Options

The Trump Administration Thread Is Now Happening

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »
    Ardol wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    LoisLane wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

You and Trump are not on the same side.

He got here largely because of the prejudices against Mexicans, Muslims, women, etc that him and his base share. We're talking about someone who was endorsed by the KKK and who, after November 8th, witnessed the same thing that we all did: people emboldended to commit hate crimes because of the win of their preferred presidential candidate. That is what his win inspired.

Weird, I thought he got there because people were sick of being unemployed because their jobs were being sent overseas.

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You do realize that the voters who cared the most about the economy voted for Hillary right?

I don't realize that because I don't think it's true, but that's just my opinion and I have no consensus data so it'd be conjecture at best on my part.

Your sentence. . . it makes no sense.

It's one of the few reasons I support him, but I can't speak for everyone else that supports him because I didn't go out and poll them.

You have been conned.

Maybe a few thousand manufacturing jobs will return to the United States. It will look good in headlines. What will not show up in the headlines is the accelerating collapse of labor protection and wages and the return of Gilded Age exploitation of labor you once thought was only allowed overseas, except with less purchasing power than ever before. Meanwhile, the cost of health care will rise at a higher yearly rate than ever before as insurance pools once again return to silo'd pockets of The Very Sick and Old, fatalities and QOL lost to preventable conditions rise, and insurance companies are freed from the onerous burden of providing coverage for medical conditions that your sky-rocketing premiums allegedly paid for.

You're welcome to your low-paying, marginal right to work that will sicken you, impoverish you, and add next to nothing to society or GDP, for the sake of a pleasant headline.

I hope in 8 years we can revisit this comment and you'll be wrong.

If you're right though, then I blame Obama for telling me not to vote for Hillary :/

Obama repeatedly and enthusiastically campaigned for Hillary, can't blame him.

After repeatedly and enthusiastically campaigning against her in 2008.

you're not really this clueless are you?

I don't feel that I am clueless. Why are you attacking me personally?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The 'there's no room for predjudice if you're patriotic' line is concerning for several reasons. It sounds a lot like they tried to tap into the same 'love trumps hate' catchphrase

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2017
    If you're attacking posters rather than arguments, you're the one being a shithead. I'm right here in the thread, I'm going to see if people are breaking the rules. I don't need a bunch of volunteers to be forum Batman. Use the report button if there's a problem

Tube on
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    The 'there's no room for predjudice if you're patriotic' line is concerning for several reasons. It sounds a lot like they tried to tap into the same 'love trumps hate' catchphrase

Yeah that sounds an awful lot like 'You can't be prejudiced if you love America (and by extension Trump). If you don't? well...'

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

He got here largely because of the prejudices against Mexicans, Muslims, women, etc that him and his base share. We're talking about someone who was endorsed by the KKK and who, after November 8th, witnessed the same thing that we all did: people emboldended to commit hate crimes because of the win of their preferred presidential candidate. That is what his win inspired.

Weird, I thought he got there because people were sick of being unemployed because their jobs were being sent overseas.

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You do realize that the voters who cared the most about the economy voted for Hillary right?

I don't realize that because I don't think it's true, but that's just my opinion and I have no consensus data so it'd be conjecture at best on my part.

It's one of the few reasons I support him, but I can't speak for everyone else that supports him because I didn't go out and poll them.

You have been conned.

Maybe a few thousand manufacturing jobs will return to the United States. It will look good in headlines. What will not show up in the headlines is the accelerating collapse of labor protection and wages and the return of Gilded Age exploitation of labor you once thought was only allowed overseas, except with less purchasing power than ever before. Meanwhile, the cost of health care will rise at a higher yearly rate than ever before as insurance pools once again return to silo'd pockets of The Very Sick and Old, fatalities and QOL lost to preventable conditions rise, and insurance companies are freed from the onerous burden of providing coverage for medical conditions that your sky-rocketing premiums allegedly paid for.

You're welcome to your low-paying, marginal right to work that will sicken you, impoverish you, and add next to nothing to society or GDP, for the sake of a pleasant headline.

If you're right though, then I blame Obama for telling me not to vote for Hillary :/

You're cherrypicking something massively out of context to absolve yourself of any personal responsibility while repeatedly falling back on personal ignorance and personal feelings in the face of evidence to the contrary.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

Obama ran agaisnt her in 2008 THAN MADE HER SECRETARY OF STATE

yet somehow he didn't endorse her enough?

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    putin_s_poodle_by_jollyjack-darfuzg.jpg

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

What was the thing that Obama said to convince you that Hillary was awful?

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

What was the thing that Obama said to convince you that Hillary was awful?

Would you accept a PM? I don't think we're supposed to talk about the election in this thread.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt @imdointhis, as you seem more misinformed than anything resembling vindictive, and simply suggest that you don't have much to gain by participating in this thread. But we're all in this together so I wish you the best too.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Patriotism is one of the most pronounced sources of prejudice, full stop.

Whoever wrote that (for his speech) is a moron.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

Boy it's a good thing Trump has a twitter account.

Projection?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Whelp, confirmation that time travel definitely doesn't exist.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

No, just a racist nationalist.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Well, if it wasn't answered before, it is now. Obama's getting to keep his Twitter account, and Trump is getting a fresh one.

https://twitter.com/potus44

https://twitter.com/POTUS

He hasn't tweeted yet on this account. Holy crap, is that picture a scowl!

He is, however, still tweeting on his personal account post-inaguration, despite whatever switching happened on his phone.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Did not watch. Took a nap and played WoW instead. What were the highlights? Did we get any racial slurs in the Presidential Inauguration?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

No. I'm sure they knew exactly what they were saying.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

Oh man, that is brilliant.

"You can't be racist if you love your country." No one is going to think about it for two seconds. They just want their leader to tell them they are good and smart. Not like those other people.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Picking a fight with finns is like invading Russia on foot.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I was honestly not expecting that.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Did not watch. Took a nap and played WoW instead. What were the highlights? Did we get any racial slurs in the Presidential Inauguration?

White, black and brown all bleed the red blood of PATRIOTISM.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Well, it's been like fifteen minutes and we haven't blown ourselves, or anyone else up quite yet. So that's something to be proud of.

Only 2103825 minutes to go!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    So they're already purging .gov websites of climate change and LGBT rights documents.

(ex. https://www.dol.gov/asp/policy-development/lgbt-workers.htm - the "advancing LGBT workplace rights" link vanished in the last hour.)

As has https://www.whitehouse.gov/energy/climate-change

Internet archive from yesterday
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170119044801/https://www.whitehouse.gov/energy/climate-change
    dear lord

In fairness, the entire whitehouse.gov site got scrubbed and replaced. The sites to watch closely are the rest of the executive branch -- e.g., does noaa.gov scrub all mention of climate change?

And obamawhitehouse.gov exists too as an archive.

NARA's need to archive all the born digital resources from the last 8 years is actually pretty fascinating.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Is.. this a good thing? Was Ben Carson approved?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Seeing POTUS next to his name is fucking sickening.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Well, if it wasn't answered before, it is now. Obama's getting to keep his Twitter account, and Trump is getting a fresh one.

https://twitter.com/potus44

https://twitter.com/POTUS

He hasn't tweeted yet on this account. Holy crap, is that picture a scowl!

He is, however, still tweeting on his personal account post-inaguration, despite whatever switching happened on his phone.

Tiny American flags for everyone!

• Options
    Okay, the new POTUS account is starting to become alive, they just uploaded a picture of Trump in what appears to be the Oval Office, looking out over his new dominion.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Not sure it's a very technical change that has to do with how you view the economy. If you think it's shit then it's a dumb move. If you think it's hot then it's a good move

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Okay, the new POTUS account is starting to become alive, they just uploaded a picture of Trump in what appears to be the Oval Office, looking out over his new dominion.

Goodbye, tasteful decor

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular

How long til someone's photoshopped it to have everything on fire.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

based on http://www.marketwatch.com/story/after-mortgage-rate-spike-fha-to-cut-insurance-premium-2017-01-09 I think it's a bad thing. FHA allows borrowers to take out home loans with low interest rates. They recently ruled that they were going to lower their premium rates, allowing borrowers to save money. Based on that tweet, it seems the new administration's HUD suspended that ruling.

I admit to not knowing much about it and came to that conclusion just from a cursory glance, so if I'm getting that wrong and anyone is more learned on the subject, please correct me

• Options

Goodbye, tasteful decor

Actually, Obama's interior design skills were a huge disappointment.

Also the lack of Federal graphics updates.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

how long before everything is literally on fire?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Ah, they changed the background photo from a picture of Obama's inauguration.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

https://youtu.be/tVJL4orS9zI

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular

Didn't he say he wrote it himself? So yeah, that fits.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular

Photoshopped?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options

Ah, they changed the background photo from a picture of Obama's inauguration.

It was a generic flag when I originally looked at the accounts.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    "Zomro wrote: »

'Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious'
    Oscar Wilde

So true.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. - Samuel Johnson

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    That speech wasn't about patriotism, it was about jingoism. It was Trump telling his supporters that they and only they are owners of the US. No amount of "greater good" type of reasoning is going to convince these people. The guy who most convincingly says, "Fuck everything else, this is about you getting yours" to these types of folks is the one that gets them on board.

I'm being really cynical. But the only thing that gave me hope when I was looking at the faces of all those white people wearing red ball caps is the fact that they were all really old.

This discussion has been closed.