The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Phalla] Kill Doctor Lucky in Phalla Mansion - Good Night, Doctor Lucky (Game Over)

15960616264

Posts

  • Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Go bodyguards that didn't die!


    And of course those of us that did :P

    Typhus733 on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    See Rolecalls in and of themselves are fine.

    Villager: What is your role?
    Not Confirmed Person: I am Papa Smurf.
    Villager: That's two people claiming that role. Hmmmmm

    It's this stupid "I will compare the text of your role PM to see if you really ARE a villager" thing that is stupid and meta. If it hadn't cost me the game, I'd be glad to see that Blarney punished people who tried to use meta crap to network themselves.

    El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • Dac VinDac Vin and I'm here to make another anime speech because I'm compelled Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Infidel wrote: »
    People realize that quoting role PMs to prove shit is lame right? And breaks/makes the game pointless?

    Kudos to people that actually try to reason things out, and those that didn't got what they deserved!

    It was completely possible for the village to figure this out in the beginning days, don't blame Blarney making a design decision to not allow role calls.

    Just so people stop making the "DAC VIN ATE EVRYTHNG OLOL" a meme, giving all the factions role PMs to the mafia was probably the very best thing about this game, and a genius masterstroke from Blarney to stop rolecalls.

    alright: new meme people!

    Dac Vin hates everything except things that prevent rolecalls OLOL
    :P

    And networks. Why do you think I'm like the only one who loves thralls duna? :P

    Dac Vin on
    camo_sig.png
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    To be fair, from what I know trust was the only real networking force out there in this game. Very few seer cards, no information on death, no masons.

    Also duel motive people, was there any minus to being one? Or did they just have easier win conditions available to them?

    Gumpy on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bodyguard balance is debatable yes.

    The bodyguards were probably too powerful given that there was faction competition in the village. We were under a lot of suspicion and early losses, most of us weren't that much different from regular villagers, and if it weren't for infiltration (silly soft networks :lol:) and motive confliction towards the latter half the bodyguards wouldn't have been able to deflect the vote repeatedly.

    Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Also duel motive people, was there any minus to being one? Or did they just have easier win conditions available to them?

    I'm not sure what the single motive people got, but I was dual, and needed to have someone from one faction or the other kill Dr. Lucky, or I lost.

    El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The minus for being dual motive was that they ideal mafia targets :)

    Rawkking Goodguy on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, the first day I was "dual motives? kill em!"

    Sucks if they revealed such publicly heh.

    Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If it helps, we didn't know that the evictions came first until after the game. Ninja bodyguard threw the village off the most, and helped the mafia the most, but if they would have voted better (not sheeped as much?) the last few days for them woulda been easy. Hippie(Ninja) and myself(copycat) were highly suspected. If we would have been voted out early, clear movement patterns would have emerged. But, I don't want to shortchange myself or hippie, even though we were suspect, we must have been doing something right. Most of the time it takes only a gentle push towards a bandwagon on a suspicious player for a total village lynch mob, look at Typhus. We're still here at the end of the game. Don't ruffle feathers or make waves to stay alive as a mafia?

    edit: last sentence should add unless you are houn or rawking.

    oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Dogbone33Dogbone33 State of ConfusionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    El Skid wrote: »
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Also duel motive people, was there any minus to being one? Or did they just have easier win conditions available to them?

    I'm not sure what the single motive people got, but I was dual, and needed to have someone from one faction or the other kill Dr. Lucky, or I lost.

    I found being dual to be tougher. I had twice as many people to try and trust/clear. Then I found myself working more with the revenge gang then the money gang. Then almost all the revengers went down so I had to throw in more with money. By then the money gang was already up a creek we just didn't know who it was. TT and I both knew it was infiltrated we just didn't know by whom. Beiung dual motive involved a lot more legwork.

    Dogbone33 on
    Play Diablo 3 RoS with me. PSN-Dogbone19

    Play Fanduel. One Day Fantasy Leagues use my referral

    Be my friend on Magic Online! Dogbone19 is me.
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks Mr. B, it was a pleasure.

    Killing Kay was a moral victory for me :)

    crimsoncoyote on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oaklore wrote: »
    edit: last sentence should add unless you are houn or rawking.

    Yeah, I have no idea how I lived to the end. I like to think that by keeping myself visible, though, no one was paying as much attention to you two.

    Houn on
  • DarianDarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looking over everything, if the Ninja Bodyguard didn't exist, that by itself would have made a big difference in the game. I understand why you put it in, but why not have that at least cost cards to use or show up in narration (not just a PM to the person who attempted to hit Dr. Lucky)?

    As it was, the bodyguards had no special need to be in the room with Dr. Lucky until both the ninja and the copycat were dead, so a lot of the information that was available from movement patterns/failed attacks became much less useful. But we didn't know it.

    Darian on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think the Ninja would have been a bit better balanced if anytime the ability was used, the mechanic was outed. As it was, the bodyguards were told on day 8 that if the ninja was deployed, the mechanic would be outed.

    The bodyguards had no need to be anywhere near Dr. Lucky ever, so long as that one bodyguard was alive, and no incentive to not use the power until it was really late in the game.

    El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    God I am such a dumbass; the following is the PM I sent to the Kitano account regarding endgame predictions:
    Edcrab wrote:
    I reckon Obbi and Gumpy are up to no good! First guess would've been Houn and oaklore, but now I'm not so sure.

    Awesome game, by the way.

    How could I be so wrong

    Well except for this part:
    Edcrab wrote:
    Awesome game, by the way.

    Thanks for running it, Mr. B!

    Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Dunadan you should tell us all more about your superiority complex and how you had all the mafia pegged but didn't tell anyone because they are durrrr and unworthy of your magnificience.

    But if you push a suspicion based on good intentions you are hurting phalla and you should stop it.

    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Dunadumb wrote:
    alright: new meme people!

    Dac Vin hates everything except things that prevent rolecalls OLOL
    :P

    And networks. Why do you think I'm like the only one who loves thralls duna? :P

    Look at that moving goalpost olol

    El Skid wrote: »
    The moral of this story?

    Never let B:L into any sort of network. :P

    The whole mess happened because Gumpy let Rawking Goodguy into the network and not B:L, so... :P


    Thanks for hosting, Mr. B!

    B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Dac VinDac Vin and I'm here to make another anime speech because I'm compelled Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Dunadan you should tell us all more about your superiority complex and how you had all the mafia pegged but didn't tell anyone because they are durrrr and unworthy of your magnificience.

    But if you push a suspicion based on good intentions you are hurting phalla and you should stop it.

    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Dunadumb wrote:
    alright: new meme people!

    Dac Vin hates everything except things that prevent rolecalls OLOL
    :P

    And networks. Why do you think I'm like the only one who loves thralls duna? :P

    Look at that moving goalpost olol

    With the caveat that I ALWAYS hated networks and what you said is hurting phalla I think actually help iOH MY GOD WHY DID YOU POST SOMETHING SO AGGRESIVELY STUPID

    Dac Vin on
    camo_sig.png
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    The whole mess happened because Gumpy let Rawking Goodguy into the network and not B:L, so... :P

    Rawking was the core of the network, he was the first person to be invited to it and everything. I didn't just let him in as an afterthought |: Probably wouldn't have bothered to put one together if Rawking wasn't in the game.

    Gumpy on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Re: Ninja Bodyguard- I think it's a clever mechanic, but since it went against what was outlined in the OP, the fact that the village didn't know of the role's existence skewed things somewhat.

    Of course this is coming from a man who once gave the mafia the power to block a vote-kill, so take that with a grain of salt...

    Incidentally, the main reason I thought you were evil Gumpy was I suspected you'd been the one to tell B:L I was in your outfit. What was that all about.

    Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have no idea Edcrab

    Really

    Gumpy on
  • EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Of course this is coming from a man who once gave the mafia the power to block a vote-kill, so take that with a grain of salt...

    But that was such a great power! :D

    Ebfan on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, if I changed the rules on the ninja bodyguard, I don't think it would have made any difference for the first half of the game, since if an attack would be able to pierce Dr. Lucky's defenses, there would need to be four or fewer bodyguards remaining (the highest weapon value obtainable was 5, for attacks on Dr. Lucky). Until the bodyguards got down to something like six bodyguards or fewer, I think we would have seen approximately the same free-movement patterns as actually employed. Of course, the reason why I put in the ninja bodyguard in the form it did appear was to free up the bodyguards' need for positioning somewhat - the 'queen' piece to the 'Dr. Lucky' king, if you will - if might have tipped the scale in the other direction if that ability was replaced with a different one. Of course, it's hard to say for sure. The bodyguards still would have had a formidable presence, and their evictions coming before attacks would have still saved them from a loss had everything else played out the same.

    MrBlarney on
    chirisigtext.png
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Infidel wrote: »
    People realize that quoting role PMs to prove shit is lame right? And breaks/makes the game pointless?

    Kudos to people that actually try to reason things out, and those that didn't got what they deserved!

    It was completely possible for the village to figure this out in the beginning days, don't blame Blarney making a design decision to not allow role calls.

    I only cracked out the role PM when I was throwing down with RU and knew that there was something very, very wrong with the entire situation. That little exchange convinced me that the mafia had origional PM's, and since I knew they were the basis of everyone elses networking...

    Yea, I'm going with the body guard specific abilities being the main issue when it came to balance. If the guards were like any other player, but masoned and with their two evictions a day (That came before everything else) that would have been fine I think

    Ninja bodyguard ability caused the entire village to focus on me and boogey during the last days? Boo. no way of seeing that one coming. At least my theory that evictions coming first shutting dog down was right :/
    To be fair, both were slightly BS. The ninja one because there was literally no way for us to know. Bodyguards that died didn't die with their tag line added, so there was no way to know that they even had extra abilities beyond mason, cards, auto-evict, auto-guard lucky, and all the stuff listed in the OP.
    The evictions coming first was BS because they could remove players that were going to kill Dr. Lucky or them, EVEN if we had neutrallized ALL of their other defenses, and there was nothing we could do to stop it.

    And regarding the quoting of role PMs, and how the MrB expertly prevented role call from working... I call FAIL boat. Were this a village Vs. Mafia game, it is perfectly acceptable. This, however, was described as a factions vs mafia. And since there were few methods of seering, how the hell else were the factions supposed to form or work as a group? They weren't masoned. Apparently only two of the factions actually had seers, the others just had to rely on luck of the draw to get an investigate card. And the seers couldn't use their ability every day without using all their cards.
    I'd figure four non-mason'd factions should be more than enough to make things interesting, and to cause inter-village conflict/death. Mafia could have picked up parts of the role PMs from people that PM'd them, and tried to infiltrate the old fashioned way. That'd have been cool. But flat out handing them that... not cool.

    Alternately, a mention in the OP that the mafia knew the many motives of the guests would have been acceptable, though tough on the whole factioning side of the game.

    Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Well, if I changed the rules on the ninja bodyguard, I don't think it would have made any difference for the first half of the game, since if an attack would be able to pierce Dr. Lucky's defenses, there would need to be four or fewer bodyguards remaining (the highest weapon value obtainable was 5, for attacks on Dr. Lucky). Until the bodyguards got down to something like six bodyguards or fewer, I think we would have seen approximately the same free-movement patterns as actually employed. Of course, the reason why I put in the ninja bodyguard in the form it did appear was to free up the bodyguards' need for positioning somewhat - the 'queen' piece to the 'Dr. Lucky' king, if you will - if might have tipped the scale in the other direction if that ability was replaced with a different one. Of course, it's hard to say for sure. The bodyguards still would have had a formidable presence, and their evictions coming before attacks would have still saved them from a loss had everything else played out the same.

    The big issue with ninja bodyguarding was that the bodyguards guarding requirements was one of the only bits of information that I believed was 100% true, and that information was what I based a hell of a lot of stuff off. Kinda came from left field :/

    Gumpy on
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gumpy wrote: »
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Well, if I changed the rules on the ninja bodyguard, I don't think it would have made any difference for the first half of the game, since if an attack would be able to pierce Dr. Lucky's defenses, there would need to be four or fewer bodyguards remaining (the highest weapon value obtainable was 5, for attacks on Dr. Lucky). Until the bodyguards got down to something like six bodyguards or fewer, I think we would have seen approximately the same free-movement patterns as actually employed. Of course, the reason why I put in the ninja bodyguard in the form it did appear was to free up the bodyguards' need for positioning somewhat - the 'queen' piece to the 'Dr. Lucky' king, if you will - if might have tipped the scale in the other direction if that ability was replaced with a different one. Of course, it's hard to say for sure. The bodyguards still would have had a formidable presence, and their evictions coming before attacks would have still saved them from a loss had everything else played out the same.

    The big issue with ninja bodyguarding was that the bodyguards guarding requirements was one of the only bits of information that I believed was 100% true, and that information was what I based a hell of a lot of stuff off. Kinda came from left field :/

    Shoot. It's the only reason I thought you were evils, cause rawkking went and left you in the same room as Dr. Lucks, and I was pretty confident that boogedy was good. (rawkking actually was on my evil radar ... but we never crossed paths)

    Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If the village had just pursued its suspicions through BRAWN and VIOLENCE instead of working through the vote then we would have been good

    I only got a weapon card on the last day ]:

    Gumpy on
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Brawn wasn't working so well either. Oaklore was bloody well invincible with an auto defense of 2, PLUS failure cards.
    Houn apparently had enough to block the mighty spatula. And I tried to punch Hipple too. He lived.
    Though you had enough turns with Rawkking to use your patented metal hands of doom. Whats your excuse? :P
    I already know your excuse, I just wanted to be able to post a :P

    Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It was a bit of a ripple effect with the ninja bodyguard, yes? Well, I would like to try and continue my defense by saying that people seemed to be focused too much on eliminating Dr. Lucky, the end goal, rather than eliminating bodyguards, the subgoal. If this were a traditional mafia game, then it would have been 12 mafia among 65 players, a fairly standard amount (18.5%). Eliminating the mafia clears the path completely, and the village did not go far enough before going after Dr. Lucky. Was this in part due to the ninja bodyguard's presence? Perhaps. Then again, it might just be a different issue altogether that's just tied to the big picture in some other place.

    As for the issue of giving the mafia the faction PMs, I've already explained before that I wanted to give the mafia a chance to blend in, in case the village decided to go on a non-faction player hunting spree. Of course, I expected most groups to form up fairly quickly, but there were a lot of people who did not join up with their factions. I probably could have hinted the bodyguards' knowledge somewhere in the first narration, but I think it simply slipped my mind. Despite the fact that most people knew that most others were part of opposing factions (and the game was labeled as such in the OP), I did want to keep a certain amount of secrecy and uncertainty in regards to how big the factions were. The village would need to have worked with simply trust within their factions to get a lot of things done.

    In regards to the seers, the two players with the Detective roles were both dual-motive players on opposing sides of the spectrum - so technically all factions had some sort of seer.

    EDIT:
    Jobastion wrote: »
    Brawn wasn't working so well either. Oaklore was bloody well invincible with an auto defense of 2, PLUS failure cards.
    Houn apparently had enough to block the mighty spatula. And I tried to punch Hipple too. He lived.
    Though you had enough turns with Rawkking to use your patented metal hands of doom. Whats your excuse? :P
    I already know your excuse, I just wanted to be able to post a :P

    The 'defensive' daily events I put in place only served to exacerbate the amount of failure cards most of the remaining players had. If you weren't touched until later in the game, then it was likely that you would have lots and lots of defense at hand. I probably could have added a mechanic or daily event to resolve this problem, but it was too late to correct by the time the problem was seen. Sorry for that.

    MrBlarney on
    chirisigtext.png
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    It was a bit of a ripple effect with the ninja bodyguard, yes? Well, I would like to try and continue my defense by saying that people seemed to be focused too much on eliminating Dr. Lucky, the end goal, rather than eliminating bodyguards, the subgoal.

    I am pretty sure the people who ate delicious vote due to the Ninja were killed on suspicion of being bodyguards and not on suspicion of being Dr. Lucky :P

    Gumpy on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Gumpy wrote: »
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    It was a bit of a ripple effect with the ninja bodyguard, yes? Well, I would like to try and continue my defense by saying that people seemed to be focused too much on eliminating Dr. Lucky, the end goal, rather than eliminating bodyguards, the subgoal.

    I am pretty sure the people who ate delicious vote due to the Ninja were killed on suspicion of being bodyguards and not on suspicion of being Dr. Lucky :P

    Well, the last three days had some people going "I'm in the same room as Dr. Lucky, I'm-a gonna go kill him now," without thinking enough about if it was possible. And the ninja thing... that was only on Day 8. On Day 9 and 10, there was a perfectly good bodyguard target in the same room as Dr. Lucky that could have been voted out.

    MrBlarney on
    chirisigtext.png
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    El Skid wrote: »
    It's this stupid "I will compare the text of your role PM to see if you really ARE a villager" thing that is stupid and meta. If it hadn't cost me the game, I'd be glad to see that Blarney punished people who tried to use meta crap to network themselves.

    It would have been nice if he indicated in some way he would have been doing so. If he added something like "Additional Security Personal have been added to the Premises after word reached of several conspiracies to kill Dr. Lucky"
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Other Rules

    Standard Phalla rules apply: no sharing of host-provided PMs via screenshots and direct quotation. However, information may be shared indirectly, such as through rephrasing. No anonymous contact is allowed. All messages must be traceable to a player in the game. Play nice.

    Kitano wrote:
    Find others with your mindset and put together a plan to make sure Dr. Lucky is defeated by one of your own.

    (from role pm)

    Networking was encouraged...I thought it seemed. And I didn't have any tools at my disposal, it would have been just "Ok you're in" which probably would have produced the same results

    Egos on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Gumpy wrote: »
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    It was a bit of a ripple effect with the ninja bodyguard, yes? Well, I would like to try and continue my defense by saying that people seemed to be focused too much on eliminating Dr. Lucky, the end goal, rather than eliminating bodyguards, the subgoal.

    I am pretty sure the people who ate delicious vote due to the Ninja were killed on suspicion of being bodyguards and not on suspicion of being Dr. Lucky :P

    Well, the last three days had some people going "I'm in the same room as Dr. Lucky, I'm-a gonna go kill him now," without thinking enough about if it was possible. And the ninja thing... that was only on Day 8. On Day 9 and 10, there was a perfectly good bodyguard target in the same room as Dr. Lucky that could have been voted out.

    You have to admit that the faction rivalry aspect of the game made it seem like much more of a priority to whack Lucky as early as possible, though.

    FunkyWaltDogg on
    Burnage wrote:
    FWD is very good at this game.
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    As for the issue of giving the mafia the faction PMs, I've already explained before that I wanted to give the mafia a chance to blend in, in case the village decided to go on a non-faction player hunting spree. Of course, I expected most groups to form up fairly quickly, but there were a lot of people who did not join up with their factions. I probably could have hinted the bodyguards' knowledge somewhere in the first narration, but I think it simply slipped my mind. Despite the fact that most people knew that most others were part of opposing factions (and the game was labeled as such in the OP), I did want to keep a certain amount of secrecy and uncertainty in regards to how big the factions were. The village would need to have worked with simply trust within their factions to get a lot of things done.

    An alternate would have been to increase the village size. With the dual motives, each faction numbered 14, and the village core was only 9. If you'd pull 2 from each faction, they'd have been at 12 each, but the village core would have been sitting at 17. That's a much better base for the mafia to hide in, and the village would not take kindly to an individual faction deciding to kill them off. And since only two factions could win (multi-attack tie stuff that wasn't revealed until day 8 anyway non-withstanding), I think that would have reduced the possibility of a non-faction bloodbath, while still allowing the factions to operate as factions, instead of as bodyguard hideyholes.
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    EDIT:
    Jobastion wrote: »
    Brawn wasn't working so well either. Oaklore was bloody well invincible with an auto defense of 2, PLUS failure cards.
    Houn apparently had enough to block the mighty spatula. And I tried to punch Hipple too. He lived.
    Though you had enough turns with Rawkking to use your patented metal hands of doom. Whats your excuse? :P
    I already know your excuse, I just wanted to be able to post a :P

    The 'defensive' daily events I put in place only served to exacerbate the amount of failure cards most of the remaining players had. If you weren't touched until later in the game, then it was likely that you would have lots and lots of defense at hand. I probably could have added a mechanic or daily event to resolve this problem, but it was too late to correct by the time the problem was seen. Sorry for that.

    The defensive stuff was ok, in my book. Though the spite tokens could have come sooner, rather than later, or been more powerful. (though the latter would not have helped me, what with eviction being before attacks :/ - Really, I think that was the most annoying thing to find out.)

    All in all, I had fun, I just think the mafia benefited from feature creep, where individually many of their powers were cool, all together they were slightly overwhelming.

    Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Killing me and Eri on day one? Poor show, chaps, poor show.

    Burnage on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

    You have to admit that the faction rivalry aspect of the game made it seem like much more of a priority to whack Lucky as early as possible, though.

    yes..especially if you were single motivated. Your side has to kill Lucky or You Lose - No exceptions D:

    TBH I would have been more wary of spies if this win condition didn't seem hard enough to achieve on its own.

    Egos on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I want to reiterate that I had a really great time with this game, even if it wasn't perfectly balanced (and let's be honest, how many games with a big new concept like this are?). I hope we'll see a sequel down the road somewhere. Thanks, Mr. B.

    FunkyWaltDogg on
    Burnage wrote:
    FWD is very good at this game.
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Uh huh. Good points, all. Lots of different ways out there to tweak and adjust the game to a more balanced state. But I'd like to think that I did a fair job of setting up the game for a solo effort and the preparation time available. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself, anyways. :P

    MrBlarney on
    chirisigtext.png
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Uh huh. Good points, all. Lots of different ways out there to tweak and adjust the game to a more balanced state. But I'd like to think that I did a fair job of setting up the game for a solo effort and the preparation time available. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself, anyways. :P

    I'm sure it's possible to balance a game with entirely new mechanics on the first try, MrB.

    I just don't think it's all that likely. If people had fun, it's all good in my book- And it seems that's the prevailing sentiment, so :)

    El Skid on
    mrpaku wrote: »
    my name is precisionk and i'm ten tanks

    wrath God fear traitor evil
  • garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jobastion wrote: »
    Brawn wasn't working so well either. Oaklore was bloody well invincible with an auto defense of 2, PLUS failure cards.
    Houn apparently had enough to block the mighty spatula. And I tried to punch Hipple too. He lived.
    Though you had enough turns with Rawkking to use your patented metal hands of doom. Whats your excuse? :P
    I already know your excuse, I just wanted to be able to post a :P

    Hah, that auto defense of 2 was originally mine though. And I died on day four without having drawn a single failure card all game. More attacks going around earlier in the game would have resulted in less failure cards held toward the end.

    As for the presence of the ninja bodyguard, I really don't think it was a bad ability at all. As Mr. Blarney said, it would not have changed the early game one bit, and in the end the ability wasn't used once. Incidentally, you have to admit that we played the ability well. Hippie stayed well under the radar all game, and the bodyguard team was fairly committed to defending both Hippie and Oaklore, and drawing attention away from them whenever possible.

    Like having the role PMs, the ninja bodyguard seems to have worked just toward helping us blend in a little bit better. And honestly, the village did NOTHING to prevent that from happening. Right from the get-go, when I saw all the day one soft networks starting up I thought "this is going to be fun. muhahahahah"

    I almost find it silly how easily we controlled the vote throughout the game. We shifted bandwagons off of Rawkking and Oaklore, then the B:L thing with Edcrab took a miniwagon off of Fatal3RR0R and dominated all discussion for two full days, and later on the vote was rapidly shifting toward Typhus and he also got saved.

    What scared me the most as a bodyguard was how active and analytical the village was in the first few days. It seemed every single day began with a bodyguard's name showing up in bolded red. We made a pretty conscious effort, I think, to go after the folks who were doing the most thinking, though not necessarily the most talking. This culminated in evicting eeccccoooo, after which the village mostly descended into voting based on gut feelings.

    So yeah, the ninja bodyguard ability definitely had an impact on the game, but what's the point of giving people abilities if they don't? If there was a balance issue I would suggest that perhaps lowering the number of bodyguards might have been the solution to it, since it would likely lead to the village discovering his presence earlier (or for that matter, at all).

    EDIT: Oh yeah, and huge thanks to Mr. Blarney for running this! Can't imagine how much time he spent every night working out card movements and sending out PMs.

    garroad_ran on
  • ShadowThomasShadowThomas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for running the game MrB. It was fun.

    If you run the game again, assuming the chance of having a particular card drawn was weighted, i'd suggest having less failure cards drawn and more investigation cards. I had far too many towards the end of the games.

    ShadowThomas on
This discussion has been closed.