Options

[Star Wars Rebels] Season 4: May the Fourth Be With Uth

• Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    what they don't say is the fact that the 3 sensor system is $390. http://store.sixense.com/collections/stem

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    What, you mean this thing?

troop3.jpg

If so, your answer is probably "some guy who worked for Kenner back in 1979."

If you're talking about the shuttles, those would be Sentinel-class landing craft.

wait thats not new? I knew the pre at-st walkers were in some other stuff but I had never seen those troop transports before.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    That looks like original A New Hope stuff. Unless you're pushing 40, you probably wouldn't have ever seen it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I thought that was a silly toy when I was of that age.
    But when I saw it in use in the show I remembered that earlier thought.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    It had some cool sound effects though.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The best part about that is that the show kept the derpy looking Stormtrooper saddlebags and turned them into prisoner holding cells.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2015
    So after seeing a bunch of people mention it here, I started watching this over the weekend and just finished episode 7 ("Empire Day").

I have my little quibbles with the show. Ezra has been given more definition since episode one but still feels to me a bit like Space Aladdin and I feel like in 2015 it would have been really nice to see this sort of adventure story told with a female lead. The writing is weirdly on-the-nose sometimes - people often seem to say things like "she is sad because ______" rather than simply letting the dialogue imply it (or, in Star Wars fashion, letting the music and visuals do the heavy lifting of conveying that emotion). Amidst all the banter and wisecracking, there is a bit of a conceptual hole for a character who's a bit older and more dignified or who has more gravitas - I feel like kids' cartoon makers constantly underestimate children, assuming that kids aren't interested in stories with ew old people, and yet, Optimus Prime. Obi-Wan. Dumbledore. Y'know?

But those are basically quibbles with the fact that this is a half-hour toy commercial for eight-to-twelve-year-olds airing on the Disney XD network (check your local cable listings!) and not really criticisms of it as a Star Wars thing.

And it's a really good Star Wars thing. I like it a lot.

In fact, I almost feel like it's what I've been waiting sixteen years, now, to see - something that finally gets back to the core of what Star Wars has always meant to me. What is that? GLAD YOU ASKED:

WHAT STAR WARS MEANS TO JACOB:
    - Space adventure with memorable, visually iconic heroes battling villains for the highest stakes imaginable
    - Stripped-down storytelling focused on basic, primary-color emotions like True Love and Best Friendship and Strong Hate
    - "The Force," a benign and powerful spiritual presence that connects all life
    - that blue alien in the bar drinking that smoking drink looks cool
    - holy shit, that Jedi lifted a tiny box with his mind!
    - time wasted on the question of where Force Ghosts come from: 0

WHAT STAR WARS DOES NOT MEAN TO JACOB:
    - Space adventure with forgettable waves of identical clones fighting waves of identical robots for...stakes? somewhere?
    - Fussbudget OCD storytelling focused on filling holes in continuity
    - "The Force," a Dungeons & Dragons alignment system that connects all space wizards
    - that blue alien is a Zordocan and the smoking drink is nird'bheit, the ancient drink of his people that gives +5 to Force resistance
    - Oh, uh, cool, those Jedi did another twenty wuxia flips with their minds. /checks watch
    - time wasted on the question of where Force Ghosts come from: entirely too much jesus christ what is wrong with people

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    So, I just finished catching up on this. I really love this show, it isn't perfect, but it is really good Star Wars.

Also,
    About the Inquisitor. We saw him fall, but did we see him land? I would be shocked if he was a one season wonder. And it's not like the Emperor hasn't, you now, rebuilt useful highly injured tools before.

And, in regards to how Rebels might be tied into the larger continuity of Star Wars, I don't see why we have to worry about that. The OT is focussed essentially on one cell of the rebellion no? Not sure why the characters in Rebels could not, at the time of the OT, be somewhere else in the galaxy, doing something else for the rebellion. Presuming all the characters survive the cartoon series.

Space is a big place. The more interesting question might be, will we see any of the characters from Rebels in the new films.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Also,
    About the Inquisitor. We saw him fall, but did we see him land? I would be shocked if he was a one season wonder. And it's not like the Emperor hasn't, you now, rebuilt useful highly injured tools before.
    Regarding your spoiler,
    He's dead. Or at least, he's dead for now.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, I just finished catching up on this. I really love this show, it isn't perfect, but it is really good Star Wars.

Also,

And, in regards to how Rebels might be tied into the larger continuity of Star Wars, I don't see why we have to worry about that. The OT is focussed essentially on one cell of the rebellion no? Not sure why the characters in Rebels could not, at the time of the OT, be somewhere else in the galaxy, doing something else for the rebellion. Presuming all the characters survive the cartoon series.

Space is a big place. The more interesting question might be, will we see any of the characters from Rebels in the new films.

The problem is
    There are 3 other Jedi. Don't you think someone would have told Luke about the other people out there who could train him? Why would he have gotten zero training between New Hope and ESB?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    They were in the 3rd galaxy to the left?
    ]

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Also,

Because Tarkin is specifically involved with this crew and said in ANH "The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion." Retcons and all, but you know, that's kind of a definitive line for someone who encountered these specific Jedi and had to call Vader in himself.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Also,
    Regarding your spoiler,

In that interview I really love his idea of Vader as this dude that's mostly only rumored among normal folks, the boogeyman of the Empire. Because any non-imperial who meets him in any meaningful way is probably about to die.

It's not exactly fitting with seemingly everyone recognizing vader by sight in the prequels, but as far as an idea for rebels it sounds cool as hell.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Also,
    Regarding your spoiler,

In that interview I really love his idea of Vader as this dude that's mostly only rumored among normal folks, the boogeyman of the Empire. Because any non-imperial who meets him in any meaningful way is probably about to die.

It's not exactly fitting with seemingly everyone recognizing vader by sight in the prequels, but as far as an idea for rebels it sounds cool as hell.

The only people who recognizes Vader is Leia and Ben, one a senator and the other his former master. Luke has no idea who he is on the Death Star, and had seemingly no idea who Vader was when Ben told him Vader killed his father, and I don't recall any other situation when anyone "recognizes" him?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I don't need anyone to tell me who the 7' tall dude in gloss black armor choking out bitches with his mind is. I'm already running the other way.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    In that Death Star board meeting, no one was particularly scared or in awe of the dude. They viewed him as a dog on a leash. Whats-his-nuts was outright talking shit to Vader. For a boogieman he needs better PR

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's a clear difference in how Vader is portrayed between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, to the extent where Empire feels like something of a retcon based on how much people liked Vader.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Yeah, there's a clear difference in how Vader is portrayed between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, to the extent where Empire feels like something of a retcon based on how much people liked Vader.

Or that the dog had started to slip the leash, and the Emperor was either enabling him or too busy to give a shit. I can't remember, how many high-ranking Imperial officers did Vader murder in cold blood, and without retribution?

I expect that Grand Moff Tarkin was the only guy who was really standing in Vader's way; they had a shared history and Tarks was reasonably sure that Vader wouldn't off him.

• Options
    I wouldn't call it a retcon. Its just the first inklings of the George Lucas School of Writing. I don't think he had any idea of ESB when he was doing A New Hope. I read somewhere that at that point Anakin and Vader were still two separate characters. Also that Luke and Leia weren't related until RotJ was written.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »

Also,

The problem is
    There are 3 other Jedi. Don't you think someone would have told Luke about the other people out there who could train him? Why would he have gotten zero training between New Hope and ESB?

This was always my big problem when playing the RPG and we had Jedi players in the party during the Rebellion era.

I reconciled it thusly: Could there be other Jedi around to train Luke? Of course there could be. But Obi-Wan and Yoda are 1) Kinda arrogant in that their way is the only way and 2) They've been exiled on a hidden swamp world and the edge Dune sea...looking out for only one kid. What do they know? 3) Most other Jedi still alive are not nearly as powerful as Obi and Yoda, and they most likely would have abandoned the Jedi path or even the Force entirely. Until Ezra came along, Kanan had abandoned the Jedi way too. 4) I understand how retcons and expanded universes work. :)

And the heroes being just a rebel cell in the OT is not quite true, I think. I mean, Leia is the heart and soul of the Rebellion and has been from day one. Luke blows up a Death Star and is the shining hope of the Rebellion. If the heroes of the OT are a rebel cell....they are THE CORE rebel cell that all other cells aspire to be.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    From the Wikipedia entry for Splinter of the Mind's Eye.
    In 1976, Alan Dean Foster was contracted to ghostwrite a novelization for Star Wars. Foster was given extensive access to the shooting and draft scripts, as well as early story treatments, for use as source material in fleshing out the novel. Elements of this are visible in the resulting novel, such as the prologue, which borrows the Journal of the Whills title from Lucas' original synopsis.

Foster's contract also required a second novel, to be used as a basis for a low-budget sequel to Star Wars in case the film was not successful. Though Foster was granted a great deal of leeway in developing the story, a key requirement was that many of the props from the previous production could be reused when shooting the new film. Foster's decision to place his story on a misty jungle planet was also intended to reduce set and background costs for a film adaptation. According to Foster, Lucas's only request upon inspecting the manuscript was the removal of a space dogfight undertaken by Luke and Leia before crash-landing on Mimban, which would have been effects-heavy and expensive to film.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Also,

The problem is

This was always my big problem when playing the RPG and we had Jedi players in the party during the Rebellion era.

I reconciled it thusly: Could there be other Jedi around to train Luke? Of course there could be. But Obi-Wan and Yoda are 1) Kinda arrogant in that their way is the only way and 2) They've been exiled on a hidden swamp world and the edge Dune sea...looking out for only one kid. What do they know? 3) Most other Jedi still alive are not nearly as powerful as Obi and Yoda, and they most likely would have abandoned the Jedi path or even the Force entirely. Until Ezra came along, Kanan had abandoned the Jedi way too. 4) I understand how retcons and expanded universes work. :)

And the heroes being just a rebel cell in the OT is not quite true, I think. I mean, Leia is the heart and soul of the Rebellion and has been from day one. Luke blows up a Death Star and is the shining hope of the Rebellion. If the heroes of the OT are a rebel cell....they are THE CORE rebel cell that all other cells aspire to be.

In the OT, the Rebellion had obviously grown beyond small cells into a full-fledged military force. They had a ground army, a space fleet and established command centers. The Empire could still ground them into the snow in direct prolonged engagements, but the Rebellion had enough juice to stand against a full Imperial fleet by the end of Return of the Jedi.

• Options
    Thirith wrote: »

Or that the dog had started to slip the leash, and the Emperor was either enabling him or too busy to give a shit. I can't remember, how many high-ranking Imperial officers did Vader murder in cold blood, and without retribution?

I expect that Grand Moff Tarkin was the only guy who was really standing in Vader's way; they had a shared history and Tarks was reasonably sure that Vader wouldn't off him.

The scene doesn't bother me that much, because it is obviously a meeting of the Empire's command staff. Vader has power, but he's not someone who can eliminate his own side's general staff without direct orders from the Emperor. Even then, he probably would have murdered at least one of them for talking shit and damn the consequences had Tarkin not slapped him down.

In Empire Strikes Back, he is dealing with officers under his direct command. He can do whatever he wants to them.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    As the producer points out in that interview, Vader also undergoes a decent-sized shift in motivation between the first and second movie. In Star Wars, he's kind of a walking corpse. Learning that his son is alive gives him more motivation than he's had in years - motivation for what, he's not even sure.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    In effect, Vader in A New Hope is not unlike Boba Fett. He's mysterious, has a certain epic badassness and is enough of a blank for people to project all sort of interesting things onto him. (Mind you, the comparison doesn't work completely, since Vader from the first is more tightly connected to Luke's story, due to supposedly killing his father and then offing his surrogate father.) Where Fett remains a blank (and Darth Maul is a more extreme example of this), though, Vader is made more of an actual character in Empire, even if this means changing some of what was in A New Hope. He's perhaps the only example of a Lucasian filling in the blanks that actually works.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

Also,

Because Tarkin is specifically involved with this crew and said in ANH "The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion." Retcons and all, but you know, that's kind of a definitive line for someone who encountered these specific Jedi and had to call Vader in himself.

A couple of possible explanations here. Either Tarkin is lying, or believes this to be true because he has been deceived. An ending to the rebels series where they go into hiding or change their identities some how seems very appropriate in this universe. Yoda and Kenobi both managed to go into hiding and not be tracked down and slain by the Empire, seems like the rebels crew could do the same.

• Options

Also,

A couple of possible explanations here. Either Tarkin is lying, or believes this to be true because he has been deceived. An ending to the rebels series where they go into hiding or change their identities some how seems very appropriate in this universe. Yoda and Kenobi both managed to go into hiding and not be tracked down and slain by the Empire, seems like the rebels crew could do the same.

I'm expecting a Bunch and Sundance ending. I love the crew, but there are already hints that this is all going to end in tears.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Retcon: Rebels Crew are the ones that steal the Death Star plans.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

It ended poorly for the team that did that as well.

Also holy shit those plans were stolen a lot according to Wookiepedia.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Also,

The problem is

In the OT, the Rebellion had obviously grown beyond small cells into a full-fledged military force. They had a ground army, a space fleet and established command centers. The Empire could still ground them into the snow in direct prolonged engagements, but the Rebellion had enough juice to stand against a full Imperial fleet by the end of Return of the Jedi.

Yeah, that was kinda my point. Leia, and those around her, are NOT a typical Rebel cell. Where Leia goes, the Rebel Alliance brass is not far away. When Leia speaks, the entire Rebel Alliance listens. Leia doesn't get secret instructions from blind drops or mysterious contacts, she IS the mysterious contact. She doesn't receive medals, she gives them out. And so on, and so forth.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    It actually works perfectly. Tarkin gets his "you are all that's left of them" line still because, sure, he knew about the Rebels crew, but by Ep4 Vader has killed them all. Mon Mothma has her "many people died to bring us these plans" because it was the Rebels Crew that did the dieing.

Movie cannon preserved, plot conflicts resolved.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Mon Mothma has her "many people died to bring us these plans" because it was the Rebels Crew that did the dieing.

That's Death Star 2.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Mon Mothma has her "many people died to bring us these plans" because it was the Rebels Crew that did the dieing.

That's Death Star 2.

But I can see the plans getting just out as the crew goes down in a blaze of glory.

I mean we have 5 years before Yavin and the events leading up to it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They're not going to end their family friendly cartoon show with everyone dying. This isn't the 90s.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Mazzyx wrote: »

It ended poorly for the team that did that as well.

Also holy shit those plans were stolen a lot according to Wookiepedia.

The Empire believes in backing up important documents. Save them in as many places as possible.
    You just never know when some jackass with a planet destroying super laser may show up to destroy the planet that houses the servers for your plans for a planet destroying super laser.

see317 on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I think that they all end up in carbonite, or stuck in a time vortex, or something, and they pop out some time after ROTJ, possibly in the new movie era.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

Also,

I'm expecting a Bunch and Sundance ending. I love the crew, but there are already hints that this is all going to end in tears.

It's an interesting thing to speculate about, the crew not surviving seems more in context with the setting, but as this is a cartoon on Disney, I'm not so sure.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    They're not going to end their family friendly cartoon show with everyone dying. This isn't the 90s.

I don't know.

This is the show with people being spaced by a droid.

Hell they did that in Clone Wars.

Also I feel since this is a "teen" show and they will probably have it move up one season per year or so I can see them ending it with their audience being mid-teens with that dark but hopeful ending.

Especially if Disney times it with a blu-ray or a special re-release of the OT.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I think I'd be disappointed if something official came out and said that Kyle Katarn did not recover the original Death Star plans.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I think I'd be disappointed if something official came out and said that Kyle Katarn did not recover the original Death Star plans.

:bro: