As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Top Gear

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You know, I could have lived my whole life without that image in my head. o_O

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    aarathyaarathy __BANNED USERS new member
    edited July 2008
    Top Gear is a very popular BBC television series especially about cars. I like this show very much. It describes the latest models of cars and its prices.

aarathy on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    aarathy wrote: »
    Top Gear is a very popular BBC television series especially about cars. I like this show very much. It describes the latest models of cars and its prices.

What

Oh wait, You're new.

And very wierd.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Checking this guys other posts, I love him already.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Checking this guys other posts, I love him already.

Well he only has one other post but yeah

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    The competition between Germany and Britain last night was hysterical. After arriving in Spitfires it took about eight seconds before Clarkson & co began cheating outrageously. The war may have been mentioned once or twice as well. Hammond's reaction on winning his personal challenge was particularly glorious.

Bogart on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    The competition between Germany and Britain last night was hysterical. After arriving in Spitfires it took about eight seconds before Clarkson & co began cheating outrageously. The war may have been mentioned once or twice as well. Hammond's reaction on winning his personal challenge was particularly glorious.
    To be fair, they also:

* Entered the car-on-top-of-car challenge with a one-armed driver
    * Entered a small Indian hatchback in the drag-race against a bunch of supercars
    * Shot at Clarkson during his Mini-challenge with a paintball tank

The double-decker car challenge was one of the most glorious things I've ever seen, btw.

Seol on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I wonder if the German Top Gear will be showing the competition from their side.

Starcross on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Flying in Spitfires to the event was glorious.

Hammond walking slowly up to the car door and YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!! made me spit coffee all over my lounge. The funniest thing ever.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Going back a few weeks, but I loved the bit about The Stig moonlighting in Doctor Who.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Watched the two with the Tumbler, convetable minivan (people-carrier) and the carwash - awesome!

It may have been the Dogfish IPA I was drinking, but I was seriously laughing for 30 minutes after they started the carwash on fire.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Starcross wrote: »
    I wonder if the German Top Gear will be showing the competition from their side.

from their one angle you mean?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Range Rover vs Tank was the best episode ever.

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rolo wrote: »
    I want to see the pictures that Jeremy has been finding on the internet every week.

I think the Final Gear forums have reached a concensus that the internet images have mostly been a guy "tailpiping" a Range Rover.
    With his penis. While wearing actually quite a nice corset and I think some stockings.

That was episodes 3-6 this series, I think. I don't know about any of the others.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    the German race I thought would have been a lot better if the Germans weren't taking it quite so seriously.

Playing Rammstein when the last race started I thought was very funny. Too bad they cut back to the regular soundtrack, guess Rammstein wanted too much for the whole song :-)

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The Germans took it like Germans should, I think.

PS. Sabine is so hot.

Fats on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I don't know what it is about Sabine, but there's just something about her.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hate whatever version of BBC we get here... still aren't showing the newest Top Gear and still haven't shown Long Way Down.

It sucks so hard.

Falx on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "So what the Americans have done, yeah, is they've gone 'We need some sophistication here. We'll call the Australians!'"

Azio on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    what was the follow up to that? Something like: I need to make this wedding more classy, so i'll bring in a keg of beer!

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    cixelsyDcixelsyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My favorite episode of this season so far has been the police car attempts, I feel like they could have done more, but hammond's car with the "tongue" spike strip was outragous.

But it'll be hard to beat the greatest top gear episode(s) ever, Amphibious Cars.

Jeremy: "How fast do you think you'll go."
    James (with a sail boat/car): "I think somewhere around 40 knots."
    Jeremy: "... no James"

cixelsyD on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was at the taping of the pilot episode of Top Gear America. Adam Carolla was a lot better than expected. I went from being very skeptical about TGUSA to being very optimistic. The show is in good hands, producers from the UK version are heavily involved to keep it on track. They're also very appreciative of the Internet fanbase.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    GahziGahzi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was at the taping of the pilot episode of Top Gear America. Adam Carolla was a lot better than expected. I went from being very skeptical about TGUSA to being very optimistic. The show is in good hands, producers from the UK version are heavily involved to keep it on track. They're also very appreciative of the Internet fanbase.

How was the videography? Is it the same quality as the british version? Its one of the main reasons why I love the show.

Gahzi on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The camera work on Top Gear is fucking amazing.
    Seriously.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DickerdoodleDickerdoodle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The vignetting is a bit over the top on some shots though. Makes it hard to see what's going on sometimes.

Dickerdoodle on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Gahzi wrote: »

How was the videography? Is it the same quality as the british version? Its one of the main reasons why I love the show.

Exact same quality and style. In fact it was better quality because they're shooting TG USA in hi def. Top Gear UK is still shooting in widescreen standard def PAL. One thing LA has no shortage of are talented videographers.

One area TG USA may not compare in is music. In the UK there are some pretty awesome Fair Use provisions available to the BBC since it's a taxpayer funded endeavor. They can use lots of copyrighted music without having to pay full (or any) price per song. Not so for the US version. So you may hear more generic stuff than familiar artists. TG UK has a serious hard-on for Amon Tobin, for example. Which I both love and hate. I love it because I also am a big fan of his. I hate it because every time I find a piece of his music that I want to use in a video, Top Gear does it first. Fuckers.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gahzi wrote: »

Exact same quality and style. In fact it was better quality because they're shooting TG USA in hi def. Top Gear UK is still shooting in widescreen standard def PAL. One thing LA has no shortage of are talented videographers.

One thing I'm really looking forward to is when BBC makes the move to HD as well. Apparently it's fairly soon; they're hoping within the next two seasons of Top Gear to have it filmed in HD. I was amazed when I watched the Arctic Top Gear episode just how nice the program looks in HD.

I'm glad to hear it sounds like they have all the pieces together to make TG USA worthwhile. Obviously time will tell though. If nothing else, I'm looking forward to the fact that when they talk about a really neat car, there's much better odds that I'll actually be able to get said car if I wanted.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cycophant wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear it sounds like they have all the pieces together to make TG USA worthwhile. Obviously time will tell though. If nothing else, I'm looking forward to the fact that when they talk about a really neat car, there's much better odds that I'll actually be able to get said car if I wanted.

Is that because they're going to review more common cars, or just because the models will be from NA? Because if the only things that holding you back from buying $100,000 cars is the steering wheel, we need to hang out more often--so you can buy me stuff.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't know if they're going to talk about more affordable cars. They reviewed the Audi R8 and the Aston Martin AMV8 Vantage on the US pilot. Those are both over $100k.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    NeolightNeolight Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Whoever banned this guy killed major lulz potential, unless of course he doesn't actually talk like this IRL.

though its cool to pretend,

Neolight on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well the first episode of Top Gear Australia has been on. And it was pretty terrible. Warren Brown was the only host out of the three that wasn't instantly unlikeable, Cox is especially annoying and overall they seemed to be trying to hard to fit into the roles of the UK hosts. But hey, it takes time for hosts to find their groove so I'll let that slide.

The segments however fell completely flat. They had a Porsche roadtest where Cox spent more time in a boring explanation of the gear box than telling the audience what it was like to drive, they had a segment about a luxury car that consisted of showing us the headphones in the back seat (That was it! That was all they fucking showed!) and a completely pointless segment where they welded a shark cage to a car and lowered it into the water with some sharks.

But while the show failed on those levels the worst part is that it's so closely copying the original series that it has no reason to exist. Apart from the news section and the celebrity lap there was nothing there that warranted it's existence. The fact they have the same theme music, intro, segments, a fucking identical set and copying the formula down to having a Stig with a terrible version of the classic intro just made it more pointless in my view. What an enourmous waste of money, why didn't they take the $1 million they payed to liscence the show and the production costs and make something original instead of an inferior copy of a great show? The fact they haven't brought the new series of the real top gear over yet just pours salt into the wounds.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm so pissed that BOTH the BBC channels we get down here still haven't shown the new season, but keep running ads going "NEW SEASON" only for it to be the previous one with the African trip.

Falx on
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Well the first episode of Top Gear Australia has been on. And it was pretty terrible. Warren Brown was the only host out of the three that wasn't instantly unlikeable, Cox is especially annoying and overall they seemed to be trying to hard to fit into the roles of the UK hosts. But hey, it takes time for hosts to find their groove so I'll let that slide.

The segments however fell completely flat. They had a Porsche roadtest where Cox spent more time in a boring explanation of the gear box than telling the audience what it was like to drive, they had a segment about a luxury car that consisted of showing us the headphones in the back seat (That was it! That was all they fucking showed!) and a completely pointless segment where they welded a shark cage to a car and lowered it into the water with some sharks.

But while the show failed on those levels the worst part is that it's so closely copying the original series that it has no reason to exist. Apart from the news section and the celebrity lap there was nothing there that warranted it's existence. The fact they have the same theme music, intro, segments, a fucking identical set and copying the formula down to having a Stig with a terrible version of the classic intro just made it more pointless in my view. What an enourmous waste of money, why didn't they take the $1 million they payed to liscence the show and the production costs and make something original instead of an inferior copy of a great show? The fact they haven't brought the new series of the real top gear over yet just pours salt into the wounds.

I enjoyed it, it didn't really have as many laugh out loud bits as the UK Top Gear and the shark bit at the end was a bit stupid. It was pretty much just more Top Gear and it didn't really justify its existance (as you said). Hopefully they'll be able to find their groove soon and get their own style.
    I wanted to punch that caffeine overloaded guy, he pissed me off.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, i think the problem with the first episode was that they were trying waaay to hard to ape the original Top Gear and it just came across as really forced, the hosts just don't have the chemistry that Clarkson and co have and trying to pretend that it's there is a recipe for failure. That said the segment with the 4x4 time trial on the sand dunes was entertaining, just too bad about the rest of the show.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I enjoyed it, but it just felt far too rushed. The segments (especially the bit on the Maybach) were too short and a couple of them could probably have been held over to the next episode in order to pace it all out a bit better.

Warren was easily my favourite presenter out of the three and Steve really annoyed me during the studio segments with his almost-shouting.

Also, did anyone else think that the Australian Stig is a little more... rotund than the UK Stig?

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    They have ads on whatever channel this is on in Aus, right? They're probably trying to cram in the same amount of content as the UK show, forgetting that in the UK it airs for a solid hour, uninterrupted by ads and whatnot.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    They have ads on whatever channel this is on in Aus, right? They're probably trying to cram in the same amount of content as the UK show, forgetting that in the UK it airs for a solid hour, uninterrupted by ads and whatnot.

Yeah, and they also edit TGUK to fit within an hour timeslot with ads. I've never taken the trouble to compare them to see whether SBS (the broadcaster) has cut content from TGUK, so I'm not sure exactly how they've edited it.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, all I know is Top Gear airs repeats on a UK channel called Dave which has ads. They always cut some really good bits, usually from the news.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When's the new season of UK top gear starting?

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Rolo wrote: »
    When's the new season of UK top gear starting?

November 2nd, apparently.

Cyvros on
This discussion has been closed.