Options

[Steam] Thread: Holy cow this 2K sale is the real deal

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I'm online now, BTW, hanging out in the warpgate. Shoot me a tell if you need an outfit invite. Might take me a bit to respond. :)

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    So what can people tell me about Crusader Kings 2? The idea of a dynastic succession game intrigues me, but I have heard the games are kind of difficult to get a handle on initially.

Oh yeah. To call the game esoteric would be giving it a lot of credit. The tutorials don't hardly cover much at all. There are a lot of informative Let's Plays on Youtube though, and I think the best way to learn the game is to watch a few of them and just start a game in Munster at 1066 and just futz around figuring it out.

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    this was my first console
    Radio_Shack_Color_TV_Scoreboard-1.jpg
    followed by the 2600 (with the 6 toggles for the controls instead of the a/b difficulty on the back)
    My first "computer" was the TI 99/4A

I also tied onions to my belt cause it was the style at the time

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    To whoever mentioned the witcher earlier. important alchemy advice.

Some alchemy ingredients have two attributes. The first attribute is used to make the potion. The second attribute is used to match up and give your potion a second effect. match them all in your ingredients to accomplish this. I remember there being a white secondary effect and a black one.

you need strong alcohol for brews and can refine it from cheaper ones. I don't know how far you've gotten but the wiki has a checklist for the various chapters.

Probably me. I just beat the intro and got to meditate for the first time. So, yeah, not far!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    So what can people tell me about Crusader Kings 2? The idea of a dynastic succession game intrigues me, but I have heard the games are kind of difficult to get a handle on initially.
    Someone told me the Rome dlc is crucial because you need to have retinues, but I haven't played it.

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Thank you to @HeirTransparent‌ for Betrayer! I look forward to discovering all the betrayals! All of them! Or I can do the betraying I guess if you want. I'm up for whatevs.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    To whoever mentioned the witcher earlier. important alchemy advice.

Some alchemy ingredients have two attributes. The first attribute is used to make the potion. The second attribute is used to match up and give your potion a second effect. match them all in your ingredients to accomplish this. I remember there being a white secondary effect and a black one.

you need strong alcohol for brews and can refine it from cheaper ones. I don't know how far you've gotten but the wiki has a checklist for the various chapters.

Probably me. I just beat the intro and got to meditate for the first time. So, yeah, not far!

Look at the various skill trees carefully. Its easy to be overzealous and shoot down the wrong path.

Unlocking harvesting will help later on.

• Options
    Still handing out PS2 outfit invites like candy, BTW.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Signed into PS2 for a few minutes to get an invite from shae. Not sure if I'll get a night at home without company before Friday, but at least I should be able to play with all you fine ladies and gentlemen then. I'll be the one standing off in space attempting random actions.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    My character on Vanu is named "Corr" so if you'd like to send me friend requests before then, have at it. :)

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    Thanks to @Doctorarch For Deadlight! It was a welcome surprise after getting some dental work today!

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    I never have any idea whats going on in Planet Side, I get an order to go some where and by the time I've arrived there are no enemies.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Coinage wrote: »
    Someone told me the Rome dlc is crucial because you need to have retinues, but I haven't played it.

The game is fine without retinues, but I sure as hell won't go back to not having them haha. Aside from the obvious advantages of having a standing army, I think it's pretty cool RP-wise to have grizzled, old, battle veterans leading your personal army.

I haven't gone through the tutorial in some time, but I do believe they tidied up a lot of the jankiness that was present in its initial release. Scouting youtube for tutorials might be a little on the tricky side these days too, as the scope of the game has expanded enormously over the past 2+ years.

The long-standing rule of having your first dynastic head being an Earl in Ireland still stands. At the start of a typical game in 1066 they're quite insulated from conflicts occurring in the rest of Europe, so you can focus on making small gains quite slowly to get a feel of the game.

The Crusader Kings 2 thread has an enormous amount of information and support from regular posters if you have any questions about getting started, and it is well WELL worth getting started. If it gets its claws into you, you can kiss 100+hours goodbye, easy

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Oh yeah. To call the game esoteric would be giving it a lot of credit. The tutorials don't hardly cover much at all. There are a lot of informative Let's Plays on Youtube though, and I think the best way to learn the game is to watch a few of them and just start a game in Munster at 1066 and just futz around figuring it out.

So I decided to check out some tutorial vids on youtube, I mean how complicated can they be? I mean here's a "basic introductory for newbies" video . . . that is an hour long. Huh. Well this video is 15 minutes . . . and is part 1 of 5.

Huh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    I remember leaving the computer on all night, connected tenuously to the internet by my smoking hot 56k modem so I could download the Quake demo, which was a whopping 20Mb file. Imagine my sorrow when I found out the connection had dropped and I had to start over again. This is what led me to learn of Getright.

Dark times.

Holy shit, Getright. Now that brings back memories!

Simultaneous split downloads!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfMrVKnGzwg

Thinking about this, it's somewhat frighting that there are probably people out there now a days that if you mentioned alta vista or netscape, wouldn't know what you were talking about.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorriganX wrote: »
    My character on Vanu is named "Corr" so if you'd like to send me friend requests before then, have at it. :)

Sorry I missed your ping; you caught me right as I was finishing up the evening's emails.
    Shade wrote: »
    I never have any idea whats going on in Planet Side, I get an order to go some where and by the time I've arrived there are no enemies.

How are you getting there?

If you're running more than the distance between two bases, you're probably doing it wrong. :D Flashes are cheap as free, and let you book it over open terrain, and once every couple of minutes you can just redeploy closer to where you want to be.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    a846xkQ.png

There is literally nothing I could say that would make this better.

Thank you @BornToHula

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Guys, Murder Miners is GREAT. Its stupid, but amazing fun. Not a lot of depth, but running around blasting the map away and shooting each other so good.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    So i got the Humble Bundle and loaded up GalCiv 2. Wow that game has aged poorly. I don't mean visuals. And i don't even mean UI that much its just. So so so much worse than Civ 5 from a game perspective its mind boggling.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    First consoles, both from Sears/Atari: Motocross, a version of Stunt Cycle that also played several types of Pong, and of course a VCS/2600.

sears-motocross-1977-1.jpg

First computer used, an Apple ][ at my middle school. I still have the very first (5.25") floppy I ever bought, though the plastic started cracking long ago and it's just a disintegrating memento in storage now. It's in a box with the (working) Apple and monitor I bought from a church years back, various other floppies from my high school and college days (all of which I had converted to disc images for use with a modern emulator), and some boxed software like the classic Broderbund Print Shop.

First computer owned, a Commodore VIC-20. Not much I can say about this. Cassette drive, typing in programs from magazines (and inevitably getting something wrong), primitive color support, wide display... but it was a computer.

First computer owned (PC), a 486 with a 33 MHz clock speed, 4 megabytes of RAM, and a hard drive somewhere between 200-250 Mb; it came with DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.1. I still have my second, a Pentium 100 with Windows 98, a genuine SoundBlaster 16 and two HDs, the larger of which is 2 gigs - enough for full install of a few CD games! I keep it partly as a memento of the friend who built it for me (taken before his time) and partly for truly authentic retrogaming, though DOSbox and GOG are now good enough to make that mostly moot.

Later consoles owned: PlayStation (bought mostly for Final Fantasy VII, Wip3 Out and Ridge Racer 4); PlayStation 2 (Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts; also my first device that could play DVDs); Dreamcast (almost entirely for Skies of Arcadia, plus a whole box full of games I burned to CD during my days as another sort of pirate; Steam ended that, making it easier and almost as cheap to go legit). None since. Still have all of these as well.

Other hardware: My brothers, at various points, had a NES and a Commodore 64. My old comic book store had a SNES in back; played a fair amount of Super Mario World and Sim City on that (and later got into emulation to play more classic RPGs like FF and Chrono Trigger). The university, and later my mother, had early color Macs (the ones that still used the "Snow White" design motif that began with the //c), and I played with the original beige toaster a few times in stores.

... and yes, I had (have) a Zip drive. And before that, I had so many 3.5" not-floppies. After, so many CD-Rs and a few DVD-Rs. Now, of course, I just use a little USB drive (itself several years old) that holds 8G, as much as a double-sided DVD. And I recently bought an external enclosure to make use of an old 250G IDE drive for taking my music library etc to LANs. (A thousand times the capacity of my very first HD, note, and it too is now obsolete.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Dawn of the Final Day blah blah that picture from Zelda i'm out of town and in a shitty mood.
    But in all seriousness, my birthday is in a week, and I wanted to do a little giveaway because that's what this place is all about. These are gonna be a mix of games that I think are kinda cool, and games I've heard good things about.

Standard SteamGifts rules apply: be a member of PAGT, don't be a weird, be fairly active on the forums, etc.

Troll your friends with Crawl
    signature.png

Psychedelic roguelike FPS where you will probably die because you forgot to pick up your shot bullets
    signature.png

Like I said before, you're a Russian astrodog with a gun
    signature.png

I hear it's like if they made Airplane! into a video game
    signature.png

Nothing like a stroll through the insane asylum to end your summer
    signature.png

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    hey @cooljammer00 did you get the PM I sent last week?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I just saw it. Thanks for Mini Ninjas, rikdaly!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    The cover art for Crimsonland is a cruel jest
    maxresdefault.jpg
    crimsonland_1280x720_screenshot_3.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    The cover art for Crimsonland is a cruel jest
    maxresdefault.jpg

That seems vaguely familiar, somehow. Can't quite put my finger on it...

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Crusader Kings 2 is the most confused I have ever been while playing a game. Play at your own risk.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Check out Arumba's channel on YouTube for CK2 videos. His are pretty great. He has a tutorial series going on right now that I haven't had a chance to watch yet.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Last night I sat in front of my PC for a short time. I booted up Planetside 2 to make sure it was running and no patches were needed, I printed out my resume for a job fair today, I checked shipping on a memory card I ordered, and then I sat, thinking. I knew there was something I wanted to do. Now that I've read the past few posts, I realize it was to redeem my Humble Bundle that I bought while I was at work.

I may have to wait to install Van Helsing until I clear off a few games from the hard drive, but I hadn't really noticed the Deadlight game that came with the bundle. How is it? The clips I've watched kind of looks like Flashback with zombies.

I really need to choose what to have installed/uninstalled - all my drives are out of space at this point :(

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    Crusader Kings 2 is the most confused I have ever been while playing a game. Play at your own risk.

It sure does take some time, and possibly a little medieval history, but that game is one of the most worth the effort I've played in a while. Once you really say, "Oh, I get it now," you could easily get sucked in. This is a game that I see myself going back to for years and years.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Oh it's fun. Very fun.

It just requires a lot of prep time before you have any idea what you're doing or what's going on.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Five Night's at Freddy's is a sim about working in the service industry and you should all get it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    My first computer was a Commodore 64.

It is still my favorite piece of hardware, ever.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    So... Amazing Princess Sarah, despite having facepalm-worthy cover art (omgboobs!), is quite bit of fun to play. It looks like a pretty standard-fare sidescroller platformer... but it's not. And while you have a cute little stabby sword you can fight off bad guys with, the real way to fight and advance through the levels is by picking up furniture, bombs, and even enemy bodies and lobbing them at other enemies to crush them. And to make this more interesting, things you pick up have different weights, physics, throw characteristics - you can't lob a big armoire as far as you can lob a small wooden chair, but you can do more damage with it. Etc. All in all, it's a clever and fun little romp.

Totally worth playing. Pixie Thumbs-Up. Have a controller handy.

Also, I am terrible at reviews. Here is a better one.

Thanks again @Viking for this. I expect to put quite a bit of time into it. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    My first computer, I believe, was a 486SX25. There were a lot of memories with that little machine that could. The first computer that I owned, I think was a pentium 90.

For consoles, the first was an Atari 2600. It was followed by Famicom(NES), Genesis, SNES, PS1, PS2, PS3.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I keep playing Steam Marines and trying to like it but I just can't get over how freakin' long it takes for out-of-sight enemies to do their moves. From the first step of a level to the last, it's a good minute of looking at black parts of the map per round - it's intolerable!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Dishonored GOTY for $7.49 on GMG.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I used to be a decent galaxy pilot in Planetside and did a bit in Planetside 2. Figured I should get in some practice before Friday.

Err...welll....let's just say I think I'll stick to ground vehicles. Almost have the certs for AMS upgrade for Sunderer so I'll be happy to do that.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Asharad wrote: »
    My first computer was a Commodore 64.

It is still my favorite piece of hardware, ever.

Mine too. Not to encourage piracy, but I think the statute of limitations has passed on this one...One of my favorite memories was the year I got my 1541 disk drive for Christmas - my dad had all his Navy buddies copy games for me. I opened a box of like 100+ floppies, many of which just said "Games" or had no label at all. I spent weeks going through them and finding gems.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    I'll try to join everyone in Planetside if they fix my internet at home by then... I had some very good times with PA people when it first came out, but then I stopped playing because I forget why? I remember many good times were had in the giant flying cow they call a "Galaxy".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Luftrausers hit $2.50 over at Gamersgate (steamworks) which kicks it into my "can't think of a reason not to buy" price range.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
This discussion has been closed.