Options

[chat] is what happens when you meet a man in the alps

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    I'm spending the weekend in Munich so I think I will take advantage of all the city has to offer. *purchases age of ultron tickets*

you could see oliver huntemann dj

Hmm, would this make y2jake burn with jealousy while being 100% wasted on me? Because if so I will consider it.

there won't be enough faux-hiphopism for jake to be especially jealous

but there will probably be attractive german gay dudes there

at least as many as will be at the thor and other losers movie

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    its nasty to take pleasure in seeing someone turn away from religion

What? Why?

It's kinda nasty to take pleasure in anything with a sort of "I told you so" kind of manner, is more how I read that.
    No one gets their tailfeathers ruffled when someone says they take pleasure in seeing someone turn away from right-wing politics.
    that's different, because,
    (i'll be sure to ruffle my plumage real hard next time for you)

:winky:

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    i hear German sex clubs are delightful donk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah5gAkna3jI

what exactly is being implied here?? >.>
    Obviously you want to go on 48 hour long visits of that berlinese sex club with your significant other and you cant
    or can you.
    Sometimes I forget if your a thousand miles away or not.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Also, didn't catch that this was about Passerby.

To be clear: I found her generally lovely (is she still around?).

Have not seen her on the forums in a loooooong time. Photos of her cat curling up on her lap show up on my facebook feed regularly though.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

What? Why?

Implied dismissal of the value of religion and condescending sense of the person coming to the "right" answer about a major personal life decision.

Condescension and being personal stuff aside, dismissal of the value of religion is an opinion I don't think anyone has a right to get offended by

people with different views than you kinda by definition don't have a reverence for yours

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    dk have you encountered that every german speaks english and wants to 'practice' their english with you

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    God people looked extra lame in 1992.

s1m4q26b8p6d.jpg

incorrect

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    No one gets their tailfeathers ruffled when someone says they take pleasure in seeing someone turn away from right-wing politics.

My heart is warmed when someone loses the faith in much the same way I imagine a religious person's heart is warmed when they see someone find religion.

Sure, but then wouldn't you be happy for them, and not saying how hilarious you found their actions, like you'd seen them slip on a banana skin?

I guess if it was a terrible person you were watching it'd be different.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Can't really do more until I get a reply ("usually within two days!"), so guess I'll make five hours late lunch.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    We're getting a fast food style pizza place. here. it's like a set price for a personal sized pizza with any toppings/cheeses/sauce you want and they throw it into an 800 degree brick oven and cook it for 120 seconds. I don't know if this is a thing anywhere else

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    the thinness of a road to damascus moment is troubling precisely because it is often sincere, rather than being insincere

self-deception, &c

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

What? Why?

It's kinda nasty to take pleasure in anything with a sort of "I told you so" kind of manner, is more how I read that.

My heart is warmed when someone loses the faith in much the same way I imagine a religious person's heart is warmed when they see someone find religion.

I personally think it is presumptuous to hold my view on matters like religion as the one true and correct view point and to think all others are wrong, in much the same way that I loathe it when someone tries to proselytize to me. I think that religion is a deeply personal matter and that everyone is entitled to have whatever they believe respected and not looked down on. The only exception is where someone is being harmed by a view (like parents that won't give their children medicine).

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

What? Why?

I personally think it is presumptuous to hold my view on matters like religion as the one true and correct view point and to think all others are wrong, in much the same way that I loathe it when someone tries to proselytize to me. I think that religion is a deeply personal matter and that everyone is entitled to have whatever they believe respected and not looked down on. The only exception is where someone is being harmed by a view (like parents that won't give their children medicine).

To mangle a saying, the right to your beliefs stops at the other guy's nose.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

What? Why?

So long as one's religious views are not getting projected harmfully into the public sphere (you are refusing to serve people because god says they are icky, or are killing in the name of, etc), we should really just not care and let people take comfort in whatever ideology gives them that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

What? Why?

I have a rather different opinion

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm looking forward to DK's expression when the walls fall down and he realizes he's been in a Chinese recreation of Germany the whole time.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I follow the church of Paula Deen

we have a eucharist of butter on a cracker and butter mixed with melted butter

also we say the n-word a lot

• Options

What? Why?

I totally disagree

nobody's free from being looked down on and no point of view is ever entitled respect divorced from its merits

I look down on people who think vaccination causes autism and that ghosts are real

and I don't respect it because what's there to respect?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

What? Why?

There are so many reasons, but a lesser one is it could be seen as essentially laughing at someone for failing to commit. It's also gossip(granted, we do a lot of this, its [chat]), and the person isnt here to talk about it.

It's being a silly goose. I don't like organized religion, but I wouldnt laugh/make fun about something like that, its a stressful experience making a solid decision about what beliefs to follow. Weather you are going in, or leaving. That person needs support and people to talk to, not people pointing fingers.

Now! On the otherhand if she treated it just as a lighthearted, its completely appropriate. But I think theres enough context here.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2015
    Also I had the best hair in 1992.

8visdgr7rhe6.jpg

LOOK AT THAT MOP!

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

What? Why?

How is the view that everyone who believes is wrong any different than the view that anyone who believes in anything but the one true faith is wrong?

• Options
    it is no contradiction to observe both the sincerity of a belief or allegiance, and yet its responsiveness to shifts in material incentives; mother evolution has greater need of successful deception of one's fellow primates than she does of ideological purity of the pesky sentience squirreled away in that skull

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    is weird angle to take defense
    yes you are free to have your opinions and beliefs about other peoples beliefs
    and in turn, others are free to have opinions and beliefs regarding your beliefs (i.e: that they are nasty)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr7QMQwrioU
    you nasty boys

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

8visdgr7rhe6.jpg

LOOK AT THAT MOP!

i like how it's a picture from 1992 and your shirt says so

• Options
    conversely, we are that sentience and in a sense the former, not the latter, is what makes us us

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

What? Why?

How is the view that everyone who believes is wrong any different than the view that anyone who believes in anything but the one true faith is wrong?

by fucking definition, anyone who believes in something other than the one true faith, is wrong, since their beliefs are not true

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

What? Why?

I totally disagree

nobody's free from being looked down on and no point of view is ever entitled respect divorced from its merits

I look down on people who think vaccination causes autism and that ghosts are real

wait
    you just said you totally disagreed and then went on to agree with him.
    stop fucking with my emotions.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

What? Why?

They're different beliefs?
    The first is true, the second is not?

You're going to have to be more specific in your question here.

• Options
    this is ronya philosophizing whilst sleepy and presumably with lungs full of rusty dust. dusty rust. ah ha ha ha ha ha

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    i got some really disorienting motion sickness on the subway this morning. There was no AC in the cars and we were standing and the train was rocking and I just felt more and more nauseated and dizzy

and then this old eastern european lady sitting right next to us snapped at someone else standing, "Your elbow is in my face!" and the lady told her sorry but it's crowded and then they got into it, leading to "Oh shut up" "No YOU shut up"

I was like old bitch you have the privilege of being able to sit down i would be justified in throwing up on you right now

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

What? Why?

Interesting. As a lefty myself, you got me on that first point about politics. (although it would still be nice if that could be celebrated without gloating or condescension) But as an atheist myself, I can't relate to that second point at all for some reason, and I'm wondering what the difference is to me.

Maybe it's just something about the way it is even phrased, "losing faith", that activates my sympathy glands. Maek me think.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    not all faiths claim to be the one true faith (altho there is usually some privileging - first among equals or something along those lines)

• Options

What? Why?

I totally disagree

wait
    you just said you totally disagreed and then went on to agree with him.
    stop fucking with my emotions.

No I did not

we don't point and laugh at antivaxxers for the same reason, even though we're both pointing and laughing

he thinks that everyone is entitled to have their beliefs respected; I am of the completely opposite view

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

What? Why?

They're different beliefs?
    The first is true, the second is not?

You're going to have to be more specific in your question here.

if this is heading toward a "science is just another kind of faith, maaaan" argument i am setting everything on fire

• Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    i got some really disorienting motion sickness on the subway this morning. There was no AC in the cars and we were standing and the train was rocking and I just felt more and more nauseated and dizzy

and then this old eastern european lady sitting right next to us snapped at someone else standing, "Your elbow is in my face!" and the lady told her sorry but it's crowded and then they got into it, leading to "Oh shut up" "No YOU shut up"

I was like old bitch you have the privilege of being able to sit down i would be justified in throwing up on you right now

I'm giggling imagining her screech if you had done that

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

What? Why?

People may be entitled to certain forms of politeness and social decency (including, e.g., crystal healing types), but I don't think there's any sense in which that extends to having their beliefs (e.g., their belief that crystals heal) respected. Some beliefs, including almost all religious ones, are pretty poor, even if ordinary social norms instruct us not to go around making a big deal out of it in mixed company.

• Options

What? Why?

I totally disagree

I think looking down on somebody for holding demonstrably wrong views is a quite a bit different than looking down on someone because they have adopted a metaphysical framework which you disagree with (but which, by definition, cannot be demonstrated as true or false) and which informs much of their life such as social groups and associations, and deeply meaningful and purposeful traditions.

As an aside, I think it is fascinating that we on this board are moving in a direction of near universal acceptance of lifestyle choices, as long as you don't have a religion.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »

8visdgr7rhe6.jpg

LOOK AT THAT MOP!

i like how it's a picture from 1992 and your shirt says so

That was a great concert. I was a little young to be nearly front row at a gnr concert... boobs everywhere. Was fantastic.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    not all faiths claim to be the one true faith (altho there is usually some privileging - first among equals or something along those lines)

yeah but no religion goes "we're probably totally wrong about all of this"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Atomika on
This discussion has been closed.