As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: In-App Purchases

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Good ol' F2P ruining another potentially good game?

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I wouldn't go that far. To some extent I think the 'reviewer' is overreacting somewhat. Just because GW released the game as F2P doesn't mean they have no desire to make money off it. He's expressing frustration that it will take an obscene amount of time to (i'm guessing based on his description of "unlock 2 decks and level your 5 squaddies, and 3 hero skill trees") experience a majority of the game content. And.. well... yeah, if you play it purely by the f2p model, it kinda should. If you could knock out the whole game in a week including most/all of the unlockables, nobody would buy their credit packs.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Also you can redeem promotional codes, and since the game's release just a few days ago I've already seen 2 codes posted places that unlocked just over half a dozen cards total.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Also you can redeem promotional codes, and since the game's release just a few days ago I've already seen 2 codes posted places that unlocked just over half a dozen cards total.

..... go on...

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    whoever decided the warhammer game should be f2p with microtransactions and not a $19.99 premium game with content not gated by microtransactions has sinned against all of mankind.

keep-calm-and-call-for-exterminatus.png

• Options
    I'm surprised they feel their game is non-niche enough to be reasonably supported by a f2p model.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Yeah, I know I am preaching to the choir but this is yet another game that i would happily have dropped $10 on to just play a fun, balanced game that progresses at a reasonable pace.

PS If you want a game with cards and no freemium nonsense just buy Sentinels of the Multiverse. It is radical.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

..... go on...
    SOFTCODE
    APPSPYSOFT

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options

..... go on...
    SOFTCODE
    APPSPYSOFT

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I really don't care how good a game is anymore f2p is a nonstarter in my book

• Options
    Depends on how fun the grind is. For turn based squad tactics, I'm willing to ride it out for a while and delete it if it gets tedious.

• Options
    I really don't care how good a game is anymore f2p is a nonstarter in my book
    You do realize that games like Hearthstone, Asphalt 8, Jetpack Joyride, Dead Trigger 2, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Plants Vs Zombies 2, etc are all F2P games right?

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I haven't tried about half of those, but PvZ2 maybe isn't the best example. Well, maybe it is now, but at release it pretty clearly suffered for being F2P.

Jetpack Joyride is one of the best games on iOS, though.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Just got a new iphone6 this month to replace my old 4s.

Are there any more recent really good rpgs or stragety games for iOS?

Or any good strategy games that are iPad only for the iPad4 I still use as my main webbrowsing, comicreader, magazine reading device?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Just got a new iphone6 this month to replace my old 4s.

Are there any more recent really good rpgs or stragety games for iOS?

Or any good strategy games that are iPad only for the iPad4 I still use as my main webbrowsing, comicreader, magazine reading device?

DO you have any at all? Cause, yeah.

Final Fantasy VI
    XCom
    Bastion
    Oceanhorn
    Chrono Trigger
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Baldur's Gate & 2*
    Secret of Mana
    Chaos Rings/Omega/2
    The Shadow Sun
    Majesty & Northern Expansion
    Record of Agarest War
    Shadowrun Returns
    Starbase Orion
    Frozen Synapse*
    Neuroshima Hex
    Rapture - World Conquest
    Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy*
    Anomaly 2
    Small World 2*
    Space Hulk*
    Battleheart Legacy
    The World Ends With You
    Hunters 2
    KOTOR
    Warhammer Quest
    Terraria
    Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land
    Space Wolf
    RAD Soldiers
    Great Little War Game
    Great Big War Game

*-iPad only

I mean, there's a few I guess is what I'm getting at.

Cog on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I haven't tried about half of those, but PvZ2 maybe isn't the best example. Well, maybe it is now, but at release it pretty clearly suffered for being F2P.

Jetpack Joyride is one of the best games on iOS, though.

At release PvZ2 was a grind fest, and within a short amount of time they removed pretty much all of the grind from the game, which would make it a very good example at this point. It's pretty much a completely free game with microtransactions now.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    And I take exception even to the "grind fest" description for PvZ2 at release, as to unlock everything* you just had to win each challenge once. That doesn't feel like much of a grind to me. It's overall better now because there is more content, but I miss the maps that were nonlinear and the optional challenges for levels.

*everything except the content that cannot be unlocked at all without paying

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Hmm. I have a chunk of that list on PC, consoles, or actual portable gaming devices.

On the other hand, Terra Battle is pretty enjoyable so far.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Did a run through Banner Saga. Fun little game. It's basically a choose your own adventure story with some light squad based fighting in it.

• Options
    JonBob wrote: »
    And I take exception even to the "grind fest" description for PvZ2 at release, as to unlock everything* you just had to win each challenge once. That doesn't feel like much of a grind to me. It's overall better now because there is more content, but I miss the maps that were nonlinear and the optional challenges for levels.

If I remember correctly you had to play through each level at least 3 times, and you couldn't move on to the next world until you got a certain amount of keys that were random drops. Which basically meant depending on luck you could farm keys for a day or a month just to get to the next world. And keys did not carry over if you had extra, they were unique to each world.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »

If I remember correctly you had to play through each level at least 3 times, and you couldn't move on to the next world until you got a certain amount of keys that were random drops. Which basically meant depending on luck you could farm keys for a day or a month just to get to the next world. And keys did not carry over if you had extra, they were unique to each world.

Yeah, I got to a point where I needed more keys to progress, and I had to keep grinding levels to try to be able to progress. I quickly gave up.

The revised game is MUCH better.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    For anybody curious, Baldur's Gate is perfectly playable on the iPhone 6's screen. I'd heard complaints that things were cramped, but even on the lesser of the new mammoth phones it's really nice.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Apparently they released a freemium Star Wars Tower Defense game yesterday. Have not had time to try yet. Reviewes are mixed. Apparently on the surface it's fun and it's actually quite difficult, which sounds appealing.. except the difficulty level may be designed to make you fail a lot so you devour your energy timer and feel compelled to buy their gems.

Cog on
  • Options
    Ok, now that I've spent some time with it, the difficulty complaint on the Star Wars tower defense game is pretty unfounded. Yes, it's hard, but the difficulty "settings" are misleadingly labeled. "Novice" doesn't mean that it's easier for people unfamiliar/not good at TD games. It means you as a player of this game are currently still at novice level.

You're not supposed to load up the first mission and rock it on expert just cause you kick ass at Kingdom Rush. Your towers and heroes gain experience levels and their stats improve, and there is fifty levels for each. Plus relics and support cards. It's not that the game is impossibly difficult, it's that it is meant to scale a loooong way as your mans level. There's actually a LOT of meat on the bones as you go back to replay missions on higher difficulties once you've leveled up your units. You're not going to experience all the content in a straight shot through the game like you might with Kingdom Rush (the only knock I have on the KR games at all).

Example- I passed the third mission with 3/20 hearts left in novice, not cause I suck but cause my towers are only level 2 and my Darth Vader was only level 3. But once I unlock the other two champion slots and bring a leveled up Boba Fett and Emperor Palpatine with me and have another 30 or 40 levels on my towers? No sweat.

The only real issue - and where they really want to make their money - is the energy meter for playing/replaying leveles in order to gain all those bonuses.

But that comes with the F2P territory. For now, I'm tentatively quite happy with the game until I see how bad the grind/energy meter is.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Just played a couple missions.

Kinda... Though if you ever played the Metal Gear Ac!d games it's closer to that.

Squad based, grid movement, tactics, and a deck of item cards to determine what your next action will be.

Hhnnnnnnnnnrrrrrrgggghhhh

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Apparently they released a freemium Star Wars Tower Defense game yesterday. Have not had time to try yet. Reviewes are mixed. Apparently on the surface it's fun and it's actually quite difficult, which sounds appealing.. except the difficulty level may be designed to make you fail a lot so you devour your energy timer and feel compelled to buy their gems.

Just tried it out. Pretty fun so far, although I'm only 3 missions in.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I'm 7 missions in on various difficulty levels of completion each. Play energy not been an issue so far. The character/tower leveling makes a huge difference on enabling the ability to replay on the harder levels and not give up any stars.

• Options
    Well if I can't trust waterproof cases and Bluetooth is not an option, should I just bite the bullet and buy a cheap small waterproof MP3 player just for my swims? I can deal with it if I have to, I just have a thousand electronicals that can do MP3 already and it's slightly annoying to buy another one just for a single function.

http://www.amazon.com/Diver-Waterproof-Player-Display-Earphones/dp/B00GWV6GUO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1413363539&sr=1-1&keywords=waterproof+mp3+player+for+swimming

How's this one look? Decently cheap, and mostly high reviews on Amazon. Only real downsides for me are space and no shuffle function. Though that shouldn't matter much because I'll be using it mostly for listening to podcasts while I swim. If it had more space on it and a shuffle feature I'd listen to some music here and there, but it would still be primarily a podcast machine for me. Before anyone suggests getting one of the just plain shuffle only waterproof MP3 players, I need the screen that this one provides. That is because if I'm going to be listening to podcasts on it, I need to be able to see time stamps when I finish, so that I can properly sync my regular iPod to where I am in the podcast afterwards.

Decided to pull the trigger on the cheap player I linked in my last post above, pink was all that was left. Anyway, now I just have to wait for it to stop being rainy and windy to give it a shot.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm 7 missions in on various difficulty levels of completion each. Play energy not been an issue so far. The character/tower leveling makes a huge difference on enabling the ability to replay on the harder levels and not give up any stars.

OK, am I not supposed to worry about being able to get a 3-star on Easy first time around? I get the harder difficulties, but I just hit mission 7 and the wave of double speeder bikes allows just enough of a gap that Troopers get through on both sides. Luke can't cover both and I'm just short of cash to build a Turret fast enough to kill the other side. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I wish banner saga had a "no battle" mode to replay just making different choices.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

OK, am I not supposed to worry about being able to get a 3-star on Easy first time around? I get the harder difficulties, but I just hit mission 7 and the wave of double speeder bikes allows just enough of a gap that Troopers get through on both sides. Luke can't cover both and I'm just short of cash to build a Turret fast enough to kill the other side. :(

Don't worry about getting 3 stars on your first few attempts at any given level + new difficulty level. That's kinda the whole point of the game. When you push on into a new level, or when you attempt the same level on a higher difficulty, the game actually ratchets up a lot. Unless you want to blow a bunch of the premium support items, 3*'ing is impossible.

You're supposed to keep playing, level up your champions and towers, and then come back later to try for 3*s or try the next difficulty. I mean, just as an example, the basic ranged tower (if I recall correctly...) started off with something like 15 damage per shot, and I have my towers up to level 8 so it's now doing 36 per shot.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I don't like that it requires an Internet connection to play, but aside from that it's ok.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I wish banner saga had a "no battle" mode to replay just making different choices.

But the battles themselves affect the story.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

But the battles themselves affect the story.

They do? Examples?

• Options
    Bitcoin Billionaire is the very definition of stupid addictive. Or stupid and addictive. It's worth giving it a whirl.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Latest wave of PvZ2 is out. A couple more plants you can buy with the crystals. One of them seems super powerful (attacks the left most zombie in any row).

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Bitcoin Billionaire is the very definition of stupid addictive. Or stupid and addictive. It's worth giving it a whirl.

So let me get this straight. You tap on the screen.

• Options

Yep. And buy upgrades.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

Yep. And buy upgrades.

It's even more exciting than that! There are income upgrades so you can progress even without touching the screen or doing anything, and there are upgrades to make your fake pixelly room look snazzier!

And there are cheevos!

wonderpug on