Options

[chat] is what happens when you meet a man in the alps

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    i got some really disorienting motion sickness on the subway this morning. There was no AC in the cars and we were standing and the train was rocking and I just felt more and more nauseated and dizzy

and then this old eastern european lady sitting right next to us snapped at someone else standing, "Your elbow is in my face!" and the lady told her sorry but it's crowded and then they got into it, leading to "Oh shut up" "No YOU shut up"

I was like old bitch you have the privilege of being able to sit down i would be justified in throwing up on you right now

I'm giggling imagining her screech if you had done that

"YOU PUKED ON ME!"

*glare, throw up again*

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I still can't figure out how to make the font bigger here

erg

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    its nasty to take pleasure in seeing someone turn away from religion

What? Why?

It's kinda nasty to take pleasure in anything with a sort of "I told you so" kind of manner, is more how I read that.

No one gets their tailfeathers ruffled when someone says they take pleasure in seeing someone turn away from right-wing politics.

My heart is warmed when someone loses the faith in much the same way I imagine a religious person's heart is warmed when they see someone find religion.

I personally think it is presumptuous to hold my view on matters like religion as the one true and correct view point and to think all others are wrong, in much the same way that I loathe it when someone tries to proselytize to me. I think that religion is a deeply personal matter and that everyone is entitled to have whatever they believe respected and not looked down on. The only exception is where someone is being harmed by a view (like parents that won't give their children medicine).

People may be entitled to certain forms of politeness and social decency (including, e.g., crystal healing types), but I don't think there's any sense in which that extends to having their beliefs (e.g., their belief that crystals heal) respected. Some beliefs, including almost all religious ones, are pretty poor, even if ordinary social norms instruct us not to go around making a big deal out of it in mixed company.

i hereby request said politeness and social decency with reference to chat and big deals being made

sig.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

erg

LIKE THIS

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I don't really agree that faith and politics are the same thing.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

erg

Like this

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    going to Florida in October is gonna be like, a grand

:(

What part of Florida?

Gainsville

I'm going to an performing at this.

• Options

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

Is that a good thing? Was the movie good? It looked so terrible I didn't go see it.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    butts

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

yeah but you don't get to talk about either one at work and there's a real good reason for that

sig.gif
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

What? Why?

It's kinda nasty to take pleasure in anything with a sort of "I told you so" kind of manner, is more how I read that.

No one gets their tailfeathers ruffled when someone says they take pleasure in seeing someone turn away from right-wing politics.

My heart is warmed when someone loses the faith in much the same way I imagine a religious person's heart is warmed when they see someone find religion.

I personally think it is presumptuous to hold my view on matters like religion as the one true and correct view point and to think all others are wrong, in much the same way that I loathe it when someone tries to proselytize to me. I think that religion is a deeply personal matter and that everyone is entitled to have whatever they believe respected and not looked down on. The only exception is where someone is being harmed by a view (like parents that won't give their children medicine).

I totally disagree

nobody's free from being looked down on and no point of view is ever entitled respect divorced from its merits

I look down on people who think vaccination causes autism and that ghosts are real

and I don't respect it because what's there to respect?

I think looking down on somebody for holding demonstrably wrong views is a quite a bit different than looking down on someone because they have adopted a metaphysical framework which you disagree with (but which, by definition, cannot be demonstrated as true or false) and which informs much of their life such as social groups and associations, and deeply meaningful and purposeful traditions.

As an aside, I think it is fascinating that we on this board are moving in a direction of near universal acceptance of lifestyle choices, as long as you don't have a religion.

It can be demonstrated as true or false just as easily as ghosts and the healing power of crystals. I mean, already at "adopting a metaphysical framework" it's out.

And you are totally mixing up acceptance and respect.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

What? Why?

There are so many reasons, but a lesser one is it could be seen as essentially laughing at someone for failing to commit. It's also gossip(granted, we do a lot of this, its [chat]), and the person isnt here to talk about it.

It's being a silly goose. I don't like organized religion, but I wouldnt laugh/make fun about something like that, its a stressful experience making a solid decision about what beliefs to follow. Weather you are going in, or leaving. That person needs support and people to talk to, not people pointing fingers.

Now! On the otherhand if she treated it just as a lighthearted, its completely appropriate. But I think theres enough context here.

Eh I don't know the person we're talking about but I took P10s statement to be in general rather than specific to a person.

Which is why I questioned it. There are certainly times when it's more than appropriate to take pleasure in someone turning away from religion. The most obvious example is someone leaving a cult.

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »

Is that a good thing? Was the movie good? It looked so terrible I didn't go see it.

The movie is a love letter to Star Trek and the effect it had on its cast.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

when it comes to how entitled to respect they are, they're the same thing to me.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Test

• Options
    Seems 7 is the highest that size can go.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    galaxy quest is a good

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2015

they share a lot of similar DNA. They are often ideological frameworks that most people inherit from their families when very young.

People who switch teams in later life are (often, not always) almost completely insufferable to talk to because they are learned "the true way of things" and are harsher to those who haven't seen the light like they have.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

What? Why?

Implied dismissal of the value of religion and condescending sense of the person coming to the "right" answer about a major personal life decision.

Condescension and being personal stuff aside, dismissal of the value of religion is an opinion I don't think anyone has a right to get offended by

people with different views than you kinda by definition don't have a reverence for yours

I find the bolded weird because the conversation, until it got skfm'd, was all about whether it's cruel or rude to say it's "hilarious" that someone built their life around something "inherently irrational" before that ground fell out from under them.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options

The movie is a love letter to Star Trek and the effect it had on its cast.

somebody here said it was in their top ten yesterday

i won't go that far but i really enjoy that movie

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

no one really has more than 7 it's just camera tricks and lighting and stuff

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    That's, what, five factions? Empire, Orcs, Dwarves, Vampires, and Chaos?

I'm disappointed in the lack of Elves (any variety) and Lizardmen.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Which is why I questioned it. There are certainly times when it's more than appropriate to take pleasure in someone turning away from religion. The most obvious example is someone leaving a cult.

aren't all religions a cult, mmmmaaaaaannnnnnnnnn?

*packs bowl*

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

It was funny. Very tongue in cheek. Although I'm not sure how well a TV show about a movie about a fake failed TV show that was a knockoff version of Star Trek is going to do...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

What? Why?

People may be entitled to certain forms of politeness and social decency (including, e.g., crystal healing types), but I don't think there's any sense in which that extends to having their beliefs (e.g., their belief that crystals heal) respected. Some beliefs, including almost all religious ones, are pretty poor, even if ordinary social norms instruct us not to go around making a big deal out of it in mixed company.

i hereby request said politeness and social decency with reference to chat and big deals being made

I agree with this post, and am going to bow out of the discussion on religion, especially since I have not been substantively defending the merits of belief, just that it is not right to be dismissive of people's deeply held personal beliefs. Put another way, all I have really been saying on this topic is "think what you think, but don't be a dick to people that disagree just because they disagree with you."

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

What? Why?

I totally disagree

nobody's free from being looked down on and no point of view is ever entitled respect divorced from its merits

I look down on people who think vaccination causes autism and that ghosts are real

and I don't respect it because what's there to respect?

I think looking down on somebody for holding demonstrably wrong views is a quite a bit different than looking down on someone because they have adopted a metaphysical framework which you disagree with (but which, by definition, cannot be demonstrated as true or false) and which informs much of their life such as social groups and associations, and deeply meaningful and purposeful traditions.

As an aside, I think it is fascinating that we on this board are moving in a direction of near universal acceptance of lifestyle choices, as long as you don't have a religion.

Cannot be demonstrated true or false? I fear you are opening up a pretty huge epistemological can of worms there. I have a different opinion, again!

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    @gooey I did not recover and almost immediately fell asleep. Everytime you saw me just pause in game was me nodding off.

you missed a gobbie but it was okay it wasn't a particularly good gobbie at least for me

@TTODewback

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

when it comes to how entitled to respect they are, they're the same thing to me.

I find politics to be for more ephemeral and less deserving of respect than religion, personally. I also say this as someone who is not and has never been religious.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    also good morning bros

who else has been kicked off the island since last night

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

no one really has more than 7 it's just camera tricks and lighting and stuff

Everyone knows the moon landing was faked.

At the CIA Soundstage on Mars.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    kedinik wrote: »

What? Why?

Implied dismissal of the value of religion and condescending sense of the person coming to the "right" answer about a major personal life decision.

Condescension and being personal stuff aside, dismissal of the value of religion is an opinion I don't think anyone has a right to get offended by

people with different views than you kinda by definition don't have a reverence for yours

I find the bolded weird because the conversation, until it got skfm'd, was all about whether it's cruel or rude to say it's "hilarious" that someone built their life around something "inherently irrational" before that ground fell out from under them.

Please don't use my name as a verb to mean "to take a conversation off track". I don't think anything I said was off topic or inappropriate, and the last thing I need is the idea that I make conversations about me and my views, not the topic, perpetuated any further, especially since I think I have been successful in avoiding that happening for some time now.

Also, no verbs, ever.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Gooey wrote: »
    also good morning bros

who else has been kicked off the island since last night

Wilson. It happened during the Island Intramural Soccer Tournament.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    this is going to be one of those days where i don't do shit isn't it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    dk have you encountered that every german speaks english and wants to 'practice' their english with you

I get to enjoy the opposite. I look sufficiently German and my last name is v German, so they all speak to me in German. I pretend to understand and keep up the charade as long as I can. When they switch to English, I lose. I kept a man on the train going for a solid hour.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    @gooey I did not recover and almost immediately fell asleep. Everytime you saw me just pause in game was me nodding off.

you missed a gobbie but it was okay it wasn't a particularly good gobbie at least for me

@TTODewback

Yeah. Seasons are so boring to me I literally start falling asleep.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    i got some really disorienting motion sickness on the subway this morning. There was no AC in the cars and we were standing and the train was rocking and I just felt more and more nauseated and dizzy

and then this old eastern european lady sitting right next to us snapped at someone else standing, "Your elbow is in my face!" and the lady told her sorry but it's crowded and then they got into it, leading to "Oh shut up" "No YOU shut up"

I was like old bitch you have the privilege of being able to sit down i would be justified in throwing up on you right now
    I have thrown up on people deliberately. Granted I was in third grade, but bitch had it coming.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

they share a lot of similar DNA. They are often ideological frameworks that most people inherit from their families when very young.

People who switch teams in later life are (often, not always) almost completely insufferable to talk to because they are learned "the true way of things" and are harsher to those who haven't seen the light like they have.

Excuse me, but I have never been religious and according to consensus I am insufferable and harsh.

(but actually I agree)

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Ahh, and I might need my father to make some copies of these papers. I'll be surprised if any of us survive this endeavour.

This discussion has been closed.