As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars Battlefront | We got Death Star, we got Death Star, we got Death Star

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    You've got to be kidding me...

It's out of stock, but sonofabitch if that's not one way to get me to order this goddamn game early.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    New official Battlefront blog post on how Heroes work exactly...

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/the-heroes-of-star-wars-battlefront-luke-skywalker

tl/dr version:
    • Hero is a pick-up on the map.
    • Steadily depleting health limits the use of the hero.
    • Kills replenish health.
    • Average uptime is 2 minutes, really good players doing exceptionally well might get up to 5 minutes, maybe even the whole round when all the stars align.

I'm getting a murder boner just thinking of dominating a whole team for a whole round as Darth Vader... *sha-whing*

Luke Skywalker gains health by killing things? D:

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    New official Battlefront blog post on how Heroes work exactly...

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/the-heroes-of-star-wars-battlefront-luke-skywalker

tl/dr version:
    • Hero is a pick-up on the map.
    • Steadily depleting health limits the use of the hero.
    • Kills replenish health.
    • Average uptime is 2 minutes, really good players doing exceptionally well might get up to 5 minutes, maybe even the whole round when all the stars align.

I'm getting a murder boner just thinking of dominating a whole team for a whole round as Darth Vader... *sha-whing*

Luke Skywalker gains health by killing things? D:

Sounds about right to me. I saw Return of the Jedi.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    So I wonder what kind of anti cheating measure will we have in place since we won't have admins to deal with them. If they add this to EA game time, then we're fucked.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    You've got to be kidding me...

It's out of stock, but sonofabitch if that's not one way to get me to order this goddamn game early.

ThinkGeek has you covered since you didn't really want to buy the game at launch.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    So I wonder what kind of anti cheating measure will we have in place since we won't have admins to deal with them.

This is a really good point. The only thing that keeps BF games from becoming apocalyptic hacking wastelands are the server scripts and active admins. I'm not entirely sure I'm gonna buy this now because it won't take long for the PC scene to get obliterated.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/star-wars-battlefront-beta-announce

Beta in early October on all platforms. Open to everyone. 3 modes. 3 maps. 20 vs 20 Walker Assault on Hoth. 8 vs 8 Drop Pod on Sullust. 2-player coop missions on Tatooine. Looks like a nice meaty beta!

Apparently we need to sign up for the beta on www.StarWarsBattlefront.com to get access, but so far I don't see how.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Open to everyone is a good way to get positive buzz going if you're confident in your product.

I played the BF1942 beta more than some retail games.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    So I asked about pre-loading. Their servers are going to be smashed to bits, but it's a day before the beta goes up.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/star-wars-battlefront-beta-announce

Beta in early October on all platforms. Open to everyone. 3 modes. 3 maps. 20 vs 20 Walker Assault on Hoth. 8 vs 8 Drop Pod on Sullust. 2-player coop missions on Tatooine. Looks like a nice meaty beta!

Apparently we need to sign up for the beta on www.StarWarsBattlefront.com to get access, but so far I don't see how.

No need to sign up:
    EA wrote:
    The Star Wars Battlefront Beta is open to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Origin for PC players. There is no need to register. The Star Wars Battlefront Companion is available during the beta to all players with an EA Account at www.StarWarsBattlefront.com.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    So I asked about pre-loading. Their servers are going to be smashed to bits. They are releasing the client the same day as the beta starting.

Nah I'm sure they're gonna learn the lesson from sixteen years of MMO launches and AAA games crashing on release day and spin up a ton of virtual servers / shard off client download from MP servers.

Heh.

• Options
    Correction, they are releasing a day early, so that isn't as bad for sure. I forgot it's the 8th the beta starts. I am an idiot.

• Options
    Nah, the Origin servers are actually really up to the task, and to be honest, this isn't that big of a release.

• Options
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    SimCity was also 2.5 years ago and was a much-publicized and embarrassing failure for EA that one would think they would prefer to avoid repeating.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is this game going to have leveling up or any sort of advancement path like Battlefield/CoD?

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Yeah, just like they were up to the task of SimCity...

Simcity did not run on the Origin servers.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Sorry for not keeping up, but what is "The Star Wars Battlefront Companion"?

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is this game going to have leveling up or any sort of advancement path like Battlefield/CoD?

Looks like it. The beta FAQ says there's a level cap of 5.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Jar Jar Binks.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited September 2015

I'm not really sure myself, I've found found nothing of it online. They mentioned "companion" stuff earlier at E3 this year and we all just assumed it was gonna be like the Battlefield thing.

Uhhh, they are talking about.... cards and strategy, and something called Base Command, so I am assuming it's like a trading card game that we can play... on our phones/tablets while not in game and earn stuff for our characters. Which.. ya know, fuck yeah, sounds great.

Eager to try these things out though! Wubba lubba dub dub!

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Wubba lubba dub dub!

How appropriate.
    Taranis wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Looks like it. The beta FAQ says there's a level cap of 5.

I'd be legitimately shocked if this game didn't have a progression/unlock system since that's basically "the thing" these days with shooters and it's an EA/DICE game.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I'm Mr. Meeseeks! Look at me!

They gave a bunch of details on the Base Command stuff:
    http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/connect-with-friends-with-star-wars-battlefront-companion

And it sounds pretty awesome!

Tablet/Mobile based custom card/strategy game you play against other people or computer. You earn currency that is used in both the card game and the main shooter. So you can get better cards/gear through shooting people in the face or playing the mobile game.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    Yes, I definitely want my gear in this game to be locked behind a fucking CCG.

I just wish we could go back to the days where you didn't have to play another game to play the game the way you want to play it. Don't lock my shit behind any other shit! Just give me whatever guns I want!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I just wish we could go back to the days where you didn't have to play another game to play the game the way you want to play it. Don't lock my shit behind any other shit! Just give me whatever guns I want!

Plot twist: Game content is locked behind the old Decipher Star Wars CCG.

Good luck!

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular

From what I saw, it's just an alternate means, not required.

253J736.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »

There will be exclusives. Or why would they even bother developing the extra stuff...

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Donnicton wrote: »

Good luck!
    I actually still have all my cards so I'd be fine.

Giving me another shitty alternative to shit I don't want to do isn't good! I just want a fucking "unlock everything, I promise I'll keep playing the game because I don't need Skinner Box F2P slow drip flashy reward mechanics to keep me interested" button in the menu. Don't make me jump through hoops for a gun.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'd actually try the companion if it's good. It does say no microtransactions so I'm already open to trying it.
    It’s important to note that there are no micro transactions in Base Command. The only thing you’re spending – and earning – are Galactic Credits.

If it's just some shitty flash game product tie-in though like those web sites you see on Poundland blind bags, I probably will skip it.

• Options

There will be exclusives. Or why would they even bother developing the extra stuff...
    I'm Mr. Meeseeks! Look at me!

No need to jump in the 'doomwagon.' There isn't any indication that the battle companion will offer uniques. You win the same currency via the card game that you do playing the normal game. This currency is shared equally between each game and you spend it on whatever you want. At lease, that is how it's being presented currently.

It's not foolish to expect there to be DLC to pay for, but giving people an option to earn it in different way (ala this 'star currency') is a far better option than just releasing weapon/armor packs for 30 bucks each.

Of course this is a lot of assumption because we don't have the game yet but let's try and discuss what we know and not our worst fears. ;)

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    That scene was like the shit icing on the shit cake. I mean... it nearly literally embodies the spirit of quality and shift in storytelling that preceded it. At least, in my opinion.

I know with Episode VII we're moving forward but I still have not got enough Vader in my life. I'm really excited to run around as him at some point during Battlefront. Like stupid excited.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I know with Episode VII we're moving forward but I still have not got enough Vader in my life.

Have you watched the Star Wars Rebels Siege of Lothal opening episode?

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I know with Episode VII we're moving forward but I still have not got enough Vader in my life.

Oh hell yeah. Rebels is awesome. And of course it's even better because they had Jones do the voice.

I've always hoped that Disney would do a Vader mini-series that chronicles his efforts to rise to power once Anakin dies. I just want to see Vader running around and being bad ass.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »

Oh hell yeah. Rebels is awesome. And of course it's even better because they had Jones do the voice.

I've always hoped that Disney would do a Vader mini-series that chronicles his efforts to rise to power once Anakin dies. I just want to see Vader running around and being bad ass.

It takes place after A New Hope, but you should check out the current Darth Vader comic series. It's mostly Vader being awesome.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Livestream coming up today for Playstation:

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    I'm never going to be able to contribute to a walker assault match because i will be far too busy just watching the walkers.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Aiserou wrote: »
    I'm never going to be able to contribute to a walker assault match because i will be far too busy just watching the walkers.

I guess that depends on what you mean by "contribute".

For example: if jetpacking up and going AT-AT surfing counts as "contributing", then sign me up!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |