LoisLane wrote: »
    imdointhis wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

You and Trump are not on the same side.

He got here largely because of the prejudices against Mexicans, Muslims, women, etc that him and his base share. We're talking about someone who was endorsed by the KKK and who, after November 8th, witnessed the same thing that we all did: people emboldended to commit hate crimes because of the win of their preferred presidential candidate. That is what his win inspired.

Weird, I thought he got there because people were sick of being unemployed because their jobs were being sent overseas.

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You do realize that the voters who cared the most about the economy voted for Hillary right?

I don't realize that because I don't think it's true, but that's just my opinion and I have no consensus data so it'd be conjecture at best on my part.

Your sentence. . . it makes no sense.

I've been running into a lot of this on Facebook. I have no idea how to respond to it there either?

The closest I can come up with is "Your opinion is the hollow echo of platitudes expressed by liars and bigots around you. I implore you to find some facts before restating things you don't understand."

But it feels kinda goosey.

If they don't care they don't care.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR HEART TO PATRIOTISM THERE IS NO ROOM FOR PREJUDICE- Donald John Trump, 45th President of the United States of America.

I for one hope all people of all races can come together in harmony and set our differences aside.

I love you all.

'Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious'
    Oscar Wilde

So true.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    $5 says it's Sheriff Joe. Having chosen this hill to die on he's been doing his best to go out angry and at maximum volume.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    So they're already purging .gov websites of climate change and LGBT rights documents.

(ex. https://www.dol.gov/asp/policy-development/lgbt-workers.htm - the "advancing LGBT workplace rights" link vanished in the last hour.)

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kaputa wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR HEART TO PATRIOTISM THERE IS NO ROOM FOR PREJUDICE- Donald John Trump, 45th President of the United States of America.

I for one hope all people of all races can come together in harmony and set our differences aside.

I love you all.

This is not as inspirational as you think it is
    It is if you are a nationalist.

If you are not a nationalist it just seems like another form of prejudice.

The speech was basically "NATIONALISM."

Disagree. It sounds inspirational if you are a jingoistic white supremacist. Especially when you append the quote with the name of the man who said it.

It's nationalist only by the Republican definition of nationalist. The one with "white" in front of it.
    His only mention of race was to say that he'd make America great again regardless of whether you're "black, brown, or white" or something along those lines

I don't believe him, of course. His campaign was clearly geared toward stoking racist sentiment and I believe that's a significant part of what carried him to victory.

But the speech itself was not ethnically focused. If you already regard Trump as racist it's easy to add "white" before every mention of America, and it may be that that's how much of his base interprets his statements, but the speech itself seemed more generally nationalist than ethnically nationalist.

Maybe given the context of Trump's campaign it is reasonable to interpret it the way you are, though. I don't fucking know what's going on anymore.

I think you are letting a dislike of nationalism get in the way of seeing what he's saying. He doesn't need to mention race. The same way "Make America Great Again" doesn't mention race but is absolutely and obviously very much about race. His speech is clearly designed along the same lines. When he talks about patriotism, he's talking about the kind muslims can't be a part of.

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    So they're already purging .gov websites of climate change and LGBT rights documents.
    Source? Because, what.

Fantastic
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    CBC has an unofficial transcript of the speech here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-inauguration-speech-1.3944939
    (full thing in spoilers)
    Chief Justice Roberts, President Carter, President Clinton, President Bush, President Obama, fellow Americans and people of the world, thank you.

We the citizens of America are now joined in a great national effort to rebuild our country and restore its promise for all of our people. [applause] together we will determine the course of America and the world for many, many years to come. We will face challenges. We will confront hardships. But we will get the job done.

Every four years, we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful transfer of power. And we are grateful to president Obama and first lady Michelle Obama for the gracious aid throughout this transition. They have been magnificent. Thank you. Today's ceremony, however, has very special meaning. Because today we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another. Or from one party to another.

But we are transferring power from Washington, D.C., And giving it back to you, the people. For too long, a small group in our nation's capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have born the cost. Washington flourished, but the people did not share in its wealth. Politicians prospered, but the jobs left and the factories closed.

The establishment protected itself, but not the citizens of our country. Their victories have not been your victories. Their triumphs have not been your triumphs and while they celebrated in our nation's capital, there was little to celebrate for struggling families all across our land. That all changes starting right here and right now. Because this moment is your it belongs to everyone gathered here today and everyone watching all across America. This is your day. This is your celebration.

And this, the United States of America, is your country. What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20, 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer. Everyone is listening to you now. You came by the tens of millions to become part of a historic movement, the likes of which the world has never seen before.

At the centre of this movement is a crucial conviction. That a nation exists to serve its citizens. Americans want great schools for their children, safe neighbourhood for their families and good jobs for themselves. These are just and reasonable demands of righteous people and a righteous public.

But for too many of our citizens, a different reality exists. Mothers and children trapped in poverty in our inner cities. Rusted out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape of our nation. An education system flush with cash, but which leaves our young and beautiful students deprived of all knowledge. And the crime and the gangs and the drugs that have stolen too many lives and robbed our country of so much unrealized potential. This American carnage stops right here and stops right now.

We are one nation and their pain is our dream. Their dreams are our dreams. And their success will be our success. We share one heart, one home, and one glorious destiny. The oath of office I take today is an oath of allegiance to all Americans.

For many decades, we've enriched foreign industry at the expense of American industry, subsidized the armies of other countries while allowing for the very sad depletion of our military. We've defended other nations' borders while refusing to defend our own. And spent trillions and trillions of dollars overseas while America's infrastructure has fallen into disrepair and decay. We've made other countries rich while the wealth, strength and confidence of our country has dissipated over the horizon.

One by one, the factories shuttered and left our shores with not even a thought about the millions or millions of American workers that were left behind. The wealth of our middle class has been ripped from their homes and distributed all across the world. But that is the past. And now we are looking only to the future. We assembled here today are issuing a new decree to be heard in every city, in every foreign capital, and in every hall of power. From this day forward, a new vision will govern our land.

From this day forward, it's America first. Every decision on trade, on taxes, on immigration, on foreign affairs will be made to benefit American workers and American families. We must protect our borders from the ravages of other countries, making our products, stealing our companies, and destroying our jobs. Protection will lead to great prosperity and strength. I will fight for you with every breath in my body and I will never, ever let you down. America will start winning again. Winning like never before.

We will bring back our jobs, we will bring back our borders, we will bring back our wealth and we will bring back our dreams. We will build new roads and highways and bridges and airports and tunnels and railways all across our wonderful nation.

We will get our off of welfare and back to work, rebuilding our country with American hands and American labor! We will follow two simple rules — buy American and hire American. We will seek friendship and goodwill with the nations of the world, but we do so with the understanding that it is the right of all nations to put their own interests first.

We do not seek to impose our way of life on anyone. But rather to let it shine as an example. We will shine for everyone to follow. We will reinforce old alliances and form new ones and unite the civilized world against radical Islamic terrorism which we will eradicate completely from the face of the earth! At the bedrock of our politics will be a total allegiance to the United States of America and through our loyalty to our country, we will rediscover our loyalty to each other.

When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice. The bible tells us how good and pleasant it is when god's spokespeople live together in unity. We must speak our minds openly, debate our disagreements honestly, but always pursue solidarity. When united, America is totally unstoppable. There should be no fear, we are protected and we will always be protected. We will be protected by the great men and women of our military and law enforcement.

And most importantly — we will be protected by god! Finally, we must think big and dream even bigger.

Many America, we understand that a nation is only living as long as it is striving. We will no longer accept politicians who are all talk and no action, constantly complaining but never doing anything about it. The time for empty talk is over. Now arrives the hour of action. Do not allow anyone to tell you that it cannot be done. No challenge can match the unlock the mysteries of space, to free the earth from the miseries of disease and harness the industries and technologies of tomorrow.

A new national pride will stir our souls, lift our sights and heal our divisions. It's time to remember that old wisdom our soldiers will never forget that whether we are black or brown or white, we all bleed the same red blood of patriots. We all enjoy the same glorious freedoms and we all salute the same great American flag.

And whether a child is born in the urban sprawl of Detroit or the wind-swept plains of Nebraska, they look up at the same night sky, they fill their heart with the same dreams and they are infused with the breath of life by the same almighty creator. So to all Americans in every city near and far, small and large, from mountain-to-mountain, from ocean-to-ocean, here these words — you will never be ignored again. [applause] your voice, your hopes and your dreams will define our American destiny. And your courage and goodness and love will forever guide us along the way.

Together, we will make America strong again. We will make America wealthy again. We will make America proud we will make America safe again! And, yes, together we will make America great again! Thank you, god bless you! And god bless America! Thank you! God bless America.

And there's some "issues" stuff up on the 'issues' section of whitehouse.gov for more official things.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

(ex. https://www.dol.gov/asp/policy-development/lgbt-workers.htm - the "advancing LGBT workplace rights" link vanished in the last hour.)

As has https://www.whitehouse.gov/energy/climate-change

Internet archive from yesterday
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170119044801/https://www.whitehouse.gov/energy/climate-change

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Source? Because, what.

Sorry, posted when I wanted to preview. There's a link there now.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

He got here largely because of the prejudices against Mexicans, Muslims, women, etc that him and his base share. We're talking about someone who was endorsed by the KKK and who, after November 8th, witnessed the same thing that we all did: people emboldended to commit hate crimes because of the win of their preferred presidential candidate. That is what his win inspired.

Weird, I thought he got there because people were sick of being unemployed because their jobs were being sent overseas.

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You do realize that the voters who cared the most about the economy voted for Hillary right?

I don't realize that because I don't think it's true, but that's just my opinion and I have no consensus data so it'd be conjecture at best on my part.

It's one of the few reasons I support him, but I can't speak for everyone else that supports him because I didn't go out and poll them.

You have been conned.

Maybe a few thousand manufacturing jobs will return to the United States. It will look good in headlines. What will not show up in the headlines is the accelerating collapse of labor protection and wages and the return of Gilded Age exploitation of labor you once thought was only allowed overseas, except with less purchasing power than ever before. Meanwhile, the cost of health care will rise at a higher yearly rate than ever before as insurance pools once again return to silo'd pockets of The Very Sick and Old, fatalities and QOL lost to preventable conditions rise, and insurance companies are freed from the onerous burden of providing coverage for medical conditions that your sky-rocketing premiums allegedly paid for.

You're welcome to your low-paying, marginal right to work that will sicken you, impoverish you, and add next to nothing to society or GDP, for the sake of a pleasant headline.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    What the fuck is this

america.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    "When you open your heart to patriotism, there's no room for prejudice"

Uhhh

That line sounds like a WH40k quote.

Or admission that trump isn't patriotic.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    imdointhis was warned for this.

It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

It's one of the few reasons I support him, but I can't speak for everyone else that supports him because I didn't go out and poll them.

You have been conned.

Maybe a few thousand manufacturing jobs will return to the United States. It will look good in headlines. What will not show up in the headlines is the accelerating collapse of labor protection and wages and the return of Gilded Age exploitation of labor you once thought was only allowed overseas, except with less purchasing power than ever before. Meanwhile, the cost of health care will rise at a higher yearly rate than ever before as insurance pools once again return to silo'd pockets of The Very Sick and Old, fatalities and QOL lost to preventable conditions rise, and insurance companies are freed from the onerous burden of providing coverage for medical conditions that your sky-rocketing premiums allegedly paid for.

You're welcome to your low-paying, marginal right to work that will sicken you, impoverish you, and add next to nothing to society or GDP, for the sake of a pleasant headline.

I hope in 8 years we can revisit this comment and you'll be wrong.

If you're right though, then I blame Obama for telling me not to vote for Hillary :/

Tube on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

https://web.archive.org/web/20170119044801/https://www.whitehouse.gov/energy/climate-change
    dear lord

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    My local Fox news station was airing Obama speaking earlier, but they switched it to Trump signing a bunch of shit. Turning off this crap.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

dear lord

In fairness, the entire whitehouse.gov site got scrubbed and replaced. The sites to watch closely are the rest of the executive branch -- e.g., does noaa.gov scrub all mention of climate change?

• Options
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

If you're right though, then I blame Obama for telling me not to vote for Hillary :/

No. It's your fault, not... whatever the hell kind of bullshit out of context quote you're trying to lay this on.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

Obama repeatedly and enthusiastically campaigned for Hillary, can't blame him.

• Options
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

More evidence of reasoning susceptible to demagoguery and flawed argument.

a) "I hope in 8 years..." Passive naivete is not cute above the age of 18.

b) "Blame Obama..." I know you do.

c) "for telling me not to vote for Hillary..." Your choice in 2008 was not between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

dear lord

In fairness, the entire whitehouse.gov site got scrubbed and replaced. The sites to watch closely are the rest of the executive branch -- e.g., does noaa.gov scrub all mention of climate change?

And obamawhitehouse.gov exists too as an archive.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    So we're in some fucking trouble I think yeah.

I mean yeah no this guy is Hitler. There will be riots tonight I think.

I'd be a little disappointed in my country if there weren't

Supports Israel, has Jewish relatives...

is Hitler.

Man I don't get it.

Replace Jews with Muslims

Talk to some right-wing Jewish Israeli supporters sometime

you'll never meet stronger fascists

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

Are you trolling at this point? Obama campaigned for Hillary.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options

dear lord

A little more checking seems to indicate that MAYBE it's not as sinister as it initially appears. A ton of links to whitehouse.gov are broken right now, and it looks like Trump's people made only a kind of superficial mirror. But the thing is still that everything you'd think they'd want to purge has been purged. That a few innocuous things are also missing doesn't inspire much confidence that they'll be coming back.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2017
    An excellent list of Trump's awfulness in succinct, well-written sentences.
    Donald J. Trump, a reality-television star erecting a mausoleum for himself behind the first-hole tee of a golf course he owns in New Jersey, first declared his candidacy for president of the United States in the atrium of Trump Tower, which he built in the 1980s with labor provided by hundreds of undocumented Polish workers and concrete purchased at an inflated price from the Gambino and Genovese crime families.

It is a long read and it is all like this and good luck, everyone.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Ardol wrote: »
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

After repeatedly and enthusiastically campaigning against her in 2008.

• Options
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

You're not helping the case that Trump supporters live in an alternate reality

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Well as a Canadian to the north all I can say is good luck and we are rooting for you guys. Hopefully 4 years is all you have to endure and the damage is not irreversible.

My very small consolation is hoping that, by 2019, the resulting trumpster fire in the U.S. will discourage people from voting for the Canadian version.

That's not the way its going. There's a far right wind blowing. The more of them get elected, the more emboldened the others get.

None of the big effects from Brexit or the Trump election have kicked in yet, though.

With that said, my wife and I just joined the Conservative Party of Canada specifically to vote against the prominent sacks of shit in their leadership race.

Sometimes I think that moderates are going the wrong way. Instead of joining left-wing parties (because right wing parties are disgusting) and kind of dragging them rightward, moderates should be joining right-wing parties and dragging them leftwards.

Late, but this is one of the reasons I'm still a registered R. For a while we had closed primaries (and POTUS party primaries are closed here), so I just used my vote to add numbers to more centrist candidates.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

I get wanting to pick apart the entirety of someone's comments, but it's weird to slam the idea of "Hope" when that was kind of a big part of Obama's 2008 campaign.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Updated thread title to reflect the status of my new commander in chief.

I'm going to go drink Jameson and play Overwatch. See several of you fine folk in DC tomorrow.

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

He campaigned for himself, not against her. Their policy platforms were virtually identical in '08.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

Tends to happen in elections.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

I get wanting to pick apart the entirety of someone's comments, but it's weird to slam the idea of "Hope" when that was kind of a big part of Obama's 2008 campaign.

I am not calling out "hope" I am calling out the notion that an adequate rebuttal to my prognostication is "Well, you'll be wrong :)"

• Options
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

I am not calling out "hope" I am calling out the notion that an adequate rebuttal to my prognostication is "Well, you'll be wrong :)"

I said I hope you're wrong :P

• Options
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

you're not really this clueless are you?

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

They were running against each other. He wasn't about to endorse his own opponent and her being an opponent then doesn't mean that there can't ever be a time when she becomes an ally.

Their opposition was less about being on different sides of various policies and more that they were both after the same thing and only one of them could get it.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    w8snqw28lnuv.jpg

agreed

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Greg USN wrote: »
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

INFOSEC was a major reason for me.

Weirdly, being an infosec practitioner, same here.

In that I voted for Clinton because the emails scandal was bullshit and the was a Russian influence campaign against Clinton with possible kompromat on Trump being used as leverage (that or he's a useful idiot).

• Options
    It feels like a funeral.

The death of prejudice!

*shrug*

whadda i know.

You have been conned.

I said I hope you're wrong :P

In 8 years.

We're not giving him that much time.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Maximum wrote: »
    w8snqw28lnuv.jpg

agreed

This is not a valid contribution.

This discussion has been closed.