As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I spent 90 hours at the [job] thread last week and all I got was this lousy paycheck

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    See, you two can duke it out, but it's a Catch-22:

If I play FF14, I'll have to cough up all my gold to my brother and lose the satisfaction of hearing him beg for my measly quarter-million.

If I play WoW, I will never be allowed to visit Monty the cat again.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    You could not cough up your gold to your brother and still play FF14.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Gnome/Lalafel cook-off.

Best kabobs wins.

No contest.
    Gnome is tough and gamey, whereas lalafel is tender and juicy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Yeah, I could not tell him, but it would slip some day and then he would never shut up about it.

My long term protocol is to wait until he's about ready to quit and then toss him my authenticator and tell him to 'go ahead and snag my cash, I'm done.'

Then he will have to deal with my entire old guild crew begging for their main tank back as well as the prospect of 250k free gold and how he can't let it go to waste.

I am an evil motherfucker.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Okay, so I decided to try and quit smoking; only one day so far and I've gone from most of a pack to less than half a pack.

To take the place of cigarettes, I've got it down to a choice between heroin and some kind of healthy snack like dried fruit or wheat crackers. Since HEB doesn't carry heroin, I guess I'll be getting snacks.

Have you considered a MMO?

I've already decided against heroin, thank you very much.

But you can come play WoW with us~!

Start out with Hearthstone. its free to play! honest!

or something like flappy birds.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

Yeah, I could not tell him, but it would slip some day and then he would never shut up about it.

My long term protocol is to wait until he's about ready to quit and then toss him my authenticator and tell him to 'go ahead and snag my cash, I'm done.'

Then he will have to deal with my entire old guild crew begging for their main tank back as well as the prospect of 250k free gold and how he can't let it go to waste.

I am an evil motherfucker.

Truly, you are a Sith

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I've spent a good chunk of the day rewriting the lyrics to "Levon" to be about my cat, in case you were wondering how productive I've been.

I Zimbra on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Doctor tried to put me on Zocor yesterday because my triglycerides are borderline high.

I politely declined by saying I would try adjusting my diet first. As much crap is going around about how iffy statins are, I don't want to get started on one unless the need is dire. I've been meaning to lose weight, so might as well start now.

This is going to suck.

Is there a weight loss thread somewhere? :)

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Linac broke today. Not looking forward to tomorrow morning, I hate going in to work not knowing if we're going to be clinical or not.

On the other hand, got a super hot dress for our work party Friday. Whee!

Bé Chuille on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Doctor tried to put me on Zocor yesterday because my triglycerides are borderline high.

I politely declined by saying I would try adjusting my diet first. As much crap is going around about how iffy statins are, I don't want to get started on one unless the need is dire. I've been meaning to lose weight, so might as well start now.

This is going to suck.

Is there a weight loss thread somewhere? :)

@Beltaine http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/189482/weight-loss-and-fitness-repent-for-swimsuit-season-is-nigh#latest :)

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Yesterday I got the shipment of book donations for my school library from @‌DaMoonRulz

Got the Runaways already processed and checked out. The Warhammer stuff had to have records created and for some reason only Galaxy in Flames had an easily obtained MARC record.

So I got that one processed as I await records to be created for the rest. We stick a colored sticker on book series and put numbers on them. I made the number 3 for this book in the style of the Dark Angels Space Marine Chapter.

t7e3yrc0n9yt.jpg

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Aaaahhh! Accepted a job offer and I start Monday! With a major pay increase! So excited and nervous at the same time!

Slight update: I now actually start on Tuesday, but because my last day at my current job is on Friday, I get a three day weekend!

JMan711 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Okay, so I decided to try and quit smoking; only one day so far and I've gone from most of a pack to less than half a pack.

To take the place of cigarettes, I've got it down to a choice between heroin and some kind of healthy snack like dried fruit or wheat crackers. Since HEB doesn't carry heroin, I guess I'll be getting snacks.

Yes this

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    or says that something-they-could-have-done-different when they called one of my co-workers a bitch is to have called her a dumb floozy cunt instead

How do you keep a straight face after this?

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    deep breath, bite down slightly on the inside of my lower lip, raise my eyebrows

now it looks like I'm judging the child and trying to refrain from cussing them out, rather than trying to keep myself from laughing

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    In my case if a student did this around me I'd just pick up the walkie-talkie and call security. They are not getting away with shit like that.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    treatment center kids...at the time of that specific incident, i was security

I mean, i obviously advocated through his treatment team, case manager, and therapist for extended detention time, apology letter, suspension, etc., but you'd be amazed how badly your hands are tied with these high-risk kids in a classroom setting

the cops take it incredibly personally if they have to show up to resolve, and the parents usually have them here to get the hell away from them, so they're rarely gonna pick up a phone call to come get their out of control teen who they can't control

you approach it wrong and you end up tying up a staff all day just to keep the kid supervised and not committing property damage or trying to cause a mutiny in the other classrooms

mrpaku on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Christmas party was pretty sweet. Best view i've seen of the city yet. Pretty good steak. Two drink tickets, for some pretty nice cocktails. 25$ target card. Comedian. Though the comedian did make a cold war joke and a Jetsons joke, but I hear he used to be a pretty big name back in the day.

Overall, pretty great. A++ would party again.

Who was the comedian?

I don't recall. I'll ask my boss tomorrow.

Today I am stuffing about 1100 envelopes with holiday cards.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »

Yes this

Newegg fucked up my Cyber Monday order; if I still have my contract after New Year's Day, I might bribe you and @Bohlder with Alamo Draft House in exchange for a trip to Micro Center ...

Because fuck Fry's.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Yeah - the hospital/treatment environment is a very different world than the general classroom. My wife's classroom for example can't use regular pencils because they will always end up stealing the metal that holds the erasers and using them for self-harm or threatening others...so she has to use golf pencils for almost everything. Even staples have been stolen by kids trying to get them back to their rooms.

She's had desks and chairs thrown, been called many terrible things, and the nursing staff have been physically beaten up by students while security runs down the hall trying to stop things. It's a stressful job for a teacher - but the flip side is that she has less meetings and paperwork than a classroom special ed teacher, she can't bring much work home with her due to HIPAA, and pretty great job security because no one wants to take her job (the prior teacher lasted 2 weeks). Also, the added bonus is if a kid bugs her too much, chances are they'll be out of the hospital within weeks :)

It makes me nervous some days though - like when she has stories of a male nurse getting the crap beat out of him by a large teenager. Fortunately she's never personally been in real danger so far.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014

Yes this

Newegg fucked up my Cyber Monday order; if I still have my contract after New Year's Day, I might bribe you and @Bohlder with Alamo Draft House in exchange for a trip to Micro Center ...

Because fuck Fry's.

I live so close to microcenter. Come down and we'll get stuff.

rhylith on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Work just called with an urgent issue, as I'm almost off the train. I can deal with it at home, but why do these things happen at the end of the day?

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Vent time:

I understand and respect the fact that people need sick time. I once missed two weeks of work with the chicken pox. Sick days exist for a reason. And I understand family emergencies, medical emergencies, etc. But: if a person is going to miss one shift in five for a year, it might be time to discuss alternate work arrangements, like working from home or having a modified work schedule. If a manager has a team where people are absent 15% of the time, the manager needs to have a talk with their people, and not just to excuse and approve all of the absences. If you're an employee and you don't like your shift, I'm really sorry, but you can't just decide on your own accord to work a shift that you prefer. And HR and management are really good about approving special leaves for illnesses, family situations, and things like "my brother just won an all expenses paid trip to the Dominican."

Also, if you're not really tenured, you're not getting the December 22, 23, and 24 off - though we'll give you the 25th and 26th off, and we'll let you leave early on the 24th assuming that business needs are able to be met.

I don't think that I'm making unreasonable demands here.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I don't know why people keep asking me the same questions and expecting the answer to somehow magically have changed.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MadEddy wrote: »
    I don't know why people keep asking me the same questions and expecting the answer to somehow magically have changed.

Why do people keep asking you the same questions and expecting the answer to magically change?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Why do people keep asking you the same questions and expecting the answer to magically change?

I hate it when people keep asking you the same questions expecting the answer to magically change, don't you?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Got a ticket escalated to me today as an emergency, lawyer couldn't send a dictation to his assistant and urgently needed to. tier 1 tech had already had him check the cables, but said the dictation was being detected as a USB drive and the dictation software wasn't picking it up.

Called the user, connected to their computer. Started the dictation software, asked the user to plug in the device. Dictation downloaded and sent successfully.

Vented to my boss a bit, he asked if there was a knowledge base article the tier 1 tech could have referred to.

I'm not sure if I'm capable writing an article that amounts to "if a piece of software isn't working, make sure it's actually running" without coming across as condescending.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular

Yes this

Newegg fucked up my Cyber Monday order; if I still have my contract after New Year's Day, I might bribe you and Bohlder with Alamo Draft House in exchange for a trip to Micro Center ...

Because fuck Fry's.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Options
    Fun fact. We totally ruined a kid's life today.

He was acting all strange and trying to sign into the library without a pass and one of my para's smelled marijuana on him. Like reeking of it. An administrator was walking through and she told him, he leans over, smells him, "okay let's go," he says.

Kid had a warm pipe and weed on him.

Probably not how that kid thought his day was going to end when he woke up that morning.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Words

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm capable writing an article that amounts to "if a piece of software isn't working, make sure it's actually running" without coming across as condescending.

As long as it's phrased in a really passive-aggressive way, nobody will be able to say that was actually your intention.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

He was acting all strange and trying to sign into the library without a pass and one of my para's smelled marijuana on him. Like reeking of it. An administrator was walking through and she told him, he leans over, smells him, "okay let's go," he says.

Probably not how that kid thought his day was going to end when he woke up that morning.

I typed out and then deleted 3-4 responses to this, but the notion that whether or not his life is really ruined almost certainly depends on how white he is is a sad fact, and all of the bitter jokes that came to mind felt really inappropriate.

• Options

I typed out and then deleted 3-4 responses to this, but the notion that whether or not his life is really ruined almost certainly depends on how white he is is a sad fact, and all of the bitter jokes that came to mind felt really inappropriate.

This is true. Also very sad.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Stop being daft

Work on your draft

ing skills liiya, they are important.

I have just realised

is this because technical drawings of plans are called draftings some places?

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I hate it when people keep asking you the same questions expecting the answer to magically change, don't you?

wait a minute. so what you are saying... is that people keep asking the same questions...but the answer doesn't change?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Got a ticket escalated to me today as an emergency, lawyer couldn't send a dictation to his assistant and urgently needed to. tier 1 tech had already had him check the cables, but said the dictation was being detected as a USB drive and the dictation software wasn't picking it up.

Called the user, connected to their computer. Started the dictation software, asked the user to plug in the device. Dictation downloaded and sent successfully.

Vented to my boss a bit, he asked if there was a knowledge base article the tier 1 tech could have referred to.

At that point, you might as well embrace it Fear.

Step 1) Did you plug it in? If Yes, see step 2.

Step 2) Did you turn it on, numbnuts?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Stop being daft

Work on your draft

I have just realised

yep
    blake's an engineer
    i.e. a big nerd

• Options
    Tam wrote: »
    Stop being daft

Work on your draft

I have just realised

yep
    blake's an engineer
    i.e. a big nerd

ohhhhhh

we just call them technical drawings because we are not as clever as engineers!

• Options
    Tam wrote: »
    Stop being daft

Work on your draft

I have just realised

yep
    blake's an engineer
    i.e. a big nerd

ohhhhhh

we just call them technical drawings because we are not as clever as engineers!

What do you call drafting software. Like CAD?

• Options

What do you call drafting software. Like CAD?

We call them drawing programs. So CAD is a drawing program for technical drawings, or orthographic drawings.

Are you an architect Jebus? I think you are, I remember talking to you about it once?

This discussion has been closed.