As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US and Russia] Talk about Trump connections to Russia here.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I don't know how this stuff is surprising to literally anyone

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    In other news, the honorable shitberg of Kentucky said some stupid things. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rand-paul-michael-flynn_us_58a36eeee4b094a129efc452
    “I just don’t think it’s useful to be doing investigation after investigation, particularly of your own party,” he said. “We’ll never even get started with doing the things we need to do like repealing Obamacare if we’re spending our whole time having Republicans investigate Republicans. I think it makes no sense.”

I mean, he's half right.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The "real" scandal here, AKA what is different, is that there is hard evidence of a cover-up. This election proved that that is what "dishonesty" means, rather than constantly lying about easily checked facts.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Trump's base won't stand for an impeachment. They'd all get primaried. 15 establishment candidates and Trump stole their party out from under them. Pence is a sop to independents and moderates, and Ryan's "eat the poor" ideology is so far divorced from the voters' they don't even share custody. As far as the average Republican voter is concerned, an impeachment over Russia would be corrupt GOP politicians falling prey to fake news, and you couldn't convince them otherwise in 10 years, let alone fast enough to fend off a blue wave in 2018. McCain can make all the noise he wants, until there's a smoking gun they're doing jack shit against Trump.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I have to say I'm not terribly happy that America has let this issue fester for so long that the IC is just basically sabotaging the standing government. In this case they're in the right, but its not a great precedent. Although the same could be said about everything these last few months. I'll happily blame Comey and the shitheads on the Intelligence Committee for sleeping on this since like, Fall 2015 at the very least?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I have to say I'm not terribly happy that America has let this issue fester for so long that the IC is just basically sabotaging the standing government. In this case they're in the right, but its not a great precedent. Although the same could be said about everything these last few months. I'll happily blame Comey and the shitheads on the Intelligence Committee for sleeping on this since like, Fall 2015 at the very least?

It should definitely drive home the point for Democrats that they need to refocus their gaze on state governments and Congressional seats. That all this shit is going down and the entire reason nothing is coming out of it is because of the current distribution of power should be a huge wake up call

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The IC isn't sabotaging the standing government anymore then it did during Watergate.

This is just what, like, actual whistleblowing looks like.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    This is your reminder that the permanent members of the UN Security Council are currently Xi JinPing (China) François Hollande (France, up for election this year with Putin throwing his money behind the Nazi Le Pen) Theresa May (Britain, has roped herself to Trump in a probably vain effort to stave off the worst of the Brexit fallout) Donald Trump (no comment) and Vladimir Putin.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

D&D has quoted a million times that there is 'no such thing as peak derp'.

To that end, there should be no limit to the level of surprising bullshit one might find collecting at the derp event horizon that is this administration; nearly infinite in scope that it is.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    He is generally regarded as a complete imbecile, actually. Dumbest man in Congress and what not.

Living in Utah, I take personal offense at the very notion that anyone is dumber than Chaffetz.

I'm not sure they were ever in Congress at the same time. Pod Save the World crew is trying to get Evan McMullin to go after Chaffetz in the primary, by the way.

I have staunchly resisted Podcasts for years now. I grudgingly accepted a podcast service for Zero Punctuation, but that was it!

... I now eagerly listen to Pod Save America and Pod Save the World while gaming or walking about.

I am a changed man over this last month of bullshit.

Which is to say that PSA and PStW are both great.

This American Life often has good episodes about politics.

Also I know about a billion good comedy/storytelling podcasts, if you want them :p

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    JoeUser wrote: »

500 people?! What the hell did he do?!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

D&D has quoted a million times that there is 'no such thing as peak derp'.

To that end, there should be no limit to the level of surprising bullshit one might find collecting at the derp event horizon that is this administration; nearly infinite in scope that it is.

I believe yesterday Hakkekage brokedown that this admin is an asshole singularity, which is unprecedented in the annuals of science, and I don't believe that anyone can refute that.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

I think he invented moonpies

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Per Google: Quds Force is accused of supplying insurgents in Iraq.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    It's funny how Josh Marshall figured all this out in June.

I'm interested in this. Do you have links or anything?

Apologies, it was July.

Everyone in washington had resonable suspicion that this was the case going back as far as late September/early October. There are no surpises here. Top Republicans knew this when they were stumping for Trump, the FBI knew this when they did the new email scam. Harry Reid was literally screaming about this prior to the election and was dismissed as a bitter lame duck.

There are a vast number of government officials here that if this were a real criminal investigation on anything would be vulnerable to criminal conspiracy or accessory after the fact charges. They won't be, of course, but the fact that nothing was done about this prior to the election was based more on whether people could plausably remain willfully blind until after the election and squeeze out a victory and less on the evidence present or seriousness of the charges.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    A Russian Diplomat died in the Russian Consulate of blunt force trauma on Election day, and no one really wants to talk about it.

Haven't finished reading the full thing, but looks interesting

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I don't know how to process this

I mean, everyone has been saying Donnie and the Boys have been colluding with Russia for close to a year now, but what happens next?

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I don't know how to process this

I mean, everyone has been saying Donnie and the Boys have been colluding with Russia for close to a year now, but what happens next?

Nothing.

Or EVERYTHING.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Will any Republican aside from McCain say anything at all?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Flynn's replacement is probably Robert Harward.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/02/15/robert-harward-plans-a-housecleaning-of-trumps-national-security-council-staff/
    President Donald Trump offered the job of national security advisor to retired Vice Adm. Robert Harward on Monday night, and was a bit surprised when Harward responded by saying he needed a couple of days to think it over.

If, as expected, Harward accepts the job today, he is likely to bring in his own team, from deputy on down, with a focus on national security types with some experience under their belts.

That would be an improvement over Flynn.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    nothing

because the people who can do anything about it either

a: don't care
    b: are implicated
    or
    c: think it's great

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

100% the CIA etc would be as resistant or moreso to liberal or progressive reform than to Trump-style grift and corruption.

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

100% the CIA etc would be as resistant or moreso to liberal or progressive reform than to Trump-style grift and corruption.

The FBI yes. The CIA... I'm less sure. For one thing, a fuckload of them are Muslim, or at the very least work with Muslims almost every day.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Will any Republican aside from McCain say anything at all?

Additionally, at this point saying "anything" is not good enough from McCain. I'll give him actual credit when he casts a vote to at the very least open an investigation.

He doesn't get to call himself a maverick when all he does is talk tough and then fall in line when the time comes to actually take a stand.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Flynn's replacement is probably Robert Harward.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/02/15/robert-harward-plans-a-housecleaning-of-trumps-national-security-council-staff/
    President Donald Trump offered the job of national security advisor to retired Vice Adm. Robert Harward on Monday night, and was a bit surprised when Harward responded by saying he needed a couple of days to think it over.

If, as expected, Harward accepts the job today, he is likely to bring in his own team, from deputy on down, with a focus on national security types with some experience under their belts.

That would be an improvement over Flynn.

At this point a competent pick would be a welcome addition.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

"Only I have the brains to rule Lylat Russia!"

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Why does that Trump image have so much hair?

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    This Russian Spy ship thing is freaking me out a little bit, not the least of which because I live on Long Island.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I don't get why the republicans are not more aggressive about this now that the Russia ties are right there in the open plain as day.

If it ends in Trump's impeachment, then it's Pence/Ryan and they still have control and can still implement the entire republican greatest hits regressive policy extravaganza. If Pence is shown to be involved, then it's still Ryan/Hatch and the same applies. They've still got control, and it should be obvious by now that this train wreck presidency won't win another term if it even lasts that long. Just get it over with already.

It's basically old yeller at this point.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Wow

Edit: This Is a national security writer and former NSA guy. Throughout the election and over the past month, he's proven to have very good sources in the intelligence community.

He's responding to a question about the IC's reaction to Trump's actions.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

'IC' meaning intelligence community and 'He' meaning trump?

I'll believe it when I see it

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @JoeUser
    Can you please provide some context?

What, who, when ... etc. ?

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

'IC' meaning intelligence community and 'He' meaning trump?

I'll believe it when I see it

Yeah, response to this

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    This Russian Spy ship thing is freaking me out a little bit, not the least of which because I live on Long Island.

If it's any consolation, if they were trying to do something other than scare people they wouldn't have gotten into a positon where they can be seen.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    If anyone knows how to fuck up an elected government its the CIA. Though that's not necessarily a good thing most of the time.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I cannot stand Paul Ryan talking about not "wasting time running investigations into his own party."

Because he straight-up is saying the only reason they aren't investigating is because it's Republicans who are under suspicion.

Literally putting party before country.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @JoeUser
    Can you please provide some context?

What, who, when ... etc. ?

Sorry, this guy is a national security writer and former NSA guy.

He was responding to a question about how the intelligence community is feeling about Trump's actions.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I cannot stand Paul Ryan talking about not "wasting time running investigations into his own party."

Because he straight-up is saying the only reason they aren't investigating is because it's Republicans who are under suspicion.

Literally putting party before country.
    wrong paul, it was rand paul (unless paul ryan said the same and i missed it)

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
This discussion has been closed.