Options

kittens with mus[chat]hes

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    should i
    a) spend a whole vacation in switzerland
    b) go to other random european countries and spend way more time/money traveling

c) spend a whole vacation in swaziland

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    should i
    b) go to other random european countries and spend way more time/money traveling

come here and we'll drink

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    Orphan Black is the absolute best holy shit you guys should all be watching it now
    Orphan Black is a good show!

I keep on forgetting that it is the same actress

Also Felix is one of my favourite characters in anything ever

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    should i

I'd say Swissland.

i think so too

swipserland

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    should i

c) spend a whole vacation in swaziland

Lesotho is better.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    should i

i wonder if it would be cheap/cheaper to stop in ireland for 1 day then continue to switzerland

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Orphan Black is the absolute best holy shit you guys should all be watching it now

i watched a bit of the first season and it seemed kind of

goofy

does it pick up a lot?

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    The urge to fire up CK2 and abuse the new tribal mechanics as a viking lord, it is strong.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    swaziland is probably a pretty relaxing vacation spot

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    here I am

all dressed up

but it's a public holidaaaay

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    swaziland is probably a pretty relaxing vacation spot

Swhipsterland best land.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    the thing about dark souls is much as i dislike the emphasis on sitting around with your finger up ur butte the combat is very fit for purpose

and the use of raycasting to determine where weapons hit and stuff makes it all feel very real and simulated

es very stronk bonus for verisimilitude and stuf

i do think there is a sort of inherent clash between the desire to position the player as a powerful and singular hero who can take on hordes of enemies/monstrous foes, and the desire to make the player human, vulnerable, fragile, careful, etc.

a single human-sized warrior who can take on a giant or a dragon or what-have-you would have to be superheroic in ability, and it's very jarring to stand there and hack at a dragon's ankle as he stomps around uselessly trying to nab you. i think that's where the game falls down.

of course i'd prefer a completely different combat system for large enemies, if you're going to fight them by yourself, one that relies on using terrain and mobility to stay alive, damaging limbs to slow them down or disable them and bring their vitals near your weapon, specialized monster-slaying weapons that have unique effects (harpoons, anchors, nets, poisons, etc.), chopping off sections of scale or armour to get to their delicious innards

as opposed to reading patterns and execution challenges while chopping at an HP bar

in dragon's dogma you could climb on monsters but i mean, why bother

• Options
    should i

i wonder if it would be cheap/cheaper to stop in ireland for 1 day then continue to switzerland

I've never looked into getting to Switzerland

getting to the UK/France/Spain/Germany/Belgium from Ireland can cost about $50-70 depending on how far in advance you're booking

• Options

i watched a bit of the first season and it seemed kind of

goofy

does it pick up a lot?

i dunno, i am on s1e8 and the goofyness level is perfect for me

i can see it running the risk of going full crazy but it was renewed for a third season recently enough so i'm guessing it maintains a similar level of quality

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    the thing about dark souls is much as i dislike the emphasis on sitting around with your finger up ur butte the combat is very fit for purpose

and the use of raycasting to determine where weapons hit and stuff makes it all feel very real and simulated

i do think there is a sort of inherent clash between the desire to position the player as a powerful and singular hero who can take on hordes of enemies/monstrous foes, and the desire to make the player human, vulnerable, fragile, careful, etc.

a single human-sized warrior who can take on a giant or a dragon or what-have-you would have to be superheroic in ability, and it's very jarring to stand there and hack at a dragon's ankle as he stomps around uselessly trying to nab you. i think that's where the game falls down.

of course i'd prefer a completely different combat system for large enemies, if you're going to fight them by yourself, one that relies on using terrain and mobility to stay alive, damaging limbs to slow them down or disable them and bring their vitals near your weapon, specialized monster-slaying weapons that have unique effects (harpoons, anchors, nets, poisons, etc.), chopping off sections of scale or armour to get to their delicious innards

as opposed to reading patterns and execution challenges while chopping at an HP bar

Yeah, I thought they might have finally done that when I fought a dragon in DS2, the first one in an open area with a few ledges and several holes you can duck into.

But then I realized that you never need to dodge into cover to get away from a big fiery attack if you, instead, just stand near his feet while he stomps around slowly.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    I could get a flight from dublin to geneva in march for like $80 now

thats pretty uh.. completely do-able

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    oh yeah i forgot it'd be one way

yeah it's like €55 to Geneva

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    to comfort myself I shall civ for a bit

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    to comfort myself I shall civ for a bit

420 economic victory erry day

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

well its the problem of trying to say "here are the tools and moves you use to battle a human sized bro. go forth and use them on a dargon"

i remember seeing a semi spergy gm guy talking actually quite amusing on this topic - he sent his party off to kill a dragon and none of them stopped to think about what they were actually meant to be doing. so they turn up in a field and the dragon just flies above them and starts strafing them. they suddenly realise they have no way to get the damn thing to land...

another story about a group of adventurers who turn up with human-killing weapons when confronting a giant turtle and it just ignores them

this is one of the nice things about revengeance or bayonetta in a way - bayonetta actually solves this by her going "serious mode" against giant enemies and just summoning absurdly large hair weapons. and all the bosses in revengeance are awesome cyborgs bar the occasional metal gear

to be honest ive seen such singular lack of success in making large bosses interesting across almost all games i would much rather most games stuck to human sized enemies and just gave you interesting riffs on the games core combat, or make a game explicitly about killing huge things (like sotc)

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    should i

switzerland is tiny bro

is there more than a weekend worth of stuff there? idk man just sing Sound of Music, buy a watch and a knife, ski down a mountain and then go somewhere else.

• Options
    this is one of the nice things about revengeance or bayonetta in a way - bayonetta actually solves this by her going "serious mode" against giant enemies and just summoning absurdly large hair weapons.

I feel like we have exceedingly different defintions of "serious" at this point

• Options
    european travelling pro-tip: go to google flights and stick in nearby airports

you can save a ton by flying somewhere and getting trains/busses

Birmingham to London and Girona to Barcelona are what I've done personally

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    should i

switzerland is tiny bro

is there more than a weekend worth of stuff there? idk man just sing Sound of Music, buy a watch and a knife, ski down a mountain and then go somewhere else.

theres at least 3 days of stuff

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Ugh. Plans canceled. Back in bed with either the flu or food poisoning. All out of my nausea meds too.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    should i

switzerland is tiny bro

theres at least 3 days of stuff

Not the whole damn musical, just the title song!

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    hey guys lets all have panic attacks together it will be a wonderful shared experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »
    Ugh. Plans canceled. Back in bed with either the flu or food poisoning. All out of my nausea meds too.

peppermint tea

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I am riding a giant beardog now

• Options
    part of the reason the ancient dragon fight in dark souls 2 is so hard (and not fun at all) is that he is fucking enormous and kills you in one hit with almost every attack, and the first thing he does when you come in is fly into the air and cover half the battlefield in roaring dragonfire

turns out that being a six-foot dude with a sword is not great for fighting enormous flying dragons, inherently

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    hey guys lets all have panic attacks together it will be a wonderful shared experience

You dont gotta ask me twice!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXukwNQG0uA

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

*twitch*

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Urgh, i'm tired.

Goo night.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Killing dragons:

Step 1: acquire bees
    Step 2: apply bees to dragon
    Step 3: victory

• Options
    also it would be way better if you had a game built on fighting giant monsters but you had to use those tactics to beat normal human enemies

so you end up jumping on top of them and crawling around awkwardly and they are meanwhile yelling and falling over and really not sure what's happening at all

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    I watched the episode of Tabletop where they play Shadows over Camelot with Gabe, Tycho and Tara Strong

I had to tap out as soon as Tara Strong started doing her voices for the characters in the game

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    this is one of the nice things about revengeance or bayonetta in a way - bayonetta actually solves this by her going "serious mode" against giant enemies and just summoning absurdly large hair weapons.

I feel like we have exceedingly different defintions of "serious" at this point

one of the weapons is a giant frog

look at de end of dis

http://videos.videopress.com/hbzI9GFS/20140214_sse2_hd.mp4

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    invasions aren't very common, and they're level bounded - for part of the game's life cycle, it's pretty fair, until people learn how to break it

it's at the point now where invaders will come in and see you fighting monsters and just watch, doing the cheering and supportive gestures as you fight, and wait until you're done and heal up and equip your PVP gear, and then they put on some bizarre outfit and use some strange but effective build and you duel to the death
    i wish this would start happening in DS2

it is like 90% havel jesters buttfaces with buffed katanas

This discussion has been closed.