As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thread lacks tentacles

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sadly, still nothing on the Disgaea front.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    So Houk. Explain what Burst and Rate mean... also, the little swords on the bottom.

soulcradle33qx6.jpg

Aroduc on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd have to agree that the first thing I thought about when reading that summary was Ogre Battle. I was a bit disappointed about the items though. I absolutely loved going through and equipping all my doodz in OB64 (maybe that's a bit too much micromanagement for some people, but I'd think the N1 fanbase is pretty content with romping through menus). OB64 had some of the best equipment diversity of any game I've every played. It was a real delight having unique swords or whatever for pretty much every damn character I fielded. And you usually got your enemies' amazingly badass weapons. Certainly more enjoyable than all this 'Iron Sword' crap... I would've loved to see what N1 could do in that same vein.

Still pretty excited about this though. Unit customization should be damn fantastic. The attacking dead guys though...I thought we all learned our lesson back with Final Fantasy.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aroduc - i dont have the game in front of me, but to the best of my knowledge, that stuff at the bottom doesn't show up in the game. At least, not the version i have.

Anyway, i just beat the game last weekend (first cycle anyway - no bonus stuff yet). Clocked in at almost 35 hours, which is pretty respectable for the first playthrough. I pretty much never had to powerlevel, but i did find a fairly game-breaking leveling method that made the last few fights pretty much a cakewalk. But if you just follow the story, leveling as you go, it should provide a pretty good challenge throughout.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Houk wrote:
    Aroduc - i dont have the game in front of me, but to the best of my knowledge, that stuff at the bottom doesn't show up in the game. At least, not the version i have.

Anyway, i just beat the game last weekend (first cycle anyway - no bonus stuff yet). Clocked in at almost 35 hours, which is pretty respectable for the first playthrough. I pretty much never had to powerlevel, but i did find a fairly game-breaking leveling method that made the last few fights pretty much a cakewalk. But if you just follow the story, leveling as you go, it should provide a pretty good challenge throughout.

As much as I do love NIS, I really do wish their game-breakers weren't so... game-breaking. (Edit: yes, I know that's a retarded sentence)

So do we have a US release date? I'm kinda bummed because I was all set to call God or War 2 my last PS2 title... looks like Soul Cradle is gonna take that honor.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LCDXX wrote:
    Houk wrote:

As much as I do love NIS, I really do wish their game-breakers weren't so... game-breaking. (Edit: yes, I know that's a retarded sentence)

So do we have a US release date? I'm kinda bummed because I was all set to call God or War 2 my last PS2 title... looks like Soul Cradle is gonna take that honor.
    Yeah, i was kinda disappointed too. i'm hoping the bonus stuff is a nice challenge though.

Not sure on the release date, but it should be later this summer/early fall at the latest.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There are no words to express the sheer waves of awesomenitude that radiate from this game. I... I think I'm actually crying.

Nippon Ichi... I love you... I love you so much.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Level 9999 Nekomatas.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wait, so it simulates an RPG?

rayofash on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey Houk-tan. Now that SC is out... I DEMAND JUICY DETAILS.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    like what? i dont really know anything about the story yet (aside from the major stuff), and i *think* i went over all the battle system stuff earlier in the thread. i dont think there's as much bonus/unlockable stuff as other games (only a couple 'secret characters' as far as i know), but lots of branching storylines and multiple dialogue choices.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
    Tell us about special characters then. And equippables. And stealing from stores/peoples. And (well, maybe wait until spoiler tags are back) any neat post-game stuff.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Equippables are way less important in this game than any of the disgaea series. You can use them to boost various stats, but you don't need to equip anything to beat the game (i pretty much didnt cuz i couldn't read them mostly). The stealing from/beating up on people i never figured out, again because of my non-japanese handicap. Sadly, ive figured out just about everything i can till i start working on the english script :(

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    -Graphics are pretty much exactly the same as Disgaea 2. Same engine, same 2D sprites on 3D world idea. Battle plays out quite a bit differently, though. Basically, you build squads of (up to) 9 characters each. Every squad has 3 front row squares, 3 middle, 3 back. Depending on where you put a unit, they will have different standard attacks (healer in front - basic attack. healer in middle - heals one guy big-time. healer in back - heals everyone medium). Also depending on what types of units you put together you can unlock special team attacks that look really friggin sweet.

So, it's Ogre Battle?
    -When you start, you can only have 4-5 people in a squad, and the layout of front/middle/back squares is randomized. Basically, you get a random tileset. If you don't like it, you go to a menu and cycle through random patterns till you find one you like, then you lock it in. Battle actually takes place on a 2D field sorta thing, like the other games. But when you attack someone, you go to a Fire Emblem/Advance Wars type screen where you can see your attacks play out. You also have the option of turning these off and dealing damage directly on the main screen.

Ogre Battle!
    -In battle, you summon your army directly from your main unit. You can bring out as many as you want in one turn (max 10? I've only got 4 squads total), but each squad costs money to summon. It's not a lot, but in the early game it can be a bit of a pain.

OGRE BATTLE!!!
    -Generally, you unlock a class when you beat that class in battle. Not always, but for the most part.

-From what I can tell (which isn't much), it looks like items have taken a back seat to characters. Unless I'm very mistaken (highly possible), you don't equip individual characters - you equip squads with minor stat-boosting gear instead.

-There doesn't appear to be any sort of reincarnation system. Instead, whenever you create a new character, you can pay more money to instantly raise him to the same level as your main character. Or you can start him at lvl 1, or anywhere inbetween. Definitely one of the coolest features.

OGRE BATTLE!!!!!

All my cocks, exploding, etc etc.

KiTA on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, Ogre Battle without the alignment management and battles on a far smaller scale than the war campaign of each stage. But mostly, yeah. Squad Based SRPG = <3

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, definately.

This is a good bet for a US release, right?

KiTA on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man I'd cream for Ogre Battle to come out on VC.

JJ on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
    KiTA wrote: »
    Yeah, definately.

This is a good bet for a US release, right?

They've already confirmed it, though no release date as of yet. Given that the Jap release was delayed a couple months from their normal releases, probably late summer to mid fall if the usual turn-around time holds.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So uh.

Do want.

Is Ar Tonelico worth picking up in the meantime? It kinda snuck up on me before I realized it was coming. ;)

KiTA on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2007
    Today, we'd like to give you a chance to name characters from Soul Nomad!

Submit your most creative names for Soul Nomad's random name generator, and get a chance to have the name appear in Soul Nomad! Here are the rules for the Soul Nomad Random Name Campaign. Please read carefully, since there will be 2 steps for you to get your original names in the game, the Submission and Voting stages.

You may only submit one set of names, with a maximum of 5 different names.
    You must provide your name and e-mail address to send your submission.
    Submissions will be accepted starting on April 10 . The final day for submissions will be April 16 at 5pm PST.
    NIS America, Inc. will select 100 names and put them to a public vote on our official website beginning April 24. Voting will end on April 30 at 5pm PST

So, random name thing again.

http://nisamerica.com/games/soulnomad/name/index.php

Well Houk... this going to... er.... how shall we say... be handled the same as the last one?
    IE terribly?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    EVERYONE VOTE FOR RIDONKULOUS! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
    Please don't.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is this game related at all to 20240466.JPG?

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2007
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    Is this game related at all to 20240466.JPG?

Take a wild guess.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    So, random name thing again.

http://nisamerica.com/games/soulnomad/name/index.php

Well Houk... this going to... er.... how shall we say... be handled the same as the last one?
    IE terribly?
    One word. Fuck NO. The guy who picked the piece of shit names last year doesn't work for us anymore, and I am personally gonna oversee the selection of names. And for the record, I was against ridonkulous from day fucking 1.

ps i never realized omikron had a subtitle until after we picked the new name. i was slightly sad, but also happy to be associated with such fucking awesome game.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2007
    Good man. I hope to see 99% fewer 4chan memes this time around.

And a working poll.

But I'm picky like that. :P

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    well we're building a new polling system from the ground up. supposedly its going to log IPs and whatnot.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow. Nothing but the best 2002 technology to spare, eh? :P
    I'm just poking at you for fun, you know I love you like a man loves a bacon cheeseburger.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Houk I think you need to have Raijin Quickfoot in the game somewhere since you had a reference to him in Disgaea 2 with that one bow. I think any game you help with should have him mentioned somehow. Make it a running joke. I even submitted Raijin and Quickfoot as names to help make it happen.

Gilder on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    Houk I think you need to have Raijin Quickfoot in the game somewhere since you had a reference to him in Disgaea 2 with that one bow. I think any game you help with should have him mentioned somehow. Make it a running joke. I even submitted Raijin and Quickfoot as names to help make it happen.

No, he had his turn. Let the rest of us have a chance. :P

I like the character art style. To be honest, Yggra Union's style is a little grating to me.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It kinda sucks actually. For this game, there really aren't a lot of opportunities for funny non-sequitors. All the items are pretty straightforward and their descriptions actually...describe what the items do. Though I am gonna try to sneak in a few special names into the random generator on top of the randomly selected ones. We shall see!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You could just have me be "Dr. Primus" for a healer or something. :^:

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Update! The random names are up and ready to be voted on here. Vote vote vote vote vote!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why isn't "Houk" a random name? :(

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    because i have better ways of sneaking in my own names ;-)

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh Houk, you devil you.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    because i have better ways of sneaking in my own names ;-)

You didn't make yourself a boss or something did you? If so, I'll hate you forever and ever.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    haha nah. this game doesn't actually have a ton of named characters, besides the 'storyline' people. mostly ill be relying on the rest of the random names to increase my internet cred.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Secret Boss Name!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    actually i guess i couldve named one of the actual world eaters after myself, or the big god dude. oh well.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AuxiliaryAuxiliary Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    How does the character fusion work? What sort of ability combos can you come up with?

Auxiliary on
    449065309_fb9d9dc0b2_o.jpg
    Suburban Ninja on the long lonely road of ninjitsu.
    Pokemon Diamond - 5412 6392 0193
This discussion has been closed.