As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official Veep Debate Thread: FULL DEBATE VIDEO IN FIRST POST

• Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Screamline wrote: »
    galenblade wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    Frank Luntz conducted a focus group of undecideds after the first debate between McCain & Obama and it was very bad for McCain. This focus group views on the VP debate however came out very interesting 8-)
    Is that the Fox News focus group they had after the debates? Because man, those people weren't impartial at all.

Yeah, I noticed it was Fox and decided not to bother.

It was also held at Anheuser-Busch headquarters. The company that Cindy McCain owns.

I mean, come on. If that's not a stacked deck....

Cindy McCain actually owns Hensley & Company, one of their largest US distributors. A-B is actually owned by Belgians, now.

Ah. Point. I stand corrected. (Though technically they're not Belgian-owned yet)

Even so, there's certainly a whiff of something screwy there. The two companies are pretty heavily linked, as Hensley is an exclusive A-B distributor and nothing else. I'd be surprised if there was no undue influence on the selection of that group.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The fox thing is simple: they're the outlier here. Everyone else had pretty similar focus group results, except one that was swinging wildly the other way. In addition, their response to the "are you voting McCain" "Did this debate sway your vote" questions outlay the the entire group had been intending to vote McCain PRIOR TO THE DEBATE.

Which means Luntz's group was focus testing how McCain supporters reacted to the debate, nothing else. With independents and undecideds, people leaned Biden. Meaning people who were not sure either way before the debate. CNN made a big point about anyone who raised their hands about "will vote for X this november" is now kicked off the island, and will not be returning for debate ratings, because: they're no longer undecided voters.

kildy on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    We should use hidden cameras for the next debate, so the candidates have to talk to each other and not America.
    For someone who expressed a great interest in talking to the American people, Palin seemed to spend an awful lot of time staring at Biden during her answers.

Bama on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There is some sort of building in Jerusalem that's an American embassy or consulate or something. I remember walking by and thinking how it looked more like a small-town police station than what I had initially expected.

Duffel on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Because everyone who WORKS at FOX news are conservative shills, right? Sorry to break it to ya, buddy, but not that's not the case. I have a good personal friend who works for FOX as a producer covering Biden and he is quite the DC liberal, and he isn't the only one.
    I also hate to break it to you, but that doesn't address the bias of the focus group at all.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    We should use hidden cameras for the next debate, so the candidates have to talk to each other and not America.
    For someone who expressed a great interest in talking to the American people, Palin seemed to spend an awful lot of time staring at Biden during her answers.

I think she was making up for McCain not looking at Obama during their debate. When she looked at the camera it was just spiel, her eyes were locked and she showed zero emotion, just ran from talking point to talking point.

For anyone saying Palin won this, I give you the couric challenge, at what point during the debate did she show competence in answering a question?

Anyone else bothered by her calling him Joe but he called her the governor? I know Obama called McCain John but that felt different, maybe its just because I don't like her.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Anyone else bothered by her calling him Joe but he called her the governor? I know Obama called McCain John but that felt different, maybe its just because I don't like her.

It seems patronizing in either case.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm not. She can call him Joe because it makes her look down homey. If he called her anything but Governor, he would have been a condescending sexist. Sometimes, that's just the break. Like how her "shoutout" was "new vernacular that the American people want," yet if Obama said it, they would have been as lost as Joe Scarborough was when he brushed off his shoulders.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    The fox thing is simple: they're the outlier here. Everyone else had pretty similar focus group results, except one that was swinging wildly the other way. In addition, their response to the "are you voting McCain" "Did this debate sway your vote" questions outlay the the entire group had been intending to vote McCain PRIOR TO THE DEBATE.

Which means Luntz's group was focus testing how McCain supporters reacted to the debate, nothing else. With independents and undecideds, people leaned Biden. Meaning people who were not sure either way before the debate. CNN made a big point about anyone who raised their hands about "will vote for X this november" is now kicked off the island, and will not be returning for debate ratings, because: they're no longer undecided voters.

Did I miss something? He never asked if they were voting for McCain, he asked if the people thought Sarah Palin won the debate. That's not the same thing.

Food on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I just can't see how anyone can be happy this woman wants to be a vp.

PALIN: Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president's agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there, and we'll do what we have to do to administer very appropriately the plans that are needed for this nation. And it is my executive experience that is partly to be attributed to my pick as V.P. with McCain, not only as a governor, but earlier on as a mayor, as an oil and gas regulator, as a business owner. It is those years of experience on an executive level that will be put to good use in the White House also.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2008

PALIN: Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president's agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there, and we'll do what we have to do to administer very appropriately the plans that are needed for this nation. And it is my executive experience that is partly to be attributed to my pick as V.P. with McCain, not only as a governor, but earlier on as a mayor, as an oil and gas regulator, as a business owner. It is those years of experience on an executive level that will be put to good use in the White House also.

It plays very well to the low information "good enough for the founding fathers" voter.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Food wrote: »

Did I miss something? He never asked if they were voting for McCain, he asked if the people thought Sarah Palin won the debate. That's not the same thing.

In the last 18 seconds, he asks if anyone changed their minds [about who they're voting for] and then confirms that, of the 3 or 4 who had, 2 or 3 went towards McCain.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It plays very well to the low information "good enough for the founding fathers" voter.

I don't see how anyone could react positively to that. All in all, I thought Sarah Palin did surprisingly well last night, but that comment was just completely stupid and Biden nailed her for it.

Food on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

And that voter is already solidly in the republicans camp. She swayed no one and scares independents.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2008

In the last 18 seconds, he asks if anyone changed their minds [about who they're voting for].

Yeah, but that doesn't mean that everyone was voting for McCain in the first place. In fact, since 3 out of 4 people said they changed their minds towards McCain, if anything you would assume that more of them leaned towards Obama going in (not that that wouldn't be a stupid thing to assume).

Food on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    And that voter is already solidly in the republicans camp. She swayed no one and scares independents.
    That's the thing. I don't think this debate was a big effort to swing independents. It should have been, but it wasn't. It was basically a time for her to stop the bleeding and reassure the base. That's what she did. Talking point after talking point. If you were in the republican camp, or wanting to be but thinking she was a disaster, this was a show for you.

She was there to stop the bleeding.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think one funny thing coming out of this is people trying to claim biden gaffed with Bosniac, it just shows how ignorant people are of that area.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    That's the thing. I don't think this debate was a big effort to swing independents. It should have been, but it wasn't. It was basically a time for her to stop the bleeding and reassure the base. That's what she did. Talking point after talking point. If you were in the republican camp, or wanting to be but thinking she was a disaster, this was a show for you.

Probably, but at this point thats like sewing up a nasty gash on a foot thats been blown off. I don't want to be super duper optimistic or anything, but honestly shoring up the base is not going to win the election, and her talking point extravaganza just pushed independents further away.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    King Boo HooKing Boo Hoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think my favorite part of the debate was the part of Palin's closing remarks that sounded like she was begging McCain to let her out.

"This is really fun. We're having such a great time. I LOVE talking to people. People LOVE hearing me. We should REALLY have me talk to the people more. Talking to people is SO much fun. Please? Please please please let me out of that god damn hotel room with the god damn advisors and let me go say something stupid about how global warming isn't caused by us."

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can we not make that the new phrase? Bill Richardson said "stop the bleeding" three times in as many minutes, and then I kept hearing it.

Edit: Also, new-clee-ar. If anyone says nuke u ler I'm going to stab them in the throat.

Edit: I'm not really worried about Iran getting nucular weapons, because they'd have to throw a clam shell pretty far and hard to really hurt anyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucula

Delzhand on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think one funny thing coming out of this is people trying to claim biden gaffed with Bosniac, it just shows how ignorant people are of that area.
    My roommate said "Bosniac?" and I just replied "I think he's the guy that co-founded Apple."

Bama on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yeah, but that doesn't mean that everyone was voting for McCain in the first place. In fact, since 3 out of 4 people said they changed their minds towards McCain, if anything you would assume that more of them leaned towards Obama going in (not that that wouldn't be a stupid thing to assume).
    I didn't say 3 out of 4.

Did you watch the entire video?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think my favorite part of the debate was the part of Palin's closing remarks that sounded like she was begging McCain to let her out.

"This is really fun. We're having such a great time. I LOVE talking to people. People LOVE hearing me. We should REALLY have me talk to the people more. Talking to people is SO much fun. Please? Please please please let me out of that god damn hotel room with the god damn advisors and let me go say something stupid about how global warming isn't caused by us."

Yeah, you basically hear the McCain camp screaming in terror.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    My roommate said "Bosniac?" and I just replied "I think he's the guy that co-founded Apple."

I like how some people on the right have picked up and started saying "ha ha he said bosniak". Just look at them and go "yeah bosnian muslims, you know they live in bosnia and were a faction in that conflict right?" I mean honestly it sounds funny but its a real term.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

This is the correct answer.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    Because everyone who WORKS at FOX news are conservative shills, right? Sorry to break it to ya, buddy, but not that's not the case. I have a good personal friend who works for FOX as a producer covering Biden and he is quite the DC liberal, and he isn't the only one.

I have no doubt that FOX's hiring policy doesn't discriminate against people based on their political affiliation, but when we say that FOX is biased we're referring to their broadcasts, not their workforce as a whole.

Just look at the video you shared. Most everyone said they supported McCain after the debate, but none of those people raised their hands when the correspondent asked if they'd changed their minds as a result of the debates.

That means the nearly the entire audience supported McCain to begin with, and that's proof of bias at the expense of accurate reporting.
    I am bolding this because this is the ultimate proof of the bias of that focus group.

It would be like putting the PA forumites on TV and calling them a focus group for the VP debate. Oh golly gee! Obama/Biden has overwhelming support! ;-)

Actually at no point did he ask how many people were for McCain. At the beginning, he asks "How many of you thought [Gov. Palin] won the debate?" And 2/3 of the room raises their hands (though he says "almost everyone!") I still think it's biased because it's Fox News, but we can't know how many people there were McCain supporters.

Also the things people said in that video horrified me. Do they really think her canned responses that had nothing to do with the questions asked displayed a command of the issues?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008

Probably, but at this point thats like sewing up a nasty gash on a foot thats been blown off. I don't want to be super duper optimistic or anything, but honestly shoring up the base is not going to win the election, and her talking point extravaganza just pushed independents further away.

No, but shoring up the base can keep this a reasonably close race, versus an utter blowout/beatdown. If McCain loses badly next month, I suspect his career is over.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »
    Yeah, you basically hear the McCain camp screaming in terror.
    I don't think so. I think that line was exactly what they wanted her to say. After standing up there and not shitting the bed, have her say "I wish I could talk more to the people." Her people will eat that up, as they are already ready to blame the media (see: old lady in Fox News focus group). They can say she wants to be out there, and then do town hall meetings with her. No follow ups and people eating the talking points.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

No, but shoring up the base can keep this a reasonably close race, versus an utter blowout/beatdown. If McCain loses badly next month, I suspect his career is over.

I don't see what getting it reasonably close will accomplish. New England kept it reasonably close, they still lost. McCain's career is over if he doesn't win the election, and his current tactics are like he's in the lead and the polls certainly don't show that. Any of the polls.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Can we not make that the new phrase? Bill Richardson said "stop the bleeding" three times in as many minutes, and then I kept hearing it.

Edit: Also, new-clee-ar. If anyone says nuke u ler I'm going to stab them in the throat.

I kept praying all night that Biden was going to say "Actually, it's pronounced nu-clee-ar" before going right back to what he was saying before. Don't dwell on it, just put it out there, move on, and let Palin sweat how she's going to react.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I don't see what getting it reasonably close will accomplish. New England kept it reasonably close, they still lost. McCain's career is over if he doesn't win the election, and his current tactics are like he's in the lead and the polls certainly don't show that. Any of the polls.

Keeping it close means he did a good job, but the numbers just weren't there for him. A total beatdown means he was a failure.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I kept praying all night that Biden was going to say "Actually, it's pronounced nu-clee-ar" before going right back to what he was saying before. Don't dwell on it, just put it out there, move on, and let Palin sweat how she's going to react.

He couldn't, because it would be seen as condecending despite Palin being a royal bitch. "Say it ain't so Joe" and that bullshit about middle class values she shit out.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Edit: I'm not really worried about Iran getting nucular weapons, because they'd have to throw a clam shell pretty far and hard to really hurt anyone.

I'm not worried about Iran getting nuclear weapons because Israel would be their only real target and, well, Israel has proved QUITE capable of taking care of themselves.

EDIT to ask: Has ANYONE been making the dreaded "OMG, Sexist!" argument?

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    He couldn't, because it would be seen as condecending despite Palin being a royal bitch. "Say it ain't so Joe" and that bullshit about middle class values she shit out.
    Exactly. And the "There you go again" didn't win any points with anyone who didn't have a Reagan hard on.

What he should have done was ask her directly if it was "naive and dangerous" when Ronald Reagan sat down with the Gorbechev to end the Cold War, and watched as she imploded.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

"That's jest how us small-town folks say it, doggone it."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Exactly. And the "There you go again" didn't win any points with anyone who didn't have a Reagan hard on.

What he should have done was ask her directly if it was "naive and dangerous" when Ronald Reagan sat down with the Gorbechev to end the Cold War, and watched as she imploded.

Not really any time, and Biden was actually answering most of the questions asked of him. Not just shuffling to the index card that had the right answer.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tomanta wrote: »

I'm not worried about Iran getting nuclear weapons because Israel would be their only real target and, well, Israel has proved QUITE capable of taking care of themselves.

EDIT to ask: Has ANYONE been making the dreaded "OMG, Sexist!" argument?

thats not an arguement you "make" its implied and discussed by people who care about such things.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Heh, I set my facebook status to:

"is "Darn right" and "Say it isn't so, Joe!" and "beeboping skipping all over Alaska"."

Because I knew I'd get a bite from one of my friends, and here's what he said first:
    Sorry, i would have to say that Sarah talked all over Joe!

And my reply:
    She sure did! She clearly has no idea what's going on, so she just went ahead and talked about whatever the hell she wants!

And his final reply:
    Joe Biden used to be a McCain supporter till NObama gave him the VP spot. I wonder if the slum lord friend of NObama, Tony Resco has anything to say about that? Or Jeremiah Wright?

Sounds like I pissed him off.

urahonky on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Heh, I set my facebook status to:

"is "Darn right" and "Say it isn't so, Joe!" and "beeboping skipping all over Alaska"."

Because I knew I'd get a bite from one of my friends, and here's what he said first:
    Sorry, i would have to say that Sarah talked all over Joe!

And my reply:
    She sure did! She clearly has no idea what's going on, so she just went ahead and talked about whatever the hell she wants!

And his final reply:
    Joe Biden used to be a McCain supporter till NObama gave him the VP spot. I wonder if the slum lord friend of NObama, Tony Resco has anything to say about that? Or Jeremiah Wright?

Sounds like I pissed him off.

:lol:

Your friend isn't even making any sense.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Twice I doubted the McCain race, last year during the primaries and recently so I had to watch the debate as my confidence in Palin was severely shaken after her recent interviews. After the debate my confidence is fully restored and I'm as energized as when she gave her speech at the RNC.

Just... How.

No, really, I want to know. This baffles me.

The woman seems nice enough but she's vapid and corrupt. People should not treat ignorance as a virtue, she does.

She spent the entire debate refusing to answer questions she didn't have a memorized answer for and reading cheat sheets. The Obama campaign should have pressed to refuse to allow notes to be brought in from outside.

Our leaders should be smart. They should be articulate. Being "Folksey" is not a substitute. "I could have a beer with 'm" is not a good justification for leadership.

Fortunately the undecideds saw right through her. McCain needed her to not make an ass out of herself. She failed. She won't gain any votes and McCain is to far behind. Assuming no huge shakeups, Obama has won this election.

2909496470_d751e8a3dc.jpg?v=0

KiTA on
This discussion has been closed.