As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NINTENDO 3DS: THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I dislike buying digitally because A. You don't actually own the game you own a conditional liscense for it's use and B. because I like filling up my 18 game card case.

You have less than 18 3DS games? o.O

Do you need recommendations? There's plenty.

Got my first 3ds in December (best xmas present ever) and I've already got the case half full. But sure, I could always use more recommendations. I have:
    FE: Awakening
    MH4U
    MM3D
    OoT3D
    ALBW
    Smash
    Alpha Saphire
    Ace combat
    phoenix wright vs prof layton

I like strategy, arpg, fighting games, not big into puzzle games althoufh I liked PW V PL and lumines back in the day. I ussd to think Twtris was a game where you tried to build a building and didnt understand why blocks kept dissapearing. So go ahead suggest away.

Codename steam in 2 days, give the demo a shake :)

Already have, love it.

Oh and Shovel Knight. I've got shovel knight. I had Fantasy Life and ended up trading it to a friend. I do plan on getting it back though.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I dislike buying digitally because A. You don't actually own the game you own a conditional liscense for it's use and B. because I like filling up my 18 game card case.

You have less than 18 3DS games? o.O

Do you need recommendations? There's plenty.

Got my first 3ds in December (best xmas present ever) and I've already got the case half full. But sure, I could always use more recommendations. I have:
    FE: Awakening
    MH4U
    MM3D
    OoT3D
    ALBW
    Smash
    Alpha Saphire
    Ace combat
    phoenix wright vs prof layton

I like strategy, arpg, rpg,fighting games, not big into puzzle games although I liked PW V PL and lumines back in the day. I used to think Tetris was a game where you tried to build a building and didnt understand why blocks kept dissapearing. So go ahead suggest away.

Let's see what I can think of via a combination of off-hand recollection and very very lazy gamefaq category scanning.

I see a distinct lack of Bravely Default. I would fix that.

If first-person dungeon crawlers are your bag, you can also check out Etrian Odyssey: Untold(as mentioned several times in the thread already), or SMT: Soul Hackers.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked is a must-get. The 3DS "remaster" of Devil Survivor 2 is coming out in about two months, keep an eye out for that.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is also very solid(doing post-game stuff will drive you up a fucking wall though).

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team is a good choice. It's solid as you can expect from a Mario/Luigi RPG to be, but keep in mind that the story does run quite a bit longer than it really needs to - it can run you up to 50 hours. (can't say you won't get your money's worth though)

I hear Grinsia finally had all of the crash bugs patched out so it may be something to look at. (eShop only title)

If the Harvest Moon games were ever your interest, Story of Seasons comes out at the end of the month. It's the newest Harvest Moon made by the same group, just with a different name because blah-blah licensing issues. (one company holds the rights to the name Harvest Moon, and another company has the actual team that made Harvest Moon. And they don't get along right now.)

If you also like simple Solomon's Key style floor-to-floor puzzle platformers, Witch's Cat is a good one (and is also criminally adorable)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Once I get a 3DS, I am happy that it seems that most of the games I want have been released digitally. Not a fan of ye olde days when some games got low print runs.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    What is Grinsia?

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Mario and Luigi Dream team is really good. I never finished the story because yea it's super super long butI put 30 hours into it and that was well worth the investment. I actually still go back to it maybe a couple times a year and play it for an hour or so. I've always loved the mechanics of the M&L games.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    What is Grinsia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QgIAUrlsZQ

Haven't played it myself

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I feel obligated to recommend Pushmo and Crashmo, even though they are puzzle games.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    What is Grinsia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QgIAUrlsZQ

Haven't played it myself

Not bad looking, but are those Zelda assets I see in that trailer? The chest is definitely the same.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    What is Grinsia?

Haven't played it myself

Wow, I think I have to get this! I didn't much care for Bravely Default when I first played it because I wanted it to be exactly like an SNES-era Final Fantasy game, but I should really give that another try, too.

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I feel obligated to recommend Pushmo and Crashmo, even though they are puzzle games.

But with platforming! Pushmo is delightful, abit super easy for the first hundred levels.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Well, here's my personal 3DS game list. I still need to grab Majora's Mask, Codename: Steam. and perhaps convince myself to get Rune Factory 4 sometime. The new Etrian Odyessey will be a sure pickup as well.
    Action:
    Adventure Time
    Code of Princess
    Kid Icarus: Uprising
    Resident Evil: Revelations
    Senran Kagura: Burst
    Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    Zelda: Orarina of Time 3D

Fighting:
    Dead or Alive: Dimensions
    Smash Bros 4

Hunting:
    Monster Hunter 4

Platformer:
    Super Mario 3D Land

ARPGs:
    Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance

RPGs:
    Bravely Default
    Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
    Inazuma Eleven
    Pokemon Y
    Shin Megami Tensei IV
    Tales of the Abyss

DRPGs:
    Etrain Odyessey 4
    Etrian Odyessey Untold
    Persona Q

SRPGs:
    Devil Durvivor Overclocked
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Project X Zone

Racing:
    Mario Kart 7

Rhythm:
    Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy & Curtain Call

eShop:
    Pushmo + Crashmo
    Mighty Switch Force 1 & 2
    Liberation Maiden
    Crimson Shroud
    VVVVVV
    Shantae + Shantae: Risky's Revenge
    (Some Virtual Console)

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Codename Steam interested me with the idea of steampunk, but having my soldiers be literary characters of books I hated having shoved down my throat sunk all chances of me playing it. Also locking the FE characters to the Amiibos, without bringing out those NFC cards, is not doing it any favors.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Oh yea and mario kart 7. I knew I was leaving one out. I have that too.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    There have been rumblings around the interwebz that a Nintendo Direct is imminent. Also apparently there is a ghost link on Gamestops website for a LE Xenoblade N3DSXL. Allegedly it's an xl version of the faceplates recently announced in Europe. Grains of salt and all that but this is exciting news for those holding out for a LE system.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Pls jesus let Canada get more than 12

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    There have been rumblings around the interwebz that a Nintendo Direct is imminent. Also apparently there is a ghost link on Gamestops website for a LE Xenoblade N3DSXL. Allegedly it's an xl version of the faceplates recently announced in Europe. Grains of salt and all that but this is exciting news for those holding out for a LE system.

Oh fuck. If thats true argh after havingto replace my 3ds

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Damnit I have to check this thread more often. The new 3DS XL cradle is sold out already. Did they make it out of Amiibo material? Unicorn blood?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Damnit I have to check this thread more often. The new 3DS XL cradle is sold out already. Did they make it out of Amiibo material? Unicorn blood?

I thought it was back in stock already. It's down again?

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    As far as I can tell here

• Options
    edited March 2015
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    As far as I can tell here

Hmm damnit i was just about to order it. Oh well I guess I'll just wait till it shows up in stores. That shipping tax is cray cray anyways.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Polaritie wrote: »

Oh fuck. If thats true argh after havingto replace my 3ds

Maybe you could return it? This is all rumor at this point, maybe Gamestop will do a trade in program like it did at release? Who knows it may not happen at all. I guess we'll know for sure the closer it gets to release. If it does happen I feel your pain. I bought a Smash bros edition 3ds 15 days before the new was announced for NA.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Techncially, even if you have a physical copy you own a conditional license as well.

Personally, I now prefer digital for the reason you like physical. I don't want to carry a case around with me. Pocket space is already at a premium. With digital, I can pop my 3DS into my pocket and have all my games on tap.
    Madican wrote: »
    Digital and physical tend to share the same price because if digital was cheaper, without being on sale, then retailers would throw a tantrum and refuse to stock it. Contrary to popular opinion, many people do not have great Internet to be capable of downloading a many GB file in a reasonable amount of time. I know I sure didn't prior to upgrading my Internet. A lot of people don't have that option. So they'd be unable to play the game at all.

Retailers should eat it. There's a cost associated with manufacturing and distribution that doesn't exist with digital. Those savings should be passed along to the consumer and one of these days, hopefully soon, a class action lawsuit will make that so.

It's been a while, but I think I remember a PSP game that was released to retail with various bonuses included-- not even pre-order bonuses, just stuff that came with it-- for less than the bare bones digital download.

As for me, I prefer physical unless it's a "long tail" sort of game that I might play a little bit of per day before playing something else, like your Animal Crossings or Tomodachi Lifes. Anything with a quicker pick-up-and-play factor, really. Longer, more involved games that I'll probably put down for a good while after finishing, I prefer physical.

Unfortunately, I'm often at the mercy of whatever the publisher gives me for review stuff, and guess what they're going with more and more? It's a move that was easy to predict, but it's eating away at my 32GB 3DS storage like no tomorrow-- at least my Wii U is abundant for now. As for 3DS, you can get a 64GB microSD for it, right? You just have to format it on a computer?

That aside, I don't entirely mind... I find I'm more likely to go from game to game like I did as a kid when they're all loaded on a system... probably because Game Cards are really small and discs are really delicate, so just letting them sit around for a while until I can properly put them away never seems like a good idea.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Physical and digital have such an amazing synergy, only a goofball would want to turf one for the sake of the other. You have the flexibility of the physical format, being able to do whatever you want with it. And in the situation where you can't find a game physically, rather than be completely screwed out of the game, you've always got digital as a backup.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Physical and digital have such an amazing synergy, only a goofball would want to turf one for the sake of the other. You have the flexibility of the physical format, being able to do whatever you want with it. And in the situation where you can't find a game physically, rather than be completely screwed out of the game, you've always got digital as a backup.

And until someone figures out a way to prevent physical resale in a way that doesn't make people flip out, we're stuck with paying twice if we want all of the advantages.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    As for 3DS, you can get a 64GB microSD for it, right? You just have to format it on a computer?

Just had to look this up myself, as my 64GB card came in today, found this halfway down the first page of this thread:
    If your computer's OS can't reformat SD cards to FAT32 try using the SD Formatter application:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Nintendo's support webpage recommends using this program, since it's apparently the "official" way to format SD Cards.

When formatting, choose the "FULL (OverWrite)" option.

Edit: Christ, this format is taking a LOT of time...

DaringDirk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Does it turn yellow after a few years?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Mine didn't from what I remember
    But it was pretty kept in a bag then in a box when it was not used

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular

You're right. By not devoting to one form over the other, we get benefits of both. Maybe not all the benefits, but most.

Its like a thread I read on Reddit about ending daylight saving time. They were talking back and forth about how DST is advantageous during this time of year, but not during this time of the year. They were basically going in circles about sunlight hours.

I just wanted to chime in: so you guys are suggesting we should shift the time of day by about an hour some months of the year?

• Options
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    As for 3DS, you can get a 64GB microSD for it, right? You just have to format it on a computer?

Just had to look this up myself, as my 64GB card came in today, found this halfway down the first page of this thread:
    If your computer's OS can't reformat SD cards to FAT32 try using the SD Formatter application:

Nintendo's support webpage recommends using this program, since it's apparently the "official" way to format SD Cards.

Well, that finally finished and... formatted in exFAT. Bah.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Fire emblem...

I just started playing last night. i assumed i shouldn't play on the easiest setting, so i bumped up one. i went with casual rather than classic because it seems everyone save scums anyway, though. i'm not totally sure how to set it up.

I also wasn't sure what to do with stats. went with speed up, defense down.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    They don't save scum, they replay the entire level from the start.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Huh. It took less than a minute for me to format a 32gb microSD to FAT32.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    If they release a New 3DS XL SNES edition, but don't put SNES games on the 3DS virtual console, Nintendo is actually just taunting us on purpose.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

Well, kind of the same thing. The only difference is in how much you have to replay. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

Well, kind of the same thing. The only difference is in how much you have to replay. :P

Technically correct.

eQVa6a7.png

But normally you think save scumming means saving with intention to reload right before a fight, choice, or action taken if you don't like the results. We're talking seconds to possibly a few minutes at most being redone precisely so you don't have to redo an entire level/game.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Sorry, I was trying to solicit opinions on what settings to play with. My thought on classic versus casual is that people rarely let their favorite characters die in an impactful way. There are no FF7 levels of event, because you can use the save feature, with a time penalty, to retry. If there isn't a real difference except time cost, classic didn't speak to me personally.

I'm not sure whether I did right by bumping up difficulty or not.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Sorry, I was trying to solicit opinions on what settings to play with. My thought on classic versus casual is that people rarely let their favorite characters die in an impactful way. There are no FF7 levels of event, because you can use the save feature, with a time penalty, to retry. If there isn't a real difference except time cost, classic didn't speak to me personally.

I'm not sure whether I did right by bumping up difficulty or not.

There is no real difference. If characters die, then it turns out they actually didn't, and they are available to use in the next battle as if they hadn't died. It's like Shining Force.

I'd say you made a fine choice. The only sacrifice is your save file is tagged "casual" if you care about being branded. :P

Regardless you should play and enjoy the game! It is very good, lots of strategery and character interaction and leveling up and class changing. Forget about the death stuff and have fun.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    There is one real difference when playing though. Probably the most important thing the permadeath does is it changes how you approach fights, especially when leveling characters since you can't have them fight unbeatable odds knowing they will still gain some experience out of it and be ready to fight in the next level. You might end up spending more time checking ranges to ensure you don't make any careless mistakes that get people killed, and overall it adds a lot of time spent on levels and restarting if the dice hate you or you make a mistake.

Having played through all of Fire Emblem including lunatic, I'm kind of hoping FE:IF will have the option of both Casual and Fixed Stat growth. Lately I want to spend less time fighting RNGesus and more time playing Tactician/Match Maker/God Builder.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    There is one real difference when playing though. Probably the most important thing the permadeath does is it changes how you approach fights, especially when leveling characters since you can't have them fight unbeatable odds knowing they will still gain some experience out of it and be ready to fight in the next level. You might end up spending more time checking ranges to ensure you don't make any careless mistakes that get people killed, and overall it adds a lot of time spent on levels and restarting if the dice hate you or you make a mistake.

Having played through all of Fire Emblem including lunatic, I'm kind of hoping FE:IF will have the option of both Casual and Fixed Stat growth. Lately I want to spend less time fighting RNGesus and more time playing Tactician/Match Maker/God Builder.

Exactly, your approach to battle definitely changes when you don't have to worry about one mistake costing you one unit forever.

Still, if you're new to the series, not playing on Classic is a solid choice to ease into it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Huh. It took less than a minute for me to format a 32gb microSD to FAT32.

Well, followed the instructions at the following page and everything's now super-groovy:

http://popcultureblog.dallasnews.com/2015/02/how-to-transfer-3ds-sd-card-data-and-use-high-capacity-bigger-than-32gb-microsd-cards-on-the-new-nintendo-3ds-xl.html/

Feels good to digitally stretch out in this thing, was feeling claustrophobic.

camo_sig2.png