As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tales of] Your Mom - Best Dog Is Back

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The AI is so suicidal in this game.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    New Berseria trailer

https://youtu.be/oUKwtySJIpI

Japanese relase on August 18

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Honestly, the game isn't looking too hot, those bland environments in particular. Tales games from a decade ago are more stylish and colorful.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    So the Tales of Link mobile game came out in NA a few days ago. I've been playing it and it's actually kinda fun. Basically you collect Tales protagonists like Pokemon and fight monsters by connecting adorable chibi versions of said protagonists together. They're giving away tons of tokens right now so you can pull some decent heroes right away. The FTP stuff isn't really a hard sell... doubt you'd need to spend anything unless you want to get really deep into it. I've got Luke and Tear leading my party, and my husband was a lucky duck and pulled Yuri and Repede.

It does crash from time to time, but has excellent recovery.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    So the Tales of Link mobile game came out in NA a few days ago. I've been playing it and it's actually kinda fun. Basically you collect Tales protagonists like Pokemon and fight monsters by connecting adorable chibi versions of said protagonists together. They're giving away tons of tokens right now so you can pull some decent heroes right away. The FTP stuff isn't really a hard sell... doubt you'd need to spend anything unless you want to get really deep into it. I've got Luke and Tear leading my party, and my husband was a lucky duck and pulled Yuri and Repede.

It does crash from time to time, but has excellent recovery.

I just friend summoned a person with Repede and Yuri (and Cheria). I'm gonna assume that was your husband. :+1:

Pretty cool game so far. I like that even the random events seem to have actual dialogue/plot to them.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Yeah, kinda neat that even the current Idolmaster collab has a silly story, and all the characters involved act as you'd expect them to (Anise is awful, Leia is gung-ho, etc.).

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, kinda neat that even the current Idolmaster collab has a silly story, and all the characters involved act as you'd expect them to (Anise is awful, Leia is gung-ho, etc.).

I actually pulled a five-star Anise and Leia in their Idolmaster costumes. Anise's skill in ah-mah-zing. 10 LC to heal 5,000 HP. And her Arte does crazy damage and heals like 50% of the damage done. I am effectively immortal at the moment.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

I actually pulled a five-star Anise and Leia in their Idolmaster costumes. Anise's skill in ah-mah-zing. 10 LC to heal 5,000 HP. And her Arte does crazy damage and heals like 50% of the damage done. I am effectively immortal at the moment.

Lucky you! I've done two 10-pulls and not a single idol. I did get a five-star Tear, though. Game is determined that I'm running an Abyss team. At least give me Jade, then!

• Options

Lucky you! I've done two 10-pulls and not a single idol. I did get a five-star Tear, though. Game is determined that I'm running an Abyss team. At least give me Jade, then!

I don't think there are any Global Jades released yet, unfortunately.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Not permissable.

y65lx7pk92pe.jpg

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

I played a bit over the weekend out of boredom and pulled a Collette that doubles everyone's attack when you have >50% HP and was thrilled... then I started seeing the idol Anises pop up with over 11,000 modified attack and the 10 LP for 5,000 HP skill and got jealous. I hadn't even realized they had a drain heal too. Now I'm extra jealous, and kind of feel like I've hit a weird balance wall. I murder the shit out of most things, and most trash does basically no damage, but if a boss gets a turn, it's like 40% of my HP gone in one attack, and if they were using one of those "mark a bunch of symbols then obliterate it" things, it's an immediate wipe.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    So how good is Beseria gonna be?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Engrish subs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Sa4hzZYqY

Have to say, I was not that taken in by the last gameplay demo. I really, really disliked Zestiria's combat at about every level, from basic attacks on up. Berseria looks like its following that trend, but with some more interesting (gameplay-wise) characters and refinements. I'll still give it a try, but I hope they make another mothership title with more classic Symphonia/Abyss/Xillia combat soon. I'd even just take PC ports of Xillia 1 and 2.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Page- wrote: »
    Engrish subs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Sa4hzZYqY

Have to say, I was not that taken in by the last gameplay demo. I really, really disliked Zestiria's combat at about every level, from basic attacks on up. Berseria looks like its following that trend, but with some more interesting (gameplay-wise) characters and refinements. I'll still give it a try, but I hope they make another mothership title with more classic Symphonia/Abyss/Xillia combat soon. I'd even just take PC ports of Xillia 1 and 2.

Zestiria had some serious issues. I couldn't even bring myself to play with the completely broken combat camera. That's not to mention the completely missing story/going way to all in on the child character being sexualized because she's actually super old so it's TOTALLY OK GUYS. And the way too empty map... and yea... I really didn't like that game.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Been playing Zestria

A big resounding eh

At least I bought it on sale?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Zestiria's combat system changes had a couple major flaws:
    1)Forced party compositions are unfun.
    2)The stat boosts of mahou mode are so large you basically have to use it 100% of the time by the end of the game

On the other hand, the rock-paper-scissors of the art types was nice.

I also give it credit for making Rose's mahou form relatively tasteful.

But so far I've enjoyed the combat the most in Graces F and Xillia. Graces F's "clone party members" was great and I REALLY want that back.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    My problem with Zestiria was the camera was too close and the battlefield too small.

It really showed you the weaknesses of the AI as they had a hell of a time keeping themselves alive on most above standard diffs.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    My problem with Zestiria was the camera was too close and the battlefield too small.

It really showed you the weaknesses of the AI as they had a hell of a time keeping themselves alive on most above standard diffs.

Well, it didn't help that after a certain point in the game mage enemies start showing up in bulk, and if you didn't interrupt their casting they could easily turn the fight into a TPK in about ten seconds.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Well, it didn't help that after a certain point in the game mage enemies start showing up in bulk, and if you didn't interrupt their casting they could easily turn the fight into a TPK in about ten seconds.

Earth shaker was basically my "fuck this" button for those fights.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Did they ever unfuck the PC symphonia port?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

I pasted your post into Google (because it's funnier that way) and got no recent results about fixes. Checked on the Steam forums and it looks like Bamco has done some half-assed patches and a modder has released fixes for the remaining issues. So it's sorta mostly unfucked? People say it's at least stable now.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure it's *mostly* unfucked, but via external mod, not by Bamco. I don't think it ever got a 60FPS fix though.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmZq14W8eb4

Oh lord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dxtdCy0jbk

Yeah, I'm fucking 'wondering' some things myself.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Hmm. No TP. Looks like some kind of meter with those five blue diamonds though? Plus the three levels of burst whatever from Zestiria.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Hmm. No TP. Looks like some kind of meter with those five blue diamonds though? Plus the three levels of burst whatever from Zestiria.

Yea they already discussed the TPless system awhile ago. It sounded p cool at the time I was quite interested in it.

However this was a few months ago and I have since forgotten the details.. but something to do with the little diamonds being used for special attacks and they recharge overtime/from combos. Seems p cool and better than the tp system for a game where you are spamming special skills constantly.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    I'm all in favour of TP-less systems. I feel that the combat mechanics and general pace especially the trash is substantially better when you don't have to conserve TP for boss fights.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I hate the no-TP systems. With TP, low cost abilities always have a use. You conserve TP. You fight differently when you're saving up and against a boss, or you can go whole hog all the time and use items. In any case, however slight, there's variety and a little thought as to how you approach fights, even generic ones, depending on your situation, and actual resource usage and attrition are things to pay attention to.

And without it, every fight is the same. Get in, do your one most effective combo for that point in the game. Backstep away/Defend/Run around in a circle and wait for the gauge to recharge. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I hate the no-TP systems. With TP, low cost abilities always have a use. You conserve TP. You fight differently when you're saving up and against a boss, or you can go whole hog all the time and use items. In any case, however slight, there's variety and a little thought as to how you approach fights, even generic ones, depending on your situation, and actual resource usage and attrition are things to pay attention to.

And without it, every fight is the same. Get in, do your one most effective combo for that point in the game. Backstep away/Defend/Run around in a circle and wait for the gauge to recharge. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

That has never been my experience with Tales games.

When I need more TP I just fight a random encounter without using special attacks to regain TP which is zzzzzz. It's not really strategic as it's not more difficult or anything it just takes some extra time the thwack them to death.

Without TP it means you can always be trying your best to get the most damage out of every battle. The changes should come from varied response to enemies and gaining new abilities to expand on your combos and change them up. If you reduce any game down enough it's repetition of commands. "roll in circles until enemy misses attack and then press r1 the appropriate amount of times for whatever weapon you're using" becomes every encounter in a souls game for example.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    And TP systems don't totally break down once you get the chance to throw money at the problem? Or is there any reason why you wouldn't use the Fairy Ring or its equivalent once you get your grubby mitts on one and make the TP system go away?

As soon as I got the food that lets me restore TP after every fight, it's all over. There's no strategy to conserving TP. It's just one mindless slow ass grind on trash over and over again because you cannot afford to spend more than your 20% TP budget. I don't enjoy auto-attacking on a Second/Hard mode trash extending fights by a ludicrous duration because I have to conserve TP. I don't enjoy having to set the stupid healers to be on total passive mode because I cannot afford to have them expend TP on anything but the bare essentials. I hate having an awesome character who does a huge amount of damage, but they're spamming A A A A A A A A A because you've guessed it, they're only effective because their abilities combo nicely into each other. There's no challenge because the damn fights are designed so you can clear them without spending TP because you need it for the boss. And maybe even the damn boss you can just auto attack poke it to death because there's a stupid ass "Use no items" grade bonus. It's all busywork limping along, not enjoying the fights because you can't go all flashy, you can't experiment with different combos and abilities. Oh, you got a new ability that costs 40 TP? Pity its actual multiplier is barely better than 1.5 uses of your baby level 6 learnt 8 TP ability and guess what? That is the naked truth. All the artes have barely increasing multipliers especially when you consider the TP cost inflation. Admit it, it's a massive relief when you get TP cost reduction effects, or a cheap way to restore TP. Until then, you're holding your breath.

Even with TP systems, every single fight was the same. A A A (A) Basic Arcane. A A A A A A A Basic Arcane or oh! This mob is pathetic. A A A A A A A A A A A A A yeah TP recharge! Regardless of TP or no TP systems, the Tales games has always rewarded being as offensive as possible. The higher tier artes didn't do that much more damage, but they just lasted longer with created more opportunities to chain combos together or open up room via stagger locks. The only difference is if you have an item mule throwing Orange Gels at people to keep them topped off while they're stringing combos. Or if you whacked the Fairy Ring on someone and have them totally ignore TP forevermore in which case the basic A attacks just devolve into a filler ability while your main bread and butter is and always will be the artes.
    Want to make low level abilities still relevant in the late game? Have them have some compelling property. Destruction Field in Tales of Vesperia was a low level ability. Even when I got to the point that TP was irrelevant (which was just after the end of the first chapter) I still abused the living crap out of it. Why? Not because it was TP cheap, it actually wasn't. But because it was lightning fast, staggered targets like a smack with a ten tonne sledgehammer and shattered guards like nothing. And it was a Basic arte! Saying that TP-less systems devolve into get in, spam your best combo, dodge until you can do it again is being totally dishonest since TP systems get to that point before the half-way mark as well. You just have to suffer through a few hours of not interesting at all conservation bullshit before the game becomes fun.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    The changes should come from varied response to enemies and gaining new abilities to expand on your combos and change them up.

Should, but pretty much never do, and that completely holds for TP systems too.

And you're (both) already showing the choices that you have to make because of it. You want TP to be meaningless? Then you're giving up a valuable slot for some accessory, or a cooking turn for some other major boost. And I definitely prefer a standard item toss (automatically done from an AI no less) every now and then or a battle where I handicap myself to recharge TP because those are choices I made that become required because of other choices I made, as opposed to a mandatory 2-3 second timeout every single battle after every single combo because otherwise things might be too exciting.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    The changes should come from varied response to enemies and gaining new abilities to expand on your combos and change them up.

And you're (both) already showing the choices that you have to make because of it. You want TP to be meaningless? Then you're giving up a valuable slot for some accessory, or a cooking turn for some other major boost. And I definitely prefer a standard item toss (automatically done from an AI no less) every now and then or a battle where I handicap myself to recharge TP because those are choices I made that become required because of other choices I made, as opposed to a mandatory 2-3 second timeout every single battle after every single combo because otherwise things might be too exciting.

The thing is you're saying in one every fight is the same and that is a problem. But that part is no different for the TP systems. You still are following the exact same patterns.

• Options

The thing is you're saying in one every fight is the same and that is a problem. But that part is no different for the TP systems. You still are following the exact same patterns.

Aside from the attrition and resource management aspects, which were the very first things that I brought up.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Zestiria basically had no tp once you learned how to play, that basically was just spam AoE 24/7.

Same with Eternal. Symphonia. Legends. Vesperia. abyss.... Hmm.

Destiny was a bit more interesting in throwing just plain annoying shit at you.

Xillia 2 had a lot of gauge management though I wouldn't call that particularly fun.

Innocence kind of played better with chaining things instead of just dropping the best you had.

Hearts R had the whole defense breaking and knocking shit into the air like a dragon Ball Z episode which was actually pretty great.

Pretty much all Tales combat since Destiny with manual input has been kind of trash. Zestiria was actually something you could be good at, though. Also conversely really bad at. As I learned when I went back after a couple months and got pounded into paste by enemies I was grinding for stuff when I'd stopped.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Aside from the attrition and resource management aspects, which were the very first things that I brought up.

Just pointing out that it is an incredibly minor level of resource management. You could literally re-enact it by just spamming the attack button every 5th battle in a non-TP system.

If that's what you really prefer that's cool! But it is a largely pointless system.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    In case you missed it in the Steam thread, the PC versions of both Zestiria and Symphonia are each on sale for $7.99 on the BNE store. Use the promo code BNE15OFF to take another 15% off Zesty.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Have both of them but that is rad.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So can someone explain the Zesteria crafting system to me? It seems really... grindy and obtuse. I feel really weak playing the game and I think it's because i haven;t touched the crafting. But that's because i can't really understand it enough to make optimal moves, and making suboptimal ones seems quite annoying with the grinding weapons affinity up etc.

Is it bad or is that just me?

Although the game got significantly easier when i installed the 60fps mod. So much easier to dodge.

Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.