As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3] 2014 - Games games and more games!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Vita TV is also suppose to work as a streaming device for all the usual services right?

Might be worth it (I already got a Vita)

It's literally a Vita, except it hooks to your TV instead. And it should work with all Vita games that don't have a heavy Touch component (games have to get patched to work with it if they require Touch controls).

For $99 you get most of the Vita library (Full games and TONS AND TONS of Indies, the most this side of Steam) + 90% of the PSP library (everything on the PSN and that's compatible) + 90% of the PS1 Classics on the PSN store + all the Streaming services that are on Vita + Remote Play to PS4/PS3 + Playstation Now.

It's a fucking steal. I'll be getting one and I already own a Vita... just for that TV + PS4 controller play.

Your jumping the gun a bit arent you? Didnt they say on stage they were going to test a wide range of rental pricing? The Classics sure they are old and they can probably throw them in. but vita is still new enough that it probably is going to be more of a rental per game thing.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    Vita TV is also suppose to work as a streaming device for all the usual services right?

It's literally a Vita, except it hooks to your TV instead. And it should work with all Vita games that don't have a heavy Touch component (games have to get patched to work with it if they require Touch controls).

For $99 you get most of the Vita library (Full games and TONS AND TONS of Indies, the most this side of Steam) + 90% of the PSP library (everything on the PSN and that's compatible) + 90% of the PS1 Classics on the PSN store + all the Streaming services that are on Vita + Remote Play to PS4/PS3 + Playstation Now.

It's a fucking steal. I'll be getting one and I already own a Vita... just for that TV + PS4 controller play.

PSP games too? Does that include the Dissidia game? I've always wanted to try them but I never owned a Sony handheld.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

OH MY GOD.

I have to own one of these.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I think I'm crazy, because I can't picture wanting to play a lot of the Vita games on my tv.

I been playing a lot of PixelJunk Shooter on my Vita and love it more than I did on my PS3. It's just so easy to lay in bed and get a level or two before bed.

Still, $99 bucks for a capable streaming device is a good buy.

Loot at it one way. If you want to play in bed, you play on your Vita. If you want to play on your TV you transfer your memory card from the Vita to the Playstation TV and boot it up there. Then transfer it back when you're done.

Or have it on both and upload/download your Save through PSN plus without physically moving memory cards between them.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Your jumping the gun a bit arent you? Didnt they say on stage they were going to test a wide range of rental pricing? The Classics sure they are old and they can probably throw them in. but vita is still new enough that it probably is going to be more of a rental per game thing.

Dude. The thing's been out on Japan were it's called the Vita TV. It is literally a Vita as a TV-connected-box instead of a portable. Same system, same UI, same features. Your Vita memory card and games transfer between them. They're the exact same console.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    mnihil wrote: »
    All told, though, this E3 was just... your inchoate next gen E3. Almost nothing concrete, and certainly nothing concrete which is also new. I learned that both consoles will be able to keep you busy as a gamer. ... That's like saying that water'll quench your thirst, though.

Considering the game lineup each console has had over their lifespan so far, that's actually a new concept.
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    PS vita tv in us?

Day. GOD. DAMNED. ONE.

So many jrpgs.......

I'd jump on it had I not already bought my cousin's Vita.

Speaking of which, what kind of built-in storage does it have? If it's big enough, it might be cheaper to get it than a memory card.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I think I'm crazy, because I can't picture wanting to play a lot of the Vita games on my tv.

I been playing a lot of PixelJunk Shooter on my Vita and love it more than I did on my PS3. It's just so easy to lay in bed and get a level or two before bed.

Still, $99 bucks for a capable streaming device is a good buy.

Besides the low price, I want it for the exact reason that you don't. I rarely have a need for handhelds. Playing them in my own house feels like a struggle for comfort and to avoid tired arms, and I'd much rather be planted in front of a TV/monitor.

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Ah I just realized that I'm probably hosed if I didn't buy P4G digitally, right?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'll probably get a Vita TV for the fuck of it.

Something to slap my extra 32GB card into.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »
    All told, though, this E3 was just... your inchoate next gen E3. Almost nothing concrete, and certainly nothing concrete which is also new. I learned that both consoles will be able to keep you busy as a gamer. ... That's like saying that water'll quench your thirst, though.

Considering the game lineup each console has had over their lifespan so far, that's actually a new concept.
    PS vita tv in us?

Day. GOD. DAMNED. ONE.

So many jrpgs.......

Speaking of which, what kind of built-in storage does it have? If it's big enough, it might be cheaper to get it than a memory card.

Only 1GB, just like the Vita-2000. Which is enough for game saves if using physical carts and for a couple indies, but not a lot.

It uses the same exact memory cards as the Vita (because it is a Vita), which you'll need for all the PS+ games, the PSVita digital-only games (which there's a lot), PSP games, PS1 games, PSMobile games, and all your Indies and PSN games even if you plan on going retail on PSVita Carts when avaliable. The advertised bundle includes an 8gb card and they go up to 64gb atm.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    urahonky wrote: »
    Ah I just realized that I'm probably hosed if I didn't buy P4G digitally, right?

Yep. Apparently you are not hosed at all!

Viskod on
  • Options

Nope. It has a physical Vita Cart slot.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I wonder why they're even bothering to release Vita TV in the west.

It was a huge sales flop in Japan, you know, the only place where there actually a few people who own a Vita.
    Its library of games is terrible and it's not getting better, as evidenced by Sony's conference.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

It was a huge sales flop in Japan, you know, the only place where there actually a few people who own a Vita.
    Its library of games is terrible and it's not getting better, as evidenced by Sony's conference.

I don't think Games is necessarily the big target. Streaming stuff is. It will compete with the Apple TV.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »

PS vita tv in us?

Day. GOD. DAMNED. ONE.

So many jrpgs.......

Only 1GB, just like the Vita-2000. Which is enough for game saves if using physical carts and for a couple indies, but not a lot.

It uses the same exact memory cards as the Vita (because it is a Vita), which you'll need for all the PS+ games, the PSVita digital-only games (which there's a lot), PSP games, PS1 games, PSMobile games, and all your Indies and PSN games even if you plan on going retail on PSVita Carts when avaliable. The advertised bundle includes an 8gb card and they go up to 64gb atm.

Thank you. I was wondering if I could use the storage in lieu of buying my own memory card and get more value out of the purchase, but that does not seem to be the case.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

actually it kinda makes sense. it didn't do well in Japan were portable gaming seems to be fairly dominant, so it might do better in territories where the hand-held is struggling while tradition consoles are doing better than ever.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Ummm....

The Vita has an outstanding library.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Ummm....

FIll me in, if you don't mind. The only games I've got on my mind right now are P4G and Soul Sacrifice, though I know there are others.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    For those that haven't seen it.

OB3nP2E.png

Power cable. Ethernet slot. HDMI. Physical Vita Game Card slot. Vita Memory Card slot.

The libary of games is fantastic if you have any interest in RPGs, Japanese games, rhythm games, hunting games, or Western Indy games. Saying it doesn't have a huge library is crazy talk.

It flopped in Japan because japan is the land were Handhelds sell and Consoles don't. Weekly sales there are 3DS > Vita >>>>>> PS3 >> WiiU > PS4

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Emperor_Z wrote: »

Ummm....

FIll me in, if you don't mind. The only games I've got on my mind right now are P4G and Soul Sacrifice, though I know there are others.

Tearaway, Danganronpa, and Gravity Rush are on my to-buy list.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

Yep. Apparently you are not hosed at all!

Huzzah!

Nope. It has a physical Vita Cart slot.

Great news!

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

actually it kinda makes sense. it didn't do well in Japan were portable gaming seems to be fairly dominant, so it might do better in territories where the hand-held is struggling while tradition consoles are doing better than ever.

Well, that is true, but I don't think it's enough to make this thing a success. If people were interested in the Vita's library, then they would've actually bought more Vitas. You can get a used one for that price.

Ummm....

It does not.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    It may also catch on more here as it's basically a cheap console with a library people haven't seen, as unlike Japan, we don't have everyone and their brother owning mobile gaming devices beyond our smartphones.

• Options

I don't think Games is necessarily the big target. Streaming stuff is. It will compete with the Apple TV.

Isn't that market a bit crowded as it is? You've got Chromecast, Roku and Fire TV to compete with, as well as Apple TV.

• Options

Well, that is true, but I don't think it's enough to make this thing a success. If people were interested in the Vita's library, then they would've actually bought more Vitas. You can get a used one for that price.

Ummm....

It does not.

BULLSHIT.

Proof:
    Image made pre-E3 reveals.

1402406248731.jpg

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

unless they really aren't interested in a hand-held, like myself and a few others here. it might seem odd, but there is a market for this. how big of a market remains to be seen but i don't imagine it'll do any worse then the Vita has.

• Options

OB3nP2E.png

Power cable. Ethernet slot. HDMI. Physical Vita Game Card slot. Vita Memory Card slot.

The libary of games is fantastic if you have any interest in RPGs, Japanese games, rhythm games, hunting games, or Western Indy games. Saying it doesn't have a huge library is crazy talk.

It flopped in Japan because japan is the land were Handhelds sell and Consoles don't. Weekly sales there are 3DS > Vita >>>>>> PS3 >> WiiU > PS4

I like JRPGs and weird Japanese stuff and there are, like, 3 games on that system that appeal to me.

And it flopped in Japan because handhelds sell there? That..doesn't make sense.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Ummm....

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/189892/ps-vita-new-thread-new-soul-to-sacrifice/p1

There's a nice list in the OP. Plus there's new interesting stuff in the works like Freedom Wars. Also, something I noticed missing from the recommended games list is Toukiden, which is a very cool, more accessable monster hunter kind of game.

@maz- you crazy as hell! ;P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    To be fair if you're not into Japanese-esque games then the Vita might not appeal to you all that much.

• Options

OB3nP2E.png

I like JRPGs and weird Japanese stuff and there are, like, 3 games on that system that appeal to me.

Why doesn't it make sense? The Japanese don't want to buy consoles, and those who want to play Vita games already own Vitas.

• Options

How does it not make sense. People own actual Vitas in Japan. They can take a Vita with them on the train/public transportation, they can play it after school/work while not-home, they can congregate with friends outside and play games ad-hoc like they do as a culture.

They can't do any of that with the Vita TV.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Nintendo needs to start noooooow...

• Options

OB3nP2E.png

Okay I'm seeing:

Power Button, Memory Card slot, USB port, HDMI, Ethernet, and AC port.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I'm gonna have to check my PSN purchases for compatibility. I might buy a Vita Playstation TV to replace my PSP Go as my lone Playstation device in the house.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Nintendo needs to start noooooow...

I know, Easily the one I'm most excited for in terms of "games on our system that you can't get on others."

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Probably not the best place for Console Wars Vita.

But I have been using it to play Symphony of the Night for the first time, and I love handhelds, so that's a pretty fantastic thing.

• Options

Ummm....

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/189892/ps-vita-new-thread-new-soul-to-sacrifice/p1

There's a nice list in the OP. Plus there's new interesting stuff in the works like Freedom Wars. Also, something I noticed missing from the recommended games list is Toukiden, which is a very cool, more accessable monster hunter kind of game.

@maz- you crazy as hell! ;P

Ah, neat. Yeah, Playstation TV is looking very appealing.

By the way, Monster Hunter, Toukiden, and Freedom Wars are all in the same genre, right? How do they compare?

• Options

OB3nP2E.png

Why doesn't it make sense? The Japanese don't want to buy consoles, and those who want to play Vita games already own Vitas.

And that number is still small compared to the number of 3DSs sold.

It's okay to like the Vita, but it doesn't change the fact that the device is a flop.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Is not cord cutting a thing there?

I mean here..... people are doing it in droves....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
This discussion has been closed.