As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[South Park: The Stick of Truth] Sequel announced by Ubisoft SanFran

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    ED! wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    they really bombed on the humor this time . i've been watching some playthroughs and they dropped all pretense of funny, just going for intensely gross and offensive as they can get. it's absolutely awful.

I liked the first but this is a 100% hard pass now. I wouldn't even accept it for free

Completely disagree. This feels just like the first game in terms of humor. The improved combat just makes it that much more enjoyable an experience.

At some point it became cool to shit on South Park. I definitely don't enjoy it as much as I used to, but I don't feel like the humour has really diverged from what it's always been. I'm enjoying the new combat system very much.

Pretty much any long-running TV series gets shat upon by indignant fans around the 10-year mark whether it deserves it or not. See also: The Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, etc. Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    they really bombed on the humor this time . i've been watching some playthroughs and they dropped all pretense of funny, just going for intensely gross and offensive as they can get. it's absolutely awful.

I liked the first but this is a 100% hard pass now. I wouldn't even accept it for free

Completely disagree. This feels just like the first game in terms of humor. The improved combat just makes it that much more enjoyable an experience.

At some point it became cool to shit on South Park. I definitely don't enjoy it as much as I used to, but I don't feel like the humour has really diverged from what it's always been. I'm enjoying the new combat system very much.

Pretty much any long-running TV series gets shat upon by indignant fans around the 10-year mark whether it deserves it or not. See also: The Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, etc. Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

For most people, a decade is a whole lot of time for tastes, opinions and basically everything to change. It is unlikely bordering on impossible that any given instance of entertainment is going to grow along with them. Shit, most of them couldn't and not cease to be what they are.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Humor is incredibly subjective, so I can totally see one person thinking it bombed and another person thinking its a great as the first one. I personally think the humor is weaker than the first one, but its still amusing to me.

I do think the gameplay is better than the first one, though.

I meant more the style than the quality. Perhaps someone who just played TSoT and is jumping immediately into this one would be better suited to answer that, but it really doesn't feel differently in TFBW honestly. The difficulty slider, encounter at the church and after Mackey all feel the same. . . just with the polish of knowing what worked and what didn't last game.

Speaking of the game while still not revolutionary it's such a revelation in how good it is and I'm really interested to see what they do with the next one. I like how they don't explain everything and you kind of think it's simpler than it really is. Using blocking to prevent a taunted enemy from attacking or moving out of an AoE attack or thinking two or three steps ahead so that you don't block YOURSELF from taking a turn there's a lot more going on here than I think people will give the game credit for (especially if playing on the lower difficulties).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I’m going to have to up the difficulty to mastermind because I’m on Day 2 in the game but my Superhero Might is well over 300.

I think those Artifacts you can get for Uplay Points were just way overpowered.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I’m going to have to up the difficulty to mastermind because I’m on Day 2 in the game but my Superhero Might is well over 300.

The artifacts aren't overpowered, it's just not a super difficult game even on Mastermind.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Amazon updated my order to say it's coming the 24th now. Still no digital code as was promised... :/ I'd be fine with it coming next week if they'd just send that code so I could still play in the mean time...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Donnicton wrote: »

The artifacts aren't overpowered, it's just not a super difficult game even on Mastermind.

The current versions of the Uplay ones I’m using are both 90 Might when most of the ones I’ve gotten recently hover around 50-70

I haven’t been buying many recipes though just upgrading what I have.

I’m glad costumes are their own thing and stats are tied to Artifacts that way I can make my own hard mode with low Might play throughs.

That’s going to be fun.

Viskod on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Amazon updated my order to say it's coming the 24th now. Still no digital code as was promised... :/ I'd be fine with it coming next week if they'd just send that code so I could still play in the mean time...

Amazon has been shit with preorders for several months now, and after the bullshit they pulled with the SNES Classic they've lost my business entirely

GameStop may not be the greatest but they always have my game ready to go on release day

• Options
    edited October 2017

Amazon has been shit with preorders for several months now, and after the bullshit they pulled with the SNES Classic they've lost my business entirely

GameStop may not be the greatest but they always have my game ready to go on release day

I don't think this one was their fault but I do blame them for not sending out some sort of notice. I remember with Dead Rising 2 they weren't going to have the pre-order bonus and they gave like some ridiculous discount on another game as compensation with an apology email letting everyone know what was going on (I think I got Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for almost free - edit: I paid $9 for it AT LAUNCH). But then we got the pre-order thing anyways like a few days later. This everyone just seems in the dark on. When I contacted them the email I got back was literally a stock response about the code pasted into the body (it actually says "please advise the customer" at one point - pretty sure he pasted his instructions into the email)

And yeah I mostly agree though. They've been going to hell a lot lately, cutting back significantly on their Prime discount for games, shipping things late if at all, etc. I've mostly switched over to using Best Buy where I can. This was pre-ordered over a year ago so it was before I started switching.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Amazon's been getting pretty spotty about their price-matching, too. Seems like they didn't just stop their video game price war with everyone else, they disbanded the troops. Or something.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Amazon's been getting pretty spotty about their price-matching, too. Seems like they didn't just stop their video game price war with everyone else, they disbanded the troops. Or something.

Dunno... I paid 48 bucks for Mario Odyssey.

Sucks seeing so many issues with Amazon though. Im an old so I still do brick and mortar most of the time heh.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Sucks seeing so many issues with Amazon though. Im an old so I still do brick and mortar most of the time heh.

I honestly think that was a pricing mistake :P

• Options
    Holy Christ that "Open Lotus" poster. Good lord.

Amazon Prime Pre-order price.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Amazon Prime Pre-order price.

Yeah, Amazon's "Get it before you have a chance to read reviews" pricing can be pretty nice on occasion.

• Options
    The soundtrack to this game needs to come out now. Music at
    Peppermint Hippo, especially Spontaneous Bootay's boss music. . .
    is freaking amazing. Chaos Minion fight music is also really fun (including the little comments they make).

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular

While I'm not as bigger fan of south park over the last couple of seasons it's still making me laugh and the game overall plays and seems deeper than the first.

Some great little moments have kept me invested and looking forward to seeing where the story is going to end.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The soundtrack to this game needs to come out now. Music at
    Peppermint Hippo, especially Spontaneous Bootay's boss music. . .
    is freaking amazing. Chaos Minion fight music is also really fun (including the little comments they make).

*cough* (It's music, but has spoilerish title) *cough*

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Re. the humour in this game, I think it's still very much South Park-ish, but it's the type of South Park episode I don't like as much. It's more of the over-the-top, in-your-face shock version rather than the subversive, cleverer-than-you version. I think, for example, about the first game, and Canada being an incredibly clever implementation or the whole Koopa Keep vs the dark elves racial allegory, and... I don't know if there's nothing like that in this game or if it's just drowned out by the over-the-top shock humour.

So whether you like the humour in this game, I think, will depend on which "version" of South Park you like more. Which I suspect also depends significantly on your age and when you started watching South Park.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    hippofant wrote: »
    Re. the humour in this game, I think it's still very much South Park-ish, but it's the type of South Park episode I don't like as much. It's more of the over-the-top, in-your-face shock version rather than the subversive, cleverer-than-you version. I think, for example, about the first game, and Canada being an incredibly clever implementation or the whole Koopa Keep vs the dark elves racial allegory, and... I don't know if there's nothing like that in this game or if it's just drowned out by the over-the-top shock humour.

So whether you like the humour in this game, I think, will depend on which "version" of South Park you like more. Which I suspect also depends significantly on your age and when you started watching South Park.

I started watching in High School with the first season. . .we're talking about a show whose first episode had alien satellites coming out of it's main characters ass before moving on to mechanized versions of Hollywood celebrities, Kanye West turning into a fish and literal Turd and Douche as presidential candidates (this is before largely predicting that Trump might actually become president). It is still subversive, has definitely never pretended to be more clever than it's viewers and over-the-top shock is in the shows DNA (you botched an abortion on Gerald in the first game for goodness sake).

ED! on
  • Options
    edited October 2017

I started watching in High School with the first season. . .we're talking about a show whose first episode had alien satellites coming out of it's main characters ass before moving on to mechanized versions of Hollywood celebrities, Kanye West turning into a fish and literal Turd and Douche as presidential candidates (this is before largely predicting that Trump might actually become president). It is still subversive, has definitely never pretended to be more clever than it's viewers and over-the-top shock is in the shows DNA (you botched an abortion on Gerald in the first game for goodness sake).

Yeah. And those aren't my preferred episodes of South Park. Again, I'm in no way saying that the episode in this game is un-South-Park-ish. It's just, one of those episodes that goes outrageously over-the-top, slaps you in the face with the jokes so hard that you can't help but get it. There were a lot of quiet jokes in the first game, like the acronym for Kupa Keep or where the girls' base is or pixellated Canada and the border guard having to raise his own gate. I'm sure there are jokes like that too in this game, but the predominant memories of this game are not, I think, going to be of those moments.

I mean, I don't know if you've gotten to the end of the game yet, but it's... it gets really really over-the-top. I didn't find the abortion stuff in the first game that funny, and this game goes waaaaaay past that in the end.

It might just be a matter of them trying to jam as much South Park into the game as possible. There certainly does also seem to be a small issue of feature bloat in a game that doesn't quite seem deep enough to make use of them all too.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    It's all Ubisoft now, thankfully

"Thankfully?"

Obsidian is pretty much the only reason I played the first one.

You forget, UnbreakableVow is terrible opinions made flesh. :p

That said while Obsidian did a fine job on the first game all indications are that the combat in this one is better.

Combat was the weakest element of the first one, for sure.

And performance, which is reportedly much better in this one

Obsidian didn't write the first game, that was all Parker and Stone, so Obsidian played the role of "makes buggy games" like they always do with none of their writing to offset it and make them worth keeping around

Not to mention leaving lots of things on the cutting room floor, which is also an Obsidian staple.

(Said as someone who really likes Obsidian games)

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Game has a ton of soft locks, particularly if you're playing with a 144hz monitor. Future reference for anyone reading, play it in windowed or fullscreen windowed, true fullscreen is what seems to be causing the majority of soft locks for people.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

It was on Randy. Gerald only had a small cameo.

• Options
    Amazon FINALLY sent the code, two days late :/ It's also a uPlay code which is lame, should be Steam... wish these publishers would stop trying to have their own shitty versions of Steam...

• Options
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    It's all Ubisoft now, thankfully

"Thankfully?"

Obsidian is pretty much the only reason I played the first one.

You forget, UnbreakableVow is terrible opinions made flesh. :p

That said while Obsidian did a fine job on the first game all indications are that the combat in this one is better.

Combat was the weakest element of the first one, for sure.

And performance, which is reportedly much better in this one

Obsidian didn't write the first game, that was all Parker and Stone, so Obsidian played the role of "makes buggy games" like they always do with none of their writing to offset it and make them worth keeping around

Not to mention leaving lots of things on the cutting room floor, which is also an Obsidian staple.

(Said as someone who really likes Obsidian games)

No, Matt and Trey made that call.

• Options
    I think I missed a side quest for the third time fart. Anyone know if “Vigilante Marketing” is day 2 exclusive?

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    I think I missed a side quest for the third time fart. Anyone know if “Vigilante Marketing” is day 2 exclusive?

Holy crap, thank you for asking this. I looked up how to get it and didn't even realize I could get to the Farm on day 2. I would have missed this whole area entirely and my save game is right before ending day 2, so I think I still have a chance to check it out.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I can't try this for another week. What are y'all's takes on this so far? Good? Awesome? Did they improve the combat system versus the first game?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It's as good as the first game with the humor but the combat is a lot better. It takes longer with the strategy element but they balance it out by not making you fight so many randoms. The game is still obsessed with worthless scrap everywhere which is annoying but if you've been following the series you'll like the game. And because it's on the newer systems I've never felt any sliggishness or slowdown which makes it feel even better.

This is my character so far, when Cartman said the Blaster class was like Cyclops I had to pick it and try and create him, and with my available costumes this is the best I can do right now:

bXUK94j.png

• Options
    the combat is much improved. Spacing is important as is what set of abilities you equip your character with to compliment the ones on the characters you bring with you.

All stats are tied to equips separate from your costume so you can do custom difficulties or switch your stats around between healer, caster, and physical as you wish.

• Options
    Just finished the game.
    It kind of seems like they went with a reverse tonal order compared to Stick of Truth. Where Stick of Truth was kind of slow burn up until the what the fuck final boss fights, Fractured but Whole I feel was a wild ride from start to finish followed by a comparatively low key ending.

But man that sequel hook. I want to play the next one already.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Combat is much improved. Customization might be worse, as everything is just +Stats, no special modifiers or such. Loot is all just generic now outside of an initial small-text description that lasts 2 seconds when you pick it up before it's funneled into a generic category. Party members no longer comment on what's going on as you traverse the town and are only just summoned for battle, losing a lot of charm there. Then there's a couple other small downgrades like the run button being removed and garage doors not staying open so you no longer remember what ones you cleared.

The jokes are just as good.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I see this thread has moved mostly toward FBW; which is expected, but a forumer was gracious enough to give me a free code for Stick of Truth. I'm only maybe 2 hours in, but can someone give me like a top-5 or TLDR for starting as a Mage? Should I reroll, since I haven't really accomplished much anyway? I'm only maybe level 3 or so (I have to get Craig out of detention) and I'm still hitting people on the head with a stick wand.

Also, I seem to have missed some part of character creation to pick gender(?). I was going to make a hero modeled after my daughter but I was only able to make a long haired boy who likes purple and pink (hey, you work with what you're given).

I would normally hard-pass these games, but I watched a bunch of streams of FBW and I couldn't stop laughing at most of the jokes; so I'm giving SoT a run (and the humor has been exactly what I expected so far; albeit with fewer ass/fart jokes).

• Options
    You can't pick a gender in the first one, you're just assumed to be a boy. The second one you can, and even kind of makes a joke about the retcon if you choose a non-male.

• Options
    You also get to also pick sexuality as well as gender later on and can change them both whenever you want.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I see this thread has moved mostly toward FBW; which is expected, but a forumer was gracious enough to give me a free code for Stick of Truth. I'm only maybe 2 hours in, but can someone give me like a top-5 or TLDR for starting as a Mage? Should I reroll, since I haven't really accomplished much anyway? I'm only maybe level 3 or so (I have to get Craig out of detention) and I'm still hitting people on the head with a stick wand.

Also, I seem to have missed some part of character creation to pick gender(?). I was going to make a hero modeled after my daughter but I was only able to make a long haired boy who likes purple and pink (hey, you work with what you're given).

I would normally hard-pass these games, but I watched a bunch of streams of FBW and I couldn't stop laughing at most of the jokes; so I'm giving SoT a run (and the humor has been exactly what I expected so far; albeit with fewer ass/fart jokes).

Jews are the easiest class. Mages are second easiest, I think. At the start of the game, you do hit stuff on the head with your weapon a lot, but you should get the perks/gear that give you PPs on X, and then you should eventually get to the point where you're just blasting people with your Mage powers every turn. (Occasionally supplemented with power potions.) Also look for gear that give bonuses to elemental damage/PP - if you find a gear combo that heals you on damage and then gives you PP on heal, you're pretty golden for the rest of the game since your powers do many bits of damage. Look for weapons that apply DoTs - DoTs bypass armor, which is the main defense of enemies in the game, and they do a lot of damage.

hippofant on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Any tips for figuring out the blocking system, other than "git gud"? I'm using a XBO controller on PC. My block rate is roughly 30% atm.

• Options
    It has been a while since I played the first one, but I'm pretty sure it really is just git gud. There's no special tricks to make it easier, just gotta work on your timing.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The second game has one of the best random loading screen tips:

”If you suck at the combat in this game, try getting better."

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I think the best one is "This is a loading screen. It has tips about the game."