As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Shin Megami Tensei [The End]

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Nope, just been tied up. Maybe in the next couple days. (I had wanted to do one today, but I just got a PS3, so yeah. :P)

There aren't any SMT games on PS3!

yet

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Exactly.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Loving this, keep it up!

Neurotika on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This one's gonna be shorter than expected, because I'll need feedback.

Goody!

Part 6: La Resistance Lives On
    601.jpg

Surely!

602.jpg
    Opposing the coup d'etat isn't just stupid, it's dangerous!

What do civilians know anyway?

603.jpg
    Please do something, anything! We have to save her!

We can't have much of a quartet without the lovable mascot, so...

604.jpg

Off we go!

605.jpg

Right, it's all his fault. But we can pawn off his execution on a demon or something.

606.jpg

Destination blackout.

607.jpg

It's like the super bowl, only cheaper!

608.jpg

See? Demons can behave, it's all about regulation.

law.jpg
    It's Paula! Hurry, let's rescue her! There's not much time!

chaos.jpg
    Hold it, KANEDAAA! Calm down! Don't be foolish. If we run out into that plaza now,
    we'll be shot down before we get within 200 feet of Paula!

609.jpg

yuriko.jpg
    After a long and arduous search, we have finally captured their leader, Paula!

Gotou is a kind man, and has forgiven this woman for the many acts of sabotage and terrorism
    that she has organized against our great country! However, that does not erase her crime of
    opposing him in the first place!

610.jpg

Wait...I see we have some uninvited guests hiding over there!

Come on out, little weasels! I've arranged special, front-row seats to this event just for you!

611.jpg

Poor Toaster, don't you see? If only you had chosen me instead, this wouldn't have had to happen to her.

All right then, do it! Kill them!

Sending demons to do her dirty work? What a girl.

612.jpg

Worse, undead demons.

613.jpg

No big deal, a bit of ignition and they're toast.

614.jpg

But wait, there's more!

615.jpg

Maha-Agi works on them too.

616.jpg

This is a bit trickier, but not much.

But they keep coming!

617.jpg

And that's the end of it.

618.jpg

And the next time and the next...

619.jpg

It's what we do.

620.jpg

On that note, we vamanos back to the mall.

Particularly the new Resistance Bar.

621.jpg

heroine2.jpg
    Are Toaster and his friends here?

622.jpg

heroine2.jpg
    Not only did you save my life, but you saved our last hope of saving Tokyo from destruction.

In thanks, I'll tell you everything that I learned. I hope it will prove helpful to you.

ps.png

KANEDAAA, the Paula that you are searching for is apparently in Ichigaya. The coup d'etat forces have
    been bringing all the people that they captured named Paula to their headquarters there.

law.jpg
    So that's where she is...

heroine2.jpg
    Bruno, we have also gotten some information that has lead us to discover the location of Ozawa and his gang. In fact, we are in the middle of setting down a plan to attack his base of operations and capture him.

623.jpg

law.jpg
    I need to hurry, otherwise who knows what they'll do to her!

624.jpg

chaos.jpg
    I can't just sit by and let him get away with what he's doing.

625.jpg

hero2.jpg
    It's about time.

626.jpg

hero2.jpg
    Oh. Uh... yeah.

heroine2.jpg
    We need to meet with Gotou in Ichigaya, and the American ambassador as well. In order to save Tokyo from destruction, we have to either convince one of them to stop what they're doing, or get them to reach some sort of compromise. If they continue on their present course and end up in a war, Tokyo is as good as finished.

627.jpg

heroine2.jpg
    The headquarters for the coup d'etat forces is located in Ichigaya, to the east of Shinjuku. The American Embassy is in Roppongi, but with public transportation down, we'll probably have to use the underground tunnels south of here in Yotsuya to get there. Both installations are closed to the public, but to get in, we've readied this Fake ID Card.

628.jpg

If we show it to the guards, they should let us inside.

629.jpg

So then...

Where to?

Feel free to vote your preference, though I don't think it really matters?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I... I have no idea. We rescue other Paula and talk to Gotou since both are in Ichigaya?

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, Devil Survivor has taught me that the best way to save Tokyo from being destroyed by some outside force to is get rid of the demon infestation.

Therefore, I say we go to Ichigaya and smack Gotou around the head for a bit. I'm sure if that when he's subdued, the US will leave quietly.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Good to see the updates. Go Toaster!

Neurotika on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So yeah, it doesn't make a difference, but what happens at each location does.

Law/Chaos conflict up ins, so you have a preference between those factions, you might want to start considering where you stand.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I haven't seen enough of either side yet to see who's the lesser of the evils here.

I'll just say that if the plot puts the Gaians over the Messians, go with the Messians and vice versa.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Part 7: Lucifer's Call
    630.jpg

So first, Gotou's crib.

631.jpg

They're learning.

632.jpg

Well, some of them anyway.

633.jpg

This place isn't as bad as I thought. Three floors, a good amount of treasure.

634.jpg

Lots of new faces though.

635.jpg

Fortunately, rational ones, as Gaians go.

636.jpg

Except the basement is not so friendly.

637.jpg

This is where they've stashed all the Paula victims.

For lack of a reason not to, or possibly to build Toaster's harem, we let them all go.

638.jpg

Around half of the cells were empty, but there's still plenty remnants.

639.jpg

Doesn't even require a locksmith.

640.jpg
    He tried to free us, but a group of guards chased him off before he could let us out.

He's been busy.

641.jpg

Not even children are safe. Fricking Gaians.

642.jpg

Why don't we ask their boss about this nonsense?

643.jpg

It's almost like he's inviting us in.

644.jpg

Best not to TL;DR this.

180px-SMTGotou.jpg
    I'm sure you've got a bone to pick with me about Paula, but hear me out, let me try to explain where I'm coming from.

While I wanted my subordinates to keep the resistance out of my hair, I certainly didn't want her executed.
    That was entirely their idea.

Quite frankly, I haven't been paying attention to what they've been doing, as I've been busy with more important matters. There's... a plan that's being carried out. Behind the scenes, very secretive.

Only a select few know about it. The gist of the plan is to create a "Thousand Year Kingdom" in the name of God.
    Maybe you've heard of it before. A lot of religious texts mention it.

The basic idea is that those that live in the Kingdom will be promised eternal peace and tranquility.
    A paradise on Earth, if you will. Problem is, there's a catch.

It's like an exclusive club, and only those who worship God get a chance at membership.

Anyone else? Well, they get the lovely runner-up prize of getting to be slaughtered at the hands of the American Army, courtesy of God's orders.

You may not be aware of it, but at this very moment there are nuclear missiles pointed at Japan to accomplish this end.

The only thing that's keeping them from blowing us all away is a force field that the ancient gods have put up to protect us, and even they can't hold out forever.

As far as we've come, we're still weak though. I think you'd be perfect candidates. I want your help.

I won't force you to make up your minds now. I'll wait here for you to make your final decision.

Fortunately, he's patient, for a Darwinian psychopath.

I don't think Toasty would be too keen on seeing his homeland reduced to a smoldering crater, but there's still one other perspective to hear out.

645.jpg

The Embassy is just to the southeast.

646.jpg

They let us through too, language barrier notwithstanding.

647.jpg

I like their paint job.

648.jpg

The demons here are nasty.

649.jpg

He's one of the weaker ones, but at least he has Bufula.

650.jpg

They like to put everyone to sleep. Probably wouldn't be much good in the party.

Maybe for fusion fodder.

651.jpg

Aside from the first floor, this place was even smaller than Gotou's hangout.

652.jpg
    I am Thorman, the American ambassador.
    I apologize my Japanese not very good, I hope you can understand me.

I hear rumor about you! I give you big welcome!
    We bring out American army to save everyone from demons.

But... we are not strong yet. Gotou... he want to call Maou Lucifer to Tokyo.
    We need to defeat him first.

Lucifer want bring many imprisoned demons to world.
    We just soldiers. We not trained to fight demons.

You can fight demons, please help us defeat Gotou.
    If Lucifer summoned, terrible, terrible for Japan!

There will be no way to stop that many demons that he will free.
    If you defeat Gotou, peace will return to Tokyo.

We will be able to bring back former era of peace.

653.jpg

Well isn't he sociable.

So yeah, now's the time to start deciding.

Gotou and his Chaotic army of demons, the American Ambassador and the Lawful kingdom of God,

or just give them both the finger.

Whatever's preferable.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    or just give them both the finger.
    I vote for this one. It sounds the most reasonable.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, and kind of late here, but if you want to see how awesome the fusion made Pascal:

566px-Pascal.jpg

Very. I hear you can get reunited with him on a certain path, though maybe alignment doesn't matter. At least I hope not.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I, for one, welcome our neutral overlords.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Great LP so far CJ, really cool.

Isn't neutral the path everyone takes all the time in SMT games? I think you talked about that in the SMT: Imagine thread some time, CJ.

I vote for chaos, as I didn't think the demons and devils were all that mean and considering this is a Japanese game and the Americans are thinking about NUKING the damned place I think the Japanese are less evil than the God-fearing nuclear bombs.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, neutral is typically canon, except in Nocturne; True Demon is.

Personally, I agree with Chaos too, because Messians are usually jerks, and this is no exception.

Except they're not exactly nice guys either, what with the whole imprisoning every girl on the planet named Paula thing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Personally, I agree with Chaos too, because Messians are usually jerks, and this is no exception.

Except they're not exactly nice guys either, what with the whole imprisoning every girl on the planet named Paula thing.
    Yeah, they imprisoned them, but they didn't kill any...

They didn't release them after they found the real Paula, though. Which is very odd. But I dunno if that's just the story being shoddy or if they really didn't care about those women and just let them rot in jail while they went on with phase 2.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Wait, True Demon wasn't even in the orignal Japanese game, wasn't it? It only got added when it came out in the US. I thought Neutral was the 'canon' ending for that one, too.

But I suppose we won't really find out until SMT4 is released. :P

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm still kinda disappointed I couldn't get into SMT: Imagine. I rolled a melee fighter and the whole running after mobs while slowly hacking at them got old veeeeery soon. Even though it was a refreshing take on the MMORPG genre I would have preferred if it was a bit more standard and I didn't have to rely on blowing mobs away and vice versa them blowing me away.

Maybe I should have gone gunner.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Wait, True Demon wasn't even in the orignal Japanese game, wasn't it? It only got added when it came out in the US. I thought Neutral was the 'canon' ending for that one, too.

But I suppose we won't really find out until SMT4 is released. :P

True Demon was, it was added in the 'expanded' version, and we were lucky enough to get that as the US release.

I don't recall where I heard it, but supposedly (Nocturne spoilers)
    Hitoshura now leads Lucifer's army, so TDE is canon.

And Imagine as a game is mediocre at best. It happens to have a really good story if nothing else.

The Messians are actually decent people, too.

finemesi.png

Imagine takes place immediately after the Neutral ending of this game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I vote chaos too. Besides, how many girls named Paula could there be in Japan anyway? I'm sure that's just a simple misunderstanding.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So if I want to be a jerk and count my own vote(can I do that?), that makes three for Chaos and two for Neutral.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I vote Chaos, because I've done the neutral ending, and don't want you to suffer the bugs they made/left in the translation

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Real men tell the forces of Chaos and Order to fuck off. Only on the path of Neutrality will humanitys dominion be assured.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm gonna say neutral too, its far more interesting that way.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Be warned that if you go Neutral a ton of quest lines tend to get borked at the very tail end of the game.

This game though...neutral is the correct path. Chaos and Law are especially ridiculous in this game.

I've never done Law in SMT1 come to think of it; just the thought of supporting those guys...

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And Neutral takes the lead. I'll probably update tomorrow(because I really want to know what happens next), so any Gaian(or Messian!) lurkers have until then to turn the tide.

For what it's worth,
    it won't change much.

And I hear it's Law's path that has the game-breaking glitch, so I'll be glad to evade that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    And Neutral takes the lead. I'll probably update tomorrow(because I really want to know what happens next), so any Gaian(or Messian!) lurkers have until then to turn the tide.

For what it's worth,
    it won't change much.

And I hear it's Law's path that has the game-breaking glitch, so I'll be glad to evade that.

Neutral also has one, where if you fall a bit out of alignment at a certain point in the game it renders the game uncompletable (if you fall down to Chaos there are no ways to get Law points which you need to continue the game, and vice versa).

I'm pretty sure Lusife's LP on the SA forums fell to this.

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, watch who you kill at the later points of the game

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    JONJONAUG wrote: »

For what it's worth,
    it won't change much.

Neutral also has one, where if you fall a bit out of alignment at a certain point in the game it renders the game uncompletable (if you fall down to Chaos there are no ways to get Law points which you need to continue the game, and vice versa).

I'm pretty sure Lusife's LP on the SA forums fell to this.

That's how I learned of it, I never ran into that problem when I first went through the game years ago.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I vote neutral. Fuck black-reds and white-blues fanatics.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You silly geese Switzerland lovers. :x

Aldo on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Seeing as a few people are saying that neutral could possibly lead to bugs in the endgame, I say go chaos.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My heart is full of neutrality. Kill 'em all and let YHWH sort it out!

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    FreakleFreakle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Chaos please - heed lucifer's call

Freakle on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    My heart is full of neutrality. Kill 'em all and let YHWH sort it out!
    No, no, that's lawful.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pick a side!

Choose Chaos.

If I ever played this game, I'd probably try neutral, but chaos seems more interesting to watch.

How do you stop nukes with demons (the same obstacle presents itself with the neutral path, but bear with me :P)

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    PooshlmerPooshlmer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Chaos for sure.

Pooshlmer on
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Chaos! Mr. Cipher always gets what he wants.

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    cozy duckcozy duck Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I do like neutral because you'll get more action in the endgame, since neutral in SMT games basically means you're against everyone.

Plus it's canon with imagine and SMT 2, which I assume you'll do as well.

Now I heard SMT 2's neutral ending is way less interesting then chaos or law, so I say you wait for those paths until then.

cozy duck on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Pretty sure Chaos is in the lead, unless Xenogears and JonJon's posts counted as Neutral votes, then that puts Neutral up ahead.

Well, I'll be grinding for the first third of the update, so if you don't want to follow Ozawa's orders, now's the time to turn the tide. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png