As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Martial Arts & MMA] 4 - UFC is (still) Rigged

1575859606163»

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TUF predictions:
    Marcus and McSweeney win, they pit Marcus beats Schaub and Nelson beats McSweeney

This presumes I'm right that if you-know-who was coming back they'd hype the hell out of it

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »
    On another note, can I request that the mods keep this thread open until TUF10 concludes on Wednesday? It'll be nice to encapsulate the whole event into one thread rather than have it spill over.

I'm pretty sure TUF is off this Wednesday because of Thanksgiving. I think they're finishing it up with the two-hour episode on 12/2 with the Finale being on 12/5.

It is on this week, I thought I'd read the rest of the fights would happen.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    On the channel that shows UFC over here, there's a live three hour UFC event scheduled for Friday, 4:30 EST. Anyone have any idea what in the world that could be?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm gonna let this thread go a page or two more until I post the new one... Busy as hell today.

Also, I think the three hour event is just another compilation of past UFC fights like one that was on during Strikeforce.

EDIT: Just did a check. It's for the TUF Finale. It's got Kimbo versus Houston Alexander, and Mark Hamill versus Jon Jones.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    On another note, can I request that the mods keep this thread open until TUF10 concludes on Wednesday? It'll be nice to encapsulate the whole event into one thread rather than have it spill over.

I'm pretty sure TUF is off this Wednesday because of Thanksgiving. I think they're finishing it up with the two-hour episode on 12/2 with the Finale being on 12/5.

I just checked UFC's website and you're right. This week is a re-airing of an old episode.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm gonna let this thread go a page or two more until I post the new one... Busy as hell today.

Also, I think the three hour event is just another compilation of past UFC fights like one that was on during Strikeforce.

EDIT: Just did a check. It's for the TUF Finale. It's got Kimbo versus Houston Alexander, and Mark Hamill versus Jon Jones.

Luke Skywalker's fighting Bones? Now that's news!

Peen on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You mean to say

The Joker is fighting The Martian Man Hunter?!

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well played. Also, I'm excited to see JJ fight any time he can.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Or maybe Guyver. That would be way crazier.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

kelley.jpg vs luke-skywalker.jpg?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Watching Jones is always interesting. I think Hamill can pose problems for him though.

Either way, I like both guys and I wouldn't mind seeing either one win.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ok so i've been thinking about eyepokes and cage grabbing lately, and what if we had the same fight mitts but they go all the way to the fingertips and are webbed. That would give enough finger freedom for grappling but be impossible to grab a cage with and a bit harder to get a finger in they eye with. What do you guys think

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    ok so i've been thinking about eyepokes and cage grabbing lately, and what if we had the same fight mitts but they go all the way to the fingertips and are webbed. That would give enough finger freedom for grappling but be impossible to grab a cage with and a bit harder to get a finger in they eye with. What do you guys think

My first reaction is to say they wouldn't work, but I've thought about it for a minute and can't think of why not. It would form something like a mitten around your hands, which is indeed fine for most grappling. You'd have to have the thumb separate and a lot of eyepokes come from the thumb, but whatever. It would make it more difficult, but not impossible to grab the cage. Wouldn't change striking that much. It would alter the friction of the fingers which would change some things in a fairly small way.

Aside from them looking and feeling weird they don't sound like a bad idea, but I'm curious to hear other opinions. It feels like I'm overlooking something.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    They'd have to have enough padding to be too big to get into your eye socket, which would mean having corners small enough to brush the eye still.

It's a pretty hard problem to solve really.

815165 on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    so maybe koscheck wasn't faking about the eye thing.

http://www.watchkalibrun.com/2009/11/23/1170509/koscheck-vs-johnson-battle-of-the

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »

I've seen that pic before, and its hard to call it proof of anything. Its way too blurry to see whats actually going on, and to me it looks like its behind Koschecks nose, which means it'd be hitting his right eye, if anything.

It was certainly an illegal blow, but Koscheck took it like a soccer player. Guys get poked in the eye all the time in the UFC. They'll squint for a while and walk it off. Sometimes its bad enough that guys actually writhe around on the ground and the fight is stopped. Koscheck was clearly milking it for all he was worth.

What would be really informative is pics of Kos a day or two after the fight. Any eyepoke like that leaves nasty looking black eyes, I'd be interested to see what Kos looks like right now.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rogan was on some show on Sirius (Jason Ellis) and he said the eye poke came before the replay that we saw showig the illegal knee. This might be what you guys are talking about. The link above wouldn't open for me. Joe was appalled that anyone could accuse Kos of faking. Personally, I don't have a damn clue. For those of you who care, Joe also thinks Machida lost his fight and Vera won his. Rogan interviews are never boring.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Rogan was totally accusing Kos of faking during the broadcast, so...

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Rogan was totally accusing Kos of faking during the broadcast, so...

I don't think he accused him of faking, he just stated that neither the knee nor the hand after the knee hit the eye Koscheck was holding.

And he was right.

It's certainly possible that some people read into that that Joe thought Kos was faking, but I think it was more just honest confusion over what got him.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Uh, I'm going to be posting the new thread later on today. I won't if you guys feel this thread can last a page or two more.

If you want to contribute to the new OP, then just PM me, and I'll try to make it all nice and neaty.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    I think we'll be better off just not mentioning arts that aren't popularly represented in contemporary MMA. Fair? It'll stem the tide of "olol insert martial art here".

Organichu on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    I think we'll be better off just not mentioning arts that aren't popularly represented in contemporary MMA. Fair? It'll stem the tide of "olol insert martial art here".

But this is the Martial Art thread, no? Why focus exclusively on MMA?

If you want then I could remove Karate. Even though that is the style of the UFC Light Heavyweight champ but it's not "popular".

I guess if you want to go back to "ONLY STYLES IN THE UFC GAME ONLY" then that's your choice.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

If you want then I could remove Karate. Even though that is the style of the UFC Light Heavyweight champ but it's not "popular".

I guess if you want to go back to "ONLY STYLES IN THE UFC GAME ONLY" then that's your choice.

Ok this, this right here? This taking it a step too far is why people think you're a dickhole. Which we don't all of the time, I should point out. Just sometimes. Like now.

Peen on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is basically an MMA thread, we spend very little time talking about arts that aren't well represented in MMA. The ratio of Tai Chi and Aikido discussion in the OP to Tai Chi and Aikido discussion in the thread itself is too high.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So you're saying we need more Aikido discussion, right? I can get behind that.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

You enjoy being an elitist prick, don't you?

And I'm all for the suggestion of putting the new OP up. Honestly, you can put whatever fighting styles you want in it. None of that really concerns me. I just want a place where I can discuss fighting and such with my peeps.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hokuto Shinken?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EPEPS_4uHM#t=1m

Edit: fuck, how do I disable embedding but still have a clickable link so I can direct people to a certain segment of a video? Christ.

JJ on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Basically when I said 'don't mention 'non MMA' styles in the OP, I meant don't mention them alongside those styles that mesh well with MMA- don't award them the same gravitas. I don't care if the OP is sprawling and includes lots of info on various arts- but a generalized section marrying, say, Muay Thai and Wing Chun... it's a recipe for disaster.

And Jesus, B:L, cut it out.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alright, I'm mostly done. I'm going to post the new topic, and update it from that point on. Feel free to tell me what you want to see, or you don't like to see through PMs.

doug_grammar on