As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old [STEAM] thread. Please buy the new thread mod for $4.99.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Up to the third location in Syberia. No idea how far that is. Story is getting interesting, but it's definitely hitting a certain threshold of "this makes no sense" which is pushing even MY suspension of disbelief. Also, it's criminal to have so many steps when the character animation is forced walk on steps, then have TONS of backtracking. Uuuuurgh.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    @Frem @Drake and everyone else who posts reviews like this. I just wanted to say that I really appreciate these thoughtful reviews that you take the time to write. The thought and enthusiasm really carry over and even if it doesn't get me to buy the game, it's because you have helped me know that it's not my kind of game. Your genuine interest and enthusiasm carry a lot more weight for me than pretty much all gaming journalism and more than once have I found myself buying games solely on the recommendations of this thread.

And happily enough this lets me know to keep it on the wishlist. While platformers are not exactly my bread and butter, per se, they totally occupy the secondary tier of "games types I like".

For example:
    First Tier: What I love to play (Zeldrodvanias, RPGs, "Action Adventure", Spectacle Fighter)
    Zeldroidvanias (Incremental increase in power via items such as health tanks, heart pieces, etc, tools made for specific tasks such as grappling hooks, boomerangs, etc, and most importantly a cohesive world that makes me enjoy exploring all it's nooks and crannies and feel smart when I figure out the right tool for the job).
    RPGs (for a while this was just JRPGs, but expanded later to Western and ARPGs; I again like the exploration, paired with interesting characters, cool abilities, and a sense of grandness).
    Action Adventure (fairly broad, but also fairly new. AssCreed, Arkham, Red Faction, Saint's Row recently got me into this kind of thing.)
    Spectacle Fighter (If it's actiony punchy, and makes me look good doing stuff, there's a place on the shelf for it)

Second Tier: What I like to play (Platformers, Turn-Based Civ/Strategy, Puzzlers)
    Platformers (Anything more like Rayman, Spyro, Ratchet & Clank, etc. There's usually a limited amount of 'things' such as coins, charms, and bafmodads to find in specific stages/planets.)
    Turn-Based Civ/Strategy (mainly, I like building an amazing civilization while choking out all others, taking their cities, etc. The feeling of almost playing a very long board game by myself has a strange appeal)
    Puzzlers (from Portal to Triple Town to Limbo, I like games that puzzle me from time to time.)

Tertiary Tier: What I play every so often (FPS, MMOG)
    FPS (I'm bad at aiming, but I like the feel and storytelling available through such interaction. I blame BioShock, mainly.)
    MMOs (If I don't know what to play, the grind helps me feel like I'm doing something.)

There are others I play (some fighting or racing games every so often, for example), but really, if it's not in those types of games, I'm rarely if ever going to take a look.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    *looks at graphs*

Which means that those of us who want to opt out of all of that crap are never going to get the option. Faaaantastic.

The good news is that your web browser can display what you want, instead of what Valve wants.

I used Stylish for Firefox, and made a new style with it:
    .discovery_queue_ctn, .steam_curators_ctn, .steam_curators_block{
    display:none !important;
    }

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    lots of things to read. 4 week old, no time. I heard FNG is TF2? I will try and make it, but ugh. Baby...... Which is a good thing, but a tired thing all in one. And a broke thing on that. Other than that, uh, I'm enjoying Nightmares from the Deep. I think I have gone crazy from lack of sleep. The world is purple. Why? I don't know, but dangit... after not sleeping, I think it is purple...

Sorry @Pixelated Pixie Maybe you call it a dark pink.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Corsini wrote: »
    *looks at graphs*

Which means that those of us who want to opt out of all of that crap are never going to get the option. Faaaantastic.

The good news is that your web browser can display what you want, instead of what Valve wants.

I used Stylish for Firefox, and made a new style with it:
    .discovery_queue_ctn, .steam_curators_ctn, .steam_curators_block{
    display:none !important;
    }

Eh, I know, but I had the craaaazy idea that maybe Valve would make their official client suit the needs and wishes of...
    naah. never mind.
    it seems that, as the saying goes, I'm no longer the customer but the product.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Speaking of Zelda style games, I recently had the idea transplant Zeldas concept into an FPS. Big, FarCry-style open world with a bunch of elaborate dungeon zones where you solve puzzles and fight bosses and get a new items that allow you to solve more puzzles and reach new areas. Items would all be based on famous tools from other games (Portal gun, Gravity gun, time device from Singularity etc. etc.)

Game would be named after the main character: Gimik

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    If you are doing TF2 FNG you may want to notify the SE++ thread. They have their own server that's usually open to the public and I think Friday night is their playday too.

Together you can probably get a full house of PA peeps.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Speaking of Zelda style games, I recently had the idea transplant Zeldas concept into an FPS. Big, FarCry-style open world with a bunch of elaborate dungeon zones where you solve puzzles and fight bosses and get a new items that allow you to solve more puzzles and reach new areas. Items would all be based on famous tools from other games (Portal gun, Gravity gun, time device from Singularity etc. etc.)

Game would be named after the main character: Gimik

PC-centric Metroid Prime? Where do I sign!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I have a code for Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition for PC if anyone wants it. Adventure Team members only!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Here's something interesting...
    2004's Half-Life 2 was a landmark for PC gaming and the First Person Shooter, setting the standard for immersion, animation, and physics-based play for years.
    Meticulously developed by Half-Life community member Filip Victor, Half-Life 2: Update offers both long-time fans and first time players the most visually advanced, stable, and fully-featured version of Half-Life 2 to date in one free mod download.
    features:
    ■Complete lighting overhaul including enhanced lighting, more detailed world shadows, and full High Dynamic Range Lighting (HDR).

■New particle effects and improved fog.

■Countless bug fixes, correcting both visual and game-based issues.

■An extensive Community Commentary Mode featuring the voices of well-known Youtubers, including Caddicarus, Brutalmoose, Ricepirate, Balrog the Master, ProJared, and Ross Scott from Freeman's Mind .

■Retains the iconic Half-Life 2 visual style and gameplay.

■All available in one free standalone download!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Sounds good! Thanks for the hot-tip, Koopah

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    subisubi Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I have a code for Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition for PC if anyone wants it. Adventure Team members only!

Great I am not member of "PA G&T Adventure Team" :P Thanks @Karoz for expain why there is two groups :)

BIT.TRIP RUNNER
    Loading...?

subi on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So I'm pretty miserably sick at the moment, last night I decided to use that as excuse for some Big Picture mode couch gaming. I jumped into a random online Gauntlet game. If anyone has a chance to try that game online, I highly recommend it. It was super fun, and the way the roles play out really feels perfect. I had such a great time just plowing through waves of demons as the Valkyrie with Questor the Elf behind me and Merlin throwing fireballs just like the old arcade days. There's a bit more strategy between characters than their used to be - I suck at Merlin - but it is so much fun.

As a side note - Big Picture needs better filters. I can use "Controller Games" but I can't limit it to "Installed Controller Games" that I can find, which would be super helpful.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    ONLY 1 HOUR GUYS!

oihfmrn5hcfr.gif

It's a fun MOBA! I've been playing it since closed beta way back in the day. Some Info:

For going through the Tutorial you get 5 heroes:

Gaslight Batman
    Harley Quinn
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern
    Doomsday

Completing 7 matches gets you:

Batman (regular Batman)

Logging in for 7 days gets you:

The Joker

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    Bioshock

Loading...?

• Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular

Wow. From the video it looks like they took a light touch, and their improvements actually are subtle improvements that respect the look of the original.

Nice find! Will definitely try it out the next time I play.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    ONLY 1 HOUR GUYS!

[img/]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/c9/oihfmrn5hcfr.gif[/img]

It's a fun MOBA! I've been playing it since closed beta way back in the day. Some Info:

Gaslight Batman
    Harley Quinn
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern
    Doomsday

Batman (regular Batman)

The Joker

How do you unlock Chainsaw on a stick whielding Wonder Woman with a bouffant and armor.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    subi wrote: »
    Bioshock

Loading...?

uhh I am a moron, and I think I clicked this code by mistake (hey, no coffee yet)

so it should still be un-redeemed, right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    ONLY 1 HOUR GUYS!

Gaslight Batman
    Harley Quinn
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern
    Doomsday

Batman (regular Batman)

The Joker

How do you unlock Chainsaw on a stick whielding Wonder Woman with a bouffant and armor.

The only thing wrong with your post is that I had to click to see the amazing picture. My wife and I are playing LEGO Batman 3 and Wonder Woman is my favorite character because every time she flies her classic theme plays. I'd never heard it before, and (unsurprisingly) it is extremely rad.

ss_3c514b05d7575f537bd65a3681ce1da909040463.jpg?t=1427232380

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqvs724hjUY

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I am incredibly hyped for the new Mad Max game coming from the guys that released Just Cause 2 and Renegade Op, Avalanche Studios. They need to let me pre order it already!

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    ONLY 1 HOUR GUYS!

Gaslight Batman
    Harley Quinn
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern
    Doomsday

Batman (regular Batman)

The Joker

Buy her lol. I believe she is 5700 Merit (which is the currency you earn) or a couple hundred Crisis Coins (which is the currency you buy).

She's badass btw. Her Ult Chainsaw attack is terrifying if you find yourself alone and you hear a chainsaw revving in the distance.

That's Atomic Wonder Woman also, I probably should have mentioned the different universes. There are:

Prime (normal guys)
    Nightmare (Vampire and Monsters)
    Atomic (Irradiated guys)
    Arcane (Magical and Mystical)
    Gaslight (Steampunkish/Victorian)

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Eupfhoria wrote: »
    Bioshock

Loading...?

uhh I am a moron, and I think I clicked this code by mistake (hey, no coffee yet)

@Eupfhoria Yeah you are okay. You can send it back to subi and they can repost it or something. Though considering I have 120 friends who already have Bioshock, there might not be too many takers.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Bioshock

Loading...?

Yeah, @Eupfhoria, assuming it's a Steam code and not like a bundle activation link that you clicked, the code should still be unredeemed if you didn't plug it into Steam.

Just let @subi know and he can repost it. (I was surprised that a game that has such deep, deep community penetration went so quickly. :) )

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    In other news, the amazing C2B is updating this post of his in the Pillars of Eternity thread with PoE reviews as they get posted.

Consensus seems to be that Obsidian absolutely nailed it.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I am incredibly hyped for the new Mad Max game coming from the guys that released Just Cause 2 and Renegade Op, Avalanche Studios. They need to let me pre order it already!

Wait, what? :o

You have my attention...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    In other news, the amazing C2B is updating this post of his in the Pillars of Eternity thread with PoE reviews as they get posted.

Consensus seems to be that Obsidian absolutely nailed it.

Ugh, I'm going to have to avoid this thread for awhile or I'm going to end up buying this, when I have neither the time or money to do so. I had no idea this existed until a few days ago and now that feeling of needing to get it is quickly creeping in.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

You have my attention...
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/mad-max/

• Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    Bioshock

Loading...?

Yeah, @Eupfhoria, assuming it's a Steam code and not like a bundle activation link that you clicked, the code should still be unredeemed if you didn't plug it into Steam.

Just let @subi know and he can repost it. (I was surprised that a game that has such deep, deep community penetration went so quickly. :) )

yeah, I just saw a line of text pop up shortly before I Ctrl-W'ed out of the page, and then reopened the page and saw the code was now 'empty'

I already have the game on 360, so hopefully @subi can still gift the code to someone who doesnt have it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Welp, took down Ori and the Blind Forest, thanks to a friend letting me use his Steam account to play it without having to buy it at full price myself (cheating, I know).

That was a really neat game. Pretty short, but very packed. Ori is a joy to control, the game couldn't be more beautiful, and the mechanics are incredibly tight. It's not a hard game if you have some platforming experience, but it requires your attention almost all the time, making play sessions very fun and nontedious. New gimmicks are introduced at a steady pace and built progressively upon in a very organic way, until the end when you're juggling three different maneuvers at the same time and not even noticing.

The only minor problem I'd give the game is the way so many of the health and energy upgrades require basically all the tree upgrades to get, it's not really worth it to backtrack and search for them until you're near the end, so between the last two segments I went from 8 HP to like 16, or however much the maximum wa, I don't remember.

But, overall, anyone who enjoys quick platforming and metroid-style map exploration should give this game a spin. As I said, short (about 6 hours it took me, with 100% completion), but probably one of the best experiences I've found in the metroidvania genre.

10/10, would recommend to anyone.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Congratulations to me on finally finishing Deus Ex: HR.

I played the whole game hacking/stealth and I loved how much power I had over the lives of those poor little soldiers. I barely even looked at a boss. I kept my kill count low. And the final encounter lasted all of 4 seconds thanks to a successful persuasion earlier. The gameplay was GREAT. I loved that I could actually play however I wanted.

Missing Link was AWFUL in some of its execution.

Also that ending was just terrible. It doesn't negate the overall quality of the game, but boy howdy what a mess.
    Ending spoilers for a game released in 2011:
    All the power over the media in the world at my fingertips, and Jensen can't kind combine two of those? WHy does all science have to be bad? Why can't I do some science, some regulation? WHy can't I tell people the truth in a way that will make them understand? Why am I pushing one of 4 fucking buttons are you kidding me?

Also, hour after hour of Jensen longing to find Megan and she runs off never to return. No epilogue? No Stinger? Man...game really needed to give me some more emotional closure than a Metal Gear newsreel cut.

Anyway next up is...I don't know! Here are my candidates:
    *Shadow of Mordor - I just bought this so there are older games I should probably play first but man oh man i hear it's good
    Batman: Arkham Origins -Got this on the cheap and heard it is OK
    *Brutal legend - Gotta give this a real chance.
    Gemini Rue - Started this...but am I all Blade Runnered out right now?
    **Gone Home - Stupidly haven't played this yet
    Gunpoint
    LOOM - I want cred
    METRO Last Light - I might wait for a copy of REDUX...
    Sleeping Dogs: DE
    KOTOR II
    Super Time Force ULTRA
    The Swapper
    **Tomb Raider
    **Transistor

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options

You have my attention...
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/mad-max/
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/03/06/10-badass-things-we-did-in-mad-maxs-open-world.aspx

Seriously excited for this. If anyone can do vehicular carnage right, it's these guys.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Congratulations to me on finally finishing Deus Ex: HR.

I played the whole game hacking/stealth and I loved how much power I had over the lives of those poor little soldiers. I barely even looked at a boss. I kept my kill count low. And the final encounter lasted all of 4 seconds thanks to a successful persuasion earlier. The gameplay was GREAT. I loved that I could actually play however I wanted.

Missing Link was AWFUL in some of its execution.

Also that ending was just terrible. It doesn't negate the overall quality of the game, but boy howdy what a mess.
    Ending spoilers for a game released in 2011:
    All the power over the media in the world at my fingertips, and Jensen can't kind combine two of those? WHy does all science have to be bad? Why can't I do some science, some regulation? WHy can't I tell people the truth in a way that will make them understand? Why am I pushing one of 4 fucking buttons are you kidding me?

Also, hour after hour of Jensen longing to find Megan and she runs off never to return. No epilogue? No Stinger? Man...game really needed to give me some more emotional closure than a Metal Gear newsreel cut.

*Shadow of Mordor - I just bought this so there are older games I should probably play first but man oh man i hear it's good
    Gunpoint
    LOOM - I want cred
    KOTOR II
    Super Time Force ULTRA
    The Swapper
    **Tomb Raider
    **Transistor

Swapper and Gunpoint are both unique, good, and fairly short. (I think Gunpoint is < 3 and Swapper <5)

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options

Gunpoint
    LOOM - I want cred
    KOTOR II
    Super Time Force ULTRA
    The Swapper
    **Tomb Raider
    **Transistor

Knock off Gone Home. It'll take you 2-4 hours (depending on your rush-to-savor ratio and secret-finding ability). Worth every minute. So damn good.

Then, I vote for Tomb Raider. Because awesome. But really you have a lot of great options there.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Oh gosh darnit...

There WAS a post-credits scene. You just don't get it if you skip the credits.

And I don't understand any of it because I never played Deus Ex past the first hour.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options

Gunpoint
    LOOM - I want cred
    KOTOR II
    Super Time Force ULTRA
    The Swapper
    **Tomb Raider
    **Transistor

Knock off Gone Home. It'll take you 2-4 hours (depending on your rush-to-savor ratio and secret-finding ability). Worth every minute. So damn good.

Then, I vote for Tomb Raider. Because awesome. But really you have a lot of great options there.

Yeah I was gonna suggest the same as gh is shortest but imo,the best there. Tomb Raider is fairly lengthy but a brilliant title. Gunpoint is another very short game you could finish in two sittings. Incredibly good fun and awesome mechanic.

• Options
    Bioshock

Loading...?

yeah, I just saw a line of text pop up shortly before I Ctrl-W'ed out of the page, and then reopened the page and saw the code was now 'empty'

I already have the game on 360, so hopefully @subi can still gift the code to someone who doesnt have it

So you want from me to post it again or you will give it to your friend ? :)

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

Gunpoint
    LOOM - I want cred
    KOTOR II
    Super Time Force ULTRA
    The Swapper
    **Tomb Raider
    **Transistor

Transistor is also pretty short and quite amazing. Metro:LL was one of the most immersive FPS's I've played. Tomb Raider is just pure fun, but I found it dragged a bit and got a little repetitive, and I would say the same about Sleeping Dogs and Shadow of Mordor.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Tomb Raider has some of the most brutal death scenes I've ever seen.

I'm not too squeamish but damn, some of them are quite disturbing.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »

That jaw scene. That fucking jaw scene D:

• Options
    Shimshai wrote: »

Awesome, wasn't it? I about wore out my screenshot key trying to get the best pics. I had to reload and re-die a few times when I wasn't prepared for it to happen and missed a screencap.

:D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
This discussion has been closed.