As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Guide to Monsters: Goblins

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Does red actually make it go faster? Or is this just how humans perceive color as a danger and thus red only appears to make it go faster?

that's orkz. also no.

Also interesting the thing of insurance on red cars being higher because people driving red sports cars more recklessly has seemingly been stopped as insurance companies realized that now all sports cars are driven just as dangerously. Source: shopping for insurance recently.

With orkz red absolutely does make everything go fasta'. This is wholly because the Orks believe this is the case. Same reason their shootas work.

Orkz are da bes

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I see this thread deals with goblins

but what about

gerblins

that would be a separate thread.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular

but what about

gerblins

GOEBBELS?!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'm imaging a kid reading about bugbears, and then turning on all the lights, when things go bump in the night.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    I'm imaging a kid reading about bugbears, and then turning on all the lights, when things go bump in the night.

i used to have a very distorted owl call saved, which i would have linked as the bugbear call. it was creepy.

• Options
    Gnomes

Gnomes are a bit of a sticking point for some, they argue that Gnomes are clearly some kind of fey as they have innate magic and don’t attract other goblins clearly disqualifying them from being counted as such. While the majority points out clear genetic linage, and their close relation to the gremlin. This argument aside, Gnomes have many traits in common with goblins, beyond just living in filth and being generally gross, they possess the same kind of background radiation but due to their burrows keeping smaller they do not seem to attract much outside of random sprites and pixies already in the area. If they are doing this consciously or simply accidently can not be said for sure. Gnomes often appear as small humanoids, with white hair and tiny clothing not unlike popular depictions though they rarely get over a foot tall. Also most modern depictions leave out their many jagged teeth and rat like claw hands.

The Gnome possess two abilities worth note, first is the ability to go invisible at will, which is the main reason people argue they’re a type of fey, and they have soft bones similar to a mouse, letting them get through small cracks and holes that would otherwise stop normal creatures. A trait they share with the common gremlin. Most gnomes use these abilities to sneak into houses and steal food and trinkets, and generally make a mess of the place making a near by gnome nest a very bothersome problem though not a particular danger outside of possibility pixies near your house. Gnomes will always flee over fighting if possible, but if attacking their burrow they will defend themselves, however being physically weak they don’t pose much a threat outside of swarms and the biggest threat is that they can go invisible and attack unseen, leaving them very difficult to hit.

Most will assume being ransacked by gnomes to be a mouse or rat infestation, setting traps and eventually being angered when it happens time and again with nothing caught. This sometimes leads the gnomes to leave dice mice in the traps as either a present or something to calm people down, or maybe just to aggravate people. If you suspect your rampant rat infestation might be gnomes, this is the one and only instance i suggest glue traps. Gnomes are smart enough to avoid normal skill traps and can escape humane traps designed for rodents, but glue traps? That proves difficult for gnomes. Once you can confirm it’s gnomes, simply contacting a local expert can be enough to get you a lead on proper gnome traps, which once deployed and a few killed will mark your house as a danger zone where few gnomes will ever venture again.

If you’re set on destroying a gnome’s burrow however, bring flour or some kind of light powder to throw on the gnomes so even when they go invisible you can see them, this will make fighting them much easier. Burrows tend not to be too deep from the entrance instead spread out instead of down. Once the gnomes are removed, simply digging them up and turning over the soil should be enough to keep them from coming back. Aerosol rat poison also works, but many find the idea of using gas to kill tiny humanoids upsetting, but killing them with an axe less so. People are strange.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Would it be possible to domesticate goblins as pets?
    I mean, I know it probably wouldn't be wise, but are they in that range of intelligence that would make them smart enough to be trained but not smart enough to resent being kept as pets?

Before you judge me, consider, there are humans who happily keep rats, mice, snakes, children or large spiders for companionship. It's not hard to imagine a group of goblin enthusiasts.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    A friend of mine is a freelance writer who write a lot for Geek & Sundry, has just released a book about tabletop gaming etiquette and just generally spends all of her time playing and talking about Warhammer and D&D and MtG etc.

So a while ago she was interrupted in a games store while looking at Ork minis by some mouthbreather who basically said "The Elves are over there, heh heh, I don't think there are any cute lady Orks for you, heh heh heh"

And without missing a beat she said "No, there aren't. Mushroom spores from space make agendered Orks who identify as "Boyz". I wrote a foreword for a 40K novel once. Wanna play?"

Reminder - games stores are trashpits.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to domesticate goblins as pets?
    I mean, I know it probably wouldn't be wise, but are they in that range of intelligence that would make them smart enough to be trained but not smart enough to resent being kept as pets?

Before you judge me, consider, there are humans who happily keep rats, mice, snakes, children or large spiders for companionship. It's not hard to imagine a group of goblin enthusiasts.

The main problem with keeping goblins is that A) they're incredibly violent in a way your other examples aren't and B) they're just smart enough to undermine you.

So, I do think they they would resent being kept as pets, as well, one goblin still attracts other goblins so you might have one you keep away from sharp objects and dress up in doll clothing and have a generally good time with, but eventually a second goblin will show up. then a third, then a fifth, you didn't even notice the fourth, and so on in such a manner that now you have to gt the house professionally cleaned and fumigated.

In short i would suggest a rat long before a goblin. Rats can keep away mice at the very least.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Don't goblins heavily follow the strongest in the pack? If you were buff enough maybe you could keep goblins in line

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Don't goblins heavily follow the strongest in the pack? If you were buff enough maybe you could keep goblins in line

There is general truth to that, however that position is under constant contention leading to sudden and random attacks at all hours. This is why those who attempt to cultivate goblins tend to keep them off site and under the command of another, as no one wants to take up to something the size of a toddler wielding a large knife looming over them to attempt to prove dominance.

After all strength is proven by being able to win and survive fights, not just put those under you in line.

So to answer your question, yeah you can do that, but I would recommend against it because it's a good way to get stabbed a bunch with rusty knives.

• Options
    Rock Goblin

Sometimes the common goblin, the Rock Goblin is a prolific pest. Typically making homes in craggy mountains and hill sides, when they end up in civilized spaces they tend to head into the drainage systems as they provide both shelter and water. Commonly coming in at about eighteen inches tall and active mostly at night, they’re fairly easy to overlook most commonly not discovered well into a large infestation has been established. Aiding in their ability to hide, they’re also a greyish colour, blending in with the dark of the night, or the rocks they would normally live in. They themselves are not very smart, typically using just tooth and claw to fight, but they are trainable, as many hobgoblins will arm them with small knives and spears to act as sappers and cannon fodder forces in assaults, to say they have a low station within most goblin communities would be an understatement.

While dumb the common goblin is sometimes able to pull of amazing feats of arson and destruction. Able to harness primitive methods of fire, combined with their utter disregard with the safety of others they will often start small fires and leave them unattended leading to more than a few abandoned buildings catching fire suddenly. While this can be very costly to the cities it happens in, it also a good indication of a possible goblin infestation, leading us to investigate a lot of suspect arson for potential leads, as a stray ogre is likely to cause more damage than a burned down old mill.

The Rock Goblin itself is not a very large threat in combat, even in small groups, and they tend to not wear any armour or even much in the way of clothing making them fairly easy to cut down with impunity with the least bit of armour. The danger comes in larger groups as their ability to overpower a single person when outnumbered thirty to one as the normal weak errant blows add up quickly. For this reason when large infestations are found more indirect methods are used, as both a cost saving method and for safety reasons.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    1. What's the biggest type of goblin?

2a. Which three goblin breeds would you rank as the top 3 threats to adventurers?
    2b. Is this list in anyway different from the threat posed to totally legitimate archeologists?

3. In scandinavia we're pretty fast and loose with the monster categories. Anything humanoid and ugly is either called a troll or a giant (or both), unless it's either aquatic or a "vätte"/"vittra" (the fey of scandinavia). Are there scandinavian goblins?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

2a. Which three goblin breeds would you rank as the top 3 threats to adventurers?
    2b. Is this list in anyway different from the threat posed to totally legitimate archeologists?

3. In scandinavia we're pretty fast and loose with the monster categories. Anything humanoid and ugly is either called a troll or a giant (or both), unless it's either aquatic or a "vätte"/"vittra" (the fey of scandinavia). Are there scandinavian goblins?

1. Probably the bugbear for over all mass, though some hobgoblins are taller than bugbears. There has been artificially created goblins that are larger than both, but we don't currently count those.

2a. Hobgoblins probably pose the most threat to armed individuals, as they have weapons and know how to fight with them. however, if the band of adventurers have modern firearms it's pretty one sided fight.
    2b. grave robbers and people just expecting tracks should be wary of Gormblin, or the black goblin. Which is a fairly large goblin, about the size of a toddler, smart enough to develop weapons, and mean as hell. These are likely what most fantasy goblins are based on, though they're far less common than rock goblins.

3. We haven't encountered any specific to that region, but there are certainly goblins there. A lot of older monster words are generic things, even things called elves can be small goblins trolls, or even dwarfs. And dwarfs do not like being called elves.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Aren't gnomes known for being canny craftsmen and tinkerers? Or is that only in D&D?

• Options
    Aren't gnomes known for being canny craftsmen and tinkerers? Or is that only in D&D?

What DnD would call a gnome, we classify as an elf typically speaking. What Warcraft calls a gnome I just call garbage because fuck that shit. but personal feelings aside, we try to class our monsters more of traditional folklore than current pop fantasy if there is a conflict.

Plus if you find of these gnomes and put a little red hat on them they look exactly like garden gnomes. It's not even hard. avoid ginger gnomes however. That is, a bad sign.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Isn't a ginger gnome basically a leprechaun with money problems?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

Please refer to the documentary film leprechaun back 2 Tha hood For more info on leprechauns.

• Options

nope, completely unrelated.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    So are gnomes like smaller versions of jawas from Tatooine?

Joolander on
  • Options
    Joolander wrote: »

They don't really have a sand crawler and sell droids, so no, i don't think they're alike at all.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Is there such a thing as an orc or is that just another word for hobgoblin

Also how come the biggest goblins are called hobgoblins, hob means small, is it ironic like a big fat guy named Slim

Hobnail on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

1. Probably the bugbear for over all mass, though some hobgoblins are taller than bugbears. There has been artificially created goblins that are larger than both, but we don't currently count those.

2a. Hobgoblins probably pose the most threat to armed individuals, as they have weapons and know how to fight with them. however, if the band of adventurers have modern firearms it's pretty one sided fight.
    2b. grave robbers and people just expecting tracks should be wary of Gormblin, or the black goblin. Which is a fairly large goblin, about the size of a toddler, smart enough to develop weapons, and mean as hell. These are likely what most fantasy goblins are based on, though they're far less common than rock goblins.

3. We haven't encountered any specific to that region, but there are certainly goblins there. A lot of older monster words are generic things, even things called elves can be small goblins trolls, or even dwarfs. And dwarfs do not like being called elves.

I know it may be beyond the remit of this thread, but is there any known history to the enmity between dwarf and elf?
    It seems like a common thread in many current fantasy novels as well as stretching back to old legends and regional mythologies. I'm just wondering if there was some known event that caused the elf/dwarf schism? Or if it's more of a "It's always been that way, because that's the way it's always been" kind of things.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    What happens if you stuff a ginger gnome full of ginger?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

but what about

gerblins

God damn it Indie, I was literally just about to come in here and mention Gerblins!

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as an orc or is that just another word for hobgoblin

Also how come the biggest goblins are called hobgoblins, hob means small, is it ironic like a big fat guy named Slim

What we currently class under the title "orc" is considered a lesser giant like dwarves are, however they are more closely related to ogres where as dwarfs just seem to be tiny hill giants.

As for hobgoblins, i kind of assumed it came from the name of the pole in quoits, or the idea of a hob being a house spirit and people trying to keep them as like a house goblin thinking they could be trained like a monkey. they were of course wrong but, the name might have stuck.
    Polaritie wrote: »
    What happens if you stuff a ginger gnome full of ginger?

It would probably rip most of yoru face off before you could finish. those things are mean.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Are @Rorshach Kringle and I goblins?

If so, of what kind?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Noticing you ability to use the english language, and going by pictures i've seen, i'm going with no?I'm not convinced you're human but you're certainly not goblin

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I'm not so sure that Dwarfs are as much tiny hill giants as a separate line, with their similarities due to shared Titanic heritage (much like their Cyclops brethren).
    Their seeminly inborn talent for magical artifice and the tendency to once in a while produce dwarves gifted with illusion and shapeshifting suggests as much.

P.S: Never ever insinuate to one of the gifted Giant races that they're in any way at all related or affiliated with Hill giants. They do not respond well. Being chased through the depths of the Andes undermountains with an upset fire giant on my tail was not a pleasant experience.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

They don't really have a sand crawler and sell droids, so no, i don't think they're alike at all.

But they're both small, rat-like, collect junk, and steal people's stuff

• Options

I know it may be beyond the remit of this thread, but is there any known history to the enmity between dwarf and elf?
    It seems like a common thread in many current fantasy novels as well as stretching back to old legends and regional mythologies. I'm just wondering if there was some known event that caused the elf/dwarf schism? Or if it's more of a "It's always been that way, because that's the way it's always been" kind of things.

Honestly, dwarfs kind of have enmity with everyone.

Dwarfs are a oddly advanced sub-race of giants, able to produce mechanical wonders. They gained most of this knowledge not through inborn ability like they might claim but typically through simply thievery. They're like fucking Magpies. Not to say they aren't excellent craftsmen, but most of their designs were whole sale lifted from another source and then improved on using a myriad of different styles and techniques that they have acquired over the ages. They still know how to make greek fire and have the process of how to make Damascus steel, though it has seemingly fallen out of use over more modern metal work.

This will lead to conflict because dwarf traders and such will show up with what we'd consider counterfeit goods, or the weapons equivalent of the Obama sonic bag. And they take great offence do their "clearly superior" goods being called knock offs and second rate. It should be noted, they do make very good mechanical devices, knew a guy who had a dwarven made rifle, it looked like he made it out of scrap but it was flawless in operation. But yeah, tell a prideful craftsman his work is just two other things mashed together without understanding, and they hold a grudge. Add to that close knit communities and suddenly one person saying that this sword looks like a child drew it, and suddenly there is a feud with an entire dwarf clan on your hands.

• Options

Honestly, dwarfs kind of have enmity with everyone.

Dwarfs are a oddly advanced sub-race of giants, able to produce mechanical wonders. They gained most of this knowledge not through inborn ability like they might claim but typically through simply thievery. They're like fucking Magpies. Not to say they aren't excellent craftsmen, but most of their designs were whole sale lifted from another source and then improved on using a myriad of different styles and techniques that they have acquired over the ages. They still know how to make greek fire and have the process of how to make Damascus steel, though it has seemingly fallen out of use over more modern metal work.

This will lead to conflict because dwarf traders and such will show up with what we'd consider counterfeit goods, or the weapons equivalent of the Obama sonic bag. And they take great offence do their "clearly superior" goods being called knock offs and second rate. It should be noted, they do make very good mechanical devices, knew a guy who had a dwarven made rifle, it looked like he made it out of scrap but it was flawless in operation. But yeah, tell a prideful craftsman his work is just two other things mashed together without understanding, and they hold a grudge. Add to that close knit communities and suddenly one person saying that this sword looks like a child drew it, and suddenly there is a feud with an entire dwarf clan on your hands.

I have to say though, that seems like someone screwing up in a fable; judging things by first glance and getting punished.

• Options
    Yeah, but they did steal all of those designs so they only have so much moral high ground.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Where did the idea of "pretty" goblins come from because those pictures in the article looked absolutely hideous. Or is this just an example of the Internet fetishizing damn near everything?

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Where did the idea of "pretty" goblins come from because those pictures in the article looked absolutely hideous. Or is this just an example of the Internet fetishizing damn near everything?

yeah, i don't get it either. People seem to want to fuck anything that resembled a human, or that doesn't but could, or that doesn't, couldn't, and shouldn't.

In short between the questions of "how do i fuck this." and "how to i made soap out of sentient beings?" i'm starting to question my stance on "man isn't the real monster"

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    His Grace Commander Sam Vimes allowed himself to be convinced that goblins ain't so bad.

One was particularly good at singing.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I knew almost nothing about Warhammer's lore before listening to this guy talk about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MedgwIr6nRw&index=17&list=PLRPSeUSWAd6BXDruoad8f-J8Xt8q1yTrY

...and by the end of listening to it I was disappointed by what Games Workshop had done in the name of trademarks and branding.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Proper goblins run midnight markets and sell goblin fruit. I will not hear anything less.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2016

Because dwarfs are industrialist tinkerers that like to mold the earth and create things and elves are naturalist spiritualists that like to preserve nature and be at one with their spiritual element.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Yeah, but they did steal all of those designs so they only have so much moral high ground.

"Great artists steal" and so forth, but yes. But if they're slapping stuff together on intuition amd it works... that seems useful. Has study of their creations yielded any advances?