As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Martial Arts & MMA] 4 - UFC is (still) Rigged

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    Edit: Fixed. You don't gotta be a jerk about it.

BL is used to being a jerk. :P

What the fuck is wrong with you two.

The joke is that the red x's represented how the fight actually had no moments of excitement. The moments of excitement were in fact missing.

Maybe if you guys stop strawmanning once in a while you can enjoy a joke instead of getting all tight-assed about it.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I may stroke out and die shortly after I type this, because I'm actually agreeing with B:L about something, but I thought that was the joke too. When I saw the post originally and clicked on the spoilers nothing at all came up, not even the red xs, and I laughed and laughed. The pics are, well, less funny. Sorry man.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I may stroke out and die shortly after I type this, because I'm actually agreeing with B:L about something, but I thought that was the joke too. When I saw the post originally and clicked on the spoilers nothing at all came up, not even the red xs, and I laughed and laughed. The pics are, well, less funny. Sorry man.

Thanks, man.

Thinking about Couture/Coleman, Couture is one tough son of a bitch to take down. Even Lesnar had trouble with that. Coleman isn't one to be held against the cage though, and especially after seeing the Vera decision, he'll definitely be more active.

Couture will likely try to press Coleman against the cage and wear his gas tank down. Coleman should definitely train his cardio for the matchup, and try to reverse the position at the cage if he's pressed there.

It's a tough fight for Coleman. He'll have to basically do most of his ground and pound from stand-up, slipping in the occasional takedown when he can.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    GungHo wrote: »
    Edit: Fixed. You don't gotta be a jerk about it.

BL is used to being a jerk. :P

What the fuck is wrong with you two.

The joke is that the red x's represented how the fight actually had no moments of excitement. The moments of excitement were in fact missing.

Maybe if you guys stop strawmanning once in a while you can enjoy a joke instead of getting all tight-assed about it.

*psst*

I was messing with you, B. Hence the smiley face. Chill out, broseph. 8-)

Also, I've never done any "strawmanning" in this thread. You're the one that was trying to change the subject back when were talking about Fedor. Let's not start that again, shall we?

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Way to be condescending and off-topic while backpeddling and trolling simultaneously. You seem to practice that a lot.

Any thoughts on Couture/Coleman or WEC's event with Brown/Aldo?

• Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm going to watch Brown/Aldo at broadcast. I'm not going to watch Couture/Coleman except for highlights.

And, I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic w/ me or not. I shouldn't have assumed. Apologies.

GungHo on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    Cabezone wrote: »
    TacoMan wrote: »
    Okay, so this is totally off topic, but when is Steven Seagal ever not appropriate for discussion?

It's not inappropriate at all. I, for one, will follow my sensei's sensei's show everytime it's on.

Stig, those guys look like typical police officers to me.

Depends heavily on the department.

Yeah they don't look at all like the cops around here.

Must be the same department that sends out officers for shows like COPS.

One of the cops I know has been on cops, so.. maybe?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Way to be condescending and off-topic while backpeddling and trolling simultaneously. You seem to practice that a lot.

Any thoughts on Couture/Coleman or WEC's event with Brown/Aldo?

I wasn't condecescending. You just took it that way. Your fault, not mine.

Trolling is making comments that are specifically supposed to upset other forum members, which I did not intend to do. If something I said looked like trolling to you, it is, once again, your fault.

I wasn't backpedaling from anything. I was genuinely kidding with you. Guess who's fault it is if you took it another way? That's right: Yours.

But you're right about me being off-topic. So I'll fix that.

Latest update on Brock's health. Looks like he's doing well. Still not sure about his fighting future, but it looks like he's coming home to heal for now.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10026&zoneid=1

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Man I didn't know Marcus Davis was fighting Ben Saunders Saturday. Now I really really want to watch this card, instead of just really. Guess I'll have to find a bar that shows it.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Man I didn't know Marcus Davis was fighting Ben Saunders Saturday. Now I really really want to watch this card, instead of just really. Guess I'll have to find a bar that shows it.

Better be sure they're going to show the Spike prelims. Most of the bars I go to have EPSN going until UFC comes on on Saturday nights.

I'm glad they're showing the prelims on Spike now. I'm surprised it took them this long to do it. Cameras are already there recording the event, why not help some of your lesser known guys get some exposure?

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Your fault, not mine.

it is, once again, your fault.

Guess who's fault it is? That's right: Yours.

Wow. At least GungHo was classy enough to apologize, and I accepted it and want to apologize back. Even if we have differences of opinion, we can at least still be civil with each other.

But if you're having issues retracting your mean-spirited "joke", then that's your issue and you shouldn't air it out publically like this.

Marcus Davis vs Ben Saunders is interesting. Their last loss was against Dan Hardy (split decision) and Mike Swick (TKO from punches) respectively. If Saunders ducks into range like he did against Swick, it won't look good for him.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And for something completely different...

In Super Six news, apparently Sauerland are pretty upset that two judges and the ref for Saturdays Kessler v. Ward fight are all from California, like Andre Ward, of "Kessler v. Ward" fame. They're threatening to pull the WBA title from being on the line, a title they may or may not have, considering the WBA have made another fight on Saturday for Kesslers WBA title and elevated Kessler to "super champion", despite him not actually qualifying for that and also the other match is now for an interim WBA title. All this and more in next weeks episode of Soap.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Do they think everyone from California knows each other or something?

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    Do they think everyone from California knows each other or something?

While there are arguments that some judges can be biased based on nationality, California is so fucking diverse that they're just as likely to hate you as they are to like you.

Unless they're from Northern NorCal where it's all rednecks really.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For some bizarre reason, they're probably worried about hometown judging.

And seriously, when was the last time you saw a boxing match between two fighters of different nationalities that had two out of three judges being not only from one fighters country but from his state? Not even the Germans are that obvious.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Your fault, not mine.

it is, once again, your fault.

Guess who's fault it is? That's right: Yours.

Wow. At least GungHo was classy enough to apologize, and I accepted it and want to apologize back. Even if we have differences of opinion, we can at least still be civil with each other.

But if you're having issues retracting your mean-spirited "joke", then that's your issue and you shouldn't air it out publically like this.

Let me get this straight: You can make a joke at GungHo's expense about the red X's and it's ok, but I can't make a joke towards you? Double standard much, B?

If what I said is that big of an issue to you, then I'll remember not to mess around with you in the future. But I won't apologize because I did nothing wrong in the first place.

Anyway, this is done. Our last argument went on too long, but at least it was on topic. This one has no relevance to anything. Back to MMA.

I'm going back and forth about ordering 106 this weekend. I don't really care about Griffin and Ortiz, but I really want to see Johnson knock Koscheck's teeth into his lungs/stomach/out his ass. At least, that's what I'm praying will happen. I'm a big fan of Johnson's.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man

I'm leaving on vacation on Friday. The capital city I'll be in on Saturday may or may not have one bar that may or may not be showing the UFC fight.

Good luck to me on that one.

adytum on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    And for something completely different...

In Super Six news, apparently Sauerland are pretty upset that two judges and the ref for Saturdays Kessler v. Ward fight are all from California, like Andre Ward, of "Kessler v. Ward" fame. They're threatening to pull the WBA title from being on the line, a title they may or may not have, considering the WBA have made another fight on Saturday for Kesslers WBA title and elevated Kessler to "super champion", despite him not actually qualifying for that and also the other match is now for an interim WBA title. All this and more in next weeks episode of Soap.

The two judges who scored the fight for Froch were from Europe, like Froch is. The one who scored it for Dirrell is from North America, like Dirrell is. And all the Froch backers said after the fight was "Don't leave it up to the judges."

Well, Kessler - don't leave it up to the judges. Then there's nothing to complain about, right?
    3 California judges is 100% bullshit, none of the judges should be from the US or Denmark. But stacking the deck is par for the course in boxing.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wait I checked the UFC's website and it's got "may not be broadcast" by the Davis/Saunders fight; does that mean it's in the prelims? Because if so, hot damn!

Peen on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so, they are reshowing ufc 105 right now before the tuf quarterfinals. after reading everyones view on this fight im prolly going to skipit to watch the wec matches.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Wait I checked the UFC's website and it's got "may not be broadcast" by the Davis/Saunders fight; does that mean it's in the prelims? Because if so, hot damn!

Wikipedia has it listed as a prelim on Spike. Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt is also supposed to be on the prelims.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    TUF ended pretty much right as Brown/Aldo starts. Excellent timing. :)

I have a feeling that Brown might be losing his belt this evening.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Round 1 Brown Aldo
    Aldo definitely won that one, but Brown still have a feeling of inevitability to me. Like he's just going to keep coming. It might not be enough to win but I don't think he gets finished either way

ed
    Wow was I wrong

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Brown/Aldo
    Holy crap. Mike Brown got completely smashed. Aldo is the real deal.

TUF 10
    Nice knockout by Brendan. 2 hour special next week for TUF? Count me in.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No Aldo dance? I'm disappointed.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aldo dance? I'm disappointed.

No spoiler tags? I'm disappointed.

Also, Rua/Machida likely for May in Montreal.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10030&zoneid=13

Since they'll be in Canada, I smell a GSP title defense. :D

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TUF 10:
    I actually liked the volleyball scene, though I lol'd when they openly referenced Top Gun.

Brendan learned from his mistakes in round 1 and showed by Jon was lucky to have been put against the guy he was for the first fight.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TUF
    Brendan didn't look good at all. He should have lost a point between grabbing the fence and the shorts.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Also, Rua/Shogun likely for May in Montreal.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10030&zoneid=13

Dragon/Shogun?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Maybe I'm being an elitist here, but I really wish the commentators for MMA would get at least a little more education concerning the names of submissions. This WEC commentator called a RNC a Guillotine at least 5 times in as many minutes. Wait what the fuck the announcer just said "winner by guillotine!"

...The hell?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Also, Rua/Shogun likely for May in Montreal.

Dragon/Shogun?

The dangers of typing too fast. Haha.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also, Rua/Machida likely for May in Montreal.

Aaaand there's the expected Machida/Shogun II: Electric Boogaloo for mucho $$$.

Well, I guess it wasn't expected by everyone.
    PantsB wrote: »
    BTW I would be shocked if there was an "Instant Rematch!"
    SHOCK AND AWE.

TUF10 - Brendan vs. Jon:
    Jon has some mean strength, but those slams weren't too effective, he didn't get much done on the ground except lay there. I really liked how he managed to scoot over to his corner though, that was smart.

Brendan was DEFINITELY too tentative with his strikes, as a striker. He was clearly afraid to take risks, but he should've at least stuck something relatively safe in like jabs. When Jon was gassed, Brendan took forever to notice and threw two good rights to finish the fight later than it should've ended. He at least used some shrimping which helped him immensely on the ground.

All-in-all, an interesting TUF performance. Jon gets his karma for that shitty Matt-Hughes-like glove-touch-takedown he did against his first opponent. Brendan can grab the cage as many times as he wants against that kinda bullshit. That bow and neck cut win pose was awkward, especially after a tentative performance.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Maybe I'm being an elitist here, but I really wish the commentators for MMA would get at least a little more education concerning the names of submissions. This WEC commentator called a RNC a Guillotine at least 5 times in as many minutes. Wait what the fuck the announcer just said "winner by guillotine!"

...The hell?

It happens all the time, and yeah its annoying.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

...The hell?

It happens all the time, and yeah its annoying.

Mir wasn't there to correct him? I don't have TV right now :(

TheStig on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    :cry:
    Brownie.... noooooooooooooo!

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    He was, and he corrected him (sort of) the first time, but seems like he just Let it go after that.

Have I mentioned recently that Rampage is a jackass?

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Have I mentioned recently that Rampage is a jackass?

I blame his deteriorated mental condition, really.

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Why would you post the results of a fight without spoiler tags? I somehow managed to miss it up until now. Cry cry etc. :(

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Why would you post the results of a fight without spoiler tags? I somehow managed to miss it up until now. Cry cry etc. :(

Seriously. Spoiler tags please, people.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The funniest thing from that episode is still the "Do you guys want to win $1500 or see me knock him the fuck out?" 'cause that was totally the choice. :lol:

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg