As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Exteel: Free Giant Robots

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There's also a rocket class weapon, like a cannon, down pretty far on the list. It's fairly pricey iirc.

The rocket boosters, afaik, only function as rocket launchers with the corresponding skill.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm jumping on now for awhile.
    Also I'm in Ventrillo, the PA channel, Game On 4

Accualt on
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I got my new cannon, and have fallen back in love with this game. I literally 2-shot people. And now I actually have a chance if some dual smger comes up behind me. Also: We need to get people in vent more often.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I tried out a heal/rifle combo for my backup and I like it. I can heal people, but I also have the option of a long range weapon, and in last stands a rifle 2 shots a drone so I don't need a lot of damage there.

Also, I switched one of my SMGs for a pistol SMG it gave me, and the different heating patterns of the two SMGs makes it a lot easier to have one working at a given time.

Scooter on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Right now I'm running Rifle/Spear and Shotgun/Blade with the two weapon skills, but I might switch to Cannon and Rife/Spear. Shotgun/Blade is nice, but the attack skill for it puts the enemy behind you, and by the time they recover they're waaaaay off shooting you. The Rifle/Spear move lets you either close in and spear again or back out and Rifle fairly easily, though.

Pb on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I tried the rocket and I have to say I'm not sure it's for me.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh god Jesus only 20,000 more creds until I get the best arms in the game. Then I should be able to finish off people with a SMG salvo without having to switch to secondary.

Edit: 8000 creds!

JJ on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    JJ wrote: »
    Oh god Jesus only 20,000 more creds until I get the best arms in the game. Then I should be able to finish off people with a SMG salvo without having to switch to secondary.

Oh wait all of your stuff broke good game.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Argh, I must suck at this. I can't get past the training mission with the sub machine gun whatevers, I keep dying. Oh well, maybe I'll try again later.

Schide on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Schide wrote: »
    Argh, I must suck at this. I can't get past the training mission with the sub machine gun whatevers, I keep dying. Oh well, maybe I'll try again later.

The enemy mechs have absurd aiming. The only way I did that was by cheesing it: you can just barely peek around a corner and shoot them without them seeing you.

Garthor on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    does anyone else think the options for searching for servers shouldn't be "1-5, 1-14,1-24"?

when I started playing I played from level 1 to level 5 in a 1-4 server, kicking a metric shit-ton of ass, top of the winning team every single round, then I hop into a 1-14 and proceed to be bottom of the losing team every single round, with all these enemy mechs that I don't even hurt at all ever.

I had to sit there behind teammates and try and steal their kills if I wanted to have more than a negative infinity k:d ratio.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What kind of weapons are you using? I can see it being a problem if you're either melee or SMGing it, perhaps try rifles? You can sit at the edge and pick people off and buy a Rectifier to heal your team mates, which'll net you assists.

Kelor on
  • Options
    aerolbjaerolbj Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is anyone else suffering heavy lag on this? Whenever I play i get laggy connections. I'm playing on my home WiFi network, is that the problem? Or is it that I'm overseas?

aerolbj on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    aerolbj wrote: »
    Is anyone else suffering heavy lag on this? Whenever I play i get laggy connections. I'm playing on my home WiFi network, is that the problem? Or is it that I'm overseas?

Overseas I'd say. I'm from Australia and usually sit around 250 or so.

Kelor on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Schide wrote: »

That's exactly where I'm stuck. The strafe-boosting seems kinda hit-or-miss, and even when I pull it off, I still get hit by their damn homing beams.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The only training mission I had trouble on was the sword and shield, and even then it still took me one try. I didn't have ANY trouble with the SMG part. Weird.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The thing with the strafe-boosting is this, you need to go into your game options and turn off the double tap boosting. That way you wont boost by hitting your movement keys twice, this is important. Use the Shift+Movements Key in order to do your boosting and it'll be easier.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Goomba wrote: »
    JJ wrote: »

Oh wait all of your stuff broke good game.

Okay, fine, we get it, you suck at life. Enough already!

Pb on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't think any of my stuff's dropped below 75% yet.

I did notice I started getting 2-shot a lot more when I wasn't able to join the 1-4 servers anymore, but even if I'm on the losing team I'm usually at least halfway up the ranks for that team.

I think the only training mish I had a problem with was the sword one too.

Also: I usually have a 20-30 ping which is basically the best in almost every game I play. I'm not on a super connection and my router kinda sucks, so I have no idea how I lucked out on that.

Scooter on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was doing rifle+smg and sword + shield

on second consideration I do know that having rifle+smg means you get no benefits from either, but I find that with it I can constantly be doing damage to other mechs.

I'm pretty much toast one on one now where I wasn't in the 1-4 range, but generally if I can stay near a tank I can provide really good support fire.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    downloading now

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    One of the main tricks to know about the training missions is, if you see the lock icon on your screen, or it just went away a second ago. Don't leave cover.
    You are still locked to them, and they will shoot you instantly.

The smg one is a pain in the ass, you just have to make good use of the cover. Same with the sword one, also don't forget to use your shield against the cannons, you won't lose momentem if you get hit, and it lowers damage a decent amount.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    my ingame name is TheKoolEagle(shocking i know)

also if robotheclown is here i was afk when you sent me an invite D:

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This game seems to be convinced that I shouldn't be playing it. Tried to install and it told me I was corrupt. Or a file was corrupt or something like that.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have like 3 hours into this so far. I found for me that 2 sets of SMGs work best. I used to switch to a beam sword and shotgun when I closed in to melee. No I just switch to me deagles and contine firing. I seem to do much better in DM than Team DM. I'm only a PFC atm. How do I go about finding a PA server and getting in on the action?

Also has anyone tried the two suits you can buy with coin? I was wanting to get which ever one has the best en. Then get the fastest booster coin can buy. If I get those I can probably save the credits and buy one of those 240k or whatever mechs.

edit:

My callsign is the same as my user name here.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    my callsign is Icefowl

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just started up, this is fun so far. My callsign is DestyNova.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    first thing i did was buy a mehki full suit and currently i'm normally number 1 in everything lol

also my kd ratio is about 2 to 1 in dm.

its all about speed baby

edit: now that i'm level 5 i'm afraid to join a 1-14 server and get my ass kicked

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm also in a Mehki, with a cannon and two SMGs.

I've been upgrading my move speed and EN religiously.

My mech is the walker form of the GTB Athena, and I <3 it very much.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    i do love the mehki, i just got out of a tdm where i went like 24 and 8, deagles are my primary with spear and shield as secondary.

I can do an entire boost around the dm ring map no problem so no one ever really catches me if they try to melee

btw is the clan working yet or what?

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you're purchasing things with NCcoin, do yourself a favor and get a pair of Zeus Persuader-Ds. Just trust me on this. The things are ^^;ing absurd with their output.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My callsign is Abinus. I'm trying a spear and shiled combo. It's been doing quite well but I think I really need to get more practice in with my melee skills.

Also, usually after playing the game for a while I get an error saying that the Display Driver has crapped out. Anyone know how I can fix this? I'm not all that tech savvy.

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've been playing this for the past few days, quite fun. My callsign is Srice.

Slicer on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Those bonus's you get for melee/ranged/? take for ever to get.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wait people are having trouble with training missions?

bunnyhop

they can't hit you

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Stew_Stick wrote: »
    My callsign is Abinus. I'm trying a spear and shiled combo. It's been doing quite well but I think I really need to get more practice in with my melee skills.

Also, usually after playing the game for a while I get an error saying that the Display Driver has crapped out. Anyone know how I can fix this? I'm not all that tech savvy.

try updating your graphics card drivers.

if you don't know what graphics card you have do this:

1. click start
    2. click run
    3. type dxdiag
    4. if prompted with some message just say yes
    5. look at the tabs on top, click on display
    6. in the blue outlined box labeled device you'll find the name of your card

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Stew_Stick wrote: »

try updating your graphics card drivers.

if you don't know what graphics card you have do this:

1. click start
    2. click run
    3. type dxdiag
    4. if prompted with some message just say yes
    5. look at the tabs on top, click on display
    6. in the blue outlined box labeled device you'll find the name of your card

Ok thanks, i'll give that a try.

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So if we get a bunch of people online again tonight I want to try the Capture Territory mode with our awesome scrub-killing group (excluding the game where someone set it to all-levels and we were horribly murdered over and over again). In theory our coordination could make for some quick wins and easy $.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Akira wrote: »
    So if we get a bunch of people online again tonight I want to try the Capture Territory mode with our awesome scrub-killing group (excluding the game where someone set it to all-levels and we were horribly murdered over and over again). In theory our coordination could make for some quick wins and easy $.

But winning a game before the timer is up means the cash you earn is scaled down to the time you spent.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Garthor wrote: »
    Akira wrote: »

But winning a game before the timer is up means the cash you earn is scaled down to the time you spent.

Thats the formula i'm seeing as well. You get so much cash per second you're in a match, then double that if you win.

Ash-Housewares on