As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[South Park: The Stick of Truth] Sequel announced by Ubisoft SanFran

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Is there a sequel coming? I haven't been able to watch anything today.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Yes there is. It's called " The Fractured But Whole." This time the guys are playing super heroes (Coon, Mint Berry Crunch, etc).

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »

Yes there is. It's called " The Fractured But Whole." This time the guys are playing super heroes (Coon, Mint Berry Crunch, etc).

Yes!

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

Yeah, its made by an Ubisoft studio.

My own problem is just fanboiy. In that Obsidian laid all the groundwork (Including engine/systems) for the game and another company gets to do the slam dunk sequel.
    Once again a possible sequel/franchise gets taken away from them and they still can use every project they can get.
    (Instead now 3/4's of their company founded on rpg's is working on a tank mmo)

I just hope they are still getting some compensation for the engine.

C2B on
  • Options
    That's a shame :( And yeah, I'm guessing Ubisoft figured they have the engine so they could use a cheaper studio. I mean, South Park Studios will probably do most of the heavy lifting with animation and story, so that just leaves scenario which I'm guessing is easy to plug in when the engine is already designed specifically for a game like this.

So yeah, a bummer for Obsidian for sure. But that said, I am still super stoked for this.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Maybe Obsidian didn't want to work on an RPG sequel where they couldn't also write for it?

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    The superhero thing is the natural direction to go for a sequel, and I am stoked because the Coon 2-Mysterion Rises-Coon vs. Coon and Friends trilogy are some of my all-time favorite episodes. Really did not expect a sequel to ever happen, though.

Still a little sad SoT never got any DLC.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Maybe this means a more stable experience on consoles as well

I still don't trust Obsidian to deliver one of those so I'm glad someone else is handling the sequel

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    At this point I am just happy it is being made. So happy.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    South Park Studios did most of the writing, animation and character work for SoT...Obsidian really just provided the RPG (and I'm pretty sure it was all developed in Unity anyway). I see no reason that SPS + Ubisoft can't produce an equally charming game.

e: And bonus, it's likely to be done in UbiArt, which is an amazing 2D engine that has delivered some of the best 2D visuals in years in Rayman and Child of Light.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    It was made using they in-house engine they created for Dungeon Siege 3. I dunno about UbiArt, but that level of graphical fidelity is, like, super overkill for a game for a show that was originally made with construction paper.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    South Park Studios did most of the writing, animation and character work for SoT...Obsidian really just provided the RPG (and I'm pretty sure it was all developed in Unity anyway). I see no reason that SPS + Ubisoft can't produce an equally charming game.

e: And bonus, it's likely to be done in UbiArt, which is an amazing 2D engine that has delivered some of the best 2D visuals in years in Rayman and Child of Light.

No, they didn't. Obsidian did a shitload in those departments (with the least probably being writing though. Only Eric Fenstermaker as Lead Writer really worked with them. That doesn't include quest design though) and you don't just *provide a rpg*. That's an incredible simpleminded way to look at game development. Games don't make themselves.
    South Park was actually pretty draining on the Obsidian stuff, to the point where Lead Programmer Dan Sptitzley wanted to take a break off lead positions for a while. There's a reason such a small game took as long to develop.

And it was in Obsidian's very own engine. Nothing to do with Unity.

It's possible btw. that it is done in Ubi art (I agree Ubi Art is great and would be perfect)

Edit: also I'm not saying this isn't going to be good. Most likely will be. Again, fanboyi lamenting on Obsidians fate in AAA business.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yes, game development is hard, and yes Obisdian did a shit load of work on Stick of Truth. No question. But the heart and soul of SoT was SPS's writing. Obsidian are amazing, I love their work, I buy all their games...but nothing Obsidian did with SoT can't be replicated by a good team using UbiArt (if in fact they use UbiArt, which I'm assuming they will).

Sorry if it sounded like I was downplaying Obsidian's contribution. Reading it, it does come off like that, but it wasn't my intention. I was implying in a simplistic way that I feel like SPS and Ubisoft can still do something great with South Park and it will be a good sequel.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Yes, game development is hard, and yes Obisdian did a shit load of work on Stick of Truth. No question. But the heart and soul of SoT was SPS's writing. Obsidian are amazing, I love their work, I buy all their games...but nothing Obsidian did with SoT can't be replicated by a good team using UbiArt (if in fact they use UbiArt, which I'm assuming they will).

Sorry if it sounded like I was downplaying Obsidian's contribution. Reading it, it does come off like that, but it wasn't my intention. I was implying in a simplistic way that I feel like SPS and Ubisoft can still do something great with South Park and it will be a good sequel.

Oh, yeah. Thats a given. As long as Matt and Trey are on it, it should turn out ok. That said a tinsy bit worry I have about the developer due to lack of experience in the gerne (last titles were just dance and rocksmith), but if they do work of the previous game it should be ok. Content based sequels usually have big advantages.

C2B on
  • Options
    I would be shocked if they don't start with SoT's mechanics and go from there. Obviously they can't just take them whole cloth I would imagine, but I expect the mechanics to be similar to SoT with this new developers twists (which could admittedly be bad, we don't know).

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Not to rag on Obsidian, but the gameplay was the weakest part about the game. The menus and inventory were clunky, the tutorials outright fucking lied to you, and the combat in general was just too damn easy to completely break. It overall wasn't a bad game to play, but neither do I have any motivation at all to play it again. So I'm not terribly broken up that they're not coming back.

This does however add the worry that the new people might get the gameplay worse. So, fingers crossed.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Not to rag on Obsidian, but the gameplay was the weakest part about the game. The menus and inventory were clunky, the tutorials outright fucking lied to you, and the combat in general was just too damn easy to completely break. It overall wasn't a bad game to play, but neither do I have any motivation at all to play it again. So I'm not terribly broken up that they're not coming back.

This does however add the worry that the new people might get the gameplay worse. So, fingers crossed.

Well the trailer did specifically call out the gameplay of the original, so at least they are aware of it.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Why would they use UbiArt if the show itself is animated in a program already used for a ton of games, Maya?

• Options
    edited June 2015

Well, improvment rule of the content sequel. (Especially with fan reaction backing up gameplay problems)

Anyway, it looks like this has come as a surprise to Obsidian. Which means they weren't asked or even informed (Kind of a dick move, but YMMV)

It also means they ARE most likely using the UBI Art Framework. AFAIK Ubisoft did work a bit with their own people on Stick of Truth and may have access to it, but I'd assume even Ubisoft is not stupid enough to just reuse the engine or tools without licensing them.

In which case they actually did some serious work on a code basis. :)

C2B on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Awesome, Mint-Berry Crunch returns.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Stick of Truth was the perfect game to watch someone else play. I'm hoping Fractured But Whole does something to compel me to play it, that would be rad.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Stick of Truth was a buggy mess. I'm not real surprised Obsidian isn't doing the sequel.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Stick of Truth was a buggy mess. I'm not real surprised Obsidian isn't doing the sequel.

It wasn't though. At least not what the word "mess" warrants. (There were two-three big, big stinkers though)

Though, we had that discussion and YMMV and all that.

C2B on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    If you recall, there was a lot of development hell with Stick of Truth, it changed a lot. It doesn't surprise me that they are going with someone else, especially if Parker and Stone want more control - which is pretty how they work on everything. If they feel they can do a better job than Stick of Truth, I am confident they can.

I'm super stoked about it, and I am expecting a 2016 release since they have been working on it a year already and they have a pre-order up.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    If you recall, there was a lot of development hell with Stick of Truth, it changed a lot. It doesn't surprise me that they are going with someone else, especially if Parker and Stone want more control - which is pretty how they work on everything. If they feel they can do a better job than Stick of Truth, I am confident they can.

I'm super stoked about it, and I am expecting a 2016 release since they have been working on it a year already and they have a pre-order up.

Parker and Stone had control. It's doubtful that their control increased with Ubi of all publishers.

That said, they certainly have learned a lot about the realities of AAA game development and can apply that with more consideration towards the developer. From that point of view a fresh start with a different dev can certainly be a good thing.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I'm optimistic. I really enjoyed Stick of Truth, but it felt like they ran out of development time halfway through (which they probably did) because it all just starts rushing towards the end. Hoping the sequel gets some real polish.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I don't think there was any more development hell than usual -- EVERY game changes/gets stuff cut during development.

Though their first publisher going bankrupt, that was a little hellish.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I don't think there was any more development hell than usual -- EVERY game changes/gets stuff cut during development.

Game was started 2009. Had it's release date pushed back a year with only 3 months until release date and that was after a federal court case that revolved around it. It had an extra share of development hell.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Game was started 2009. Had it's release date pushed back a year with only 3 months until release date and that was after a federal court case that revolved around it. It had an extra share of development hell.

Well, non-traditional development hell. All that stuff didn't really negatively effect development, somehow.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

Mid-2010, but yeah

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Man I loved SoT, but like others said, the gameplay was the weakest part. Not sure if that's on Obsidian or someone else, but I really hope it's vastly improved this time.

Heck, I think the only fight I even had remote difficulty on was that Al Gore fight with all the Secret Service guys.

The game was a love letter to fans, but please oh please give some more thought into the game mechanics this time around.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Hopefully it's actually challenging this time. It was a fun game no questions asked, but if they are going back to the well I'd like a deeper RPG experience to be honest; most of that in relation to the combat but even the leveling system was pretty. . .simplistic.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

This sorta makes me want to kidnap you and force you to play Daggerfall for a year straight :P

• Options

This sorta makes me want to kidnap you and force you to play Daggerfall for a year straight :P

Stick of Truth launched with a bug that just corrupted your save sometimes for some reason and when that happened, you couldn't even manually save. So if it happened? Yeah, sorry, you're just out that time since your last successful save.

'Losing a good chunk of your gameplay because of a bug' falls pretty in line with Buggy Mess. It's quality, not quantity.

• Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Stick of Truth launched with a bug that just corrupted your save sometimes for some reason and when that happened, you couldn't even manually save. So if it happened? Yeah, sorry, you're just out that time since your last successful save.

'Losing a good chunk of your gameplay because of a bug' falls pretty in line with Buggy Mess. It's quality, not quantity.

Not really. It was my experience that the manual save was completely useless. It never actually saved anything. All it functionally did was make a copy of your autosave.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

Not really. It was my experience that the manual save was completely useless. It never actually saved anything. All it functionally did was make a copy of your autosave.

That....doesn't change anything at all? If the bug triggered, your progress was fucked. Full-stop.

• Options

That....doesn't change anything at all? If the bug triggered, your progress was fucked. Full-stop.

Oh, I might have misinterpreted that as only manual saving got borked. If it also affected the auto, then that really sucked.

But good lord was the manual save option a massive red herring in the game that did nothing at all.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

ok well I guess we probably don't need a semantics debate about what the phrase "buggy mess" should be defined as

Lets just say my definition requires a lot more than one or two game breakers and leave it at that

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Getting a little tired of the "Obsidian games are buggy, unfinished product" meme.

The entire industry is like that, on some level or another. So why do only Obsidian game threads get bogged down in that debate 100% of the time?

Show me on the doll where KotOR 2 touched you.