As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I spent 90 hours at the [job] thread last week and all I got was this lousy paycheck

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So the president announced December 26 to be a day off for federal workers, just got a work email announcing it to my specific department. Wooo holiday 4 day weekend! thanks Obama!

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    I might have accidentally gotten myself forced into a committee because I kept correcting really stupid people in a meeting.

Damn it.

No mercy, Sass.

Get in there and wrest control over that committee, show them how weakness fails them.

No mercy.

Well, apparently this is one of those committees that is controlled by one person and no one has the willingness to argue against them because they will never change their mind over anything. And most of the people in this training were all people on this special committee and they didn't think any outsiders should have the same powers that they did.

And I think they underestimate just how little I mind being obnoxious. So my speaking up and arguing with them every time they tried to push for something ended up getting me noticed by everyone in the room. And now my boss has heard about it and is going to force me to join the committee.

Having the ability to be an unrepentant pain in the ass over not allowing stupidity has gotten me where I am today.

Listen to him, @Sassori, he's pre-med.

What? No. I'm no doctor. I'm just a manager. Of pain.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote: »
    So the president announced December 26 to be a day off for federal workers, just got a work email announcing it to my specific department. Wooo holiday 4 day weekend! thanks Obama!

It isn't usually?

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    lostwords wrote: »

It isn't usually?
    Nah, Christmas Day is, but other days usually aren't. Federal government is strict on what's considered holidays. Obama did something similar two years ago when christmas fell on Tuesday, gave Christmas Eve off for a 4 day weekend, making him my fave

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Wonder if that'll be applied to state workers as well or not.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I work for a state agency and we had thanksgiving and the friday after off and we will have christmas day and the following day off as well
    also january 1st and 2nd

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I found out today that I get December 24th off paid, and get my bonus on Friday's check. So everything's coming up Zimbra!

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    My train was delayed so instead of my usual hour and a half commute home, it's going to be two hours. My new job will have a 25 minute commute.

Unless this counter offer involves a huge pay rise I think it's fair to say I'm off.

The new salary and difference in travel costs means my current employer need to a offer 21% pay rise just to be in contention.

When I told my manager that, he was actually speechless.

Felt kinda bad. He's a good guy but senior management are fucking useless. They're really good at promising things but not delivering. You'd have thought when the 6 people before me jumped ship in the space of a year they'd have done something. But nope.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Have a Dirty Santa event coming up for the cool kids in IT this weekend, and I finally found what my present will be thanks to the break room's "free stuff" table:

Kinda large so spoilers:
    18ysxt6g3o0p.jpg

I wrote in them! In the book at left:
    "This sweeping tale of love in Regency Era Britain reminded me of of my far-off admiration for your incomparable beauty.

Sorry about your mother's passing.

-A Friend"

And the book at right:
    "Your smoldering eyes,
    Like chestnuts roasting on an open fire.
    Open your heart to love.
    You are a dove.
    I will be the knight
    To sweep you off your feet.
    Get down to the beat.

-Secret Admirer"

Bonus fun fact: my phone's camera software was totes doing the face-finder autofocus on the redhead lady.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Dear university

stop emailing me about the RIBA, architect of the year, Rossant Awards, building things.

I don't do buildings

I don't

do

BUILDINGS.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Dear university

stop emailing me about the RIBA, architect of the year, Rossant Awards, building things.

I don't do buildings

I don't

do

BUILDINGS.

Do treehouses fall in your purview?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    What about Gazebos?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I had my last day at the zoo today. I had to say goodbye to the group of awesome old ladies I've worked with for a year and a half. Which would have been sad enough, but combined with hearing this morning that my gran's had a stroke she won't be waking up from, it was pretty fucking rough.

They gave me some going away gifts. A few animal and zoo themed things, and then this:

xTJ7HZ8.jpg

I only just noticed this is magnetic. That makes it a thousand times better.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Dear university

I don't do buildings

I don't

do

BUILDINGS.

Son, you are cruisin' for a bruisin'.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    JayKaos wrote: »
    What about Gazebos?

I attack the gazebo.
    Madican wrote: »

I work for a state agency and we had thanksgiving and the friday after off and we will have christmas day and the following day off as well
    also january 1st and 2nd

Gonna check with my supervisor to see if word's reached here yet, though hopefully it has since it'll mean one less 8 hour chunk out of my PTO.

Madican on
  • Options
    Dear university

I don't do buildings

I don't

do

BUILDINGS.

That would be a building RoadVirus,

albeit in a tree.

Do you know what I don't do?

Buildings.

• Options
    What about Gazebos?

I THINK YOU'LL FIND THAT A BUILDING JAY

FOUR WALLS

A ROOF?

YEAH LOOKS LIKE A BUILDING TO ME!

• Options
    (sometimes they don't have 4 walls)

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    What about Gazebos?

FOUR WALLS

A ROOF?

So you like... do hedges or what? Rock paths? Tulip gardens?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    What about Gazebos?

FOUR WALLS

A ROOF?

SORT OF

I guess. Sure!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    She specializes in the Labyrinths.

She's got the power.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    This has been a surprisingly difficult day; approximately two-thirds of my workload has been correcting the mistakes of processors much more senior than myself.

I wonder how I should bill that particular skillset on my resume ....

• Options
    What about Gazebos?

FOUR WALLS

A ROOF?

SORT OF

I guess. Sure!

No seriously though. I am curious what all Landscape Architecture entails.

Also, do you get to drive a skid steer?

• Options
    The power of voodoo.

A labyrinth would technically be my field, so yeh.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    This has been a surprisingly difficult day; approximately two-thirds of my workload has been correcting the mistakes of processors much more senior than myself.

"I am highly proficient at cleaning up the whoopsies of idiot man-children."

Madican on
  • Options
    Dear university

I don't do buildings

I don't

do

BUILDINGS.

That would be a building RoadVirus,

albeit in a tree.

Do you know what I don't do?

Buildings.

Ok, ok.
    Ok.
    Now hear me out on this one:
    What about bushes, right?
    But like tall, and turned into walls. And a roof. And divided into rooms.
    Where do hedge houses fall?
    Also what about hobbit holes?

• Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    So one of our glorious new hires in the leadership program was fired.

Asked a co-worker out on a date. She told him she was already married (for ten years...). He replies that her husband will never know just tell him you are working late. She shuts him down.

Well... he continues to ask her out on an almost daily basis. Nothing is done to him because he is in the leadership program and it would look bad on the program if they fired someone in it. Finally they fired him after he grabbed her butt and chest while telling her she really would enjoy a date with him.

I'm so fed up with how the leadership kids here are treated (outsized salaries, no rules apply to them attitude). I've seen them come in hopped up on pills, drunk, ignore their supervisors instructions. They always get away with it because they are 'leadership kids' and the people running the program have enough stroke to protect them.

• Options

That's the one I'm curious about

• Options

I had to google that! No sadly not, thats left to the contractors/builders.

LA is street designs, urban drainage, flood defenses, town square designs, traffic infrastructure designs, public spaces designs, parks, schools, playgrounds, forest management, conservation of green spaces, hospital garden designs. There are many things!!

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Oh what the hell. Where's my what the hell button.
    [edit] In response to @dasnoob‌

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    dasnoob wrote: »

Asked a co-worker out on a date. She told him she was already married (for ten years...). He replies that her husband will never know just tell him you are working late. She shuts him down.

Well... he continues to ask her out on an almost daily basis. Nothing is done to him because he is in the leadership program and it would look bad on the program if they fired someone in it. Finally they fired him after he grabbed her butt and chest while telling her she really would enjoy a date with him.

I'm so fed up with how the leadership kids here are treated (outsized salaries, no rules apply to them attitude). I've seen them come in hopped up on pills, drunk, ignore their supervisors instructions. They always get away with it because they are 'leadership kids' and the people running the program have enough stroke to protect them.

Is "leadership program" code for the company president hired them because they went to the same frat?

• Options

That would be a building my dear.

I saw a book the other day that was "landscape architecture of ski slopes" and thought "screw that, hell no".

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    So I was successful and I'm gonna be a permanent government employee.

I hope it's somewhere I don't have to deal with the general public.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options

That would be a building my dear.

I saw a book the other day that was "landscape architecture of ski slopes" and thought "screw that, hell no".

She called us a dear.
    :D

Anyway yeah @dasnoob Roland the groper needs to have his throat punched.
    That "oh he doesn't need to know" thing is super sleazy in and of itself and then he gets handsy?
    Ugh. What a garbage human being.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    dasnoob wrote: »

Well... he continues to ask her out on an almost daily basis. Finally they fired him after he grabbed her butt and chest while telling her she really would enjoy a date with him.
    vomiting everywhere

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    It feels really good to not have to worry about looking for work after this contract is up.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular

Unfucker of other fuckers' clusterfucks.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    In other news, I'm drinking a tea which has peppermint and dark chocolate chips in it.

It is absolutely lovely.

• Options

LA is street designs, urban drainage, flood defenses, town square designs, traffic infrastructure designs, public spaces designs, parks, schools, playgrounds, forest management, conservation of green spaces, hospital garden designs. There are many things!!

That's interesting. I've heard that referred to as civic architecture here. So it isn't strictly landscaping in the sense of just ground and plants. It may contain structures. Sounds like gazebo might fall in there then.

So when my traffic light doesn't change for 5 minutes to turn across traffic, with no one coming in the middle of the night, do I complain to you?

• Options

That's interesting. I've heard that referred to as civic architecture here. So it isn't strictly landscaping in the sense of just ground and plants. It may contain structures. Sounds like gazebo might fall in there then.

So when my traffic light doesn't change for 5 minutes to turn across traffic, with no one coming in the middle of the night, do I complain to you?

Oh my bad! Planting is integral in most of those! The ones I've bolded will usually contain some sort of planting scheme. So if you're designing a public space you'll look at who uses it, why, the functions, what you need, how it can be improved to help the environment, fill multiple functions (public activities, a meeting space, a cross through, a wayfinding space, aesthetically pleasing, increase culture, increase the community feeling). Planting may be in the form of simple street trees or raised landforms or flowered/green beds. Greenery makes people happy and unless a space is used specifically for functions where its not possible (like an outdoor music theater/performance space) its often used as it makes people happy.

“Landscape architecture is rooted in an understanding of how the environment works and what makes each place unique. It is a blend of science and art, vision and thought.” <---- Apparently.

This discussion has been closed.