Options

The 2016 Conditional Post-Election Thread: II

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    There is already a database for everyone, somewhere in the NSA archives

Yeah it's not like we're NOT already being tracked 24/7. We're just going to go full England with it.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    At this point, I'm rooting for climate change. I'm looking forward to a dustbowl-like event pushing a horde of Trump supporters from the midwest to here in California so I can throw rotten peaches at them.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    The worst case that's likely in the first 2 years (for citizens) is imprisonment of transpeople in red states

I think this is a very real possibility and something that should be planned for

So if you believe this as your viewpoint, why do you try to invalidate others' beliefs in their own viewpoint?

"Sorry guys, your pessimism just goes TOO far."

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    How long does the Director of National Intelligence serve? Because I have the suspicion Clapper doesn't trust Trump.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I personally think Trump is playing the muslim card as hard as he is not for fear of ISIS (which he used as a talking point to get elected) but to crack down on work visas for immigrants to try and take off shore jobs back.

Trump had two ethnic targets in the election. One, Mexicans (and by extension other undocumented immigrants from the southern part of the continent) and this was employment-resentment motivated. Two, Muslims, and this was because of American frustration and hate for the various wars in the Middle East and terror attacks in the USA. These are not the same and should not be confused. Americans don't think Muslims are taking their jobs or that Mexicans are planting bombs.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    How long does the Director of National Intelligence serve? Because I have the suspicion Clapper doesn't trust Trump.

Literally just submitted his letter of resignation.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    increased deportation of illegals is in the power of the president, internment camps for citizens is not

Obama was already deporter in chief though and everyone defends him

Listen to the latest This American Life ("The Sun Comes Up"). It checks in with a bunch of people all around the US for their reactions, Trump and Hillary supporters alike. One of these check-ins is an all-female team of immigration lawyers. They said that right now the biggest fear is the uncertainty. That in the last 5 years yes, people were getting deported and receiving deportation orders, but the procedures were clear for contesting orders, for getting meetings with government officials, and for assuring DREAMers under DACA that there are clear processes and clear filings to get their cases resolved.

DACA is on the chopping block. Evidently these have to be renewed every 2 years. And because it's an Executive Order, Trump doesn't need Congress to stop the program cold by just not renewing them. And as for the rest--they just don't know. They have filings waiting to go through. It's unclear how everything will change on January 20.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    The worst case that's likely in the first 2 years (for citizens) is imprisonment of transpeople in red states

I think this is a very real possibility and something that should be planned for

So if you believe this as your viewpoint, why do you try to invalidate others' beliefs in their own viewpoint?

"Sorry guys, your pessimism just goes TOO far."

Because we can send objections to even our R representatives about doing things like what I'm suggesting and maybe get a response but if Trump's just going to take over and impose martial law there's nothing we can do

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    increased deportation of illegals is in the power of the president, internment camps for citizens is not

Executive Order 9066

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    If you really believe this is going to happen why aren't you building pipe bombs and practicing your marksmanship right now, because that's going to help you more than anything else after society breaks down (which it will if he does what you say)

Being prepared is not a bad thing. People pack 'bug out bags' for any number of reasons, including natural disasters.

Having a Plan A to fall back on (and ideally a contingency to that) if shit does go sideways, or even looks like it might, is not a bad thing.

Preparing to engage the US government in guerrilla warfare is a bit extreme (and futile for the same reasons we mock militias for thinking their AR-15 will protect them from Predator Drones if things actually got that bad).

As Haks said, are people sincerely actually worried that there'll be camps and ovens in the next 12 months? That seems extreme and unlikely. *However*, the more realistic risks of being blamed as 'the other', of legislation being enacted 'for their protection' or a blind eye turned towards law enforcement or civilian abuses of targeted individuals doesn't seem nearly as far fetched as it might've a few months ago.

Just like the CDC has that campaign about preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse that isn't actually about a realistic Zombie Apocalypse, it's about people planning for a potential emergency and being prepared to survive either in place or on the move.

I applaud the notion of staying and fighting for rights, I'm not saying millions should prep to flee to Canada, but as we've seen, people with families, with small children, those who are growing concerned by the rhetoric (the admin will pivot towards the center any day now... any... day...), having a plan and some preparations in place is better than not.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

Maybe Democrats will be less enthusiastic about the vast expansions of surveillance now that it's going to be used for more than just arresting minority drug dealers

This combination of hyperbole and fear mongering with Obama policies and downplaying of what a guy who openly advocates torture, ethnic and religious tests for immigration, ethnic and religious based mandatory surveillance/databases and other differing treatment under the law, mass deportation of undesirable ethnic groups, has a long history of ethnic and racial bigotry and has never been restrained by any democratic or societal norm is capable of or likely to do is fucking bizarre.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    mRahmani wrote: »

Executive Order 9066

that had like 90% public support, Trump doesn't even have 30% public support

override367 on
  • Options

Executive Order 9066

Elections.
    Have.
    Consequences.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Forar wrote: »
    If you really believe this is going to happen why aren't you building pipe bombs and practicing your marksmanship right now, because that's going to help you more than anything else after society breaks down (which it will if he does what you say)

Being prepared is not a bad thing. People pack 'bug out bags' for any number of reasons, including natural disasters.

Having a Plan A to fall back on (and ideally a contingency to that) if shit does go sideways, or even looks like it might, is not a bad thing.

Preparing to engage the US government in guerrilla warfare is a bit extreme.

As Haks said, are people sincerely actually worried that there'll be camps and ovens in the next 12 months? That seems extreme and unlikely. *However*, the more realistic risks of being blamed as 'the other', of legislation being enacted 'for their protection' or a blind eye turned towards law enforcement or civilian abuses of targeted individuals doesn't seem nearly as far fetched as it might've a few months ago.

Just like the CDC has that campaign about preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse that isn't actually about a realistic Zombie Apocalypse, it's about people planning for a potential emergency and being prepared to survive either in place or on the move.

I applaud the notion of staying and fighting for rights, I'm not saying millions should prep to flee to Canada, but as we've seen, people with families, with small children, those who are growing concerned by the rhetoric (the admin will pivot towards the center any day now... any... day...), having a plan and some preparations in place is better than not.

No it isn't, it's your duty if you care about this country to fight for it if you're able

If Trump is going to use police to throw citizens into labor camps en masse I absolutely will fight to the death to stop it and I can't imagine I'd be alone

override367 on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Executive Order 9066

Also we were in the middle of the largest war of all time and it was passed in reaction to Pearl Harbor.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Trump isn't going to set up internment camps for Muslims. He's going to set them up for Mexicans. Follow along:

- In his 60 Minutes interview, Trump said the following: "What we are going to do is get the people that are criminal and have criminal records, gang members, drug dealers, where a lot of these people, probably two million, it could be even three million, we are getting them out of our country or we are going to incarcerate." (http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/Trump-Says-He-ll-Add-Fence-to-Wall-Calls-10611473.php)
    - Deportation takes time. There are cases that have taken eight years to go through. Combine this with the potential for origin nations to flip us the bird and refuse to cooperate, and you suddenly have a lot of people you're trying to get rid of and can't.
    - Our prisons cannot handle an influx of 2-3M new inmates.
    - So what do you do with these people? Where do you put them while awaiting deportation?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Executive Order 9066

When's that number from? because the number of "Hey he's your president to you have to support him! You know, like the troops!" people is only going to increase for a while.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Trump isn't going to set up internment camps for Muslims. He's going to set them up for Mexicans. Follow along:

- In his 60 Minutes interview, Trump said the following: "What we are going to do is get the people that are criminal and have criminal records, gang members, drug dealers, where a lot of these people, probably two million, it could be even three million, we are getting them out of our country or we are going to incarcerate." (http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/Trump-Says-He-ll-Add-Fence-to-Wall-Calls-10611473.php)
    - Deportation takes time. There are cases that have taken eight years to go through. Combine this with the potential for origin nations to flip us the bird and refuse to cooperate, and you suddenly have a lot of people you're trying to get rid of and can't.
    - So what do you do with these people? Where do you put them while awaiting deportation?

I want a Farsi version of a little girl asking "why not both?" because both of these scenarios are likely.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

Into camps yes, like Obama is already doing

• Options
    I know that we've seen articles about how Stormfront and white supremacists are excited by a Trump Admin, but that reminds me, I wonder how the Militia movement will respond in the months and years to come.

Yes, there are obvious and pithy responses to this, but consider the fear and concern shared to date regarding administration actions that didn't lead to any of the outcomes they feared. "oh, don't worry, the Trump admin just want to take guns from 'the wrong people', wink wink, nudge nudge" and whatnot, but I think it'd take just one action that crossed over the line to really shake that up. One 'patriotic citizen' (white militia dude) who had their guns confiscated, even for totally legitimate reasons, and suddenly the government 'coming for their guns' that they feared might actually be real (from their perspective).

I'm sure there are a lot of people suffering from considerably less 'economic anxiety' right now with the Trump admin incoming, but one good shock to the economy, one unfortunate situation with a Sovereign Citizen, and I could see that fear roaring back into place.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular

Executive Order 9066

Don't move the goalposts. You said the president does not have that power, and the history is right there to show that the president does have that power and has used it in the past.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

So, uh... what do we reckon the odds are that Trump can be convinced that climate change is a real thing?

While striking, the repetition in these threads makes me look at that graph and think just one thing...

'That Y Axis tho'

• Options

Executive Order 9066

Don't move the goalposts. You said the president does not have that power, and the history is right there to show that the president does have that power and has used it in the past.

And a SCOTUS that has precedent for affirming extraordinary powers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korematsu_v._United_States

• Options

So, uh... what do we reckon the odds are that Trump can be convinced that climate change is a real thing?

While striking, the repetition in these threads makes me look at that graph and think just one thing...

'That Y Axis tho'

I'm kinda sick of this meme. There is nothing wrong with the y-axis on this particular graph.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

'That Y Axis tho'

I'm kinda sick of this meme. There is nothing wrong with the y-axis on this particular graph.

The meme has a reason for existing, but in this instance there is nothing wrong with the Y axis.

This is a wildly out of scope.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Yeah the Y axis there is fine.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    PantsB wrote: »

Maybe Democrats will be less enthusiastic about the vast expansions of surveillance now that it's going to be used for more than just arresting minority drug dealers

This combination of hyperbole and fear mongering with Obama policies and downplaying of what a guy who openly advocates torture, ethnic and religious tests for immigration, ethnic and religious based mandatory surveillance/databases and other differing treatment under the law, mass deportation of undesirable ethnic groups, has a long history of ethnic and racial bigotry and has never been restrained by any democratic or societal norm is capable of or likely to do is fucking bizarre.

I'm saying maybe you shouldn't have been such a cheerleader as Obama continued to build up ever toy a fascist could want

override367 on
  • Options
    Oh good, Washington State still has GOP ratfuckers:

http://komonews.com/news/local/gop-senator-to-propose-bill-criminalizing-illegal-protests
    OLYMPIA, Wash. - A Republican state senator who campaigned for President-elect Donald Trump said Wednesday he plans to propose a bill for the upcoming legislative session that would take a firm stand against what he calls "illegal protests."

Sen. Doug Ericksen of Ferndale said in a news release his bill would create a new crime of "economic terrorism" and would allow felony prosecution of people involved in protests that block transportation and commerce, damage property, threaten jobs and put public safety at risk, he said.

*facepalm*

• Options
    I'm sick of memes in general

A meme won the Presidency of the United States and in the words of Sideshow Bob, will "rule us like a king"

Put away the impact font. It's done. We're done.

• Options

I'm saying maybe you shouldn't have been such a cheerleader as Obama continued to build up ever toy a fascist could want

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_9066

Linked just up the page. These tools have existed for decades.

This is revisionism on par with saying Obama is the reason we are in Afghanistan. Don't do this, you are better than that.

A case can be made that Obama made use of Executive Orders more than he should have due to total shutdown of the legislature, but he invented none of this.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Sometimes, starting a Y-Axis at zero would make a graph unable to visually display the trend, defeating the purpose of even having a graph. You start that graph at zero and the visual precision isn't there, even though there is a noticeable trend there.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Executive Order 9066

And a SCOTUS that has precedent for affirming extraordinary powers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korematsu_v._United_States
    Congress had to play along, too. Passed a law to provide for enforcement of the order, and lay out penalties for resisting it.

Which is only comforting if the filibuster continues to exist and some enterprising Democrat or never-Trump Republican Senator has the stones to wield it.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    A theoretically more productive bit of civil disobedience/protest IMO

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    syndalis wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_9066

Linked just up the page. These tools have existed for decades.

This is revisionism on par with saying Obama is the reason we are in Afghanistan. Don't do this, you are better than that.

A case can be made that Obama made use of Executive Orders more than he should have due to total shutdown of the legislature, but he invented none of this.

You're being revisionist here man, there were many spirited debates on this very forum every time the surveillance state and the quazi legal apparatus of the war on terror came up (and the enthusiastic manner in which the Obama admin expanded them)

as to order 9066, the president had the support of: the public, the courts, the congress, and the states

Yes, it's possible that Trump either has all the justices killed, or simply stacks the court and adds a dozen demagogues, and it's possible congress is fine with this, and it's possible there aren't a thousand armed insurrections he needs to deal with and it's possible that the military is also okay with this

But I think maybe panicking about him throwing people in camps under emergency powers after WW3 starts is a bit premature when he hasn't taken the oath of office yet

override367 on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Executive Order 9066

Seriously, what the fuck does Trump give a shit about poll numbers?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Guys, I'm not saying that the graph is wrong.

I'm saying that we've seen so many shitty graphs and it's come up so often that it's a damned reflex at this point.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Executive Order 9066

Seriously, what the fuck does Trump give a shit about poll numbers?

Gonna be kind of hard to impose martial law on the whole of America when all of the population centers are against you! I imagine the military occupation might be hard for him to pull off

You guys seem to think otherwise but idk

• Options
    Guys, I'm not saying that the graph is wrong.

I'm saying that we've seen so many shitty graphs and it's come up so often that it's a damned reflex at this point.

You must fight against the normalization of memetic evil everywhere you see it, be it graphs on a forum or the Oval Fucking Office.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    A theoretically more productive bit of civil disobedience/protest IMO

I think that the Republicans will make this hilarious bit of "I'm Spartacus!" irrelevant by amending it to be a registry of immigrants from Muslim countries.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    The strategy appears to be: try to focus attention on the areas where Trump hedged liberal-populist like maternity leave and etc. Make that the issue. Then, if Trump sides with you and you can get it to pass, then congratulations! You managed to get the country maternity leave passed and that's incredible. On the other hand, if Trump sides against you and kills it, then you've forced him to eat his words and you're positioned to yank back the mantle of economic populism.

Seems plenty intelligible to me.

Yeah and the only thing that worries me is letting him claim those victories

but then, if one of them ends up running in 2020 they are also their victories

This is literally the GOP's reasoning for not working with Obama: because it would give him the "win" of doing something

Yup.

And it's worked out pretty damn well for them so far.

The difference is that the Republicans control the legislature.
    If Trump, through some quirk of what pass of his mental process, want to pass a law that is not terrible, it makes sense for the Democrats to support it, and let the Republicans oppose it.
    Assuming no riders, etc.
    If and when those happen, then the Dems should point them out, and say they have a clean version that is good for all Americans.

I don't think Republicans will oppose whatever it is, though

Let's not forget that they have shown a remarkable lack of spine and principle this year alone

As a whole I do not expect them to start taking principled stands now

Unlikely scenario A):
    The Republicans and Trump want to pass paid parental leave, with no riders or other problems.
    Democrats oppose. It passes, Democrats opposed paid parental leave and get Campbelled* (that's down to 2 seats).

Unlikely scenario B):
    Trump want to pass paid parental leave, with no riders or other problems.
    Republican oppose because they want to add riders.
    Democrats oppose. It passes with riders, Democrats opposed paid parental leave and get Campbelled.

Unlikely scenario C):
    Republican oppose because they want to add riders.
    Democrats are willing to pass it as-is. It passes with riders, Democrats can point out they tried to help all Americans, but the Republicans wanted to only help rich white people.

Unlikely scenario D):
    Republican oppose because they are Republicans.
    Democrats are willing to pass it as-is. It fails, Democrats can point out they tried to help all Americans, but the Republicans wanted to only help rich white people.
    Trump is now fighting with the Republicans.

If and only if Trump pushes for sane policies that the Democrats wanted and have been pushing for years, automatic opposition is worst.
    You just lost an election in part because your voters don't trust your party.

*Should be Mulroney'ed but Campbell got stuck with the fallout.

What's the likely scenario here if those are all unlikely?

This discussion has been closed.