Sony knocked it out of the park for the first half and then got boring. No last guardian so i guess that game really is dead. There is NO WAY that it isn't ready to show now. I'm sorry but if it's STILL not ready then your studio has FUCKED. UP.
    Batman's city looks like a convoluted mess that I have no interest in playing in. Everything else looked pretty cool. Little big planet 3 looked way too early in development for a game that's releasing in November, is it being made by media molecule?

Roll on Nintendo!

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ad campaigns, printing discs, and all that can add up. It's falling prey to sunk cost fallacy to just go ahead and push it out the door since the game is already done,

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Any I missed for either platform?

Also, neither Ubisoft of EA had anything to say about the Wii U.

There is a Gears of War in development. Also Quantum Break.

While that's true, I'm purely look at what was discussed in the keynotes.

Both had a flyby during intro-outdo videos, of either logos or brief footage.

Both are 2015 at least though...

Yeah, Gears of War probably only started production back in February, since the acquisition of the IP was made at the very end of January.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come out until 2016, to tell you the truth.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come out until 2017. They're basically starting from scratch, so unless they rush things, it'll probably be a while.
    No offense to peoples hanging theirs acts on them steam machines...

But if this is an example of what is to come, this concept needs another couple years in the oven. These machines, for 150 more than the competition, will play games significantly worse in the years to come.

It's not a Steam Machine, it's a Windows Machine. If SteamOS had been released this year like it was meant to, they wouldn't have been forced to include Windows and pay the Windows license, which would've freed up some money to include some better hardware. I still highly doubt it would've matched the current consoles but it would've been closer.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Rockstar just announced GTA V on XB1, PS4, and PC. Quoted as saying, "It literally prints money!"

• Options
    EmbassyEmbassy Captain CanadaRegistered User regular
    Embassy wrote: »
    BINGO :-D

h5xioapn63m8.jpg

I thought I would have to wait for at least the Nintendo show to actually get a bingo. But DAMN.

To be fair I cheated a little. It was a Ratchet & Clank movie trailer (or I guess the mention of the Halo show). And TBH I forgot Jack Tretton wasn't going to be there but the numbers talk still showed up. Halo 5 seems like the main character is "YOU!" so yes, it can be a girl or black guy :) And some of the things that happened at the Sony conference I thought would happen at the MS one, and vice versa.

I'm pretty sure Master Chief is the main character in Halo 5, given they're putting out "The Master Chief Collection" as a lead-up to it. :P

No I think it's this guy/girl/black guy/YOU: halo-5-new-character.jpg

I think the goal is to FIND Master Chief or something

Add me on Wii U! NNID: DJEmbassy
    Add me on 3DS! 3351-4071-0684
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I'm pretty sure they called that guy a supporting character. He's going to be used as the framing device for the Master Chief collection or something.

EDIT: Also, he's apparently a dude (i.e. male) named Locke: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Locke

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    No offense to peoples hanging theirs acts on them steam machines...

But if this is an example of what is to come, this concept needs another couple years in the oven. These machines, for 150 more than the competition, will play games significantly worse in the years to come.

It's not a Steam Machine, it's a Windows Machine. If SteamOS had been released this year like it was meant to, they wouldn't have been forced to include Windows and pay the Windows license, which would've freed up some money to include some better hardware. I still highly doubt it would've matched the current consoles but it would've been closer.

Its also Alienware, whom are pretty much always overpriced.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Sony knocked it out of the park.

I have tremendous faith in Nintendo, but they'd have to bring some pretty major announcements to even think about competing for first. Second won't be too hard, but first doesn't seem possible.

Also, while no WiiU titles was to be expected, the fact that not a single 3DS game was shown is baffling.

• Options
    Ad campaigns, printing discs, and all that can add up. It's falling prey to sunk cost fallacy to just go ahead and push it out the door since the game is already done,

Of course it's still gonna cost some money to get it into customer's hands, but actually making the game must've been the biggest cost factor.
    Plus, if it's a digital-only title it'd be even cheaper.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

I have tremendous faith in Nintendo, but they'd have to bring some pretty major announcements to even think about competing for first. Second won't be too hard, but first doesn't seem possible.

Also, while no WiiU titles was to be expected, the fact that not a single 3DS game was shown is baffling.

You expected 3DS titles from EA and Ubisoft?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

From Sega yes.....
    But the other two are in the maybe category
    I really am curious what is coming to the 3ds that is not being shown in the 3ds thread

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

From Sega yes.....
    But the other two are in the maybe category
    I really am curious what is coming to the 3ds that is not being shown in the 3ds thread

Sega's got that Sonic game.

There's plenty of support for the 3DS - first party, second party (Japanese and western), third party (Japanese), indies (especially western) - it's just that AAA western studios are barely doing anything with it.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Sony's conference started out so well and then they just outright dropped the ball.

Minding, it's only so noticeable given how incredibly good their conference was in general.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    That whole Power thing was just... odd. Their pacing was strange, but it still had a lot of game things going on.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2014

If X gets a release date this year, they win.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Sony's presser was LONG. Arstechnica liveblogged that it felt like running a marathon. It started and ended well. Very well, I think. I personally lost my shit at Grim Fandango.

That middle section, though. I literally Facepalmed during the Powers segment. Also, apparently the internet as a whole doesn't know that PlayStation TV is actually a Vita. I'm seeing a lot of comments about it being an actual television, which boggles the mind. Or something like a Roku box or Tivo? Really?

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014

If X gets a release date this year, they win.

It probably will. The very, very end of this year, mind you, but I'm pretty sure it's being released in 2014.

Maz- on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I haven't really been keeping track due to being busy packing and stuff, soooo... can anyone tell me if there has been anything of interest shown for 3DS yet? Right now I'm only really an owner of a PC and a 3DS, and I don't really expect a lot of interest for PC to appear in E3.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Sony's presser was LONG. Arstechnica liveblogged that it felt like running a marathon. It started and ended well. Very well, I think. I personally lost my shit at Grim Fandango.

That middle section, though. I literally Facepalmed during the Powers segment. Also, apparently the internet as a whole doesn't know that PlayStation TV is actually a Vita. I'm seeing a lot of comments about it being an actual television, which boggles the mind. Or something like a Roku box or Tivo? Really?

I was the only one in the theater who cheered when Bendis came on. :(

The Powers stuff was boring, but knowing that PS+ subscribers get to watch the whole thing for free was pretty great. I might check out the comic too.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

I was the only one in the theater who cheered when Bendis came on. :(

The Powers stuff was boring, but knowing that PS+ subscribers get to watch the whole thing for free was pretty great. I might check out the comic too.

Hey, what kind of swag did you get for watching the Sony conference in theater?

• Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    I haven't really been keeping track due to being busy packing and stuff, soooo... can anyone tell me if there has been anything of interest shown for 3DS yet? Right now I'm only really an owner of a PC and a 3DS, and I don't really expect a lot of interest for PC to appear in E3.

Nintendo's conference is in 7 hours, expect something then.

They already released some videos for upcoming games on their Youtube channel though: https://www.youtube.com/user/Nintendo/videos

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

Nintendo's conference is in 7 hours, expect something then.

They already released some videos for upcoming games on their Youtube channel though: https://www.youtube.com/user/Nintendo/videos

So, nothing of much value in the previous press conferences, then? I kinda expected Ubi to have SOMETHING 3DS. Well, thank you. I will probably get any buzz about games that were revealed in the Microsoft and Sony conferences that will be coming to PC, sooner or later, but it seems harder to catch up with 3DS and WiiU (since I expect I'm going to end up buying one for Kart 8 and Smash Bros anyway) buzz most of the time, so I wanted to ask.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

I don't blame them. I saw that Playstation TV segment and I had absolutely no idea what the fuck it was.

I was like "I don't understand, what does it do?"

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Just watched the Rainbow Six trailer, looks fucking amazing.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

I'm going to have to second this. While I haven't taken the time to take a good look at what they announced, it's already enough to keep my interest in the console until at least next year's E3, which is a win in my book.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    15 minutes until Konami do whatever the hell they're doing. Probably just more MGSV footage and a PES 2015 announcement.

Edit: Or they won't even do that. What the fuck was the point of that countdown then?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Grim Fandango remaster.

OH MY GOD
    OH MY GOD.

I'm in shock.

Utter utter shock.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I need to know who did this cover of Something in the Way. Because it's fucking good.

Sounds like Placebo

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    This Grim Fandango thing is going to come out on PC, right?
    Right?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    Microsoft was fine?
    Sony knocked it out of the park for the first half and then got boring. No last guardian so i guess that game really is dead. There is NO WAY that it isn't ready to show now. I'm sorry but if it's STILL not ready then your studio has FUCKED. UP.
    Batman's city looks like a convoluted mess that I have no interest in playing in. Everything else looked pretty cool. Little big planet 3 looked way too early in development for a game that's releasing in November, is it being made by media molecule?

Roll on Nintendo!

Or they are a Japanese company and decided to save some of their big names for the Tokyo Game Show in order to hype the game in their home country. Its certainly reasonable that they'd want to save some big name reveals for the biggest show in their home country.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Quical wrote: »
    Microsoft was fine?

Roll on Nintendo!

Or they are a Japanese company and decided to save some of their big names for the Tokyo Game Show in order to hype the game in their home country. Its certainly reasonable that they'd want to save some big name reveals for the biggest show in their home country.
    No you don't pass up the chance to show the game that your fans are literally begging for at the biggest show on the planet in favor of showing it at a smaller show. The Last Guardian does not exist.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    So, Nintendo in 5 hours corresponding with me getting off work and on the bus for a 2 hour commute. I have my Android tablet with me - what are my options for streams? The e3.Nintendo.com link, probably?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    15 minutes until Konami do whatever the hell they're doing. Probably just more MGSV footage and a PES 2015 announcement.

Edit: Or they won't even do that. What the fuck was the point of that countdown then?

What did they do? They only have like four franchises left: MGS, IIDX, Castlevania, and PES.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    This Grim Fandango thing is going to come out on PC, right?
    Right?

I'm hard pressed to imagine it won't be mentioned on the PC soon enough.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So what did Konami show? Did anyone watch it? I can't find any info anywhere...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    KiTA wrote: »
    So, Nintendo in 5 hours corresponding with me getting off work and on the bus for a 2 hour commute. I have my Android tablet with me - what are my options for streams? The e3.Nintendo.com link, probably?

and Nintendo's Youtube channel.

This discussion has been closed.