As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Martial Arts & MMA] 4 - UFC is (still) Rigged

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As much as I like Aoki because he pulls off crazy submissions I just don't think he could hang with the top of the WEC. They're much better than the cans he opens in Japan.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In the vein of a shit ton of fighters getting sick, I present you Jason "Mayhem" Miller.

Hate the guy or not... you gotta have some sympathy for that right there.

Time to get to work on the new OP.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Time to get to work on the new OP.

Good luck with it, and if you need any advice, feel free to ask.

I kept the OP up to date on TUF10 since the timing coincided, but since there'll likely be no shows around the time of the next thread, you can probably keep a schedule of MMA events and their results.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    As much as I like Aoki because he pulls off crazy submissions I just don't think he could hang with the top of the WEC. They're much better than the cans he opens in Japan.

You gotta be kidding me if you think Alvarez and JZ are cans. Aoki can beat any UFC LW except Penn, and should probably be ranked ahead of Penn if you rank golf/tennis-style - ie, based on recent accomplishment, rather than "who do you think is better." I don't think dropping to 145 would help him, though. He's already underweight at 155 - he's like 6 feet tall. He just doesn't have the power to go to 170.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

That's why I'd rather see him fight a top WEC fighter than a Penn/Florian/Sanchez level UFC LW. I don't think he can hang with them.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok this isn't meant to say I hate EA's MMA game, because people say crazy shit about games all of the time. But this is delicious, it's from a preview of the game on gamesradar.com:
    "So says Strikeforce boss Scott Coker, who tells us that this is more than a videogame. He reckons that playing the MMA game could actually set you up for a career in the sport: 'The beauty of this game is that it’s so real, you’re going to actually learn how to fight mixed martial arts by playing the game. How do you get out of the mount, how do you block the kick? There’s going to be a lot of education.'"

Peen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ok this isn't meant to say I hate EA's MMA game, because people say crazy shit about games all of the time. But this is delicious, it's from a preview of the game on gamesradar.com:
    "So says Strikeforce boss Scott Coker, who tells us that this is more than a videogame. He reckons that playing the MMA game could actually set you up for a career in the sport: 'The beauty of this game is that it’s so real, you’re going to actually learn how to fight mixed martial arts by playing the game. How do you get out of the mount, how do you block the kick? There’s going to be a lot of education.'"

Ow, my brain.

TheStig on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

While this is layered in idiocy, there is a bit of truth to what he's saying here.

MMA video games definately are educational. Now, they're not going to teach a person how to fight, thats for damn sure. We'll get kids breaking each others arms with armlock attempts and maybe worse if they mess around with chokes.

But anyway, it is an educational tool for fans of the sport. The ground game in particular is very mysterious to a lot of people, and the way the ground game worked in Undisputed really showed how it worked. How you could flow from one position to another. How strikes changed things, how escapes and counters can play in. What submissions come from what positions and so on.

It also can have a somewhat detrimental educational effect by teaching false ideas. My friends really love the UFC game, but now when asking me about a fighter they ask a lot of things like "oh, is he a kickboxer of a muay thai guy?". I try to say that 99% of fighters train both, and that the distinction itself is often meaningless; kickboxing is a blanket term that can mean anything, and muay thai is also often used as a blanket description of striking training in MMA. I think its good for games to classify fighters to some extent, but people can get the idea that these are hard and fast lines when this really isn't the case.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10022&zoneid=2

Gotta be honest, I'm actually interested in this fight.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10022&zoneid=2

Handy by leaning.

815165 on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Can someone summarize what that Brock article said? The link doesn't work anymore.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    TacoManTacoMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay, so this is totally off topic, but when is Steven Seagal ever not appropriate for discussion?

Without further ado, I present the funniest thing I have seen all day:

Finally, proof that Aikido DOES work!

TacoMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    TacoMan wrote: »
    Okay, so this is totally off topic, but when is Steven Seagal ever not appropriate for discussion?

Without further ado, I present the funniest thing I have seen all day:

Finally, proof that Aikido DOES work!

This makes me wish Will Sasso was still on MADtv so they could parody it.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    there is a severe lack of roundhouse kicking in that youtube clip
    i want my money back

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    there is a severe lack of roundhouse kicking in that youtube clip
    i want my money back

He seems a little too chunky to pull that off these days.

also, that whole group of police men looks kinda chunky and out of shape.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It's not inappropriate at all. I, for one, will follow my sensei's sensei's show everytime it's on.

Stig, those guys look like typical police officers to me.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That show is my new obsession. It seems so impossible.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i hope they never have him go undercover to investigate a senator's campaign
    thats all i have to say
    actually, i could do this all day

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mike Brown is without a doubt one of my faves, but... tomorrow night we might see the Jose Aldo Happy Dance:

Jose Aldo Happy Dance

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    wow that knee peeled off his face
    yowza

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    815165 wrote: »

Handy by leaning.

Link is broken.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    B:L wrote: »

It's not inappropriate at all. I, for one, will follow my sensei's sensei's show everytime it's on.

Depends heavily on the department.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Interested. I was wondering if Coleman was going to fight after knee surgery. I imagine that he won't be in his prime, though.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's nice. I'd say Coleman takes it easily... IF he's got a gastank and is back to good health after all issues he's had. He's just a monstrous wrestler.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Coleman hasn't been in his prime since 2001. However, he is still a dangerous SOB, just like Randleman or Frye.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    That's nice. I'd say Coleman takes it easily... IF he's got a gastank and is back to good health after all issues he's had. He's just a monstrous wrestler.

I dunno. Coleman had trouble with Bonnar in his last fight. Not to say he didn't deserve the victory, but he didn't look like a fighter that could beat Randy. Just my take on it. Maybe he didn't have trouble with Bonnar, but it looked like he did, to me.

But in any case, he could probably beat Randy... just not easily.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Let's not forget, last time we saw Randy, Randy didn't look like a fighter that could beat Randy. However, it does open up a new set of sponsors for UFC events:

119962.jpg

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    :lol:

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty sure someone will have to pay me $5 to watch Randy fight Coleman. There's just no way.

Conversely, I would easily pay $10 to watch Mike Bisping's kid fight Mark Coleman's freaky ab daughter. That would be excellent.

Peen on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You don't want to see Couture/Coleman? I do. A pair of legends, IMO, even if they're both old now.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Cabezone wrote: »

Yeah they don't look at all like the cops around here.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Cabezone wrote: »

Yeah they don't look at all like the cops around here.

Must be the same department that sends out officers for shows like COPS.

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Coutoure/Coleman is going to be the best thing ever.

Or the worst thing.

The event walks a fine line.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    oh and WEC is on today

If you like fightin´you should see it. I think it's free on Versus

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Or the worst thing.

I predict it'll be infinitely better than Couture/Vera.

• Options
    edited November 2009

Or the worst thing.

I predict it'll be infinitely better than Couture/Vera.

Couture/Vera put me to sleep. Granted it was at like 3 in the morning when I was able to catch it and I was already awoken by my fiance walking her drunk ass into the room and dropping something on the floor. Yeah, in any case... it was a boring fight that put me to sleep. Never happened with MMA before.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hey, there were a couple of moments of excitement.
    lonesome_dove_52767344-x600.jpg
    pd419526.jpg

Edit: Fixed. You don't gotta be a jerk about it.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    10158326.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=2AC75F6FAA20674CA4A49CAD15D74836D286CBCC1B52D68B4BB0F49CD83EE782
    87167980.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=13A086F860DCC54D9DC3B73DC81B199F2C9A667C629D7FEC

Are those supposed to be red X's?

Because I have to say that's an awesome layer of irony.

• Options
    edited November 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    lonesome_dove_52767344-x600.jpg
    pd419526.jpg

Edit: Fixed. You don't gotta be a jerk about it.

BL is used to being a jerk. :P

I'm pumped for a double dose of MMA tonight. WEC and TUF. Too bad I don't get off of work until 9. I'll have to rush home.

ChillyWilly on