As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3] 2014 - Games games and more games!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Any I missed for either platform?

Also, neither Ubisoft of EA had anything to say about the Wii U.

There is a Gears of War in development. Also Quantum Break.

While that's true, I'm purely look at what was discussed in the keynotes.

Both had a flyby during intro-outdo videos, of either logos or brief footage.

Both are 2015 at least though...

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Y'know, I think I'll be fine with a PC what plays games, that is what today has told me. I can look at that list of games and say that those are some really cool games but no console exclusives that really compel me to buy consoles, with the possible exception of Bloodborne, and just the stuff I already know is coming out for the Wii U is more exciting for me.

I do want to know more about Scalebound though because dragons are pretty rad.

Scalebound disappoints me because its on the platform I'm least likely to get. And Platinum is an excellent developer. (And a good sense of humor... the callouts in Wonderful 101 were amusing, especially the big one near the end)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EmbassyEmbassy Captain CanadaRegistered User regular

UbiSoft had Just Dance 2015 which was announced as coming to Wii U, and they triple confirmed in other interviews that yes, Watch Dogs is coming. The executives have decided though that Wii U is a casual family console for casual family games, and they have a casual family game already finished intended for Wii U. But they didn't show it off for two reasons:

1. It's hard to transition to in a conference full of F-bombs and #420inthisbitch and
    2. They are waiting to decide whether or not to release this already-finished secret game until after Smash Bros comes out, because they want more families and casuals to own the system before the game comes out. If Smash doesn't smash it out of the park, they may decide to move the game to other consoles instead.

For some reason because it's Nintendo, the Wii U has to outsell the PS4 and XboxOne COMBINED in order to get any attention. Devs are going "Ps4+XboxOne = 11 million consoles, and Wii U only has 6-7million, so it's not worth porting to." Meanwhile 7 of the 10 million are PS4, and the Xbox is sitting at 4million. I suppose that's Nintendo's fault for not using x86 architecture.

Before Watch Dogs even comes out on Wii U I can bet that Ubi has already decided to not bother with Nintendo for WD2, citing 'lack of sales' for the yet-unreleased game (best case scenario 7-month old port of the 360 version).

Add me on Wii U! NNID: DJEmbassy
    Add me on 3DS! 3351-4071-0684
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Also, TLoU themed dungeons in Diablo III with clickers/bloaters is really exciting!

I assume it's just the rifts in adventure mode, and they'll be as rare as cow levels.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I need to go to bed, but im too excited to sleep. It's mainly because of that Batman video. Man, that looked good. Makes the delay hurt that much worse, though...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    it looks likes Sony and Microsoft are neck and neck (if not a slight lead to MS) on showing off exclusive goods.

That's not the usual way of things...

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    EmbassyEmbassy Captain CanadaRegistered User regular
    Too bad we didn't get the dream game we really wanted - Conker levels in Little Big Planet.

Add me on Wii U! NNID: DJEmbassy
    Add me on 3DS! 3351-4071-0684
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Depending on how good the Conker assets are in Projects spark, we may end up with dozens of horrifying high quality sequels.

You can record voice acting, do mocap, and do all sorts of insane shit in project spark. while this is nowhere near as good as getting a real game... The end results of this could be fucking fantastic.

I would love for some of the old rare folks to build a stage or two in-engine and go guns blazing with satire towards the situation of Conker being caught in a game making game.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    I'm pretty happy with how the day went, honestly. Only real dud was EA.

It still seems that I'm way more excited about indie-level stuff as opposed than AAA, but that's not necessarily bad I suppose.

Here is hoping Nintendo matches or surpasses this level tomorrow.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Well, Sony, what about Final Fantasy VII?

So much shit would be lost.

For a brief second.

I pondered this.

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    syndalis wrote: »
    Depending on how good the Conker assets are in Projects spark, we may end up with dozens of horrifying high quality sequels.

You can record voice acting, do mocap, and do all sorts of insane shit in project spark. while this is nowhere near as good as getting a real game... The end results of this could be fucking fantastic.

I would love for some of the old rare folks to build a stage or two in-engine and go guns blazing with satire towards the situation of Conker being caught in a game making game.

I'm pretty sure Rare really is dead, guys. I don't think they've got the chops for a new Conker or Banjo-Kazooie.

Which is a shame, because I would kill for a new Nuts and Bolts.

So yeah, Project Spark may be the best we get in that regard.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

This reminds me, have there been any E3 'recap in a few minutes' thing like there were last year? Those were hilarious.

Sportssportssportssportssportssportssportssportssportssportstvtvtvtvtvtvsportssportssportssportssportssports

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular

I would consider GoW 2016. No need to put it out the same year as Halo 5.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Sagroth wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy with how the day went, honestly. Only real dud was EA.

And EA was a hell of a dud.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    What sites are going to stream Nintendo's presentation? Is it going to be available immediately on the Wii U, or is that after the first airing?

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    So No Man's Sky eh.

#hype

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Steambox from Alienware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpJKiRNERDQ

GT has started to upload plenty of videos to their youtube mirror.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Sagroth wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Rare really is dead, guys. I don't think they've got the chops for a new Conker or Banjo-Kazooie.

Which is a shame, because I would kill for a new Nuts and Bolts.

So yeah, Project Spark may be the best we get in that regard.

Microsoft would have soundly beaten Sony for me if they announced a new Nuts and Bolts.

Killer Instinct worked out so surely there's someone who can do it.

Right?

I just want another Nuts and Bolts.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I came into this thread to get a rundown on today and haven't been following gaming news in a while
    So as far as exclusives I can remember:

Microsoft
    1. Halo Collection(PC?)
    2. Crackdown
    3. Phantom Dust

WHAT?! They are making a new Phantom Dust!?

best news ever

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I came into this thread to get a rundown on today and haven't been following gaming news in a while

Microsoft
    1. Halo Collection(PC?)
    2. Crackdown
    3. Phantom Dust

best news ever

No they are remaking Phantom Dust reports are saying now. It's still great, and makes sense but I was kinda hoping for a sequel.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014

Microsoft
    1. Crackdown
    2. Dead Rising DLC (PC?)
    3. Fable Legends
    4. Forza Horizon 2 (360/Xbone)
    5. Halo Collection (PC?)
    6. Halo 5: Guardians
    7. Ori And The Blind Forest
    8. Phantom Dust
    9. Project Spark (360/Xbone/PC)
    10. Scalebound
    11. Sunset Overdrive

Sony
    1. BloodBorne
    2. Entwined
    3. Grim Fandango HD (PS4/Vita, PC?)
    4. Infamous: First Light (standalone DLC)
    5. The Last of Us Remastered
    6. Let It Die
    7. LittleBigPlanet 3
    8. Magicka 2 (PS4/PC)
    9. No Man's Sky (PC?)
    10. The Order: 1886
    11. Ratchet & Clank
    12. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

The question marks are for games I'm not sure of as far as exclusivity.

Which, being someone with neither console so far and a pretty alright gaming PC, to me I'm still left going uuuuuh as far as which console to get.

God damnit. Microsoft, just start releasing all the Halo stuff on PC so I can buy a PS4 already.

You missed a few so I added all the games I could think of and fixed the lists up a bit. I was going to go through all the indie games each company showed but figured the lists would just become a mess at that point. Safe to say pretty much all of those games will come to PC as well and a number of them will be ported onto the other system at some point.

Uh, did you read his post properly? Gears of War has been in development for like 5 months, there's absolutely no chance of a 2015 release.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Bubby wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    God I hope they're not winding down. They beat MS but not by much, no huge games at all this E3.

What
    I see you've never met bubby

Wtf does that mean I almost never post in GT. Sony wins and a lot of games look cool but no Last Guardian-equivalent news.

Grim Fandango, you fucking philistine.

A fucking remastering of a 15 year old game is not groundbreaking.

No, but No Man's Sky is.

And Grim Fandango is basically unplayable on modern computers, so it's pretty damn cool that it's coming to PS4/Vita since people have been clamoring for something like since pretty much ever.

NMS looks great but it would be completely overshadowed by Last Guardian or big Valve news, which is what I wanted.

If you were expecting big Valve news at the Sony presser then you are officially cray cray.

No, at E3.

His statement still holds true. Valve doesn't really do E3, at least not in the sense of them having any major announcements.

They announced Half-Life 2 at E3.

....no they didn't. They announced it in magazines like EDGE. Here's a press release from April of 2003 (E3 was in May of that year, as far as I know.)
    http://money.cnn.com/2003/04/23/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/

EDIT:
    Darlan wrote: »
    They also announced L4D2 and Portal 2 at E3. I distinctly tendency everyone groaning "too soon".
    Portal 2 was semi-revealed via an ARG, and then revealed in a magazine

More confirmation (I'm not trying to browbeat you, I just wanted to make sure I'm not misremembing things)
    Article about HL2 magazine articles from April 22nd, 2003
    http://www.bluesnews.com/s/41361/half-life-2-hits-the-newsstands
    Article stating E3 2003 was May 14th-16th
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-expo-2003-dates-announced/1100-6023284/

Portal 2 announced May 5th, 2010
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/05/portal-2-confirmed-by-game-informer-cover-due-in-2010/
    E3 2010 was June 15th-17th
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/217006/e3-2010-dates-revealed/

L4D2 was totally announced at E3 though, you're right a bout that. Completely out of the blue, even. :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Microsoft
    1. Halo Collection(PC?)
    2. Crackdown
    3. Phantom Dust

best news ever

No they are remaking Phantom Dust reports are saying now. It's still great, and makes sense but I was kinda hoping for a sequel.

This is less good. Maybe if it sells well they will do lots and lots of awesome DLC.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I heard it was a reboot/remake? So maybe the same story but different in enough ways for it to be fresh? I dunno

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Microsoft
    1. Halo Collection(PC?)
    2. Crackdown
    3. Phantom Dust

best news ever

This is less good. Maybe if it sells well they will do lots and lots of awesome DLC.

The DLC will be new hats for the characters, $5 a pop.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I feel like Microsoft is testing the waters with a few titles. They want to see how a Platinum Studios games sells. They are betting on a few distinct indie titles. They re-established Halo, Conker, Phantom Dust, and Crackdown on the Xbone. Sunset Overdrive looks promising (wonder if Microsoft or Insomniac own this IP?). Of course PS4 has the standard Uncharted - Rachet - LBP, and as many exclusives, so it's almost even.
    I feel pretty happy with the line-up on both sides. Oh, and that DR3 DLC is insanely fun. Hope PC folks get a chance to play it.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Come on man

Come on

This is not a reestablishment of Conker

This is very much a blatant "you make a new Conker game," even if they're self-aware about it

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    They could of gotten a good laugh if they said "Why you can make your own Conker game, we're also making one for you!"

• Options
    Embassy wrote: »
    BINGO :-D

h5xioapn63m8.jpg

I thought I would have to wait for at least the Nintendo show to actually get a bingo. But DAMN.

To be fair I cheated a little. It was a Ratchet & Clank movie trailer (or I guess the mention of the Halo show). And TBH I forgot Jack Tretton wasn't going to be there but the numbers talk still showed up. Halo 5 seems like the main character is "YOU!" so yes, it can be a girl or black guy :) And some of the things that happened at the Sony conference I thought would happen at the MS one, and vice versa.

I'm pretty sure Master Chief is the main character in Halo 5, given they're putting out "The Master Chief Collection" as a lead-up to it. :P

• Options
    edited June 2014

Yeah, Gears of War probably only started production back in February, since the acquisition of the IP was made at the very end of January.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come out until 2016, to tell you the truth.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Come on man

Come on

This is not a reestablishment of Conker

This is very much a blatant "you make a new Conker game," even if they're self-aware about it
    I am not defending that at all, I just think if people now demand that a Conker game be made, you think it won't happen? And how confident are you that it won't just be another HD remake... or something worse. I feel like if anything they were gauging interest in Conker. If they saw an increase in Conker love via Project Spark I think they'd be foolish to not capitalize on it.
    Not to mention that if Project Spark is as deep as it seems to be, there could be some really cool stuff done with it.

But yeah that Jontron video sums up the collective feeling of Rare's death. KI is really fun but they are sitting on Banjo & Kazooie, Conker, Perfect Dark, and feakin' Battletoads. There is much money to be made here dudes!

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    They want to see how a Platinum Studios games sells.

Pretty bad, likely. Such is the curse of Platinum.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    I have never played a Platinum game, though Bayonetta always looked like fun. Figure this is as good a place to start as any.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    If you still have a 360 track down Bayonetta because it's amazing

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Steambox from Alienware.

What the hell goes wrong in Keighley's brain when he's handed the box at around 1:15? All of a sudden he can't stop saying "uh huh" "yep" "right" "okay" nonstop for 10 or 15 seconds.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Steambox from Alienware.

Here's the full specs for that $550 box
    Intel Core i3 Haswell processor
    Custom Nvidia “Maxwell”-based GPU with 2GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory
    500GB SATA 3 HDD
    4GB of 1600MHz memory
    Dual-band Wireless-AC 1x1 with Bluetooth 4.0
    HDMI-out, HDMI-in (with pass-through), Gigabit Ethernet, optical audio out, two USB 3.0 ports, two USB 2.0 ports

Not exactly great compared to consoles. Apparently you can get more expensive versions with Core i5 and i7 processors, 8GB of RAM, and 1TB or 2TB hard drives, if you want to spend the extra cash.

EDIT: Here's the full link: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2360739/meet-alienwares-alpha-console-a-steam-machine-without-steamos-for-now.html

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    No offense to peoples hanging theirs acts on them steam machines...

But if this is an example of what is to come, this concept needs another couple years in the oven. These machines, for 150 more than the competition, will play games significantly worse in the years to come.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Steambox from Alienware.

What the hell goes wrong in Keighley's brain when he's handed the box at around 1:15? All of a sudden he can't stop saying "uh huh" "yep" "right" "okay" nonstop for 10 or 15 seconds.

What do you expect from an alien-made box?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    obviously it's all conjecture because it doesn't state what sort of maxwell chip it is (i'd assume it'd be decent though, 2gb onboard ram is probably hinting 860 equivalent), but maxwell would be 1 graphics generation ahead of the current consoles, and it's a major architecture refresh for nvidia, which usually hauls along decent performance gains. also discrete gpu instead of the apu in both consoles.

in short that box will most likely run games faster than either console.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.