Options

NINTENDO 3DS: THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I dislike buying digitally because A. You don't actually own the game you own a conditional liscense for it's use and B. because I like filling up my 18 game card case.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    While I can at least respect the honest reasoning they give, it still comes off to me as screwing over the niche base that's keeping you in business in the first place.

They've shown that they'll drop the price after a time though, so I'm fine with waiting. I just hope they're ok with that. If they ever come out and say they're in trouble, or that they have to keep raising prices because nobody is buying the games at launch... I've got my tiny violin prepped to play.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Isn't Atlus pretty good at putting their digital games on sale after they've been out for a while?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Digital and physical tend to share the same price because if digital was cheaper, without being on sale, then retailers would throw a tantrum and refuse to stock it. Contrary to popular opinion, many people do not have great Internet to be capable of downloading a many GB file in a reasonable amount of time. I know I sure didn't prior to upgrading my Internet. A lot of people don't have that option. So they'd be unable to play the game at all.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    It's really only worth it if you can't find the game physically. I keep 1 or 2 games on the system and keep everything else physical.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I'm glad that both digital or physical are an optoin, but I personally buy as many games digitally as possible. I don't love nintendo's DRM approach in that it is something that no sane person should have ever come up with, but whatever, it is what it is. I'd rather have 10 games on an SD card than 10 game cards.

I'm pretty sure the last physical game I bought for it was MarioKart7, and that stays in my system for the odd time I want to play it, and also to keep dust off the contacts. I have a few other card based games but don't often plug them in.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I'm glad that both digital or physical are an optoin, but I personally buy as many games digitally as possible. I don't love nintendo's DRM approach in that it is something that no sane person should have ever come up with, but whatever, it is what it is. I'd rather have 10 games on an SD card than 10 game cards.

I'm pretty sure the last physical game I bought for it was MarioKart7, and that stays in my system for the odd time I want to play it, and also to keep dust off the contacts. I have a few other card based games but don't often plug them in.

You're like the anti-me

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular

You're like the anti-me

It really is amazing how big the divide is. I know people that won't pick up a system if the Digital cost(s, including storage space) isn't reasonable, whereas I i) play game, ii) finish game, iii) shelf game until step one comes around. No fuss, no muss. Personally, I do prefer "evergreen" titles digitally simply so I can throwdown in Smash or curse at Mario Kart without having to swap discs from my game du jour, but that's a bonus.

Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Litany wrote: »

You're like the anti-me

It really is amazing how big the divide is. I know people that won't pick up a system if the Digital cost(s, including storage space) isn't reasonable, whereas I i) play game, ii) finish game, iii) shelf game until step one comes around. No fuss, no muss. Personally, I do prefer "evergreen" titles digitally simply so I can throwdown in Smash or curse at Mario Kart without having to swap discs from my game du jour, but that's a bonus.

What's funny is I'm kind of a hybrid. On PC and Xbone I go digital only and sing it's praises all day long. With 3DS there is a level of intimacy present with physical copies that doesn't exist with other platforms. I guess it has something to do with childhood memories of owning Nintendo games. That kind of nostalgia doesn't exist for Xbox.With PC games it's purely a convenience thing. That's basically the only way to get new content(going digital) coughsteamcough.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really should finish Etrian Odyssey Untold if two is really coming to NA

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

You better get started.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I dislike buying digitally because A. You don't actually own the game you own a conditional liscense for it's use and B. because I like filling up my 18 game card case.

You have less than 18 3DS games? o.O

Do you need recommendations? There's plenty.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

You better get started.

I am
    Animal Crossing took that time I was playing it over

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular

I have nine. And I have the Club Nintendo 18-game case and two small four-game cases that came with an accessory pack.

What I don't have is disposable income.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    I think I have at least 18 on the 3ds alone
    A few weeks ago at work I showed what background I had on my machine and they remarked it would drive them insane to have that many games
    I told them I cannot play some of them at work because I don't have the time to.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Just did a quick count, I own 30 3DS games (not counting VC stuff or free games like Pokemon Shuffle). I've never owned more for any other system, and the 3DS' lifespan isn't even close to being over.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Techncially, even if you have a physical copy you own a conditional license as well.

Personally, I now prefer digital for the reason you like physical. I don't want to carry a case around with me. Pocket space is already at a premium. With digital, I can pop my 3DS into my pocket and have all my games on tap.
    Madican wrote: »
    Digital and physical tend to share the same price because if digital was cheaper, without being on sale, then retailers would throw a tantrum and refuse to stock it. Contrary to popular opinion, many people do not have great Internet to be capable of downloading a many GB file in a reasonable amount of time. I know I sure didn't prior to upgrading my Internet. A lot of people don't have that option. So they'd be unable to play the game at all.

Retailers should eat it. There's a cost associated with manufacturing and distribution that doesn't exist with digital. Those savings should be passed along to the consumer and one of these days, hopefully soon, a class action lawsuit will make that so.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Personally, I now prefer digital for the reason you like physical. I don't want to carry a case around with me. Pocket space is already at a premium. With digital, I can pop my 3DS into my pocket and have all my games on tap.

I've never wished I had a different game with me than what's already in my 3DS. My small carrying case has room for 2 other cartridges and that's already more than I need. If I'm going to a friend's house to play Monster Hunter then I take Monster Hunter with me, same for Mario Kart etc. If I absolutely do not want to play the game that's already in my system then I have my 20 ambassador games, some VC games, some smaller digital titles like Gunman Clive or VVVVVV.

I dunno, it's just not a big deal to put a different cartridge in.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    I'm creeping closer to a dozen games with my new copies of MH4U and Alpha Sapphire, but I've been neglecting my 3DS for a long time. I remember being shocked a while back that Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was already out, only because I stopped paying attention to anything but Steam and console gaming. So yeah, as soon as I've had my fill of poaching and enslaved animal blood sport, I'll be checking out that list of "Great 3DS games that you should totally own". At least my New3DS is getting some love, though: my lonely little Vita hasn't been played since I beat Persona 4 Golden.

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I just want to stop accumulating boxes and everything that comes with it unless it is some kind of collector's edition or something with merchandise. The entire digital library following me around is also a creature comfort.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I don't really have a problem with digital on other platforms. Between PS+ freebies and great sales, I've accumulated a huge digital library across PS3/4/Vita. But I really do dislike how Nintendo handles it. As a result, I go physical whenever possible, and I don't buy any multi-platform indie games on Nintendo systems (I've passed on Teslagrad and Shovel Knight because I'd rather wait until they're on PS).

• Options
    yea, part of my want for more digital things is that I'm really trying to reduce my accumulation of "stuff" (amiibos seem to be the recent exception to the rule). I spent way too long collectiing too many things that I thought would be aweseome forever only to throw it out after realizing that I don't really need it.

My recent barometer with tangible things is pretty simple: If i were to move cross country, or even cross town tomorrow would I want to take the effort to pack this and take it with me. If the answer is no, and it's not something I need/use regularly, it gets thrown out/donated/sold/removed from my life. Game boxes aren't much different for that. I owned probably 40 or so 460 games on disc at peak. Now, I have that down to about 10 or so sitting on my shelf, and those are mostly kept for display/sentimental reasons, not as much that I'll play them again. Hell, if I really wanted to I could now even get rid of my halo 1-4 discs now that i have the Master Chief Collection for Xbone. Things like that.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    If you guys actually worked on a well made professional localization project, you'd gladly pay what Atlus charges for digital games.
    The kind of money they spend on localization is more than worth 50 bucks.

and physical isn't even an option for me. even 50 bucks is cheap compared to imported US cartridges. And those physical games are only gonna get more expensive now that there's no more Nintendo in Brasil.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I only have five 3DS games - I bought it for Kingdom Hearts, and I've added Code of Princess, Dead or Alive, Spirit Camera and Senran Kagura. I'll make it six when Project Mirai comes out.

The original DS was probably my #1 system last generation, but most of the sorts of games I played on it have either gone to mobile or are stuck behind region locking.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I have 4. 6 if I count the free ones I've gotten digitally. But I have 350+ Steam games.
    Ianator wrote: »

I have nine. And I have the Club Nintendo 18-game case and two small four-game cases that came with an accessory pack.

What I don't have is disposable income.

This, basically. If I was out of the house more, and 3DS games cost in the same range as Steam games, I'd have more of them. What I have right now, more or less, is a wishlist, and a desire for more demos. ;)

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I've been trying to buy physical as much as possible because, (a) Physical cartridges go on sale more often and, (b) I don't trust that Nintendo will let me redownload my 3DS games from the eShop on a new used 3DS in a decade or two.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I think I have a problem. I've got about 30 digital retail games and more than 20 physical.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I think I have a problem. I've got about 30 digital retail games and more than 20 physical.

you sir do not have a problem. You are Nintendo's solution.

• Options

you sir do not have a problem. You are Nintendo's solution.

Our digital overlord agrees!

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options

Right in the nostalgia.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

Nice.

If I wasn't more of a Genesis man back in the day, I'd go with this skin over the NES skin.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Right in the nostalgia.

I get a bizarre feeling looking at that because the way the outside is painted and the colors of the buttons all say Super Famicom (complete with the logo!), but then there's the North American "SUPER NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM" written somewhere on it with nary a trace of the SNES's purple.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »

Right in the nostalgia.

I get a bizarre feeling looking at that because the way the outside is painted and the colors of the buttons all say Super Famicom (complete with the logo!), but then there's the North American "SUPER NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM" written somewhere on it with nary a trace of the SNES's purple.

Well Europe got the rainbow buttons and Famicom design, but it was called the SNES over there.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I've always like the two famicoms better than the nintendos.
    The SNES is particularly ugly when compared to the Super Famicom.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Eh, Europe and Australia's SNES looked just like the Super Famicom. As a European, I'd say the Purple SNES is the odd one out.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    l_g wrote: »

Right in the nostalgia.

Well Europe got the rainbow buttons and Famicom design, but it was called the SNES over there.

Correct, that's what my SNES looks like.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Got my first 3ds in December (best xmas present ever) and I've already got the case half full. But sure, I could always use more recommendations. I have:
    FE: Awakening
    MH4U
    MM3D
    OoT3D
    ALBW
    Smash
    Alpha Saphire
    Ace combat
    phoenix wright vs prof layton

I like strategy, arpg, rpg,fighting games, not big into puzzle games although I liked PW V PL and lumines back in the day. I used to think Tetris was a game where you tried to build a building and didnt understand why blocks kept dissapearing. So go ahead suggest away.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Rune Factory 4 and Fantasy Life might interest you.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Got my first 3ds in December (best xmas present ever) and I've already got the case half full. But sure, I could always use more recommendations. I have:
    FE: Awakening
    MH4U
    MM3D
    OoT3D
    ALBW
    Smash
    Alpha Saphire
    Ace combat
    phoenix wright vs prof layton

I like strategy, arpg, fighting games, not big into puzzle games althoufh I liked PW V PL and lumines back in the day. I ussd to think Twtris was a game where you tried to build a building and didnt understand why blocks kept dissapearing. So go ahead suggest away.

Codename steam in 2 days, give the demo a shake :)