Options

Metal Gear: V Has Come To

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So for anyone who has beaten the game, doesn't care about spoilers, etc; Kotaku is saying there was a very important scene cut from the END of the game that shows up in bonus material of the collector's edition.

http://kotaku.com/one-of-metal-gear-solid-vs-most-important-story-scenes-1728467641

ugh

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    Hi hello.

I recently built a PC and got this game for purchasing my graphics card. I have not played a Metal Gear since Snake Eater.

I've been reading this thread minus spoilers...what in the hell do I need to do to understand the prologue.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Episode 11
    What an amazing boss fight...except I'm not sure how to feel about Quiet occasionally taking breaks to create rainbows and splash around. It didn't even seem like it was because I was taking too long to reach her.

Miller continues to prove that I should have left his ass in Dumpstertown, Afghanistan.

I find it really weird that they put Quiet in a metal cell, after she put handcuffs through her hands in front of the entire Mother Base command structure. There's also a hilarious little velvet rope around the cage. They seem worried about people getting close enough for her to grab them through the bars

But she can grab them through the bars

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Re: Quiet's deal
    it's dumb that she has to be mostly naked when The End was fully clothed

it's dumb that she has sexy torn up stockings when apparently keeping her skin exposed is pivotal

it's dumb that she's wearing a bikini instead of say, athletic shorts and a sports bra

it's dumb that even the game understands how dumb this shit is and gives you clothing options that would alledgedly kill her

it's dumb that all of her outfits are described as things that "she only shows to people she knows and trusts" like this is some kinda creepy fuckin' dating sim

it's dumb that her alternate costumes include bloodsoaked boobs, silver boobs, and gold boobs

it's dumb that this whole thing is nothing but an excuse to be as creepy and male gazey about her as possible, if the camera weren't showing the POV of a 13 year old boy with a hard-on this wouldn't be half as much of an issue

and it's a dirty rotten shame because so far i like quiet as a character. I like how much she intimidates everyone. I like her cool phasey superpowers and superhuman sight. I like how when I first took her out as a buddy she murdered a bunch of dudes I tranq'd without my permission, then shot me and ran off for a half hour before showing up to save my bacon when I got caught at another random outpost. In the abstract I like the idea of someone that has to eat and drink and breathe through their skin.

she's a rad rad character, other than the part where her character design is nakedly and unapoligetically exploitative

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Quiet is one of my favorite new characters in a long long time with maybe the worst design I have ever seen

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I don't know if you guys have picked this up already naturally, but I like to explicitly bring these kinds of things to peoples attention anyway just in case.

So when you dive and want to dive again, all you have to do is tap the stance button once then start hammering dive and you will raise up a tiny bit then dive again. You can buffer this, so you can start tapping the stance button during the dive then start tapping the dive button during the brief stand up. If you do it fast enough you don't raise all the way to crouch walk height, you only get about a 1/3 of the way up before he dives again. The dives come out really quickly in succession with practice.
    You can use this to do a sort of weird low level frog hop that is super evasive, travels pretty far at decent speed and keeps you really low to the ground the whole time. It has gotten me out of a lot of shit. A lot of shit.
    I also use it a lot to quickly snap over to the other side of a piece of cover, since it all happens low enough you wont get seen or shot even behind waist high cover.
    I had this one point where I was completely trapped behind sandbags and being V pincered (I was on the bottom of the V) and was using this to frog dive from one side of the low sandbags to another to take the top points of the V apart, without getting totally shot up as I would have if I tried to crouch walk or sprint.

It's not as stealthy as crawling of course, but its not going to get an instant alert unless you are really close to them. At close to medium distance they'll just go "hmm?" and torch/crane to look. At the same distance going to a full crouch walk before diving will often make them do a double take and call in people to check out that location, or walk over to me. At longer range, where crouch walking would make them go "hmm?" but not get an instant alert, you wont get seen, which is super fucking useful for getting over that tiny rock or ledge or sandbag you can't crawl over, without raising to a crouch walk and drawing attention. You can just dive straight over it without anyone batting an eye.
    If I've got people coming over to me or I'm in a position where I need to get over behind that piece of cover right the hell now but its a little too far to sprint and dive, I'll dive, then do this to dive again. Then start crawling away behind the cover. Saved my bacon so much.

Mission 11 spoilers
    I had no sniper at all for quiet, that mission took me by surprise. I used this technique behind low cover + timed sprints to high cover to get all the way up to her, then when she moved back to where I started I just sprinted straight out of the mission. She only shot me once at the start when I didn't know what was going on.
    I'll come back for her now that I've got a tranq rifle.

It also looks hilarious, as if BB's doing the butterfly stroke on land. Hup yah hup yah.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    More quiet
    wouldn't body paint be like the worst possible thing for her to have

i mean there was a time when people thought you really did use your skin in respiration and there's a fucking Bond movie where a girl gets murdered by being coated in gold bodypaint

• Options
    the diamond dogs' irrational fear of quiet, the only prominent female character so far, is not doing much to dissuade me of the notion that this isn't a mercenary group so much as a clubhouse full of 5 year old boys

at one point ocelot literally says "is this a mercenary group or a kindergarten?" and I think he is underestimating just how hard of a question that is to answer

• Options
    I don't know if you guys have picked this up already naturally, but I like to explicitly bring these kinds of things to peoples attention anyway just in case.

So when you dive and want to dive again, all you have to do is tap the stance button once then start hammering dive and you will raise up a tiny bit then dive again. You can buffer this, so you can start tapping the stance button during the dive then start tapping the dive button during the brief stand up. If you do it fast enough you don't raise all the way to crouch walk height, you only get about a 1/3 of the way up before he dives again. The dives come out really quickly in succession with practice.
    You can use this to do a sort of weird low level frog hop that is super evasive, travels pretty far at decent speed and keeps you really low to the ground the whole time. It has gotten me out of a lot of shit. A lot of shit.
    I also use it a lot to quickly snap over to the other side of a piece of cover, since it all happens low enough you wont get seen or shot even behind waist high cover.
    I had this one point where I was completely trapped behind sandbags and being V pincered (I was on the bottom of the V) and was using this to frog dive from one side of the low sandbags to another to take the top points of the V apart, without getting totally shot up as I would have if I tried to crouch walk or sprint.

It's not as stealthy as crawling of course, but its not going to get an instant alert unless you are really close to them. At close to medium distance they'll just go "hmm?" and torch/crane to look. At the same distance going to a full crouch walk before diving will often make them do a double take and call in people to check out that location, or walk over to me. At longer range, where crouch walking would make them go "hmm?" but not get an instant alert, you wont get seen, which is super fucking useful for getting over that tiny rock or ledge or sandbag you can't crawl over, without raising to a crouch walk and drawing attention. You can just dive straight over it without anyone batting an eye.
    If I've got people coming over to me or I'm in a position where I need to get over behind that piece of cover right the hell now but its a little too far to sprint and dive, I'll dive, then do this to dive again. Then start crawling away behind the cover. Saved my bacon so much.

Mission 11 spoilers
    I had no sniper at all for quiet, that mission took me by surprise. I used this technique behind low cover + timed sprints to high cover to get all the way up to her, then when she moved back to where I started I just sprinted straight out of the mission. She only shot me once at the start when I didn't know what was going on.

It also looks hilarious, as if BB's doing the butterfly stroke on land. Hup yah hup yah.

Episode 11
    you can actually beat her without any guns at all

if you use your binoculars to place a marker right on top of her, you can call in a supply box. it'll bonk her on the head and do 50% damage to her. Wait for her to run around a bit, do it again, and badda bing badda boom

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Mission 11 spoilers
    I saw her jump from one end of the mission area to another. She leapt like fifty foot straight up in a huge arc and vanished halfway up.

Early in possibly the other thread in G&T or maybe this one, I forget, I said that the Skull soldiers weren't too impressive because they were way too predictable and they'd be a lot more effective if they acted like real soldiers, taking cover and shit. And then I freaked myself out with that idea and decided I didn't want that after all.

Quiet is my nightmare made real.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options

Mission 11 spoilers

Episode 11
    you can actually beat her without any guns at all

if you use your binoculars to place a marker right on top of her, you can call in a supply box. it'll bonk her on the head and do 50% damage to her. Wait for her to run around a bit, do it again, and badda bing badda boom
    That is hilarious. I adore that this is possible.
    But I think I'll fight her normally with my tranq sniper rifle.
    I feel like not doing that would be missing out on a fantastic boss fight.

• Options
    i need someone to make a series of comics where the diamond dogs are a bunch of toddlers and big boss is their dad and ocelot and miller are slightly older children

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So, rolling around on the ground is a) super fun and b) surprisingly effective for getting away really fast when you have to cross open ground near some enemies, or everyone and their mum has got a flashlight trained on you, and is coming to check out that thing they thought they saw in the long grass.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Also, helmets no longer pose a problem for me and my tranq pistol, since I have just been shooting people in the face.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    i need someone to make a series of comics where the diamond dogs are a bunch of toddlers and big boss is their dad and ocelot and miller are slightly older children

So like Hook then?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What the fuck is up with this MSF soldier
    He is a fucking wild man

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I am on Episode 12 and I just cant do it:
    Everytime I get into the base someone sees me or that damn Gunship takes me out.

• Options
    Everytime I get into the base someone sees me or that damn Gunship takes me out.

yeah 12 is a real hard one

the path i took was, from facing the base head on, hug the rock wall to the right the whole way across

any other path takes you too close to too many motherfuckers

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Alexandier wrote: »
    Hi hello.

I recently built a PC and got this game for purchasing my graphics card. I have not played a Metal Gear since Snake Eater.

I've been reading this thread minus spoilers...what in the hell do I need to do to understand the prologue.

Prologue is kind of (mostly) self-contained crazy if you haven't progressed further in the game yet.

But if you want a quick rundown of what happened since Snake Eater, http://metalgeartimeline.com/ is a pretty decent reference.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    He is a fucking wild man

Yeah I used the Stun SMG for that one.

• Options
    as cool as quiet is

early on D-Dog seems like the MVP, no question

he can't kill quite as efficiently as quiet, but that's more than made up for by the fact that A) he does what you tell him to do 100% of the time right out of the gate and Cool Smiley) he automatically marks everything nearby for you

• Options

yeah 12 is a real hard one

the path i took was, from facing the base head on, hug the rock wall to the right the whole way across

any other path takes you too close to too many motherfuckers

I did that, I cut the power in the day time and it killed my phantom cigar when they hit alert status so see why it was off, I was like OHHHHH shiiiit

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    as cool as quiet is

early on D-Dog seems like the MVP, no question

he can't kill quite as efficiently as quiet, but that's more than made up for by the fact that A) he does what you tell him to do 100% of the time right out of the gate and Cool Smiley) he automatically marks everything nearby for you

Quiet becomes a lot more useful once you unlock her abilities. You can do cool stuff like coordinate shots to take out 2 folks at once, or just let her massacre an entire base

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Jeez, I really need to stop wandering the wilderness murdering guys and actually progress the game and unlock some of this stuff.

Because you guys sound like you're talking about a nearly completely different game.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    I haven't actually gotten her out in the field yet but i am kind of surprised everyone seems to like quiet's character so much?

like she does cool action (anime) stuff but does she actually do anything else

I tried visiting her in mother base and her current uh, facilities are not exactly filling me with confidence

• Options
    The most character she has expressed was when I took her out as a buddy

And that characterization was 100% mechanical which made it all the cooler

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So the Best Friends are playing this game

*spits into hands, slicks hair back*

All right, I am now fresh enough to watch this game being played

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    Beat the game!
    Chapter 2 was wayyyyyyyyy more interesting than the first. I'm not so much miffed about the twist as I am that we STILL don't get to see how Big Boss went bad.

• Options
    questionmarkman serious question

do you feel unsatisfied by the ending or does the ending still work without its

you know

ending

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So for anyone who has beaten the game, doesn't care about spoilers, etc; Kotaku is saying there was a very important scene cut from the END of the game that shows up in bonus material of the collector's edition.

http://kotaku.com/one-of-metal-gear-solid-vs-most-important-story-scenes-1728467641

Well this looks pretty rad

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    cool thing you can snipe power boards to turn them off from a distance
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Jeez, I really need to stop wandering the wilderness murdering guys and actually progress the game and unlock some of this stuff.

Because you guys sound like you're talking about a nearly completely different game.

The sheer breadth of tactical options in this game is mindboggling. Like, in most metal gears certain gear was simply better for a mission because the levels themselves didn't really allow you to take full advantage of other weapons.

In this game a sniper rifle without a silencer is a viable tactical option. Enemies only spot you when firing from a long distance if you've fired from that spot before and they are looking for you.
    If you act like a true sniper and reposition yourself before firing again, you can take out an entire base with a loud sniper rifle without being spotted. You've got the ability to take on most positions from multiple angles and in most cases can get yourself a height advantage.
    The levels were simply too constrained for this to be possible before.

Similarly if you are taking on a small outpost miles from anywhere else and you are fast enough, use your buddies wisely, you can take out enemies with a loud assault rifle in seconds without being spotted and without causing a HQ alert, especially if you use reflex to deal multiple headshots in a row. Sure you lose the reflex reward, but you make up for that in time.

In this game terrain can be a weapon, to a degree that previous Metal Gears could only really dabble with during rare big setpieces.

And it has real logistics! You can deploy your dudes to take out helmet shipments, and then enemies don't get as many helmets!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I bought the special edition. The bonus disc mentions the name of the episode or feature or what have you that we're talking about, and warns against watching it until after finishing the game.

I had no idea it was this big of a deal.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    I haven't actually gotten her out in the field yet but i am kind of surprised everyone seems to like quiet's character so much?

like she does cool action (anime) stuff but does she actually do anything else

I tried visiting her in mother base and her current uh, facilities are not exactly filling me with confidence

Quiet's first direct confrontation spoilers, but no further
    I really enjoyed all her face/body language in the post-episode 11 cutscene. She does cool shit, and it is legitimately cool, but she also totally sells her emotions without saying a word

I can't say how it goes beyond that very first meeting, but costume aside I am digging Quiet. On a related note, can anyone tell me how to get that alternate costume for her?

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    questionmarkman serious question

do you feel unsatisfied by the ending or does the ending still work without its

you know

ending
    If you mean the kotaku thing, yeah it still works but if I'm comparing it to the series then I'm still unsatisfied.

• Options

The sheer breadth of tactical options in this game is mindboggling. Like, in most metal gears certain gear was simply better for a mission because the levels themselves didn't really allow you to take full advantage of other weapons.

In this game a sniper rifle without a silencer is a viable tactical option. Enemies only spot you when firing from a long distance if you've fired from that spot before and they are looking for you.
    If you act like a true sniper and reposition yourself before firing again, you can take out an entire base with a loud sniper rifle without being spotted. You've got the ability to take on most positions from multiple angles and in most cases can get yourself a height advantage.

Similarly if you are taking on a small outpost miles from anywhere else and you are fast enough, use your buddies wisely, you can take out enemies with a loud assault rifle in seconds without being spotted and without causing a HQ alert, especially if you use reflex to deal multiple headshots in a row. Sure you lose the reflex reward, but you make up for that in time.

In this game the terrain itself can be a weapon, to degree that previous Metal Gears could only really dabble with during rare big setpieces.

i've decided to not give a shit about score until after i finish the game, but if ground zeroes is any indicator, the "no reflex" bonus is so small that it's never worth fretting about

• Options
    i'm up to, i think, episode 15

and i'm pretty sure i've heard every line from every trailer

with the exception that I don't think i've heard any of the lines from the language trailer

• Options
    oh wait i did hear
    keifer saying "Les Enfants Terrible, Zero called it"

• Options

In this game the terrain itself can be a weapon, to degree that previous Metal Gears could only really dabble with during rare big setpieces.

i've decided to not give a shit about score until after i finish the game, but if ground zeroes is any indicator, the "no reflex" bonus is so small that it's never worth fretting about

Honestly I abuse it to take out several dudes in a split second with rubber bullets and I feel like that gives me way more bonus than the small amount of points from not using it. Let alone managing to set up a chain that lets you wipe out an entire base in one long reflex sequence. The time saved completely overrides the reflex bonus in terms of score.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I discovered the custom soundtrack option today

Now my helicopter arrives to the opening guitar riff of The Trooper and it is the most baller thing in the world

In other news I really really wish they'd patch the game to fix the emblem creator on PC. I'd spend hours in that thing if I could!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    He is a fucking wild man

Yeah I used the Stun SMG for that one.

If that's the guy I think it is.
    the one with smoke grenades?

I had a huge amount of trouble with that guy.

Until I eventually got up close to him, threw a magazine, then sprinted straight at him while mashing the cqc button.
    He turned towards the magazine, then turned back and threw a smoke grenade, but didn't have time to start his charging flail attack bullshit before I got up next to him and cqc slammed him.
    He got up, so I did it again.
    He got up, so I smashed his face into a nearby rock.

He didn't get up again.

This discussion has been closed.